As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Anyone else think, when on Tuchanka that when Wrex says sometihng like "It's just some crazy idea" that we were going to be riding a thresher maw?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Also, this is definitely the most emotional I think a game can ever get.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i thought you could take helmets off other armours now? i looked in the options and it doesnt look like it unless its for convos?

i remember seeing shots/clips of helmetless armour too in normal gameplay..

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Anyone else think, when on Tuchanka that when Wrex says sometihng like "It's just some crazy idea" that we were going to be riding a thresher maw?
    Commander "Muai'dib" Sheperd

Also, I was looking up the voices on IMDB trying to find out who did the Dalatrass' voice.

Now I want Chakwas to grab a rifle and join me in battle.
    ENEMY SPOTTED!

And new comic is up. I think it's something we can all relate to.

newSig.jpg
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Post-Thessia:
    Changed out of the hoodie into some Alliance Blues. I done fucked up, time to take this shit seriously.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Why would anyone do that?

That was horrible! Renegades are bad people!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I completed this last night in just over 20 hrs. I know I missed a bunch of side quests, the war readiness bar was prolly at 70% full. But when I got the option to (Near end game spoiler)
    Go after the Illusive Man

I couldn't stop myself!

Overall, amazing fucking game. So much fan service and awesome speeches a la the President's speech in ID4, great moments and I LOVED the combat. The ending:
    The ending was some epic and tragic shit. I chose to destroy all AI life (including myself) and let Humanity live on.

I think I'm going to let this sit for a while, gel in my head, then I'm going to restart as a Renegade and see what's what. But man, over all, this lived up to my very high expectations. A++++

EDIT:

Oh man, today's PA comic reminded me of a MAJOR Goosebump moment!
    With the Quarians vs. Geth, the Quarians were TRYING to get themselves killed. I got sick of pulling them out of the fire so they could jump right back in. I sided with the Geth, but didn't realize it would mean the total annilihation of the Quarians. That whole scene of the fleet going down and Tali watching the whole thing, taking off her mask and commiting suicide was fucking amazing. I got goosebumps just writing this.

Over all, this game probably had the most heart felt and amazing cut scenes I've ever seen in a game.

DrunkMc on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    so guys ... Kai Leng:
    cut-scene wizard
    or
    cut-scene-est wizard

and those troll mails he sends you..

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    so guys ... Kai Leng:
    cut-scene wizard
    or
    cut-scene-est wizard

Haha
    Alright, you killed Thane, whatevs

Doomed Thessia to destruction and ran off with my prothean VI I'll deal

But then you fuckin troll me about it?

Motherfucker you are going down.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    so guys ... Kai Leng:
    cut-scene wizard
    or
    cut-scene-est wizard

You know, just for added impact, if you had romanced the person killed by him on the citadel, I would have loved it if he had sent you a box with his sword, via a cerberus person or whatever, with the blood of your loved one still on it. Sure, it's cheesy and manipulative on both his and Bioware's part, but damn, that would be kick in the gut for Shepard.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    so guys ... Kai Leng:
    cut-scene wizard
    or
    cut-scene-est wizard

You know, just for added impact, if you had romanced the person killed by him on the citadel, I would have loved it if he had sent you a box with his sword, via a cerberus person or whatever, with the blood of your loved one still on it. Sure, it's cheesy and manipulative on both his and Bioware's part, but damn, that would be kick in the gut for Shepard.
    But then you wouldn't get to renegade punch through his sword. God damn that was a cathartic moment.

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Regarding endings:

I think the biggest let down is not knowing the long term results of our choices. Other than that I can deal.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I asked this yesterday already but didn't get a definite answer, so..does anyone know if doing the Priority: Perseus Veil mission lock me out of any sidequests / missions?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • milathmilath Registered User regular
    Man.... So... sad things that happen maybe 1/3rd to 1/2 of the way thru:

(word of warning: not sure how differently this plays out for differing choices, so if you're not a paragon FemShep who managed to keep Thane in ME2, it may be spoilery)
    Fucking Thane man. I knew he was on the way out. Knew it. It was already kind of tugging at the heart-strings a bit when I caught him in the hospital early on. I figured that was the end of his story. Then to have him save the day with the Salarian ambassador, I thought somehow he would pull thru.

When I get to the hospital following the mission (after my FemShep fucking shot Udina renegade style in retribution for trying to turn the galaxy over to Cerberus, god was that satisfying), I was expecting to have some kind of mission to save him at least to finish out the story with me. Instead I got the 'say your goodbyes' speech and go in to find his ME2 redeemed son.

So Thane starts praying/saying his last words and I offer to help the son finish the prayer almost missing it said 'she' during the prayer. When the son tells me, after Thane dies, that the prayer was for not for himself but for me, I actually got a little choked up.

Fuck you Bioware for making my cold black heart feel things. Damn it.

steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    God, what a great game.

Did not like the ending! But I really liked everything else, you know? It was great.

The return of
    Thane for a female Shepard who didn't romance him, how he schooled the ass off of Kai-Leng and went down like a champ. That line from Shepard,
    "Why does the final verse say 'her'?"
    so perfectly setting up the rest of that scene.

That had me in tears. THe game was full of moments like that, tying up so many concepts I was really invested in.

dN0T6ur.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Disruptor ammo with allies that use particle beams is disgusting if you upgrade the stun. I almost feel sorry for these enemies.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Okay, guys, Banshees. What's the best way to take them out? With a Sentinel, I can strip their barrier fairly easily, but after that they won't go down. Kinda annoying when you have one of them plus a couple Brutes, plus a couple Ravagers, plus Marauders and whatnot.

Nightslyr wrote: »
    Okay, guys, Banshees. What's the best way to take them out? With a Sentinel, I can strip their barrier fairly easily, but after that they won't go down. Kinda annoying when you have one of them plus a couple Brutes, plus a couple Ravagers, plus Marauders and whatnot.

Warp. Warp Warp Warp, specc'd toward weakning armor instead of damage. After that take your strongest weapon, preferably with Warp Ammo applied, and shoot them in the face. High enough damage applied in single shots will knock them out of their biotic auras, so they have to walk at you. At that point you only need to worry about their biotic bombs, which are easy enough to dodge.

They need to be a secondary priority, though. Knock off their biotic auras, get to the other side of the map, and kill the Brutes and Marauders first. Concentrate on the Banshee only if you have enough cover to protect you from Marauders and Cannibals, and if the Brutes are already dead.

dN0T6ur.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Brutes are actually pretty easy to take down, but you have to shoot them in the head - it's the only part that does any appreciable damage.

My suggestion for Banshees? Run.

electricitylikesme on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Wow, why the fuck would anyone ever do that?

Wyborn wrote: »
    God, what a great game.

Did not like the ending! But I really liked everything else, you know? It was great.

The return of
    Thane for a female Shepard who didn't romance him, how he schooled the ass off of Kai-Leng and went down like a champ. That line from Shepard,

That had me in tears. THe game was full of moments like that, tying up so many concepts I was really invested in.

I literally said the same exact thing in the post above yours. Damn good stuff.

steam_sig.png

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thoughts on the ending and the game's high points:
    Chalk me up with the disappointed in the space elevator ending crowd.

I think the ending fundamentally missed why I played and loved Mass Effect. It wasn't a game about saving the galaxy, it was a game about the people who made the galaxy worth saving. And the ending doesn't provide any conclusion in that regard. Since I played multiplayer (which is great fun), it even cheapens my (Shepard's) sacrifice by hinting that Shep might've survived after I chose to destroy all synthetic life. What the hell is that? And then suddenly we've got the Normandy randomly flying through FTL (where the hell were they going? The fight was entirely around Earth!), crash landing on some random planet, the squadmate who I took with me to Earth walking out of it (Garrus), and then some trite bullshit with some random old man narrator telling stories about "The Shepard" to some stupid little kid? And to top it all off, the galaxy that I fought and bled to unite is suddenly and completely cut off from each other because the relays blow up? Just because?!

After the incredibly moving scenes throughout the game, the gripping stories of countless individuals that played out over the course of three whole games, the heart-wrenching decisions that Shepard makes throughout each game, this convoluted, catch-all garbage is supposed to be the conclusion?

Right up until the very end, I was planning on playing through the entire series multiple more times, just to see how making different decisions would affect the fate of the galaxy. But with this ending? There's no point. It doesn't matter in the end. And while yes, the journey may be different, I need to know that what I've done matters in the end. It doesn't, and that's why instead of continuing to follow, love, and support the series, I'm probably done with it. And that's very disappointing to me.

Now, the high points of the game:
    • Tuchanka. All of it. Awesome.
    • "I am the very model of a scientist Salarian..." One of the most moving moments of any game.
    • Choosing the geth over the quarians was the most upsetting moment to me in any game, movie, or book I've played, seen, or read. I had to reload and choose differently, but it was still tragic whichever option I chose (I couldn't save both).
    • The fall of Thessia was infuriating. At that point, all the bullshit readiness fetch quests went right out the window; it was time to put The Illusive Man down.
    Agreed on the ending. The frustrating thing is just how easy it would have been to give it a great ending. The crucible should have just worked and killed the reapers after TIM shoots himself (thats what he did in my game anyway). As soon as the elevator started lifting Shepard everything just became ridiculous, which is why the hallucination theory makes so much sense. Everything after that point is like the dreams of some guy delirious from blood loss. It would have been fantastic if he woke up from the retarded high-school philosophy talk with the kid in some med bay with Hackett saying the Reapers were destroyed, Miranda sitting at your side (my romance choice), followed by a good epilogue and boning your choice romance.

And I got the Geth and Quarians to join up. I guess my playthroughs of all 3 games were just super good or something.

Heisenberg on
    milath wrote: »
    God, what a great game.

The return of

I literally said the same exact thing in the post above yours. Damn good stuff.
    "That was for Thane, you son of a bitch!"

YEEEEEEEEAH

dN0T6ur.png
    Banshees are the most difficult single enemy in any of the games so far. Just fucking horrendous to fight.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Reached the point of no return in my ME2 playthrough. So now I'm tying up all the loose ends to get everyone loyal and get all my shit upgraded. (Damn planet scanning)

After running Jack's loyalty mission, I think I'm going to look up a FAQ and find out what I have to do to kill her off. I can't stand Jack, and I don't want her coming back in my ME3 game.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    God damn there are a lot of little touches scattered throughout. Like: (Mild but major spoiler warning)
    what happens to Joker's sister. Damn.

Beltaine wrote: »
    Reached the point of no return in my ME2 playthrough. So now I'm tying up all the loose ends to get everyone loyal and get all my shit upgraded. (Damn planet scanning)

After running Jack's loyalty mission, I think I'm going to look up a FAQ and find out what I have to do to kill her off. I can't stand Jack, and I don't want her coming back in my ME3 game.

I can tell you how to kill her right now if you want. There's a lot of ways. A lot.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Beat the game over the weekend:

ENDING SPOILERS
    I was paralyzed with indecision for a good 15 minutes! Ultimately I decided that the best choice was to destroy The Crucible, and the Reapers along with it. I guess I forgot the part about where Space Ghost said it would destroy the Mass Relays. And then it hit me that I killed EDI and the entire Geth species. I thought I was making the right choice, but I guess dreaming about what I had done, and waking up with anxiety made me start to think that I screwed up...

Didn't much care for the little scene that implied that Shepard was still alive though. There doesn't need to be a Mass Effect 4.

Started a new game with my Renegade FemShep as a Vangod. Did they get nerfed? I know that Shockwave did... that thing barely travels two feet before stopping. I kept dying way early in the game... Maybe because I just needed to adjust from playing as an Infiltrator for my first playthrough, I dunno, but I gave up and re-imported as an Engineer. Those little turrets are badass.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Warp. Warp Warp Warp, specc'd toward weakning armor instead of damage. After that take your strongest weapon, preferably with Warp Ammo applied, and shoot them in the face. High enough damage applied in single shots will knock them out of their biotic auras, so they have to walk at you. At that point you only need to worry about their biotic bombs, which are easy enough to dodge.

They need to be a secondary priority, though. Knock off their biotic auras, get to the other side of the map, and kill the Brutes and Marauders first. Concentrate on the Banshee only if you have enough cover to protect you from Marauders and Cannibals, and if the Brutes are already dead.

Overload is also a valid option if you have it. 6th tier of Overload grants a +100% damage bonus against barriers and shields. Even on multiplayer where characters don't do nearly as much damage as the shepgod, it can strip a banshee's barrier three or four hits.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Just installed this. Got the basic edition and have done the tweaks so its no longer Russian text in menus and subtitles. That said, graphic options are ridiculously bare.

Donnicton wrote: »

Overload is also a valid option if you have it. 6th tier of Overload grants a +100% damage bonus against barriers and shields. Even on multiplayer where characters don't do nearly as much damage as the shepgod, it can strip a banshee's barrier three or four hits.

That's very true, Overload is good for that - for stripping Barriers it's probably better than Warp if you spec it that way. But for getting through their armor for a Sentinel, you'll need to weaken it and go at them with a good pistol or summat.

dN0T6ur.png
    Beltaine wrote: »

I don't suppose I could talk you out of that? Jack certainly can rub people the wrong way, but... 3 does a pretty good job of giving her character a bit of an arc. But if that doesn't convince you, working off my recent playthru mistakes I believe you can kill her off if you
    pick her for the duct infiltration mission at the start of the collector base.

steam_sig.png

edited March 2012
    Looking back, ME2 was basically a perfect game and ME3 is a game of genre-defining moments/gameplay scenes with one of the worst endings since MGS2 and Dragon Age 2.

Heisenberg on
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Looking back, ME2 was basically a perfect game and ME3 is a game of genre-defining moments/gameplay scenes with one of the worst endings since MGS2 and Dragon Age 2.

Taken on the whole I think ME3 is probably the best game in the series, and it makes the consequences of your choices evident in a way that makes ME1 and ME2 looks like jokes, but that ending is going to leave a sour taste in so many people's mouths, it is not even funny.

dN0T6ur.png
    edited March 2012

Taken on the whole I think ME3 is probably the best game in the series, and it makes the consequences of your choices evident in a way that makes ME1 and ME2 looks like jokes, but that ending is going to leave a sour taste in so many people's mouths, it is not even funny.

If it cuts to black right before
    the space elevator
    , yeah it's the best game in the series probably.
    Just a cut to black with some text saying the reapers were destroyed, shepard lived, and is now fucking Miranda on some cottage in Scotland would have been a thousand times better than what we got.

Heisenberg on
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    ENDING SPOILERS. I wish to discuss the ending. I do, I do.

Only read if you've beaten the game. Duh.
    That was just lazy writing. The game itself, at its very core, was so good. It was fun. Probably the best one MECHANICALLY in the whole series. The story leading UP to the end was great. But the ending was, to me, such a god damn let down. Oh, big surprise, Shepard either has to sacrifice herself or be a galactic prick. Thanks.

the space elevator

Hey now! Hey. Hey.

Ending talk:
    Shooting the Illusive Man and the final conversation with Anderson were awesome. It's pretty much only when that little kid shows up and they start expositioning at you that things go to Hell.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    What's wrong with the ending?
    There's at least three of them, yes? I don't really like what happened based on what I chose to do, but it wasn't a bad ending.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited March 2012

the space elevator

Hey now! Hey. Hey.

Ending talk:
    Shooting the Illusive Man and the final conversation with Anderson were awesome. It's pretty much only when that little kid shows up and they start expositioning at you that things go to Hell.
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Right after that and right before the platform raises you up to the kid. So I guess not the space elevator, but the weird platform. Whatever the best name is for that thing.

TIM killed himself in my game though. I'm pretty pleased with my trilogy playthrough performance since I also got Saren to kill himself.

Heisenberg on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the ending?
    There's at least three of them, yes? I don't really like what happened based on what I chose to do, but it wasn't a bad ending.
    You don't mind that they technobabbled their way out of a meaningful moment in galactic history and then didn't give you any follow up?

It grates on me a bit, and I was ok with the Final Fantasy VII ending. That's the last time I recall this much...rage? I'm not sure the word for it.

Iceman.USAF on
This discussion has been closed.