As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    0blique wrote: »
    So what is the general consensus on the value of the DLC? Is it similar to Shadow Broker in terms of quality of content or is it more like Arrival?

The squadmate is great but it makes the choice of who to take on a mission even harder

I want to take everyone everywhere
    except EDI because she has her best lines on the ship

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    @MildConfusion

Meh, I just wasn't a fan of the level. It wasn't bad, persay, just didn't standout.

Compared to Kasumi's mission which was all kinds of fun.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So what is the general consensus on the value of the DLC? Is it similar to Shadow Broker in terms of quality of content or is it more like Arrival?

I would liken it more to Kasumi.

I like the squadmate personally, that being said I always think jackass characters are hilarious.

But the recruitment mission was pretty meh.

The recruitment mission is basically one of the generic multiplayer map side missions, but with added (admittedly interesting) cutscenes. The value of the DLC is in the extra squadmate.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DHS wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »

It is like Kasumi

in that it involves the best squadmate in the game

Javik does kind of seem to be the personification of every position you espouse. Also, apparently he can (minor interaction spoilers)
    smell sex on you, the fucking perv.
    Being a Prothean must suck feeling all that background emotion and whatnot. The talk about him constantly washing his hands is a little sad. Makes you wonder what the war was like for them.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Razia wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Nope not watching nope. Never watching that everrrrrrr.

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

Questions about Rannoch...is it true that.
    If you let the Quarian Fleet get destoryed Tali commits suicide?
    Yes. She sobs, takes off her mask, and then swan dives off the cliffs.

There's a paragon interrupt to try to save her.

You still fail. :(

Goodness...they really aren't pulling any punches this time around.
    The one where you side with the quarians is just

holy shit

is this really happening

thank god circumstances aligned to let me pull it off

I'm not sure I would have taken either of them very well at all

Can you tell me about it? You gotten me really curious now.
    giant midgame spoiler
    you tell legion not to upload the data

then legion tells you to screw off and attacks you

tali intervenes, stabs legion

at which point you pump him full of bullets, one interrupt at a time

at which point he asks if this unit has a soul

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    havent got to any gut wrenching chocies yet, i just got done with sur'kesh, so far so good.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

holy shit

is this really happening

giant midgame spoiler

...Man...I don't know if I want to do my FailShep run anymore.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

holy shit

is this really happening

giant midgame spoiler

Again, D:

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Not worth $10 I think. You get a squaddie and the mission to get him like Zaeed and Kasumi in ME2. I'd liken the mission more to Zaeed's to Kasumi's as well. It's fairly short, and they're not showing you anything there that you won't see in other places whereas the Kasumi mission in ME2 was a neat Ocean's 11 romp.

The character is neat, but makes things later in the game feel sloppy, and at this point you're not hurting for guys to take along with you on missions.

camo_sig2.png
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

The squadmate is great but it makes the choice of who to take on a mission even harder

Honestly, James isn't really that interesting when he's actually on the missions, though he has great ship dialogue, and neither is Kaiden.

Of course that means I still have to pick between everyone else.

... Thinking about it Kaiden is incredibly disappointing as a squadmate.
    He joins up so late, his promotion to SPECTRE is almost irrelevant to the overall plot, he doesn't get the same amount of scenes as anyone except maybe Tali (and her unique ones are far more memorable), and he's almost exclusively geared towards a romance with femshep which means if you aren't romancing him he feels like half a character. Moreso than even the other love interests, or Garrus in ME2.

He doesn't even talk to anyone on the ship except Liara, one time!

Is Ashley any better if you don't romance her? I'm going back a little on my pro-Kaiden position.

Z0re on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Thessia dialogue:
    Vengeance: When we fought the Reapers, they turned our own children against us. They assumed we would hesitate to kill them.

Shepard: Did you ?

Vengeance: Which answer would you prefer ?

Dang.

Not really. I would say that most of Ashley good scenes are when she's
    in the hospital

That being said the scene where she
    passes out drunk
    is pretty hilarious.

Z0re wrote: »

Honestly, James isn't really that interesting when he's actually on the missions, though he has great ship dialogue, and neither is Kaiden.

He joins up so late, his promotion to SPECTRE is almost irrelevant to the overall plot, he doesn't get the same amount of scenes as anyone except maybe Tali (and her unique ones are far more memorable), and he's almost exclusively geared towards a romance with femshep which means if you aren't romancing him he feels like half a character. Moreso than even the other love interests, or Garrus in ME2.

Is Ashley any better if you don't romance her? I'm going back a little on my pro-Kaiden position.

To be honest, Kaiden wasn't much more than half a character in ME1, either. Which is why I always told him to hold the line on Virmire.

in the hospital

passes out drunk
    is pretty hilarious.

Shepard: Now would be a good time to test the fire alarm.

Ashley: I'll pay you a million credits to not do that.

in the hospital

passes out drunk
    is pretty hilarious.

That's what I was afraid of.
    Kaiden has such a great start with the Hospital stuff. He just stays in there way the fuck too long and then never integrates into the crew like everyone else. Javik has more intercrew interaction than he does.

Incredibly disappointing because I thought he'd at least have some interesting discussions with Liara/Tali/Garrus or Wrex. Or Chakwas and Joker. Or... anybody really.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Regarding characters
    I have to say that I've always felt about Kaidan that he distanced himself from the other squadmates. A mild (though probably natural) distrust of aliens perhaps - or at least certain kinds of aliens, like Turians and Krogan. Less blunt than Ash's perspective, but still subtly there. I might be reading too much in to the fact that he hardly ever seems to have friendly dialog with other squadmates, though. Yet he always did seem to have plenty to say to Ash when she was around.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Fairchild wrote: »

To be honest, Kaiden wasn't much more than half a character in ME1, either. Which is why I always told him to hold the line on Virmire.

Kaiden has some fun anecdotes and elevator discussions though, especially with Wrex and Garrus.

Plus I liked when you bonded over being biotic and your shared service record.

To be honest though I usually let him live because Ashley just annoyed me and I had no idea why we brought her along. Plus you have implied backstory with him! That gets dropped almost immediately!

in the hospital

passes out drunk
    is pretty hilarious.

Kaiden has such a great start with the Hospital stuff. He just stays in there way the fuck too long and then never integrates into the crew like everyone else. Javik has more intercrew interaction than he does.

Incredibly disappointing because I thought he'd at least have some interesting discussions with Liara/Tali/Garrus or Wrex. Or Chakwas and Joker. Or... anybody really.

Yeah, she a few more scenes but
    They only really matter if you romanced her.

I feel that since you can kill her during the coup attempt they didn't want to put as much into her as they did the people you get earlier.

in the hospital

passes out drunk
    is pretty hilarious.

Yeah, she a few more scenes but
    They only really matter if you romanced her.

I feel that since you can kill her during the coup attempt they didn't want to put as much into her as they did the people you get earlier.
    I dunno, you can kill Tali pretty brutally D: and she got a ton of stuff with Garrus and Liara. Plus her drunk scene. And she has some great stuff on the last few missions, especially in Sanctuary.

To be fair I don't know how much of Tali's interactions near the end of the game are because I romanced her and how much were just there.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    welp. me1/2 choices backfire
    just got the email about rana.. thats.. gonna cost me D:

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Kaiden has some fun anecdotes and elevator discussions though, especially with Wrex and Garrus.

To be honest though I usually let him live because Ashley just annoyed me and I had no idea why we brought her along. Plus you have implied backstory with him! That gets dropped almost immediately!

Ashley annoyed me in the beginning, but if you talked to her often, and as a paragon, she greatly toned down the anti-alien sentiment. She had more personality and history to explore than any of the other party members, and as a result I thought she was one of the more believable characters in the first game.

If you ignored her and told her off at every opportunity, then of course she'd remain cold.

Her not having as strong a presence as the others in this final game disappointed me.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Inter_d wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Rannoch was fist pump worthy with full paragon. Shepard is Space Jesus.
    Uplift the geth, save the quarians and give them back their home, and both sides live in peace. It was great.
    I'd like to think of it as a Doctor Who Style situation where despite everything going against you, where absolutely no one has any faith that you could actually pull it off, where everything is riding on the line and at best all you can do is talk... you still manage to overcome it all and save everyone.

Ending spoilers.
    Yes, and that, in the end, is the actually theme of the ME series. Which the ending completely craps on. And the people who say that wasn't the theme just don't get it, and the writers don't get it, ME has a fan base because that's what people loved about it, we the player as Shepard the hero overcoming all odds and triumphant. Screw with that and you screw with the fundamental attraction people had for the saga. That's why a lot of people say the ME3 ending ruins the entire series for them. Because even replaying ME1, I can never get the feeling of Shepard overcoming the odds feeling back because I know in the end he doesn't.

I think it is pretty presumptive to say that people who don't agree with your interpretation don't get something.
    If anything I would say that the majority of ME3 is spend casting Shepard in a much more human light.

Showing that while yes, Shepard does get things done, it takes a very heavy toll in the process.

I personally would say that it isn't so much that everything Shepard does comes out perfect, moreso that Shepard has to drive to get things done where other people aren't willing to try.

If anything I would say that Shepard giving up so much in the end for that one purpose was the defining moment of that persona.

When I say "don't get it", "it" refers to the reason why the majority of the fans love the series.
    It's not an insult, just stating that people don't get us and thus don't get our reaction.
    Well, it is an insult to the writers because I think it was their business to know why their audience likes their work. But for the gamers, people like you, I'm just trying to explain a fact, that for many people the ending "runing the entire series" is not a hyperbole, it's a fact because it took away from the entire series the thing we loved about it.

I can understand that I guess. But, I think since we all make our own Shepard in our heads you can't say that goes for the majority I mean I know.

End Spoilers
    There are some people who wanted a happy ending. But their are others who hated the ending but were perfectly fine with Shepard biting it. Even in this thread here.
    I think at the very least the game should have offered an option for the happy ending. Even if incredibly hard, like you have to beat it on insanity with 8000 EMS or something, but it should have been there for people to strive for. But I would have been okay with an ending where Shepard dies for a meaningful victory. Meaningful victory being that the galactic community is largely preserved, which mean the Mass Effectg Relays stay, the different species you helped get to go home and rebuild, etc. That would be have been okay. Here though every option felt like a "defeat".
    I think a sad ending is fine, and what I was prepared for. I didn't really think Shepard was going to make it out. I do think that it would have been better if they had just kept it simple. Either use the crucible to destroy the reapers or try to control them. You die either way, and then we get an ending where we find out what happens to Earth, we find out what happens to the galaxy regarding the big decisions we made in game (geth/quarians, krogan re-expansion), and we find out what happens to the people who you've cared about this whole game. What do they do with their new lives. It doesn't have to be extensive. I don't need 15 epilogues, but would 5 minutes of cutscene really have broken the bank? This, especially for whoever you romanced. I had a relationship with Garrus over two games and their talk before the final mission very nearly made me cry. I want to know what happens to him.

• Achilles Last StandAchilles Last Stand Registered User regular

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

holy shit

is this really happening

Same here. I watched a video of it and I wanted to cry. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I had to do it in my game.

I probably would cry.
    When I shot Mordin, I had to stop playing. I got up from my computer and went into the living room and told my wife how aweful I felt. That whole scene, no matter what you choose, is just so emotionally powerful. I kept telling myself that it was for the greater good of the galaxy and that the Krogan will still live, just as long as Wrex never finds out.

But then he does find out and threatens to pull his troops out. I couldn't risk it. I had to stop playing again after that moment.

I have never felt so aweful from the choices in a game before and it is a credit to the writers that I felt like that.

God damn that ending for spoiling what would be the most emotionally powerful game I've ever played.
    When I got to that moment of the game, I left it there for an hour while I took a walk thinking about it. I did this on at least a few occasions. My second playthrough, knowing what I do now, I am going to make sure my favorite characters will not get messed up.

steam_sig.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Asiina wrote: »
    Uplift the geth, save the quarians and give them back their home, and both sides live in peace. It was great.
    I'd like to think of it as a Doctor Who Style situation where despite everything going against you, where absolutely no one has any faith that you could actually pull it off, where everything is riding on the line and at best all you can do is talk... you still manage to overcome it all and save everyone.

Ending spoilers.
    Yes, and that, in the end, is the actually theme of the ME series. Which the ending completely craps on. And the people who say that wasn't the theme just don't get it, and the writers don't get it, ME has a fan base because that's what people loved about it, we the player as Shepard the hero overcoming all odds and triumphant. Screw with that and you screw with the fundamental attraction people had for the saga. That's why a lot of people say the ME3 ending ruins the entire series for them. Because even replaying ME1, I can never get the feeling of Shepard overcoming the odds feeling back because I know in the end he doesn't.

I think it is pretty presumptive to say that people who don't agree with your interpretation don't get something.
    If anything I would say that the majority of ME3 is spend casting Shepard in a much more human light.

Showing that while yes, Shepard does get things done, it takes a very heavy toll in the process.

I personally would say that it isn't so much that everything Shepard does comes out perfect, moreso that Shepard has to drive to get things done where other people aren't willing to try.

If anything I would say that Shepard giving up so much in the end for that one purpose was the defining moment of that persona.

When I say "don't get it", "it" refers to the reason why the majority of the fans love the series.
    It's not an insult, just stating that people don't get us and thus don't get our reaction.
    Well, it is an insult to the writers because I think it was their business to know why their audience likes their work. But for the gamers, people like you, I'm just trying to explain a fact, that for many people the ending "runing the entire series" is not a hyperbole, it's a fact because it took away from the entire series the thing we loved about it.

I can understand that I guess. But, I think since we all make our own Shepard in our heads you can't say that goes for the majority I mean I know.

End Spoilers
    There are some people who wanted a happy ending. But their are others who hated the ending but were perfectly fine with Shepard biting it. Even in this thread here.
    I think at the very least the game should have offered an option for the happy ending. Even if incredibly hard, like you have to beat it on insanity with 8000 EMS or something, but it should have been there for people to strive for. But I would have been okay with an ending where Shepard dies for a meaningful victory. Meaningful victory being that the galactic community is largely preserved, which mean the Mass Effectg Relays stay, the different species you helped get to go home and rebuild, etc. That would be have been okay. Here though every option felt like a "defeat".
    I think a sad ending is fine, and what I was prepared for. I didn't really think Shepard was going to make it out. I do think that it would have been better if they had just kept it simple. Either use the crucible to destroy the reapers or try to control them. You die either way, and then we get an ending where we find out what happens to Earth, we find out what happens to the galaxy regarding the big decisions we made in game (geth/quarians, krogan re-expansion), and we find out what happens to the people who you've cared about this whole game. What do they do with their new lives. It doesn't have to be extensive. I don't need 15 epilogues, but would 5 minutes of cutscene really have broken the bank? This, especially for whoever you romanced. I had a relationship with Garrus over two games and their talk before the final mission very nearly made me cry. I want to know what happens to him.

You do know, a little.
    He'll never be alone. :cry:

edited March 2012

Ending spoilers.

End Spoilers

You do know, a little.

Yeah. I think a good deal of people's complaints tend to be that you
    don't get a final epilogue showing the fate of your friends. I believe if they have given you that, while some would have still not been happy, the ending would have been far better received.

And even though I like the ending I believe that to be a valid complaint. Because that final scene with Joker makes no sense and could have been spent on something worthwhile.

Dragkonias on

Ashley annoyed me in the beginning, but if you talked to her often, and as a paragon, she greatly toned down the anti-alien sentiment and became an interesting character. She probably had the most character and history, in fact, of all the party members in the first game. As a result, I also thought she was one of the more believable characters.

If you ignored her and told her off at every opportunity, then of course she'd remain cold.

Her not having as strong a presence as the others in this final game disappointed me.

See, I feel almost the same way about Kaiden in game 1 and felt Ashley was this weird mix of character traits that never really meshed together. I even tried romancing her once and was as nice to her as possible.

Probably doesn't help that I loathe Tennyson and Ulysses.

Because I am a sissy.

you should
    it's really well done

That along with Rannoch.

Fuuuuuuck.

holy shit

is this really happening

giant midgame spoiler

...Man...I don't know if I want to do my FailShep run anymore.
    Although I'm annoyed with the ending I still want to do a renegade run. Maybe since I know there's really nothing riding on it (ie keeping people alive so I can be a bitch to them in the next game) I may just choose the evil kill everyone route, do nothing extra, let the galaxy burn.

Although my renegade shep romanced Thane. I cried like a little girl with my paragon Shepard when he died and they were barely friends. I'm going to lose it completely on my renegade run. If he says "siha" once that'll be it. It will make the fight with Kai Leng that much better though.

Everyone hates ULYSSES. Tennyson, however, what are you, some kind of dirty Communist hippy ?

Ending spoilers.

End Spoilers

You do know, a little.

CRIED LIKE A LITTLE GIRL!

Seriously, there are three scenes that made me cry in this game, and that was one of them. You can probably guess the other two. It really is great storytelling for 99% of the game.

Wow. When you do the Thessia mission,
    you definitely want to bring Vengeance. He explains to Liara how all of the Athame artifacts are actually reminders of how the Protheans protected the asari.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    kasumi's best line was the one while you're walking around and she's all
    you know who would get me back on the normandy? jacob. Have you heard from jacob?

and then shepard says something about her dead boyfriend and she's all

'I'm grieving, not dead'

ahaha

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited March 2012

Everyone hates ULYSSES. Tennyson, however, what are you, some kind of dirty Communist hippy ?

He loves the Romantics. I don't think I have to explain myself any further.

On actual ME3 discussion,
    There were a few scenes that made me almost shed a single, very manly, tear.

Mordin, Legion and Thane are all pretty obvious. The other one that really hit home for me though was Samara's whole plot and the absolute soul-crushing depression of watching her resign herself to suicide instead of murdering her last child. I don't even like Samara that much, but that scene was very well done.

If I'd actually had to kill Legion, Tali, Mordin or Kaiden I think I would have lost it for sure. I'm just glad I managed to talk them all down because just reading about how those could have gone is depressing me.

Also everyone is aware there is a holo-terminal at the end of the game where you can talk to most of your ME2 squadmates before the end, right before you go up to see Anderson? Grunt's talk is pretty neat.

Z0re on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular

Ending spoilers.

End Spoilers

You do know, a little.

Yeah. I think a good deal of people's complaints tend to be that you
    don't get a final epilogue showing the fate of your friends. I believe if they have given you that, while some would have still not been happy, the ending would have been far better received.

And even though I like the ending I believe that to be a valid complaint. Because that final scene with Joker makes no sense and could have been spent on something worthwhile.
    This, honestly, was the initial reason I had a problem with the ending. I didn't love the other parts but I was mostly fine with them at the exact moment it happened.

But not having any explanation of what happened to anyone puzzled me, and led me to look at spoilers to try to figure out if I was just missing something.

And then, as time passed and I read other people talking about it I became more and more disenchanted with it as a whole. So much so that I can't bring myself to replay a game I took time off from work to play :/

I still don't understand why they thought no "here's what happened to all your dudes" bit was necessary for a series that was highly character driven in nature. I think a lot of people would still have issues with it but if you had a nice montage of all my homies at the end it would have taken the sting off a bit. The abruptness just makes all its' other issues glaringly apparent.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, I almost walked by that room. Glad I didn't.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    It is seriously amazing how different that can go, like Tuchanka and Rannoch can both possibly end on two completely opposite extremes of the emotional spectrum, between utter triumph and total despair.

That is how you successfully culminate three games worth of player choices.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    After playing through ME2 and 3 as a Soldier - because, well, the thing seems designed as a cover-based shooter, and soldier seemed like the shootiest class - I decided to try out Vanguard for a second run through 3.

Holy crap. I'm bowled over. They took all the third-person shooter out of ME and still made it work.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular

Ashley annoyed me in the beginning, but if you talked to her often, and as a paragon, she greatly toned down the anti-alien sentiment and became an interesting character. She probably had the most character and history, in fact, of all the party members in the first game. As a result, I also thought she was one of the more believable characters.

See, I feel almost the same way about Kaiden in game 1 and felt Ashley was this weird mix of character traits that never really meshed together. I even tried romancing her once and was as nice to her as possible.

This is rehashing an argument that dates back to ME1, but I always thought the "Ashley is a space nazi" routine was unfair. She suspicious of aliens at first, but she got over it later. That's perfectly understandable to me.

But I will agree that her taste in poetry is bad. I don't like Ulysses OR Walt Whitman. Romanced her anyway because I have a thing for tomboys.

edited March 2012

This is rehashing an argument that dates back to ME1, but I always thought the "Ashley is a space nazi" routine was unfair. She suspicious of aliens at first, but she got over it later. That's perfectly understandable to me.

But I will agree that her taste in poetry is bad. I don't like Ulysses OR Walt Whitman. Romanced her anyway because I have a thing for tomboys.

Yeah, I won't talk about her actually being Space Hitler because she's not.

But someone designed it so that her worst moments are all clustered right at the beginning and she gives a horribly bad first impression. Like the first thing you hear her say when you get control on the citadel is the animals and aliens line and this is after she basically forces her way onto your mission. Plus she doesn't have neat superpowers like Kaiden and she badmouths Tali, Garrus and Wrex when you meet them. Not to mention Liara.

She's ultimately pretty inoffensive beyond that, but every time you're 'forced' to interact with her she's at her worst which fuels a lot of the sentiment I think.

Oh, and she's religious and likes poetry which makes her an easy target on the internet of 2008.

Z0re on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    You know, thinking about it, this game had a lot of
    suicide. Or, at least potentially did. Tali, Samara, The Illusive Man, who else? (Obviously a ton more if you count, like, Mordin-style self-sacrifice)

This discussion has been closed.