As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ololol ending
    Seriously, whats with the human reaper anyways? Why are all the other reapers squid.

Why don't the reapers just fly in and kill all synthetic life themselves every 10,000.

wakkawa on
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    So is there something particular I have to do to upgrade a weapon to 10? Once I purchase the upgrades up to level V, the gun disappears as an upgrade option.
    Once you start NG+ you will be able to upgrade any gun to VII (to my knowledge), then once you find it again in the game it will auto-upgrade to X from that point. Regardless of whether you have upgraded the weapon at the console or not, every time you find the weapon "in the wild" again it will gain 3 more levels in NG+. At least, those are my observations thus far.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, for your first point, not quite.
    A giant asteroid hitting a relay is one thing, and space magic is another, so the clusters should be fine as far as that goes.
    As for the rest of it, pretty much.

Well, still...
    It's not just anyone who destroyed a relay. I, Commander Shepard destroyed a relay (and a star system as a result). So you'd think when someone says "doing this will destroy all the relays", even if there's a pile of Reapers flying around, I might stop and go "wait, won't that kill everybody?"
    Relay explosions are color-coded, though. A white one means the system is destroyed, a red one means Reaper tech is eliminated, a blue one means they all fly away, and a green one means everyone is a cyborg now, accomplished by adding circuit-skin to everyone (including EDI o_O).
    Bolded for Ha ha yeah I really didn't get that, either. She was fully synthetic already. Shouldn't she have gotten some skin like everyone else or something?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    ololol ending
    Seriously, whats with the human reaper anyways? Why are all the other reapers squid.

Why don't the reapers just fly in and kill all synthetic life themselves every 10,000.
    Respectively, because they have the squid shells (I think), and because Mac Walters has an enormous ego and decided nobody else got to see the ending before the game went gold.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ololol ending

The explanation is that a reaper makes up the core of those squid-ships you see flying around. A human reaper would be put into a similar squid shell if it was ever completed. If you cracked open the right bug, you might see a prothean-looking machine somewhere inside.

e: dammit carrot

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    BTW- this game is tits on ice in every respect but the ending.

And it wouldnt even knock off that many points.... its just damn!

Infiltrator tits? :P

Some of the ambient conversations in this game are just amazing, and the infiltrator tits one was a personal favorite.

I think I missed this conversation.

I really do want to play again so I can do EVERYTHING WRONG.
    Kill Mordin, kill Ash, let Jack and Morinth become your enemies, probably let Tali die (although I'd like to do the Legion dying one), basically fuck everything up. Go in with the bare minimum of WAR POINTS, and just watch the world burn.

And probably a million more tiny things that, just like in today's comic, I didn't realize I was affecting with my choices and I'm just assuming everyone has the same things happening.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Emporium wrote: »
    So is there something particular I have to do to upgrade a weapon to 10? Once I purchase the upgrades up to level V, the gun disappears as an upgrade option.
    Once you start NG+ you will be able to upgrade any gun to VII (to my knowledge), then once you find it again in the game it will auto-upgrade to X from that point. Regardless of whether you have upgraded the weapon at the console or not, every time you find the weapon "in the wild" again it will gain 3 more levels in NG+. At least, those are my observations thus far.
    ...does that mean you have to repurchase the spectre weapons to max them? guh

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ololol ending
    The humanoid reaper we fight is just the core of the ship. It'd be covered with the same tentacle-design when it was finished
    If the relays DO NOT wipe out the systems SOL is fucked. Every major military faction stuck near earth which is decimated and depleted (its why we left, earth is used up of resources.) Turians and quarians cant eat our food so they starve off. Shit is very very dire in all cases.
    In my ending everyone is a new lifeform so they might not even need the same resources regular synthetics and organics used to need

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular

I think weapons only go up to 5 in SP, but can be upgraded to 10 in MP.

We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    ololol ending

The explanation is that a reaper makes up the core of those squid-ships you see flying around. A human reaper would be put into a similar squid shell if it was ever completed. If you cracked open the right bug, you might see a prothean-looking machine somewhere inside.

e: dammit carrot
    Ok so wheres the pilot of the dead reapers (sovereign) or the one you board in ME2. justtt what

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've been thinking about the ending a lot, and I'm trying to articulate exactly why I consider it so poor without allowing nerdrage to take over. These are my thoughts so far...
    Essentially, the last scene of the game is going to set the emotional context for the series as a whole. Because they succeeded so well at getting the player invested in the world, narrative and characters there is a lot riding on the emotional intent of the final scene.

So, just on a basic level, that final scene has to end on a character note, since that's where the game is strongest and the largest emotional payoff will take place. The Anderson/Shepherd bit is exactly this. But that sort of ambiguity probably didn't provide enough closure, by itself- we want an epilogue, where the choices and interactions made throughout the series are given their capstone.

So what emotion to portray? I'm going to divide what I've observed people suggesting into two basic categories- the triumphant hero and the heroic sacrifice. I.e., whether Shepherd lives or dies. There are variants involving the level of bleakness and sacrifice. The nice thing about the series is that it could have had multiple endings. Perhaps Renegade players got the heroic sacrifice, because someone so brutal and driven has no purpose outside of war. Maybe Paragon players got their triumphant homecoming and house-on-Rannoch-by-the-beach, because sometimes soldiers get to come home. Or the other way around- the Paragon sacrifices himself for the greater good, while the Renegade finds themselves surprised to have survived and left with a life to live thinking back on what they did. Or all of the above and more! My point is, the last scene is critical for resolving the emotions the player (hopefully) developed around Shepherd. It could have been happy or sad, bleak or hopeful, triumphant or exhausting.

So what does the ending actually provide? Mainly...confusion. And disappointment. The Synthesis ending most of all; the other two are less problematic. But we can talk about the endings in terms of the game universe logic until the end of time. That's not really the problem. The problem is that the emotional weight of the series builds to a climactic point at the very end...and that emotion isn't discharged into something related to the character. It's not happy or sad. It's related to a McGuffin that we don't care about, rather than the characters we do care about. It's confusing and kind of dumb. The ending should not have us asking any questions (why is Joker in FTL? What the hell is up with the mystery planet? Why can't synthetics and organics get along?) but instead sated and fat. That is not to say they couldn't leave loose ends- I would personally prefer to have never known the Reaper's motivations- but that the chief goal of the final scene had to be resolution, not confusion.

I think most of the more specific complaints are just symptoms of this basic problem- the emotional core of the ending doesn't resolve any of the emotions built up over three games. And it needed to end on a note like that.

Professor Phobos on
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    Fuck Bioware for the asinine "unlock equipment packs and hope you randomly get the character you want!" in Multiplayer.

I just want a fucking Quarian Engineer, and I have to play until I get lucky enough to get a pack that gives it to me?!

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Asiina wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    BTW- this game is tits on ice in every respect but the ending.

And it wouldnt even knock off that many points.... its just damn!

Infiltrator tits? :P

Some of the ambient conversations in this game are just amazing, and the infiltrator tits one was a personal favorite.

I think I missed this conversation.

I really do want to play again so I can do EVERYTHING WRONG.
    Kill Mordin, kill Ash, let Jack and Morinth become your enemies, probably let Tali die (although I'd like to do the Legion dying one), basically fuck everything up. Go in with the bare minimum of WAR POINTS, and just watch the world burn.

And probably a million more tiny things that, just like in today's comic, I didn't realize I was affecting with my choices and I'm just assuming everyone has the same things happening.

From what I've read there's some interesting bits if you do certain things "wrong" in ME2.
    Like Morinth becomes a miniboss in ME3 if you kill Samara and let her live. Legion is also supposedly a miniboss if you sent him TIM instead of activating him.

• mogonkmogonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Sirson wrote: »

This is funny, because about an hour after I read the comic, I had one of those moments with one of my friends. She didn't import a character and we were talking about mission decisions (couple of early/mid game spoilers):
    Grunt died while fighting the Ravagers, and Samara never showed up for the Ardat-Yaksi mission

I'm sure there's more disparity going on, but those two were the most glaring and recent ones I can recall.

Uh huh. And that had an effect on the outcome of that situation, hmmm?

No. Of course it didn't. If character A dies before a specific situation when they would give you certain information/help you/whatever, some other character shows up to give you the information/helps you/whatever. Or the info/help/whatever turns out to be unnecessary. There are absolutely no real consequences, just pretense. Every mission goes the exact same way regardless of who is alive or dead.

Bioware isn't going to let something silly like player choice get in the way of the story they want to tell, to paraphrase David Gaider.

mogonk on
    Even in my renegade run I couldn't give up Legion. I wasn't going to give up a character entirely. Same with leaving Grunt in the tank. I was just a jerk to them.

That said, I killed Samara and took Morinth. I never really liked Samara. I find Morinth to be a much more interesting character. I think everyone else, even if I was a total ass to them, they still survived on my crew at the end of ME2.

Only character my renegade shepard was ever nice to was Thane. Her secret love!
    Every single time I walked through the ship in ME3 looking for crewmembers to talk to, I'd go into life support and sigh. Poor Thane.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mogonk wrote: »

This is funny, because about an hour after I read the comic, I had one of those moments with one of my friends. She didn't import a character and we were talking about mission decisions (couple of early/mid game spoilers):
    Grunt died while fighting the Ravagers, and Samara never showed up for the Ardat-Yaksi mission

I'm sure there's more disparity going on, but those two were the most glaring and recent ones I can recall.

No. Of course it didn't. If character A dies before a specific situation when they would give you certain information/help you/whatever, some other character shows up to give you the information/helps you/whatever. Or the info/help/whatever turns out to be unnecessary. There are absolutely no real consequences, just pretense. Every mission goes the exact same way regardless of who is alive or dead.

Bioware isn't going to let something silly like player choice get in the way of the story they want to tell, to paraphrase David Gaider.

sniff

I smell trolling.

Orca on
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Sirson wrote: »

That is simply wrong. How about Kasumi, I never got her DLC, and in the mission that she should have been in a character died because she wasn't there to help me. If you let Legion die/give him to Cerberus you can't bring peace to the Quarians and the Geth. If you destroyed Maelon's data Eve dies trying to cure the Genophage, just a few examples. I was chatting with the guy at gamestop and he had a much more brutal playthrough than I did, characters dying for him that lived for me and such. All based on our different decisions. There are consequences everywhere, and I literally can't understand your complaint.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    @Orca I was so tempted to reply to it...but trying to articulate my thoughts into words was taking considerably longer than I anticipated. Then, I saw your post and am happy that I got delayed.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

sniff

I smell trolling.

Considering he/she has 5 total posts and 4 of those are bitching about MassEffect...

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    edited March 2012

Maybe if you don't have a soul?

Seriously though, if every mission that involved an old crewmember instead involved a random person the game would be so hollow. Maybe it would play the same, but I can't see why I would ever care.
    Thinking about if you made bad choices, I guess it's possible that your squad members could only ever consist of James, EDI, and Liara since everyone else could have died before they make it onto your squad.

What a terrible, lonely, boring game that would be.

Asiina on
  • Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    ending
    my problem wasn't that shepard died

that was expected

my problem wasn't that there wasn't closure

there was too much closure

no ending would have been a better ending than nonsensical space magic and galactic civilization is still fucked hooray

I'd have fucking loved no ending
    Shepard gets shot by a reaper beam, a fetus in outer space opens its eyes, roll credits

olgafjpg.jpg

sniff

I smell trolling.

Gaider didn't write ME, as you may be aware. But when questioned about why so few choices in DA:O were reflected in DA2, Gaider replied that just because something happened in your game, that did not mean it was canon, going on to explain "it's our story".

That's Bioware for you. I'm sure you can dig up the full post if you're curious, it was on BSN.

Mass Effect has essentially the same approach. You can make all sorts of choices, but CHOO CHOO here comes the railroad plot and things go exactly the same way no matter what choices you made.

Anyone know if anything happens with Sidonis in ME3?

• Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    I smell trolling.

HEPLER WROTE THE ENTIRE ENDING BY HERSELF; THE HARPOONS, MAN THEM!

olgafjpg.jpg
    Doesn't he die at the beginning of ME1?

Small spoilers, not really
    Joker mentions him by name ever so briefly near the end of the game when talking to Shepard about their first mission.

• Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular

sniff

I smell trolling.

Gaider didn't write ME, as you may be aware. But when questioned about why so few choices in DA:O were reflected in DA2, Gaider replied that just because something happened in your game, that did not mean it was canon, going on to explain "it's our story".

That's Bioware for you. I'm sure you can dig up the full post if you're curious, it was on BSN.

Mass Effect has essentially the same approach. You can make all sorts of choices, but CHOO CHOO here comes the railroad plot and things go exactly the same way no matter what choices you made.

Well do you want to make a story with several slight variations that the players choose? Or do you want to make thousands of different stories?

One is practical, the other is not.

sniff

I smell trolling.

Yes, the genophage is cured and the krogan come to help push back the Reapers on Palaven no matter what you decide, and they'll probably be upstanding galactic citizens after the war is over. Seriously, you're ridiculously, comically wrong.

Well, you're both right.
    Obviously the game proceeds in the same overall arc no matter what. But like, say, Deus Ex 1, the level of choice and impact on characters, outcomes and worlds is large enough to give a sense of player agency nigh-unique in gaming, even if in objective terms many of the changes aren't that significant. But until CRPGs have actual AI gamemasters who can respond intelligently to an infinite array of player choices, ME3 is basically as good as it's going to get in terms of making choices matter in gaming.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Joker mentions him by name ever so briefly near the end of the game when talking to Shepard about their first mission.

@Asiina: Sidonis, not Nihilus. I know, too many Turian names sound awfully similar. Sidonis is the Turian in ME2 who
    betrays Garrus' vigilante squad and whom Garrus is sorely tempted to passionately introduce to a high-velocity bullet

As for answering the question:
    sorry, I've never stepped out of the way for Garrus to take that shot

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Okay, a multiplayer nitpick- it annoys the shit out of me the Mantis is displayed on the kill ledger as "Mantis" rather than "M-92 Mantis" when every other weapon has its letter-number designation.

It's driving me crazy. Also did the Avenger always have that gap between the upper barrel and lower? It's so dumb looking.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

sniff

I smell trolling.

I think your trolling will be much better received back on BSN where you came from. You might want to hang back there if you're looking for vindication of some kind. Pretty sure you're just gonna get people laughing at you here.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited March 2012

@Asiina: Sidonis, not Nihilus. I know, too many Turian names sound awfully similar. Sidonis is the Turian in ME2 who
    betrays Garrus' vigilante squad and whom Garrus is sorely tempted to passionately introduce to a high-velocity bullet

Oh you're right. All Turian names sound alike! I'm a space racist. :(

I guess for an answer then.
    I never heard anything about it, and I never missed a conversation with Garrus. And Sidonis was definitely alive at the end of Garrus' mission.

Asiina on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Oh you're right. All Turian names sound alike! I'm a space racist. :(

I guess for an answer then.
    I never heard anything about it, and I never missed a conversation with Garrus. And Sidonis was definitely alive at the end of Garrus' mission.

I know he turns himself into C-SEC at the end of ME2, and there's no real decision reached since everything happened ouside Council Jurisdiction.

Or at least, that's what the Wiki says.

And everything else that you can encounter in ME3 seems to have already been added to the Wiki, so if people had found him I think we would've heard about it by now.

sniff

I smell trolling.

Well do you want to make a story with several slight variations that the players choose? Or do you want to make thousands of different stories?

One is practical, the other is not.

How about 5-6 concretely different stories? How about 3-4? You're creating a false dichotomy by claiming that it's either one story or a thousand. It is absolutely possible to give player choices real, substantive consequences instead of the charade we got in ME3.

But that's not how Bioware makes games. They'd rather just make superficial alterations to the circumstances of events and call it consequences. Because frankly, they assume either that most people aren't able to see through what they're doing or that most people don't care.

Well, if the user reviews on Metacritic are anything to go by, they misjudged their audience.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    OK, I have never played ME3 multi, not even the demo. I have a level 1 Sentinel. I ready to dirtnap through a round on PC. Who's with me?

BrianJ012 is my name on Origin.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So are the Mass Effect books good/bad? My wife really, really loves Mass Effect and I was thinking of getting her a Kindle with those books on it.

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    What is hte plan for DLC for this game? I'm trying to figure out should I wait a week or a couple of months for play through #2?

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    re: endings:
    i can think of a quite a few worse endings than the ones we're given.

i'm pretty happy that the endings we GET deliver on the two vital points: eliminating the reaper threat, and setting the galaxy on a new path forward. everything beyond that is gravy, and if bioware didn't want to put too much sugar in their gravy, i'm ok with it.

That's pretty much how I viewed it too Curly.

I played a couple of rounds with a level 1 guy. I think an Adept. Just stick with the higher level people and get a bunch of assists.

In my first multiplayer game I took a Brute from full health down to one bar then tried to sidestep into a wall and died when it charged me. I'm so pro.

This discussion has been closed.