As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Ha ha, thanks. The Evangelion one is pretty good too.

The thing I'm proudest of is comments along the lines of, "You know, I really didn't like the ending. But seeing this made me feel better about it."

:)

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    From this point on, when people say the ending of ME3 is terrible I'm going to automatically assume...
    They mean post TIM/Anderson

Because the rest of the 'ending' is far and away the best in the whole goddamn series. I like it more than the Suicide Mission for atmosphere and intensity.
    I liked the run to the beam and the Anderson/TIM scene, quite a bit, but the Earth stuff before that was pretty mediocre. Bland, slow, a lot less going on than I had hoped.

ME1 and ME2 both had much better pacing to their end sequences, imo.
    The part where you're trying to get to the macguffin that destroys the cannon - the first part after you land - was super intense for me. Dunno if it was just the state I played it in, but the constant shaking and vibrations (which I guess were supposed to be the gun going off and shooting ships out of the sky) were very effective and made me feel like I was in a war zone.

And defending the rockets from the Banshees was intense too. Because fuck Banshees, damn screaming, slowly advancing HP sponges that can instagib you. Fuck them right in their creepy, unsettling faces.

Just want to clarify (correctly this time)
    It was not a "McGuffin" It was a mutherfuckin CAIN.

And yeah. That fight.

4 Beasts. Ok, I can deal. Several thermal clips and 4 dead beasts later; "SCREEEECH!
    Followed by "SCREEEECH!"SCREEEECH!

D:

newSig.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I am almost afraid of finishing the game after reading the numerous negative general comments and impressions of it. I wonder if it's just a bad ending as its unfinished and clearly rushed because they ran out of time like DA2, or if it's just incomprehensible dumb ala Fallout 3. I guess I shall have to find out for myself!

I do know I have loved the game and gameplay wise it's far and away the best in the series. It's just all the other little areas it falls down in that gets to me.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I actually think that if you cut the Joker-jungle-planet scene from the ending, it's not too bad. That just confused things. Now we just need some sort of epilogue.

Yep. I was largely fine with the content of the ending, but...
    It really needed an epilogue to give us a chance to breathe. It needed to show everyone picking up the pieces, what our comrades and friends were doing now and where they may be going. It gave us none of that. Maybe it's a western philosophy, trying to be as cinematic as possible. After having beaten Mistwalker's The Last Story and being treated to an amazing hour+ epilogue, the lack of one feels very disappointing.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I actually think that if you cut the Joker-jungle-planet scene from the ending, it's not too bad. That just confused things. Now we just need some sort of epilogue.

It really needed an epilogue to give us a chance to breathe. It needed to show everyone picking up the pieces, what our comrades and friends were doing now and where they may be going. It gave us none of that. Maybe it's a western philosophy, trying to be as cinematic as possible. After having beaten Mistwalker's The Last Story and being treated to an amazing hour+ epilogue, the lack of one feels very disappointing.

I would pay money for a motion-comic epilogue. I know it'd be evil and supportive of a bad business model, but gorram do I need my fix.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I will say that ME3 really upped the bleakness of the Mass Effect universe.

I mean in ME1 and ME2 we saw that the Reapers did fucked up shit. It wasn't until ME3 that we saw just how fucked up it was.

edited March 2012
    I really love how grim me3 is. Plus it pretty much ensures every species is insanely fucked at the end of the war, making for a fascinating political landscape post me3 for future games.

Aegeri on
    I hope they're working on another Mass Effect game, because after that ending we need something more.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Every time I replay ME3 the entire ending will be mentally replaced with this and I will forever think that ME3's ending is the greatest thing ever.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Also, have you guys heard...

About the "special intel" of Liara's that you get if you keep a certain fish from ME2 alive through ME3 and ME3 NG+?

Seriously. This is a thing. It was in the strategy guide in the section where they explain the endings. I was looking through it at work today (I work at Walmart, and I was considering purchasing it and wanted to see if they had any details about the supposed NG+ secret ending). They don't say what the intel is, only that, after beating it, it's there.

Anyone keep their fish from ME2 alive and are able to check?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

About the "special intel" of Liara's that you get if you keep a certain fish from ME2 alive through ME3 and ME3 NG+?

Seriously. This is a thing. It was in the strategy guide in the section where they explain the endings. I was looking through it at work today (I work at Walmart, and I was considering purchasing it and wanted to see if they had any details about the supposed NG+ secret ending). They don't say what the intel is, only that, after beating it, it's there.

Uh, what? I haven't heard of any such thing. I did keep my fish alive...I guess I'll look?

Orca wrote: »

Uh, what? I haven't heard of any such thing. I did keep my fish alive...I guess I'll look?
    Apparently it's the
    Prejek Paddle Fish and you get a +5 or +10% weapon damage upgrade out of it. Nothing too spectacular.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Every time I replay ME3 the entire ending will be mentally replaced with this and I will forever think that ME3's ending is the greatest thing ever.

The funny thing is, I literally didn't change anything factual about the ending, just the tone. Spoilers obviously.
    The catalyst has the same goals, the relays are obviously still blowing up, and in TTGL, the hero does not get the girl. She dies as a result of the battle. The only difference is the main character screaming a huge FUCK YOU to the boss in charge, which you already do as Shepard during the renegade ending, the only one in which Shepard survives.

I know a lot of people hate the ending and I'm not bashing that, I just think it's funny.

manwiththemachinegun on

Let me see if I can't find a good source to actually link...

Here we go.
    http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-mass-effect-3-prejak-paddle-fish-easter-egg/

Again, they're moot as to what the intel actually is, but that's it.

Apparently it's the
    Prejek Paddle Fish and you get a +5 or +10% weapon damage upgrade out of it. Nothing too spectacular.
    Oh. Dang. I thought since it was in the same area as the "you need this score to get this ending", it may be important. Oh well.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Apparently it's the

Welp, I looked and I don't see anything.

Either I somehow didn't buy it or it's bullshit or I dunno.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I really love how grim me3 is. Plus it pretty much ensures every species is insanely fucked at the end of the war, making for a fascinating political landscape post me3 for future games.

Spoiler this, please @Aegeri.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

Here we go.
    http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-mass-effect-3-prejak-paddle-fish-easter-egg/

So that means
    Only male sheps can unlock this?

edited March 2012

The funny thing is, I literally didn't change anything factual about the ending, just the tone. Spoilers obviously.
    The catalyst has the same goals, the relays are obviously still blowing up, and in TTGL, the hero does not get the girl. She dies as a result of the battle. The only difference is the main character screaming a huge FUCK YOU to the boss in charge, which you already do as Shepard during the renegade ending, the only one in which Shepard survives.

I know a lot of people hate the ending and I'm not bashing that, I just think it's funny.
    The tone change completely offsets the lolwut nature of the ending. Instead of it being all wishy washy, it's instead astoundingly badass and the Relays getting blown up is now a result of just catastrophic tech failure due to raw rage rather than lol space magic. All of a sudden it just feels more grounded (granted, with an anime bent towards it, but whatever, I'll take what I can get). Besides, Gurren Lagann is hard to hate on yo.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular

Yeah
    I really wanted a super-long epilogue as a cherry on top of this three-game story, especially when you consider how much the ending changes the dynamics of the galaxy.

Instead of explaining what happened they just heap more mysteries on top

steam_sig.png
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

The tone change completely offsets the lolwut nature of the ending. Instead of it being all wishy washy, it's instead astoundingly badass and the Relays getting blown up is now a result of just catastrophic tech failure due to raw rage rather than lol space magic. All of a sudden it just feels more grounded (granted, with an anime bent towards it, but whatever, I'll take what I can get). Besides, Gurren Lagann is hard to hate on yo.

Yeah, ok. I just watched that. Waaay better than the one I posted earlier.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    Just finished the game and have a question about one of the final dialogues.
    For some reason during the final sequence with the Illusive Man the final paragon/renegade dialogues choices were greyed out for me. My paragon meter was full, my total war strength was 7070 and my military readiness was at 100 percent. Lastly, the only renegade prompt I used throughout the game was to kill Kai Leng.

Did this happen to anyone else? know if it is a bug or did I miss something?

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

Here we go.

So that means
    Only male sheps can unlock this?

No,
    she swings both ways.

edited March 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »

I am not talking about the ending (I have not finished the game), I am simply referring to the state the game is actually in right at the start of the reaper invasion when they hit earth ( actually everywhere really ). Unless of course the ending is so bad that it literally time travels everything so that nothing happened.

Of course, that could be why everyone seems to hate it.

Aegeri on
    kaz67 wrote: »
    For some reason during the final sequence with the Illusive Man the final paragon/renegade dialogues choices were greyed out for me. My paragon meter was full, my total war strength was 7070 and my military readiness was at 100 percent. Lastly, the only renegade prompt I used throughout the game was to kill Kai Leng.

I had a similar situation. I believe the problem is that if you don't try to persuade him every chance you get, you can't persuade him during that last part.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I am not talking about the ending (I have not finished the game), I am simply referring to the state the game is actually in right at the start of the reaper invasion when they hit earth. Unless of course the ending is so bad that it literally time travels everything so that nothing happened.

Generic game spoilers, not about the ending
    I would say "politically everyone is fucked" is enough of a spoiler for how things can go during the game that it should have a spoiler warning. I think if I hadn't played the game yet I would be upset to have wandered over that and read it. But it's up to you, I guess.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Agent PropagandiAgent Propagandi Registered User regular

I had a similar situation. I believe the problem is that if you don't try to persuade him every chance you get, you can't persuade him during that last part.
    I did the paragon choice each time speaking with TIM through ME3 and still got the greyed out options at the end. I have another full-paragon-everything-completed ME2 game to import but I just can't find a reason to bother playing ME3 again at the moment :(

Steam | Origin: AgentProp | Website
    edited March 2012

I am not talking about the ending (I have not finished the game), I am simply referring to the state the game is actually in right at the start of the reaper invasion when they hit earth. Unless of course the ending is so bad that it literally time travels everything so that nothing happened.

Generic game spoilers, not about the ending
    I would say "politically everyone is fucked" is enough of a spoiler for how things can go during the game that it should have a spoiler warning. I think if I hadn't played the game yet I would be upset to have wandered over that and read it. But it's up to you, I guess.

Not really, I have spoilered it anyway but it's so inherently obvious from playing the game literally 5 minutes (or even watching a single trailer) that I do not think this is even an issue.

Aegeri on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular

I did the paragon choice each time speaking with TIM through ME3 and still got the greyed out options at the end. I have another full-paragon-everything-completed ME2 game to import but I just can't find a reason to bother playing ME3 again at the moment :(
    so you're saying you don't want to see how things change if you make different decis.....oh wait.

steam_sig.png

It has to do with the total amount of paragon/renegade points that you've accumulated over the course of the game(or both games, if you import from ME2 - that may be the problem.)

I was able to go through all of those persuade options with TIM when I reached him and I has a mix of heavy Paragon and Light renegade(I didn't hesitate to renegade "Lieutenant Bastard" Kai Leng to death).

What TIM does if you fully persuade him with Paragon choices: (I don't know if it's the same result with Renegade)
    Shepard will eventually get TIM to admit to himself that he actually has been indoctrinated, but states that he isn't strong enough to fight it. He will then put the gun to his head and shoot himself.

so you're saying you don't want to see how things change if you make different decis.....oh wait.

I lol'd.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

It has to do with the total amount of paragon/renegade points that you've accumulated over the course of the game(or both games, if you import from ME2 - that may be the problem.)

I was able to go through all of those persuade options with TIM when I reached him and I has a mix of heavy Paragon and Light renegade(I didn't hesitate to renegade "Lieutenant Bastard" Kai Leng to death).

What TIM does if you fully persuade him with Paragon choices: (I don't know if it's the same result with Renegade)
    Shepard will eventually get TIM to admit to himself that he actually has been indoctrinated, but states that he isn't strong enough to fight it. He will then put the gun to his head and shoot himself.
    That's kinda what I figured the outcome would be. Wonder if I'll get it on my 100% Paragon (with the occassional Renegade interrupt) Sheppard will get him to do that?

newSig.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The noise that Reapers make in combat is really quite excellent. Just the right amount of intimidation.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    The noise that Reapers make in combat is really quite excellent. Just the right amount of intimidation.

I think their gun sound is fantastic. That phhhorreewwwwww type sound their main cannon makes. Always loved it since me, now I get to hear it all the time!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I think their gun sound is fantastic. That phhhorreewwwwww type sound their main cannon makes. Always loved it since me, now I get to hear it all the time!

Are we talking about the same sound?

There's a really long vibrating rumble that they make when they engage in combat. The noise they make when they find you while scanning.

The laser sound was a bit too whoooshy for me, if I'm remembering it right.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Yeah. This. I've honestly been thinking about the endings since I found out about them--so bad I can't even bring myself to PLAY SP--and this... Would do it for me.
    Okay, fine, I WANT a proper happy ending, but I'd be okay with a shot of a suitably impressive funeral service, you know? As near as I know from Arrival, the cinematics, and so forth, galactic civilisation is now GONE, and my crew landing on an uninhabited garden world that some of them can't even eat on, with no replacement batteries for the fembot, and an epilogue that suggests in the unknown future, we don't even have reliable space flight again? That's just... Bloody depressing.

Give me a couple ships flying around, a shot of a nice little... Okay BIG memorial monument thing, my romance option smiling at a picture of me if they lived, blah blah. Then I'd figure I went out like our favorite Salarian doctor, and that's no bad thing, even if the sap in me wants to ride off into the sunset. Show me I didn't just cause a galactic dark age.

This of course leaves aside my issues with space magic, "why am I believing the king Reaper when he tells me what I have to do?", and so on and so forth. Lots of those. But I can handwave that.

Thanks, you kinda cemented my opinion there; this has been bugging me.

edited March 2012
    Wait, what is this hallucination theory I'm seeing mentioned around the internet?
    I just started reading a little bit about it, but some of it makes sense. There were some really strange things about the ending I noticed but waved off at the time. Did BioWare just indoctrinate their fans?

Dashui on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Wait, what is this hallucination theory I'm seeing mentioned around the internet?
    I just started reading a little bit about it, but some of it makes sense. There were some really strange things about the ending I noticed but waved off at the time. Did BioWare just indoctrinate their fans?

It's nothing official. Just some people trying to make sense of the ending. I agree with it personally. It was my first thought after I beat the game.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Heh.

Renegade Shepard:
    Shoots people

Paragon Shepard:
    Gets people to shoot themselves.

Who is the bigger badass here?

edited March 2012

It's nothing official. Just some people trying to make sense of the ending. I agree with it personally. It was my first thought after I beat the game.

I feel stupid that I didn't think of it right away. And apparently writers/developers at BioWare are even saying that the people complaining don't have all the facts? This is all rather interesting, and if true I hope the DLC relates to it.

Dashui on
This discussion has been closed.