As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So now that I'm finished with the game, I'm looking through the art book.

So that cannibal
    Yeah, we know it's a batarian. It's right arm/gun thing though.... that's a HUMAN!
    Also, I wonder what the reason was to go from red/white Alliance colors to Blue/White.
    And if the red stripe means N7/Commando status.

newSig.jpg
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Wait, what is this hallucination theory I'm seeing mentioned around the internet?
    I just started reading a little bit about it, but some of it makes sense. There were some really strange things about the ending I noticed but waved off at the time. Did BioWare just indoctrinate their fans?

It's nothing official. Just some people trying to make sense of the ending. I agree with it personally. It was my first thought after I beat the game.

I feel stupid that I didn't think of it right away. And apparently writers at BioWare are even saying that the people complaining don't have all the facts? This is all rather interesting, and if true I hope the DLC relates to it.

There is a hint that implies that maybe there is more to the story that we haven't seen yet. Some twitter post that was linked from BSN. I tried to do a quick search for it, but I was spending too much time reading vitrol. I already vented my feelings.

Anyhow, the twit was basically that we haven't seen anything yet and there are awesome plans (my summerization).

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Wait, what is this hallucination theory I'm seeing mentioned around the internet?
    I just started reading a little bit about it, but some of it makes sense. There were some really strange things about the ending I noticed but waved off at the time. Did BioWare just indoctrinate their fans?

It's nothing official. Just some people trying to make sense of the ending. I agree with it personally. It was my first thought after I beat the game.

I feel stupid that I didn't think of it right away. And apparently writers at BioWare are even saying that the people complaining don't have all the facts? This is all rather interesting, and if true I hope the DLC relates to it.

There is a hint that implies that maybe there is more to the story that we haven't seen yet. Some twitter post that was linked from BSN. I tried to do a quick search for it, but I was spending too much time reading vitrol. I already vented my feelings.

Anyhow, the twit was basically that we haven't seen anything yet and there are awesome plans (my summerization).

I've seen some of the twitter conversations (there have been more than one from them). They're making me hopeful, and it really does sound like they have some cool plans regarding what everyone has been complaining about. This is somewhat exciting.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    God damn I have to finish the game because all this discussion I can't make sense of yet is driving me mad.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

I've seen some of the twitter conversations (there have been more than one from them). They're making me hopeful, and it really does sound like they have some cool plans regarding what everyone has been complaining about. This is somewhat exciting.

Oh, if that theory is true, I'll cheerfully take back EVERYTHING I've said about them in the last week. Admittedly in the "I still want to slug you, but I'll pick you up and buy you a beer after. Jerk." sense.

The problem is, while it makes a RIDICULOUS amount of sense, "sloppy" and "budget" could explain literally everything in the theory.

The full list of "reasons" is over on the BSN forums, and while some are, yes, way the heck out there, there's... Yeah. VERY internally consistent framework for the theory, and if it's not the case, holy hell is that a series of coincidences.

Yeah, I'm excited too. I'm trying to stop talking about the ending and focus on the 99.9% of the trilogy that is awesome. So much of ME3 is awesome, even the multiplayer, and I want to talk about that.

Not that I don't blame people for venting. I did it earlier, but I got it out of my system want to focus my posts on the aspects I enjoyed.

Convincing Joker to dance with EDI.

Also, damn this sound track is good. Really puts the emotion into the scene.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    You know, it's awfully nice that the reapers still let everyone use the Mass Effect relays during invasion time. The smart thing would be to de-activate the relays with a backdoor so that only the Reapers can access them, thereby preventing the galaxy from coming up with any real counter plan.

• TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thoughts on the ending and the game's high points:
    Chalk me up with the disappointed in the space elevator ending crowd.

I think the ending fundamentally missed why I played and loved Mass Effect. It wasn't a game about saving the galaxy, it was a game about the people who made the galaxy worth saving. And the ending doesn't provide any conclusion in that regard. Since I played multiplayer (which is great fun), it even cheapens my (Shepard's) sacrifice by hinting that Shep might've survived after I chose to destroy all synthetic life. What the hell is that? And then suddenly we've got the Normandy randomly flying through FTL (where the hell were they going? The fight was entirely around Earth!), crash landing on some random planet, the squadmate who I took with me to Earth walking out of it (Garrus), and then some trite bullshit with some random old man narrator telling stories about "The Shepard" to some stupid little kid? And to top it all off, the galaxy that I fought and bled to unite is suddenly and completely cut off from each other because the relays blow up? Just because?!

After the incredibly moving scenes throughout the game, the gripping stories of countless individuals that played out over the course of three whole games, the heart-wrenching decisions that Shepard makes throughout each game, this convoluted, catch-all garbage is supposed to be the conclusion?

Right up until the very end, I was planning on playing through the entire series multiple more times, just to see how making different decisions would affect the fate of the galaxy. But with this ending? There's no point. It doesn't matter in the end. And while yes, the journey may be different, I need to know that what I've done matters in the end. It doesn't, and that's why instead of continuing to follow, love, and support the series, I'm probably done with it. And that's very disappointing to me.

Now, the high points of the game:
    • Tuchanka. All of it. Awesome.
    • "I am the very model of a scientist Salarian..." One of the most moving moments of any game.
    • Choosing the geth over the quarians was the most upsetting moment to me in any game, movie, or book I've played, seen, or read. I had to reload and choose differently, but it was still tragic whichever option I chose (I couldn't save both).
    • The fall of Thessia was infuriating. At that point, all the bullshit readiness fetch quests went right out the window; it was time to put The Illusive Man down.

TheConstantWay on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular

I refuse to believe

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Ending spoilers and a question about what a certain someone said elsewhere:
    what did the whole "this is going to get political" thing that individual said regarding the ending mean? Was he implying that some internal folks at Bioware are acknowledging the fault(again, internally)? Is the backlash really making a difference?

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Convincing Joker to dance with EDI.
    Talking to EDI on the presidium about it was great. "There are a number of drugs I could inject to achieve the desired effect..."

• TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Oh, if that theory is true, I'll cheerfully take back EVERYTHING I've said about them in the last week. Admittedly in the "I still want to slug you, but I'll pick you up and buy you a beer after. Jerk." sense.

The problem is, while it makes a RIDICULOUS amount of sense, "sloppy" and "budget" could explain literally everything in the theory.

The full list of "reasons" is over on the BSN forums, and while some are, yes, way the heck out there, there's... Yeah. VERY internally consistent framework for the theory, and if it's not the case, holy hell is that a series of coincidences.
    Oh good, so we have to buy DLC to get an actual ending?

edited March 2012

People are speculating, don't know where from, that it could be free. Because seriously, making us pay for that would be a huge dick move. And giving us time to think about what happened and that theory before releasing possible free DLC would be amazing.

Dashui on
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    You know, it's awfully nice that the reapers still let everyone use the Mass Effect relays during invasion time. The smart thing would be to de-activate the relays with a backdoor so that only the Reapers can access them, thereby preventing the galaxy from coming up with any real counter plan.

In the last cycle that is precisely what they did, took over the Citadel and cut off the relays. Which is what they should have done this time too. I guess you can argue that they did it because the Protheans were one empire, and the current galaxy is so fractured that they didn't think there was any chance of a united front anyway.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Well, one of the ideas floated around over there is that given the original script/endings leak, they're holding the actual end back till the game's been released worldwide, at which point it gets released to anyone with uh... The Alliance News Code or w/e it was like in ME2 that gave us Zaeed and whatnot. So it'd be free to anyone with a "new" copy of the game, and anyone who bought used would have to shell out for an ending that's not traffic light, which would also be an anti-piracy widget.

Who knows. Honestly, at this point, I'd be good with the traffic lights if
    I knew I didn't also plunge the galaxy into another dark age. Rebuilding from the war, reinventing the relay, sure. "Reinventing spaceflight"? No. Just no.

• JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular

People are speculating, don't know where from, that it could be free. Because seriously, making us pay for that would be a huge dick move. And giving us time to think about what happened and that theory before releasing possible free DLC would be amazing.

Paying for ending DLC would be the ultimate dick move. Free DLC would still not be as good as if they had made a good ending in the first place, but it would be much much better than leaving us with this horrible ending.

• HerothHeroth Registered User regular

I don't know... that seems like abit of a cop out... We finish the game, form opinions on what we have to go on then a bioware writer drops 'You don't have all the facts, man!' well, whose fault is that?

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah, in this cycle the natives retained control of the citadel and destroyed the alpha relay, so all the rest remain active. Not really spoiler but hell:
    apparently they can't selectively enable/disable them as they enter systems, but probably that's just a plot thing.

also, having finally saved up enough credits for the widow and found the tempest, my infiltrator is finally back to being the unstoppable deathmachine I remember from ME2. The black widow is just completely unfair; at least you spent a lot of time reloading with the regular widow.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    JohnDoe wrote: »

Paying for ending DLC would be the ultimate dick move. Free DLC would still not be as good as if they had made a good ending in the first place, but it would be much much better than leaving us with this horrible ending.

Bethsoft did that, so I wouldn't put it past someone else to do it as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Thoughts on the ending and the game's high points:
    There's no point. It doesn't matter in the end.
    This is what I got out of it. With the Catalyst's options I said outloud (to my empty room) "Those aren't choices at all..."

Choice in an illusion. That's what I got out of all of this.

Also wouldn't be the first EA game to do it. Anyone else remember the first Army of Two?

newSig.jpg
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    have two prioity missions left to do on tuchanka and a few misc quests left in my journal and i just hit the 25 hour mark on hardcore, thats not even half way yet is it?

how people are finishing this in 25 hours and claiming to have 100% it as to be bullshit, unless they are skipping all dialouge and side quests.

Deaderinred on
    I probably clocked in around 25 hours on my first playthrough but I missed a LOT of stuff in the first half before the first point of no return
    the attack on the Citadel

newSig.jpg
    spamfilter wrote: »

In the last cycle that is precisely what they did, took over the Citadel and cut off the relays. Which is what they should have done this time too. I guess you can argue that they did it because the Protheans were one empire, and the current galaxy is so fractured that they didn't think there was any chance of a united front anyway.

Yeah, that's pretty much how the Reapers used to do it. I think Vigil on Ilos explains it. But the Citadel is basically the mass relay hub. Once the Reaper signal is given, the Reaper fleet emerges from dark space right there at the Citadel. After quickly destroying any resistance there, they cut off all the relays so only the Reapers can use them. Same goes with the comm relays, so no instant travel or communication between worlds. Then the Repears would access all the data stored in the Citadel to find the location of all the current settlements and go harvest each planet, one by one.

It's actually a testament to the Protheans that they could survive for so long considering that exact thing happened to them.

steam_sig.png

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »

Wasn't this covered in Mass Effect 1? The Protheans reprogrammed the Citadel. Normally the Reapers would take control of it and use it to turn off all the mass relays. They can't do that trick anymore.
    Though this makes Catalyst even weirder, if he can't just fix it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nocren wrote: »
    I probably clocked in around 25 hours on my first playthrough but I missed a LOT of stuff in the first half before the first point of no return
    Wait.. That's a thing!!

I must've missed tones cos i hit 23 hours on my playthrough and i'm actually out of things to do. What've i done wrong!

EDIT: Weird thought re: ending and indoctrination. I have this idea, not fully formed mind you but that the destruction of the citadel/relay network is used too completely isolate the different races and allow the reapers to whittle them down/cripple ability for a defense to be coordinated.

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    Wait.. That's a thing!!

I must've missed tones cos i hit 23 hours on my playthrough and i'm actually out of things to do. What've i done wrong!

Yeah, here's a couple of things off the top of my head that I missed:
    Doing Barla Von's (first Volus Shadow Broker contact you meet in the first game) quest.
    Find out what happened to that guy in the embassies' son.
    There were others but they were all greyed out after that event.

newSig.jpg
    Speaking of play time, I finished it at about 41 hours.

Are you playing on hardcore or anything? i'm either missing alot of content, or i just blasted through it a bit quick

IZF2byN.jpg

• HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    yeah, in this cycle the natives retained control of the citadel and destroyed the alpha relay, so all the rest remain active. Not really spoiler but hell:
    apparently they can't selectively enable/disable them as they enter systems, but probably that's just a plot thing.

also, having finally saved up enough credits for the widow and found the tempest, my infiltrator is finally back to being the unstoppable deathmachine I remember from ME2. The black widow is just completely unfair; at least you spent a lot of time reloading with the regular widow.

You can buy individual weapons? how?

1Gn4PNI.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Bit of an odd quibble with the game (very light spoilers).

I really wish the star that showed up in the Background of TIM's lair matched the colour of your collector decision (Blue for destroy, red for keeping) Of course, most likely TIM moved the base to a different star to avoid certain ex-cerberus personell from leaking it's location, but it looks so similar to the original pre-collector base star

Also, a small moment of tearshedding (minor spoilers)
    After rescuing troops from the Elcor homeword at the request of the Elcor Ambassador, a small convo plays out

Shepard: So, did you get many of your civilians out?

Elcor Ambassador:Not...

Enough.

Notice that he doesn't use his emotion conveyer thing, but he still sounds absolutly devestated, that's quite telling for a race that conveys emotion in minute quantities.

And lastly (near end game spoilers)
    Goodie two shoes Paragon Shep took the only renegade interrupt thus far in the game and impaled Kai Leng. So. Goddamn. Satisfying.

edited March 2012

Are you playing on hardcore or anything? i'm either missing alot of content, or i just blasted through it a bit quick

I played on hardcore, but I didn't die often. I just did every bit of content - quests, conversation with the crew (on ship and off; I checked often), exploration, etc. My effective military strength was over 7,200 by the end of the game.

Dashui on
    Heroth wrote: »

You can buy individual weapons? how?

You can buy them if you miss them in a mission. You can also buy the Black Widow, Paladin (upgraded Carnifax) and another gun from the Spectre shop at any time (provided you have the credits).

newSig.jpg
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Enough.

That's an amazing little scene.

IZF2byN.jpg

edited March 2012
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Enough.

That's an amazing little scene.

Yeah... I actually like all the little side stuff going on.
    Except that bitch on the Citadel who was thinking about leaving her husband while he's out fighting.
    Having actually served myself that kind of shit REALLY pisses me off and I wish my Shepard could talk to her.

Also, you could hear the sadness and rage in the Elcor's voice. Which is really saying something.

EDIT: Also, as much as it pained me to deliver the news afterwards, but I'm glad the poet Krogan and his Asari wife were happy and damn did he do good, getting into Aralacht company.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    so that was a fake out or what (missing krogan company)
    giving me a choice like that, "either save the rachni or save grunt and team!" and im like grunt noooooooooo!! took me awhile to think, then i accidently clicked rachni and he lived anyway? (even though that was a badass scene) sure i lost the sqaud as a war asset but i cant help but think the choice would of meant something more if grunt had died.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    giving me a choice like that, "either save the rachni or save grunt and team!" and im like grunt noooooooooo!! took me awhile to think, then i accidently clicked rachni and he lived anyway? (even though that was a badass scene) sure i lost the sqaud as a war asset but i cant help but think the choice would of meant something more if grunt had died.
    It was pretty obviously an intentional fake-out.

Bioware is all "lol silly player grunt can't die"

We should've known better

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I assume if he's not loyal, it ends differently

but yeah, it was kind of a surprise

NREqxl5.jpg

I assume if he's not loyal, it ends differently

but yeah, it was kind of a surprise
    can he even survive me2 if hes not loyal?

edited March 2012
    and yeah, if you miss weapons (and I assume upgrades and armor and whatever else) when it shows up in-mission, they'll appear on one vendor or another for a piddly amount of credits. I actually bought the tempest because I guess I missed it wherever it was; it was only 4000.

The widow on the other hand is 250k from spectre requisitions. worth every penny.

It's funny when you headshot an assault trooper and their whole body just explodes. Made me laugh the first couple times I saw it (I assume this is from doing a large amount of overkill damage.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.