As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    Oh this is going to be good. Adam Baldwin will be guest starring on Castle! I can't wait to see these two back together.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    9:30 in on the video. Andrew mentions an Alexis spinoff. "Like Veronica Mars in college."

SOLD!

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    9:30 in on the video. Andrew mentions an Alexis spinoff. "Like Veronica Mars in college."

SOLD!
    ug pass. Veronica Mars in college was cancelled for a reason.
    I don't see it working unless she brings Havi or Laney along or something.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So they've introduced the lamest reason to keep them apart yet after yet more false starts. They better squash that next episode, it's good for some conflict, but as a road block it's just so damn stupid. Martha lets him get away with assigning the blame to Kate when I didn't see him being all forthcoming when there wasn't a massive distraction occurring...

I didn't see the culprit coming oddly, so that was kind of a nice surprise.

We're running out of episodes this season, someone is going to bring up Kate's mom again soon.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Yeah, the reason you didn't see the culprit coming is because they "logic'd" it out of thin air.

• Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    That was a pretty big leap, especially since they had weaved themselves a pretty good story for the previous 39 minutes.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

SOLD!
    ug pass. Veronica Mars in college was cancelled for a reason.
    I don't see it working unless she brings Havi or Laney along or something.

That reason being the network altering the show's formula to be easier to follow, without that the new premise would have been fine.

• Options
    quantumcat42quantumcat42 Registered User regular
    All I know is, I love me some West Side Wally.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular

He prefers just "West Side"

Also, what the fuck, the "I remember everything" conflict should have come up ages ago. At this point it is absurd how long it is taking for the two of them to smang each other.

Also, looking back, I hope that this is the worst season of Castle. It kinda seems like, after the season finale last year, they didn't know if they should keep being a fun show or a tense actiony show. So they decided to do both and excel at neither. I'm hoping that, during the off time they'll get a better grasp on what makes the show work and run with that.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I was actually thinking when they let Castle know about Beckett remembering his declaration of love that they really should have kept that a secret from us, too, if they weren't going to do anything with it before the reveal. As a surprise it would have been a fair sight more entertaining.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I was actually thinking when they let Castle know about Beckett remembering his declaration of love that they really should have kept that a secret from us, too, if they weren't going to do anything with it before the reveal. As a surprise it would have been a fair sight more entertaining.

Good call, I very much agree. At least that way the fans would be kinda like "what the hell Beckett" along side Castle. As it stands we're all sucked into the dramatic irony of it all and upset with Castle (aka the writers) that he cannot see past what he just heard.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »

He prefers just "West Side"

Also, what the fuck, the "I remember everything" conflict should have come up ages ago. At this point it is absurd how long it is taking for the two of them to smang each other.

Also, looking back, I hope that this is the worst season of Castle. It kinda seems like, after the season finale last year, they didn't know if they should keep being a fun show or a tense actiony show. So they decided to do both and excel at neither. I'm hoping that, during the off time they'll get a better grasp on what makes the show work and run with that.

I completely agree with that. They really should go just resolve the Castle/Beckett thing, make the cases less out there and be funny again.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Good call, I very much agree. At least that way the fans would be kinda like "what the hell Beckett" along side Castle. As it stands we're all sucked into the dramatic irony of it all and upset with Castle (aka the writers) that he cannot see past what he just heard.

Yeah, though they do let you see what Castle is feeling. Sadly through exposition. It would have been better if they had not told us. If it had come as a shock. We would have been rocked by the dramatic impact.

"Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are these, it might have been"

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Oh and Nathan Fillion is still the best member of the cast. Fucking sells it every time. No matter what writing he has to sell

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Feels like there have been too many non standard episodes lately. I don't mind breaking from the formula every once in a while, but seems like more episodes are outside the norm since the start of the year.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    I really would like Castle and Beckett to just get it over with and then move on the campy one liners from season 1. I kinda wonder if the writers don't know how to continue the show with the tension resolved. See "Chuck" for pointers please.

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Yeah it is getting a bit disappointing, and I agree with @Xeddicus, Martha should have called Rick on his shit. I also didn't get how Kate was listening to all the side comments from Rick and couldn't put together that he overheard her. I mean she is supposed to be an ace detective, and week after week they solve these mysteries, but it ended with her just scratching her head.

I hope they do something meaningful with it, it has been a good plot point so far, but it needs to get resolved.

• Options
    She's being blocked by Plot Stupidness, of course, just like him. Not a new occurrence, but they blatantly had both of them shine spotlights on the issue before taking it to a new level. It's probably too late in the season for them to do anything with it, they'll just ride it out. Or they'll surprise me.

• Options
    Or she's thinking "no way can he know about that"

• Options
    edited March 2012
    But if nothing else: she knows. And it's a bit beyond that at this point anyway.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just got up to the episodes with the
    nuke and Nathan from Heroes as a secret agent guy.

This the one you all hated? It was a pretty severe tonal shift, but I really liked the altered title card for the second ep, that was a nice touch. And the resolution was great, imo.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

This the one you all hated? It was a pretty severe tonal shift, but I really liked the altered title card for the second ep, that was a nice touch. And the resolution was great, imo.

That's a pretty big problem though, isn't it? If I wanted to watch 24, I would just buy the DVDs, you know?

• Options
    Fuck the haters, the ending to that story arc was some of the best TV of all time.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Fuck the haters, the ending to that story arc was some of the best TV of all time.

Yep. Also, I wasn't bothered by the change of pace. Happy to let them experiment a bit, shake things up, remind us of the people that the show is grounded in before we send Espo off to flirt with strippers while wearing Ryan's wedding band.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular

No, I believe that was last season. The hated one was a two-parter in the current season.

Also, am I alone in having zero interest in Castle & Beckett becoming a couple? I'd find the show just as entertaining if they were just friends without the romantic tension at all (maybe even more entertaining, since we wouldn't currently be having to get through this cliche "Oh, these two main characters are destined to be together, but there are just so many pointless obstacles delaying it" crap that really rubs me the wrong way).

Though that's probably just residual annoyance from my early days on internet forums and X-Files and Buffy being the things at the time.

• Options
    I don't know... the two actors have good chemistry (including sexual) so to ignore it seems a bit misplaced. But even when they're romantically involved (if they ever do) they shouldn't make a big deal about it. I see them being the friends they currently are and occasionally doing something at the end of the day.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I don't know... the two actors have good chemistry (including sexual) so to ignore it seems a bit misplaced. But even when they're romantically involved (if they ever do) they shouldn't make a big deal about it. I see them being the friends they currently are and occasionally doing something at the end of the day.

They should handle it like Community - some random episode, just say "yeah they've been doing it in secret for like 6 months now" and then they stop because it's not any fun now that people know about it. Troll the shippers! :P

• Options
    edited March 2012
    It's a little too late to go that route (friends), since they've been beating us over the head with it every 3 or 4 episodes. If they wanted to keep it a non issue should have kept it in the background a lot more.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I don't know... the two actors have good chemistry (including sexual) so to ignore it seems a bit misplaced.

Not necessarily. The actors that play Dexter and Deb on Dexter had pretty good chemistry (and were even married in real life), but most fans seem to think that chemistry should be ignored with the characters.

• Options
    Because not only was it partly ignored, but refocused. That's more an example of why not to go meddling to me, but shrug.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The romantic relationship between Castle and Beckett is the best element of the show, and the one element that truly sets it apart from all other procedurals. As much as we enjoy Nathan Fillion's mugging, the pitch for this show is "Procedural + romantic comedy". If the show has a problem it's that the relationship hasn't been progressing fast enough (or hasn't been prominent enough), not the other way around.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I knew I recognized the dance show host from somewhere, and IMDb informs me he played Roy Earle in LA Noire. Man, that game.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    I don't know... the two actors have good chemistry (including sexual) so to ignore it seems a bit misplaced.

Not necessarily. The actors that play Dexter and Deb on Dexter had pretty good chemistry (and were even married in real life), but most fans seem to think that chemistry should be ignored with the characters.

I never once thought Dexter and Deb have good sexual chemistry. Mostly because I wanted to punch her in the face during most of her scenes...

• Options
    Holy shit, the end of Season 3 was nuts.
    Killing off the chief? Did not see that coming. And then shooting Beckett on top of the sad ending? Man...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Killing off the chief? Did not see that coming. And then shooting Beckett on top of the sad ending? Man...
    I didn't like how they covered up his involvement for Kate's mother's murder after his death. This is the second time they've covered up for cops they like who were criminals. :evil:

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I didn't like how they covered up his involvement for Kate's mother's murder after his death. This is the second time they've covered up for cops they like who were criminals. :evil:
    Well ya can't bring a dead guy to justice, right? :P Destroying his reputation could only do harm, no good, so I get why they did it. If he'd lived, maybe it would have been different, they'd have time to feel betrayed and turn him in.

Just starting season 4, dayamn, I was expecting a "6 months later" and skip all this pesky Kate just got shot stuff.

Also, guess I got the ending of season 3 totally wrong! I thought Montgomery failed to kill Lockwood, and then he showed up at the funeral and shot Kate? But this ep they're saying Lockwood is dead and this was some other dude.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    You talking about experiencing season 3's finale again makes me want to re-watch it. I am so glad that I have hulu plus so I could see the immediate aftermath (even if I wasn't too thrilled with how that all got handled)

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Not a fan of tonight's episode for the fact that the drama seemed really forced. This show is not a romantic comedy, but the shit they're throwing into this relationship sure makes it feel like it is. Complication after complication. It feels really contrived.
    Castle suddenly getting a new blonde bimbo at exactly the same time when Kate finally decides to open up to him? Yeah right.

The British stuff was alright, but overall, this was one of my least favorite episodes of Castle, just because the whole relationship stuff was so forced.

• Options
    Dick Castle was pretty funny.

Contrived relationship complications were not.