As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Sneaks wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but was anyone else grinning like an idiot during their last tour of the Normandy when they:
    …Walked in on Tali and Garrus hooking up? 'Cause I was. Those two crazy kids deserve each other.

I could not stop laughing. I had to pause the game!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I completely forgot about the hand thing!

I thought it was silly how some of the biggest badasses ever would do this nervous hand wringing in some of the dialogs. Shepard, Hackett, everyone at some point does that hand wringing thing.

Awesome people don't do that!

I never noticed hand wringing.

Probably because I was too distracted by everyone's mutant claw hands.

Maybe they are wringing them to try to take some of the focus away from their mutation.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    My favorite part was:
    The whole Tuchanka sequence. It freatures Wrex and Mordin, two of my favorite characters, it solved a long-running issue in the universe (the genophage), it introduced a cool new character (Eve/Urdnot Bakara - was that her name?), it featured a thresher maw WTFpwning a Reaper, it had the redemption of Mordin, it had good combat where I got to use my sniper rifle... Tuchanka sequence had it all. And I felt like with Bakara and Wrex in charge the Krogan were in good hands. When Garrus mentioned afterwards that we should get Wrex a taster, I had to agree.

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    The final fight is brutal on Insanity.

The final fight is pretty brutal period.

I played on Hardcore and bumped it down to normal for a bit and still got my ass kicked. Eventually bumped it back up and toughed my way through, but easily more than half my resets were there alone.

Didn't help that the autosave before the final part glitched out and ate all my medigel.

That fight was absurdly hard until I realized
    you can lure the banshees into the path of the reaper's beam and get them killed in one shot.
    Yeah, I learned that pretty quick. The problem was surviving long enough to get the beam to hit them.

It didn't help that half the time they managed to teleport just out of reach when the beam swung near them.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    The final fight is brutal on Insanity.

The final fight is pretty brutal period.

I played on Hardcore and bumped it down to normal for a bit and still got my ass kicked. Eventually bumped it back up and toughed my way through, but easily more than half my resets were there alone.

Didn't help that the autosave before the final part glitched out and ate all my medigel.

That fight was absurdly hard until I realized
    you can lure the banshees into the path of the reaper's beam and get them killed in one shot.
    Once I figured that out I didn't hardly fire at all.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Asiina wrote: »
    I'm not really surprised. While there are many good things about these games, character models are not really the best. Why does Bioware insist on having their characters move their hands around and interact with objects when they can't make realistic hands. Half the time they're all misshapen and the other half they're misshapen but you can't tell because they've clipped into something.

There's a photoshop joke in there, but I'll be nice.

Edit: I'm still can't believe that. smh

Decoy on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I completely forgot about the hand thing!

I thought it was silly how some of the biggest badasses ever would do this nervous hand wringing in some of the dialogs. Shepard, Hackett, everyone at some point does that hand wringing thing.

Awesome people don't do that!

I never noticed hand wringing.

Probably because I was too distracted by everyone's mutant claw hands.

Maybe they are wringing them to try to take some of the focus away from their mutation.

They aren't even claws in the same way from shot to shot. So many scenes where someone will be holding two fingers up to talk into their earpiece while the other two are curled but are too thin or short and look all freaky, then they'll go to point and all of them will be deformed in a completely different way. They're magic mutant claw hands.

Also they can't interact with anything in the world. They either float about 3 inches away from it, or they clip into it and disappear. This includes other parts of the character model.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    My favorite part was:
    The whole Tuchanka sequence. It freatures Wrex and Mordin, two of my favorite characters, it solved a long-running issue in the universe (the genophage), it introduced a cool new character (Eve/Urdnot Bakara - was that her name?), it featured a thresher maw WTFpwning a Reaper, it had the redemption of Mordin, it had good combat where I got to use my sniper rifle... Tuchanka sequence had it all. And I felt like with Bakara and Wrex in charge the Krogan were in good hands. When Garrus mentioned afterwards that we should get Wrex a taster, I had to agree.

Love the bit in the finale between those two
    Random Turrian: Sir! Wrex says he won't barter supplies with us.
    Garrus: That's just Wrex playing hard to get. Tell him I've got a case of beer to trade.

newSig.jpg
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    ugh

can't connect to EA servers

which apparently means it won't authorize the dlc

which means I can't play the game

for shame, EA, for shame

• Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So Mordin...
    Is such a goddamn bro. I mean really, I love that guy.
    He's just...so damn helpful when it comes to unconventional sex. I mean first he helps you out when you want to maybe knock space boots with Garrus or Tali and then he's nice enough to give advice to help joker and EDI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVY2sTjeECk

Mordin Solus, the Looove Doctor.

Inter_d on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    From this point on, when people say the ending of ME3 is terrible I'm going to automatically assume...
    They mean post TIM/Anderson

Because the rest of the 'ending' is far and away the best in the whole goddamn series. I like it more than the Suicide Mission for atmosphere and intensity.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    From this point on, when people say the ending of ME3 is terrible I'm going to automatically assume...

Because the rest of the 'ending' is far and away the best in the whole goddamn series. I like it more than the Suicide Mission for atmosphere and intensity.
    Pretty sure that 99% of people agree that the ending doesn't get bad until you go up the elevator of light. Everything before that is fucking gold.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    I think that is what most people mean. Some seem to not feel that the parts before it had the right "ending" feel, but I think the majority of people are indeed talking about afterwards.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

That is what people mean.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Pretty sure that 99% of people agree that the ending doesn't get bad until you go up the elevator of light. Everything before that is fucking gold.

I'm going to make a mod that removes the last five minutes of the game
    And auto-chooses the destroy the reapers option

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    After reading the artbook,
    I am really glad they didn't give us a final boss fight against Reaperized TIM.

Boss fights have always sort of sucked in the series, and usually rendered half the Tech/Biotic powers completely useless. The single, incredibly difficult wave of enemies was a far more satisfying final boss than Terminator Reaper or Hopper Saren and wasn't goofy as hell.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    My favorite part was:

Garrus: That's just Wrex playing hard to get. Tell him I've got a case of beer to trade.
    At some point on the ship I was Wrexing it up with my Brogan and... (paraphrased from my bad memory)

Wrex: Females are different. They want to talk about things, then discuss them, then talk about them some more.
    Shepard: She has some good ideas, Wrex. You should listen to them.
    Wrex: Well, sure. She just has so many of them. So sometimes I pretend to listen. And it turns out Krogan women have tempers too.

• Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Oh, just thought of something else I liked even though it leads to the terrible part!
    After Anderson dies and you can tell that Shepard is basically sitting there waiting to die herself, Hackett comes on going "Shepard? Shepard!?" and she immediately tries to get up and says "What do you need me to do?" That one line of dialog such a distilled form of her character to basically be moments from death and still not be able to give up the whole "I have to do everything to save the galaxy" mentality that she's had the whole series. It's something they really emphasize throughout the game, that most people would have given up, but I think it's in that moment that Shepard shows it best.

I really don't know how much of this they were actively trying to convey, but it just comes through so clearly as core to her character.

After reading the artbook,
    I am really glad they didn't give us a final boss fight against Reaperized TIM.

Boss fights have always sort of sucked in the series, and usually rendered half the Tech/Biotic powers completely useless. The single, incredibly difficult wave of enemies was a far more satisfying final boss than Terminator Reaper or Hopper Saren and wasn't goofy as hell.
    I think the finale fight protecting the rockets was suffecient myself.

Still want a Harbinger confrontation though.

On the other hand, the two bosses in Lair of the Shadow Broker were pretty well done. So they seem to have learned their lesson when it comes to boss fights.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.

The elevator ruined everything. I'll never look at an elevator the same way again.

Oh, just thought of something else I liked even though it leads to the terrible part!
    After Anderson dies and you can tell that Shepard is basically sitting there waiting to die herself, Hackett comes on going "Shepard? Shepard!?" and she immediately tries to get up and says "What do you need me to do?" That one line of dialog such a distilled form of her character to basically be moments from death and still not be able to give up the whole "I have to do everything to save the galaxy" mentality that she's had the whole series. It's something they really emphasize throughout the game, that most people would have given up, but I think it's in that moment that Shepard shows it best.

I really don't know how much of this they were actively trying to convey, but it just comes through so clearly as core to her character.
    The same is true if you shoot Mordin. Poor bastard crawling to the console, trying to complete his mission before he dies... :(

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just beat it. Now I can read all the end game discussion! But first I want to say that the ending wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've seen so many posts, heard so many opinions, that said the ending ruined the game for them. My expectations were colored and I was worried going into that final battle. I did have some issues with it, however, but not with the actual content of it.

Content spoilers
    I chose to destroy the reapers, and perhaps because of my high war assets and readiness, there was a scene showing Shepard still alive. The crew of the Normandy survived, too. I'm happy with that. The post-credits scene was horribly acted, though, but it did give me hope for seeing Shepard again someday.

What I didn't like - and I'll tag this, too, though there are no spoilers about what happens in the ending - relates to pacing.
    The game didn't give us room to breathe afterward. It needed an epilogue. We've been with this story, this universe and all the characters in it for three games and several years and you want a brief glimpse of what happens next, where those friends may be going. Instead, it was just an abrupt end to the battle.

We need another Mass Effect game, basically.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Dox the PI wrote: »

holy shit I just lost it. Can't breathe, laughing too much.

Thank you for this.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Amusing graphical glitch/feature involving non-DLC "secret" character:
    The picture of Cameltoe EDI was posted earlier, and I decided to put her in that outfit. As it turns out, her costume is pretty much permanently wedged into her, uh, emergency induction port. I find it hard to believe that this was an oversight on Bioware QA team's part, seeing as how it's really obvious whenever the area lighting isn't coming solely from above.

Well EVA was designed to pass for human I assume that means she had the er tools to be an effective spy. and the game is ratedM

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I liked the run to the beam and the Anderson/TIM scene, quite a bit, but the Earth stuff before that was not very good. Slow and a lot less going on than I had hoped.

ME1 and ME2 both had much better pacing to their end sequences, imo.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    The picture of Cameltoe EDI was posted earlier, and I decided to put her in that outfit. As it turns out, her costume is pretty much permanently wedged into her, uh, emergency induction port. I find it hard to believe that this was an oversight on Bioware QA team's part, seeing as how it's really obvious whenever the area lighting isn't coming solely from above.

Well EVA was designed to pass for human I assume that means she had the er tools to be an effective spy. and the game is ratedM
    Even though her hair was made of metal and came to really sharp points!

GJ Cerberus. Totally covert.

Even though her hair was made of metal and came to really sharp points!

GJ Cerberus. Totally covert.

They have this magical stuff in the future

it's called hair gel

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Actually her hair
    is made out of future mumbo-jumbo allowing it to become strands when she needs...

and if she gets it wet she can't do a thing with it.

Dragkonias on
    kedinik wrote: »

I liked the run to the beam and the Anderson/TIM scene, quite a bit, but the Earth stuff before that was pretty mediocre. Bland, slow, a lot less going on than I had hoped.

ME1 and ME2 both had much better pacing to their end sequences, imo.
    The part where you're trying to get to the macguffin that destroys the cannon - the first part after you land - was super intense for me. Dunno if it was just the state I played it in, but the constant shaking and vibrations (which I guess were supposed to be the gun going off and shooting ships out of the sky) were very effective and made me feel like I was in a war zone.

And defending the rockets from the Banshees was intense too. Because fuck Banshees, damn screaming, slowly advancing HP sponges that can instagib you. Fuck them right in their creepy, unsettling faces.

• mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular

The elevator ruined everything. I'll never look at an elevator the same way again.
    Elevators have always been the antagonists of this game, though they were briefly defeated in ME2.

steam_sig.png

Thank you for this.

Ug, this reminds me of something I suppressed so long ago. At least the movie was good.

steam_sig.png

Elevators have always been the antagonists of this game, though they were briefly defeated in ME2.

*thunderous applause*

Thank you for this.

Ug, this reminds me of something I suppressed so long ago. At least the movie was good.

That ending actually makes sense if you know the director was hopped up on anti-depressants and other prescription drugs.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    looks like ea servers are down, i think if i exit the game now the dlc wont auth?

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    My favorite part was:

At some point on the ship I was Wrexing it up with my Brogan and... (paraphrased from my bad memory)

Wrex: Females are different. They want to talk about things, then discuss them, then talk about them some more.
    Shepard: She has some good ideas, Wrex. You should listen to them.
    Wrex: Well, sure. She just has so many of them. So sometimes I pretend to listen. And it turns out Krogan women have tempers too.

Big old' smile and laugh from me on that one too.

newSig.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My end game discussion post got bottom-paged, but I've just been sitting here for awhile scratching my head after having beaten the game. I feel like I should be playing more ME3, that there's more to see...

...there isn't. Huh.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166

Thank you for this.

That ending actually makes sense if you know the director was hopped up on anti-depressants and other prescription drugs.

Yeah, I knew that. Consider I was a young teen when I saw that series. It was just bizzare.

steam_sig.png

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I actually think that if you cut the Joker-jungle-planet scene from the ending, it's not too bad. That just confused things. Now we just need some sort of epilogue.

This discussion has been closed.