As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    You know, thinking about it, this game had a lot of
    suicide. Or, at least potentially did. Tali, Samara, The Illusive Man, who else? (Obviously a ton more if you count, like, Mordin-style self-sacrifice)
    That one Asari from the hospital sidequest who begs you to get her gun back for her.

Wrex can pull off a suicide-by-Shepard if you kill Mordin. Ditto Legion if you stop his upload.

I think Cortez can as well in the final mission if you don't manage to talk him out of his suicidal tendencies from losing his husband.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    oh yes, I remember before the Space Hitler thing really settled in there were just as many people associating her with Westboro or whatever

PNk1Ml4.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The problem with Ashley is that she is

a down to earth, hometown girl
    has sophistication and quotes poetry
    is a space racist

those first two are opposites and thus cancel each other out

So all that's left is the space racism

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    You know, a lot about the ending actually was really awesome
    The fleet engagement scene. The final dash at Harbinger. The final conversation with the Illusive Man and Anderson, were all really great. I liked the fact that Shepard had to limp through that last bit of the game, it really gave you that sense of desperation, like Shepard was pushed to the absolute limit.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Commander, maybe we shouldn't let this random bounty hunter onto our prototype military ship with a secret experimental drive core

it's because he's a krogan, isn't it

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited March 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    Commander, maybe we shouldn't let this random bounty hunter onto our prototype military ship with a secret experimental drive core

it's because he's a krogan, isn't it

everyone knows Krogan aren't good with technology. There's no way his simple brain will be able to comprehend this advanced drive core.

Honestly Ashley, you need to stop being so racist all the time.

Z0re on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    Ending question:
    according to official ending stuff I'm supposed to get something better like "Shepard and Anderson being alive" if I get 5000+ war readiness point. But I just beat the game and as far as I could tell having 5000 points didn't get me anything. Just saw Joker and EDI holding hands and fucking Buzz Aldrin rambling to a child post-credits. Are my points going to be important in some future DLC or did I just derp around the galaxy for nothing?

ezek1t.jpg
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    The fleet engagement scene. The final dash at Harbinger. The final conversation with the Illusive Man and Anderson, were all really great. I liked the fact that Shepard had to limp through that last bit of the game, it really gave you that sense of desperation, like Shepard was pushed to the absolute limit.

Indeed
    That's part of why the last few minutes of a game were such a letdown. The moments beforehand were so damn good, which is why every fanmade ending that cuts out the Deus Ex Machina resonates really well

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Ending question:
    according to official ending stuff I'm supposed to get something better like "Shepard and Anderson being alive" if I get 5000+ war readiness point. But I just beat the game and as far as I could tell having 5000 points didn't get me anything. Just saw Joker and EDI holding hands and fucking Buzz Aldrin rambling to a child post-credits. Are my points going to be important in some future DLC or did I just derp around the galaxy for nothing?
    Shep only lives through the Destruction ending, and you only get a shot of his armor and a gasp if you have 4,000 or 5000 effective readiness based on some of your other choices.

The alive Anderson thing is only refering to if TIM forces you to kill him or you talk TIM into committing suicide/shooting him before that. Anderson still dies, you just get a heart to heart.

Z0re on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I was reminded A LOT of MGS4's hallway with that scene. Big event riding on a crippled main character that is trying to stop the big evil.

newSig.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ending question:

You ONLY get that if you pick
    the destruction ending

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ending question:

Ending
    Your extra assets got you the possibility of EDI being alive, for one. She's not alive in any other ending but the one you choose, and you don't have access to that ending without high assets.

Additionally the stargazer bit is reliant on assets, I think.

Lower assets means you have fewer choices. Sometimes only 2, sometimes only 1. If you only get 1 choice, then Earth is completely razed and all life on it destroyed.

So yeah, assets do make some difference, though it doesn't seem like much.

As far as Anderson being alive, there's no way to make him live to the end, but high enough assets allows you to keep TIM from shooting him so you can have him say he's proud of you (still one of my favorite moments).

Additionally: High assets will allow for a short 5 second scene at the end of the Destroy choice that shows (or at least hints) that Shepard is still be alive for that ending.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ending question:

the destruction ending

For clarification
    The Joker/EDI thing is part of the destruction ending.

newSig.jpg
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nocren wrote: »
    Ending question:

the destruction ending

For clarification

Huh? (End spoilers)
    You can only get Joker and EDI together at the end if you pick Synthesis. In every other ending, she does not walk out of the ship, and that includes Control, for some reason.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    After playing through ME2 and 3 as a Soldier - because, well, the thing seems designed as a cover-based shooter, and soldier seemed like the shootiest class - I decided to try out Vanguard for a second run through 3.

Holy crap. I'm bowled over. They took all the third-person shooter out of ME and still made it work.

welcome, brother.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited March 2012
    Ending question:

the destruction ending

For clarification
    ??? EDI dies in the Destruction ending, you only see the EDI/Joker scene in Synthesis.

In Destruction and Control, random squadmates including your Love interest come out with Joker.

Synthesis is Joker and EDI.

Z0re on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Wow. When you do the Thessia mission,
    you definitely want to bring Vengeance. He explains to Liara how all of the Athame artifacts are actually reminders of how the Protheans protected the asari.

Wow, again. Take my advice and underline it.
    Bringing Vengeance to Thessia pays off repeatedly afterward, in scene after scene.

Z0re wrote: »
    Ending question:

the destruction ending

For clarification
    ??? EDI dies in the Destruction ending, you only see the EDI/Joker scene in Control.

In Destruction, random squadmates including your Love interest come out with Joker.

Control is Joker and EDI/

Synthesis cuts away before you can see how the synthetic/organic fusion changes people.

Dudes, NO. I have played the endings you are talking about. I watched them in the game.
    Synthesis: Joker, EDI, and your LI walk out of the ship
    Control: Joker, your LI, and a third crewmate walk out
    Destroy: Joker, your LI, and a third crewmate walk out.

EDI ONLY walks out during Synthesis. None of the others.

Also if you do a fail run (assets too low), you see the door opening but it cuts away before you see anyone walk out.

I was reminded A LOT of MGS4's hallway with that scene. Big event riding on a crippled main character that is trying to stop the big evil.

It's actually an interesting trope in gaming, and when it's used it has a lot of impact
    I think it's because for the most part games tend to be about imparting a power fantasy, and giving the player lots of agency. Most games outside of survival horror are about giving you a sense of strength. When they take that away, and hobble you, so that the character you're playing as is actually weaker than you are normally, that makes a big impact. It's one of the reasons I loved the Joker bit in ME2 so much. You go from being Shepard who would just blow the heads off of all those invading Collectors to Joker who can only feebly limp away, and it makes just crossing the Normandy seem heroic.

Cambiata wrote: »
    Ending question:

the destruction ending

For clarification
    ??? EDI dies in the Destruction ending, you only see the EDI/Joker scene in Control.

In Destruction, random squadmates including your Love interest come out with Joker.

Synthesis cuts away before you can see how the synthetic/organic fusion changes people.

Dudes, NO. I have played the endings you are talking about. I watched them in the game.

Also if you do a fail run (assets too low), you see the door opening but it cuts away before you see anyone walk out.
    Noticed and edited my original post already, got some of the endings mixed up.

Could have sworn it cut away when I chose Synthesis.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

It's actually an interesting trope in gaming, and when it's used it has a lot of impact
    I think it's because for the most part games tend to be about imparting a power fantasy, and giving the player lots of agency. Most games outside of survival horror are about giving you a sense of strength. When they take that away, and hobble you, so that the character you're playing as is actually weaker than you are normally, that makes a big impact. It's one of the reasons I loved the Joker bit in ME2 so much. You go from being Shepard who would just blow the heads off of all those invading Collectors to Joker who can only feebly limp away, and it makes just crossing the Normandy seem heroic.
    I liked it here because I was still Shepard. In ME2, that was the only time I'm ever outside of the main character, so it left me going "what the hell is this bullshit".

His dialog was funny, but yanking me out of Shepard I found jarring as hell.

I have the same complaint (but much more so) with KOTOR2.

Pretty much any of the games where it's either first person or over-the-shoulder third person.

I'm generally ok with it for isometric and similar...

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...I just started my FemShep Infiltrator run.

And Kaiden was not this buff in ME1.

• RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Ha! You guys were right. Tali Related.
    Drunk Tali was great. Emergency Induction Port, indeed.

"Don't you "ah" me. You sound like a vorcha." (funny as hell to me, as MaleShep and the vorcha are voiced by Mark Meer)

"I'm having a drink with my boyfriend. My human boyfriend. Ha! My father would've hated you!"

"Here's to him, then."

"And to Miranda. Nice job ,You genetically perfect Cerberus Cheerleader bos'tet. Keelah'selai."

blondeshep.jpg
    Also, concerning how war assets affect your ending:
    For the little CGI bit where you see the humans fighting reapers on Earth, how many war assets you collected determines whether activating the Crucible only damages/controls the reapers, or kills all the humans too.

Orca wrote: »

I liked it here because I was still Shepard. In ME2, that was the only time I'm ever outside of the main character, so it left me going "what the hell is this bullshit".

Pretty much any of the games where it's either first person or over-the-shoulder third person.

Heh.
    The Joker level in ME2 is one of my very favorite parts of that game.

Ok, my bad.
    I thought he was referring to something else as well.

newSig.jpg
    Razia wrote: »
    Ha! You guys were right. Tali Related.
    Drunk Tali was great. Emergency Induction Port, indeed.

"Don't you "ah" me. You sound like a vorcha." (funny as hell to me, as MaleShep and the vorcha are voiced by Mark Meer)

"I'm having a drink with my boyfriend. My human boyfriend. Ha! My father would've hated you!"

"Here's to him, then."

"And to Miranda. Nice job ,You genetically perfect Cerberus Cheerleader bos'tet. Keelah'selai."

If you have the DLC character:
    Go down to speak with him immediately after that conversation, it's hilarious.

"You liiiike her"

• piLpiL Registered User regular

Well, just spoiled something by reading the quote tree, but didn't spoil anything when I read Winky's. That's my fault. Anyway, the Joker scene was one of my favorite scenes in the entire game basically because Joker goes, "Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit" the entire time. One time I stabbed myself in the hand and didn't know what to do, so I whimpered curse words until I got to the hospital. It is what I feel like I would be saying until I was captured and juiced by collectors.

edited March 2012

I always loved those sections, getting an outside view on the player-avatar is fun and I hope it becomes more common in the future.

It gives an opportunity for interaction that you don't get when you're in control all the time, and I view the player character as mostly nothing but an avatar to experience the other characters anyways. Hawke and Shepard got a little beyond that, but eh they weren't nearly as important as most of the crew and were probably the second most boring character on the ship after Kaiden.

... Million dollar idea for Bioware's next RPG, you play as a Ghost and hang around former party members as they save the world. Learn what everyone really thought of you, influence the world in minor ways for them, fight spectral foes trying to stop them... I would buy it 10 times.

Z0re on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Okay...I have a question...involving Joker's family.
    So...Joker said his family was on Tiptree right. And his sister was 15.

That Asari you talked to was stationed on Tiptree. The girl she met was 15.

Coincidence?

• AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    Wow. When you do the Thessia mission,
    you definitely want to bring Vengeance. He explains to Liara how all of the Athame artifacts are actually reminders of how the Protheans protected the asari.

Wow, again. Take my advice and underline it.
    Bringing Vengeance to Thessia pays off repeatedly afterward, in scene after scene.

The second part of the scene happens whether you take him with you or not. But I think you have to go in there before you talk to anyone else. I'm not sure, but I always start my crew-talkin' after a mission from the bottom of the ship and work my way up so I got to see an interesting conversation.

I always loved those sections, getting an outside view on the player-avatar is fun and I hope it becomes more common in the future.

It gives an opportunity for interaction that you don't get when you're in control all the time, and I view the player character as mostly nothing but an avatar to experience the other characters anyways.

... Million dollar idea for Bioware's next RPG, you play as a Ghost and hang around former party members as they save the world. Learn what everyone really thought of you, influence the world in minor ways for them, fight spectral foes trying to stop them... I would buy it 10 times.

I would actually really like to see a Bioware game where you control and have conversations and interactions as many different characters. Like you said, in these games you only really tend to see one side of the story, it would be cool to investigate characters from different angles.

• MelokuMeloku Ask me about my Illusions Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Coincidence?

No.

edited March 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Coincidence?
    Not at all. D:

Orca on
    Is anything ever coincidence?

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but was anyone else grinning like an idiot during their last tour of the Normandy when they:
    …Walked in on Tali and Garrus hooking up? 'Cause I was. Those two crazy kids deserve each other.

It gives an opportunity for interaction that you don't get when you're in control all the time, and I view the player character as mostly nothing but an avatar to experience the other characters anyways.

I would actually really like to see a Bioware game where you control and have conversations and interactions as many different characters. Like you said, in these games you only really tend to see one side of the story, it would be cool to investigate characters from different angles.

Building a player party instead of a single character would be pretty neat, though also risky and ridiculously resource intensive.

Give us building blocks of personality and backstory and jump around 3-5 characters and develop them in different ways. Give them tendencies to play out conversations in one way unless you're in control and influence them in another which make their relationships develop in different ways...

Maybe in ten years it'll be remotely feasible!

Sneaks wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but was anyone else grinning like an idiot during their last tour of the Normandy when they:
    …Walked in on Tali and Garrus hooking up? 'Cause I was. Those two crazy kids deserve each other.

Is that what happens?
    I romanced Garrus, so they were just joking around about guns and stuff when I walked in.

Part of the reason I want to do a second playthrough, so I can see which talking is romance-specific. My renegade shepard romanced Liara and Thane. I can't even imagine the Liara dialogue is all that different if you actually romanced her since her and FemShep are BFFs all game long.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Ending question:

the destruction ending

For clarification

Actually, EDI can show up in the Control ending if she was in your squad. I did all 3 endings earlier today and the only one where she didn't show was Destroy.

Sneaks wrote: »

Yes. That was the cutest thing ever. As cute as drunk Tali.

This discussion has been closed.