EDIT: Please see my bottom post for updates, I have new questions
My brother is studying abroad in Kyoto in the spring, and my friend is in Tokyo (well, Yokohama).
I wanna go visit them.
Well, a few things:
- While both my friend and my brother are semi-fluent in the language, I don't speak Japanese. I'll try and learn some phrases and whatnot to get by, I have a few months. I have no travel buddies other than the people I'm visiting at the moment... but I might be able to get people to come with me.
- I've read this: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/31731/trip-to-japan-anyone-did-it-before/p1
- I actually already bought plane tickets, flying into KIX and out of NRT in early/mid April for total of 11 nights in Japan.
- So, thing is, my friend in Tokyo has break for 2 weeks, ending March 25th... he said if I go then then he'd be able to do touristy things with me because he wouldn't have class. I would've booked a flight for then, but I had a work project... which I just found out today got cancelled by the client. So for a change fee of not too too much, I could go in March instead! (Very annoying, I just bought my tickets 2 days ago, but what can ya do?)
- Is the weather in March significantly worse than the weather in April? Like, ignoring the cost of the change fee, is there anything negative about me moving my flights back to March from April so I can have more friend time (with someone who actually knows Japanese and knows Japan)?
- Is 11 nights a good number? It seemed like a good balance between too much and not enough, but if I'm changing my flights I could alter that.
- Should I do like, 1-2 nights in Osaka, a bunch in Kyoto, and a bunch in Tokyo, or would you suggest anything else?
- Umm, anything else important? Right now I want to figure out this flight/am I going in March/April question, and then I'll come back and resurrect this thread with more questions I will almost certainly have.