As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Z0re wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    You know, a lot about the ending actually was really awesome
    The fleet engagement scene. The final dash at Harbinger. The final conversation with the Illusive Man and Anderson, were all really great. I liked the fact that Shepard had to limp through that last bit of the game, it really gave you that sense of desperation, like Shepard was pushed to the absolute limit.
    I was reminded A LOT of MGS4's hallway with that scene. Big event riding on a crippled main character that is trying to stop the big evil.

It's actually an interesting trope in gaming, and when it's used it has a lot of impact
    I think it's because for the most part games tend to be about imparting a power fantasy, and giving the player lots of agency. Most games outside of survival horror are about giving you a sense of strength. When they take that away, and hobble you, so that the character you're playing as is actually weaker than you are normally, that makes a big impact. It's one of the reasons I loved the Joker bit in ME2 so much. You go from being Shepard who would just blow the heads off of all those invading Collectors to Joker who can only feebly limp away, and it makes just crossing the Normandy seem heroic.
    I liked it here because I was still Shepard. In ME2, that was the only time I'm ever outside of the main character, so it left me going "what the hell is this bullshit".

His dialog was funny, but yanking me out of Shepard I found jarring as hell.

I have the same complaint (but much more so) with KOTOR2.

Pretty much any of the games where it's either first person or over-the-shoulder third person.

I'm generally ok with it for isometric and similar...
    I always loved those sections, getting an outside view on the player-avatar is fun and I hope it becomes more common in the future.

It gives an opportunity for interaction that you don't get when you're in control all the time, and I view the player character as mostly nothing but an avatar to experience the other characters anyways.

... Million dollar idea for Bioware's next RPG, you play as a Ghost and hang around former party members as they save the world. Learn what everyone really thought of you, influence the world in minor ways for them, fight spectral foes trying to stop them... I would buy it 10 times.

I would actually really like to see a Bioware game where you control and have conversations and interactions as many different characters. Like you said, in these games you only really tend to see one side of the story, it would be cool to investigate characters from different angles.

Building a player party instead of a single character would be pretty neat, though also risky and ridiculously resource intensive.

Give us building blocks of personality and backstory and jump around 3-5 characters and develop them in different ways. Give them tendencies to play out conversations in one way unless you're in control and influence them in another which make their relationships develop in different ways...

Maybe in ten years it'll be remotely feasible!

I mean, it might be easier if they kind of cut back on choices. Like, you will mostly only be in charge of making big decisions instead of every little retort, and the dialogue of the characters will do the Hawke thing from DA2 where they'll generally respond automatically in a way that's consistent with the decisions you've made up to that point.

But I would really like to see something more character driven, where rather than having straight approval bars or binary paragon/renegade choices or something like that the characters will have a few different character-specific dimensions that are shaped by how you respond to them. As an example, take Mordin in ME2.
    Say you chose to respond to his opinion on the necessity of the genophage with doubt, it would build up "anti-genophage" points for him, and just the opposite if you agreed with him. Then his character would develop and act differently along those lines. Obviously, this isn't something that would be transparent for the player or anything, but it would make the characters respond to you, and they would grow to agree with you or push back against you.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    *Javik speaks*
    Wrex: Who's that?

:P

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    The fleet engagement scene. The final dash at Harbinger. The final conversation with the Illusive Man and Anderson, were all really great. I liked the fact that Shepard had to limp through that last bit of the game, it really gave you that sense of desperation, like Shepard was pushed to the absolute limit.
    I was reminded A LOT of MGS4's hallway with that scene. Big event riding on a crippled main character that is trying to stop the big evil.

It's actually an interesting trope in gaming, and when it's used it has a lot of impact
    I think it's because for the most part games tend to be about imparting a power fantasy, and giving the player lots of agency. Most games outside of survival horror are about giving you a sense of strength. When they take that away, and hobble you, so that the character you're playing as is actually weaker than you are normally, that makes a big impact. It's one of the reasons I loved the Joker bit in ME2 so much. You go from being Shepard who would just blow the heads off of all those invading Collectors to Joker who can only feebly limp away, and it makes just crossing the Normandy seem heroic.
    Agreed, and I wish more people understood this. It's weird but I once wrote a long post on why Mission Impossible 4 was better than 2 or 3 that centered around this idea.

But it did have an emotional impact to see the normally-badass Shepard barely able to stand, and vulnerable at this most crucial moment.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ending question:
    according to official ending stuff I'm supposed to get something better like "Shepard and Anderson being alive" if I get 5000+ war readiness point. But I just beat the game and as far as I could tell having 5000 points didn't get me anything. Just saw Joker and EDI holding hands and fucking Buzz Aldrin rambling to a child post-credits. Are my points going to be important in some future DLC or did I just derp around the galaxy for nothing?

You ONLY get that if you pick
    the destruction ending

For clarification
    The Joker/EDI thing is part of the destruction ending.
    ??? EDI dies in the Destruction ending, you only see the EDI/Joker scene in Control.

In Destruction, random squadmates including your Love interest come out with Joker.

Control is Joker and EDI/

Synthesis cuts away before you can see how the synthetic/organic fusion changes people.

Dudes, NO. I have played the endings you are talking about. I watched them in the game.
    Synthesis: Joker, EDI, and your LI walk out of the ship
    Control: Joker, your LI, and a third crewmate walk out
    Destroy: Joker, your LI, and a third crewmate walk out.

EDI ONLY walks out during Synthesis. None of the others.

Also if you do a fail run (assets too low), you see the door opening but it cuts away before you see anyone walk out.
    Actually, EDI can show up in the Control ending if she was in your squad. I did all 3 endings earlier today and the only one where she didn't show was Destroy.

Well that's just bizarre.
    So I guess the way for me to keep Garrus from showing up on that ship at the end is for me to NOT bring him down to the planet with me? Friggin' weird. You'd think that the crewmates least likely to make it off planet would be the people you brought with you for that last desperate run.

I'm going to have to try this out.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Sneaks wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but was anyone else grinning like an idiot during their last tour of the Normandy when they:
    …Walked in on Tali and Garrus hooking up? 'Cause I was. Those two crazy kids deserve each other.
    This is an absolutely true story:

Since characters move from place to place on the Normandy in this game, I made a habit of checking my map when I was doing my rounds talking to everyone. So I checked it and noticed that Tali and Garrus were both listed as being up in the gunnery array or whatever it's called. And I thought to myself "wouldn't it be funny if they were making out up there."

I'm glad that happened, seriously. I felt like crap shooting Tali down when she told me she was interested in ME2. And then I read in the Shadow Broker files that she'd bought a stimulation network or whatever they call it for her suit. I hope she and Garrus were hooking up for a while, those crazy kids.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Had a Wave 10 Silver run that was one of the most intense waves I've ever had. The rest of the squad is dead due to tons of Phantoms. I just got done taking care of the very last objective and am now stuck behind a counter with two turrets set up around me. I burned two missiles to take care of them and then very, VERY slowly, and carefully made my way around the edge of the Noveria map to the north east corner where I used the AI pathing to take on each Phantom one at a time. Then I engaged all of the remaining forces one by one. I ended that match with no consumables left whatsoever but god damnit, I pulled us through. I think the only thing that saved my ass was that it was on a map I already knew thanks to the demo and we were against Cerberus which I can engage on autopilot also thanks to the demo. We beat that silver run though, but it was so god damn tense that we all just called it a night.

The MP in this game is just way too damn good.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but was anyone else grinning like an idiot during their last tour of the Normandy when they:
    …Walked in on Tali and Garrus hooking up? 'Cause I was. Those two crazy kids deserve each other.

Since characters move from place to place on the Normandy in this game, I made a habit of checking my map when I was doing my rounds talking to everyone. So I checked it and noticed that Tali and Garrus were both listed as being up in the gunnery array or whatever it's called. And I thought to myself "wouldn't it be funny if they were making out up there."

I'm glad that happened, seriously. I felt like crap shooting Tali down when she told me she was interested in ME2. And then I read in the Shadow Broker files that she'd bought a stimulation network or whatever they call it for her suit. I hope she and Garrus were hooking up for a while, those crazy kids.

Oh wait.

Is that what that stim thing was supposed to be?

I thought it was drugs :P.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Okay...I have a question...involving Joker's family.
    So...Joker said his family was on Tiptree right. And his sister was 15.

That Asari you talked to was stationed on Tiptree. The girl she met was 15.

Coincidence?
    Not at all. D:

What?! Nooo! :(
    Someone linked this to me on youtube, it's a fanmade ending. I thinks it's pretty decent. Check it out if you are curious.

http://youtu.be/PoVnvJ4OxRg

Regarding Kaiden:
    I kicked him off my team. We spent a lot of time on the ship and in the hospital reconciling our friendship and agree to forgive each other.

Then what does he do? Points a gun at me and doubts my trust again!

He's really lucky I didn't shoot him. When Garrus asked me later if I would have shot Kaiden to save the galaxy, I told him yes.

I'm sorry Kaiden, I liked you, but I can't have a person who doubts me at every turn watching my back.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular

Agreed, and I wish more people understood this. It's weird but I once wrote a long post on why Mission Impossible 4 was better than 2 or 3 that centered around this idea.

But it did have an emotional impact to see the normally-badass Shepard barely able to stand, and vulnerable at this most crucial moment.
    When she first got up and was barely able to walk was when I knew she wasn't going to make it out. You didn't have your armor on, you didn't have any guns other than this pistol next to you. You could barely walk and it wasn't getting any better. Stumbling into the light was just so desperate and painful. It was really moving.

I know I'm posting a lot, but I haven't had a chance to talk about the game at all since I wanted to stay spoiler-free while playing. There's just so much of this game that I liked. So many little details along with really fantastically scripted big scenes. The more I talk about it the more I'm able to forget the fact that the ending was god-awful and just enjoy the rest of the game for what it was. One of the best games with some of the most compelling character-arcs I've ever played.

• Options

Oh wait.

Well I don't actually know but I think it's supposed to be a space vibrator. Also in ME2, some Volus in the Ilium market was talking about buying one for his Quarian girlfriend, and there was a Turian that got friendzoned by a Quarian there too and it came up in the conversation.

I'm starting to realize it's a little creepy how much I know about this.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    You know, thinking about it, this game had a lot of
    suicide. Or, at least potentially did. Tali, Samara, The Illusive Man, who else? (Obviously a ton more if you count, like, Mordin-style self-sacrifice)
    That one Asari from the hospital sidequest who begs you to get her gun back for her.

Wrex can pull off a suicide-by-Shepard if you kill Mordin. Ditto Legion if you stop his upload.

I think Cortez can as well in the final mission if you don't manage to talk him out of his suicidal tendencies from losing his husband.
    Kelly will apparently kill herself if you don't forgive her for spying on you.

cckerberos.png
  • Options

Oh wait.

Well I don't actually know but I think it's supposed to be a space vibrator. Also in ME2, some Volus in the Ilium market was talking about buying one for his Quarian girlfriend, and there was a Turian that got friendzoned by a Quarian there too and it came up in the conversation.

I'm starting to realize it's a little creepy how much I know about this.

No, I got the impression that it's a vibrator too from the bar conversation on Illium between the Turian and Quarian. He really did get friendzoned there.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Asiina wrote: »

When she first got up and was barely able to walk was when I knew she wasn't going to make it out. You didn't have your armor on, you didn't have any guns other than this pistol next to you. You could barely walk and it wasn't getting any better. Stumbling into the light was just so desperate and painful. It was really moving.

I know I'm posting a lot, but I haven't had a chance to talk about the game at all since I wanted to stay spoiler-free while playing. There's just so much of this game that I liked. So many little details along with really fantastically scripted big scenes. The more I talk about it the more I'm able to forget the fact that the ending was god-awful and just enjoy the rest of the game for what it was. One of the best games with some of the most compelling character-arcs I've ever played.

Don't worry about it. That's the entire point of this thread.

Well...that and bad fanart.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I have to talk about one mechanic that just blows me away at how good it is (especially as compared to the two other games): Squadmates are not stupid anymore.

I mean they are able to find cover and stay there while you're being shot at. They no longer go to the wrong side of the cover and get killed, or stand up for long periods to be shot at. They seem to be able to use their skills intelligently, but they don't spam them so I'm able to use their skills, too. It's friggin' great.

Of course I haven't played Insanity yet. I only just started on my hardcore run. So maybe they'll crumble like tissue paper on Insanity the way the do in the other games. But right now - jeepers!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Again, if anyone wants to play some MP on PC I'll be on for a while longer. Origin name is fsmith1 .

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Don't worry about it. That's the entire point of this thread.

5604_3c8b.jpeg

• Options

You rang?

star-trek-and-mass-effect-fanart.jpg

• Options
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    Again, if anyone wants to play some MP on PC I'll be on for a while longer. Origin name is fsmith1 .

Shoot me an invite, names MildConfusion.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Hey @Orca I just checked Fuck Yeah, Mass Effect and

Anderson
    you labeled the Anderson video as "cut" dialog. Someone here has actually heard that dialog in game.

I believe, based on what he said, that to get it you have to
    Have no romances going on during that game.

• Options
    What's up with the servers? Been stable all day, now I'm constantly getting booted off EA.

Anyone else getting this?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    No shit? I'll correct that then. Thanks.

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm already over the multiplayer and i've only played two games... One as a soldier were i couldn't kill anything before someone else did (i got some 60+ point assists though!)

Another as an infiltrator were i rocked the shit out of stacks of guys by headshotting them but then i got disconnected! and it doesn't save your stats! so i lost like 15-20minutes of awesome point-filled game play to this buggy multiplayer!

Is it just me? or is multiplayer laggy/d/c filled to the brim?

Edit: Okay so bad experience and over exaggeration time over, multiplayer is fun when it doesn't d/c you.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    They do alright on insanity, too. I'm actually impressed with how often they survive, even though Liara has like half the total HP/shields as Shep or DLC squaddie.

Speaking of which, insanity actually seems easier than it was in ME2, at least on a 30 import soldier. Between Adrenaline Rush and Marksman, the Revenant is a slaughterhouse at any range, although I needed to take the +30% capacity ammo evolution. Hail of death.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    They do alright on insanity, too. I'm actually impressed with how often they survive, even though Liara has like half the total HP/shields as Shep or DLC squaddie.

Speaking of which, insanity actually seems easier than it was in ME2, at least on a 30 import soldier. Between Adrenaline Rush and Marksman, the Revenant is a slaughterhouse at any range, although I needed to take the +30% capacity ammo evolution. Hail of death.

I think the difference is that Insanity is more 'fair' and your squadmates have a much wider base of powers to supplement and support yours.

You know, until you run into Banshees. Then it gets way harder than ME2 insanity ever was. Especially when they come in packs.

• Options
    I guess to move away from ending talk then a couple of big and small things I absolutely loved:
    - The whole tuchanka thing from the moment you get separated from the trucks until you're off the planet. Although I hate the word, everything felt really epic. The darkness of the underground city was imposing while the outer parts were beautiful, contrasted with this giant reaper that you are somehow supposed to take on. Then when Kalros comes out it's just a totally badass scene to watch.

- I love that people move around the ship and that almost every time you go somewhere people are talking over the intercom. It really made the crew feel like a whole crew and not just a bunch of people standing around waiting for Shepard to have a meaningful conversation with them. It's such a minor thing, but made everyone seem so much more real.

- When you get back from Thessia and go talk to people, Shepard is just so...broken. She's really depressed about losing the VI. If you go talk to Joker and EDI they'll try to cheer you up with jokes and Shepard snaps at them, which if you play full paragon is so unusual for her. You can really tell it got to her. Almost as much as it broke Liara.

- I'm not really big on combat, I play the game for the story, but that big fight with the missile trucks was so great. Right at the end when the second missile truck is ready I was trying to fight 3 banshee's at once and losing, so I just starting pounding medi-gel and bolted past them for the truck. I barely made it, but it felt so good. Even playing on normal a lot of the fights on Earth felt difficult. You could understand why everyone who's not Commander Shepard and her team of awesome people were losing the fight here since you were just barely scraping by. I like that so many of the mission objectives are basically "survive until someone comes for you, then run." It's not about winning at this point, it's about surviving.

- I also like the ambient stories you got to hear over long periods of time on the citadel. The Salarian who got great armor cause his friend sold her car, the recruit who didn't want to fight cerberus cause her brother had joined just before the war, the teenager who was just waiting for her parents and the turian guard who was watching over her, the turian who was trying to convince his asari wife that he'd be fine. Every time you'd go you'd hear a little bit more. There is more to the people out there than fetch quests.

Whew, felt good to get all that out. All in all, it's a really, really great game.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The final fight is brutal on Insanity.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Okay, it's way too late and I should crash, but I'll say this much, having completed the game yesterday morning;

Like everyone else, I loved it, but...
    the finale just wasn't as satisfying as I'd hoped it would be. I wasn't surprised that Shepard dies in most of the endings, that seemed to be par for the course with the stakes this high, but I agree with others that I wanted some closure with the rest of my crew/the galaxy.

If anything, I found myself reminded of the endings of The Matrix: Revolutions and Battlestar Galactica. More the latter than the former, since the Matrix series went downhill pretty quickly after the first movie, whereas BSG was (mostly) damned awesome for pretty much everything but the second half of the final episode.

I also find it odd/even a bit offputting that from the descriptions given, there may be slight ending variations I might like more if I had a lower war rating. Or it might be my rep wasn't quite high enough, but my Paragon meter is (I believe) maxed out with a sliver of Renegade at the bottom, and I hit dozens upon dozens of those conversations that boosted my Reputation.

I think I might just youtube some bits that people are talking about that went differently and then let it simmer for a while before I pick it back up again.

Edit: loved the soundtrack (though I have yet to find anything I like as much as The Normandy Reborn/Suicide Mission/The End Run... maybe Leaving Earth), enjoyed the shit out of the combat, except for Banshees. Those remain fucking terrifying, though I did miss a few "fuck yous" for them.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Does anyone know how to get

minor spoilers
    Space Hamster out of the basement?

I tried to catch him but he was too fast.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    weird.. i cant seem to connect to any multiplayer games, it just gets stuck on "searching for online games" and when i try to make my own both private and public, it gets stuck on "creating online game"

the hell..

• Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular

The final fight is pretty brutal period.

I played on Hardcore and bumped it down to normal for a bit and still got my ass kicked. Eventually bumped it back up and toughed my way through, but easily more than half my resets were there alone.

Didn't help that the autosave before the final part glitched out and ate all my medigel.

• Options

minor spoilers

I caught him. Just keep trying.

• Options

minor spoilers

Wha-wha-WHAT?
    Space hamster is in the basement?!

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Guess I better watch out for that, then. Otherwise, I've used maybe four medigels the entire game so far, at the point of no return. Not that it's easy, but it feels like a pretty good difficulty.

minor spoilers

You just have to catch it. Try standing in the open and looking down so you can get the prompt easily, then spring on him when he moves. You're probably already doing that, in which case...good luck on the next try.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options

I played on Hardcore and bumped it down to normal for a bit and still got my ass kicked. Eventually bumped it back up and toughed my way through, but easily more than half my resets were there alone.

Didn't help that the autosave before the final part glitched out and ate all my medigel.

The final fight is awesome for more than just being an epic fight. It's actually a clever piece of using gameplay to tell story. We know Shepard is a badass, but we have little to compare him to the rest of the galaxy. Now in that battle, you really see how the every other soldier besides Shepard would get torn apart.

Clever use of gameplay to enhance the story imo.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot the absolute best improvement to the game ever

[SUPER EXTRA MEGA SPOILERS]

Automatic fish feeding!

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

minor spoilers

Wha-wha-WHAT?
    Space hamster is in the basement?!
    Yeah, I was wandering around and went "hmm, I wonder if there's anyone down here?" and I go down to where Jack used to be. I'm about to walk away when I hear *SQUEAK* and turn around just in time to see my space hamster running across the floor. I mashed spacebar and managed to grab him. After that he's back up in your cabin. Truly a tale of the great Shepard to tell through the ages.

• Options

That fight was absurdly hard until I realized
    you can lure the banshees into the path of the reaper's beam and get them killed in one shot.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Amusing graphical glitch/feature involving non-DLC "secret" character:
    The picture of Cameltoe EDI was posted earlier, and I decided to put her in that outfit. As it turns out, her costume is pretty much permanently wedged into her, uh, emergency induction port. I find it hard to believe that this was an oversight on Bioware QA team's part, seeing as how it's really obvious whenever the area lighting isn't coming solely from above.

• Options
    I'm not really surprised. While there are many good things about these games, character models are not really the best. Why does Bioware insist on having their characters move their hands around and interact with objects when they can't make realistic hands. Half the time they're all misshapen and the other half they're misshapen but you can't tell because they've clipped into something.

• Options
    I completely forgot about the hand thing!

I thought it was silly how some of the biggest badasses ever would do this nervous hand wringing in some of the dialogs. Shepard, Hackett, everyone at some point does that hand wringing thing.

Awesome people don't do that!

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.