As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    mogonk wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »

This is funny, because about an hour after I read the comic, I had one of those moments with one of my friends. She didn't import a character and we were talking about mission decisions (couple of early/mid game spoilers):
    Grunt died while fighting the Ravagers, and Samara never showed up for the Ardat-Yaksi mission

I'm sure there's more disparity going on, but those two were the most glaring and recent ones I can recall.

Uh huh. And that had an effect on the outcome of that situation, hmmm?

No. Of course it didn't. If character A dies before a specific situation when they would give you certain information/help you/whatever, some other character shows up to give you the information/helps you/whatever. Or the info/help/whatever turns out to be unnecessary. There are absolutely no real consequences, just pretense. Every mission goes the exact same way regardless of who is alive or dead.

Bioware isn't going to let something silly like player choice get in the way of the story they want to tell, to paraphrase David Gaider.

sniff

I smell trolling.

Gaider didn't write ME, as you may be aware. But when questioned about why so few choices in DA:O were reflected in DA2, Gaider replied that just because something happened in your game, that did not mean it was canon, going on to explain "it's our story".

That's Bioware for you. I'm sure you can dig up the full post if you're curious, it was on BSN.

Mass Effect has essentially the same approach. You can make all sorts of choices, but CHOO CHOO here comes the railroad plot and things go exactly the same way no matter what choices you made.

Well do you want to make a story with several slight variations that the players choose? Or do you want to make thousands of different stories?

One is practical, the other is not.

How about 5-6 concretely different stories? How about 3-4? You're creating a false dichotomy by claiming that it's either one story or a thousand. It is absolutely possible to give player choices real, substantive consequences instead of the charade we got in ME3.

But that's not how Bioware makes games. They'd rather just make superficial alterations to the circumstances of events and call it consequences. Because frankly, they assume either that most people aren't able to see through what they're doing or that most people don't care.

Well, if the user reviews on Metacritic are anything to go by, they misjudged their audience.

It was my belief that they WERE making different stories. At what point does a choice go from being "superficial" to "concrete"? I would say things like entire races dying out, intergalactic politics changing, etc are "concrete".

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    OK, I have never played ME3 multi, not even the demo. I have a level 1 Sentinel. I ready to dirtnap through a round on PC. Who's with me?

BrianJ012 is my name on Origin.

Just sent you a friend request. My origin name is jazzmess.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Emporium wrote: »
    So is there something particular I have to do to upgrade a weapon to 10? Once I purchase the upgrades up to level V, the gun disappears as an upgrade option.
    Once you start NG+ you will be able to upgrade any gun to VII (to my knowledge), then once you find it again in the game it will auto-upgrade to X from that point. Regardless of whether you have upgraded the weapon at the console or not, every time you find the weapon "in the wild" again it will gain 3 more levels in NG+. At least, those are my observations thus far.
    ...does that mean you have to repurchase the spectre weapons to max them? guh

You can't buy them again. I don't know how those work.

• TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Well, if the user reviews on Metacritic are anything to go by

ohohohoho

on a less douche note, going to pick up my copy of the game in a few hours. is multiplayer right out the gate something you want to steer clear of if you haven't touched the single player? at this point I'm too intrigued to hold back, since somehow the multi that I thought was thrown in on a whim is being represented as surprisingly not-horrible.

• mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Sure, but everyone's acting like the entire thing is a pile of shit because the ending is flawed.

FFS, it's not. Take a step back, look at how much fun you had, how engaged you were with the characters along the way.

Even if you hate the ending with the power of a thousand suns, didn't you enjoy drunk Tali, or target shooting with Garrus, or the Brothean talking to that Hanar, or motherfucking Blast 6: Partners in Crime?
    Just as a personal note, though I can personally tell you of a million wonderful little things that I loved about the game, mentally speaking I can't get past the ending when thinking about them.

Perhaps there are some people who are able to view these things in isolation, but I cannot. The final 5 minutes being a sour note sours the entirety of the game for me. That's why I'm so sad about the whole thing, ultimately. Literally the worst thing about the game is the thing I will most remember about it, not only due to the quality of it relative to the rest of the game, but due to it being the final moments of a three-game series I loved.

I wish to Space Jesus I could somehow mentally separate the ending from the rest of the game so I could look back fondly upon what I did like about it and go through a second playthrough without being reminded of it. But alas, I cannot.

I can mentally acknowledge that most of this game is good, even amazing, but for me I can no longer look back fondly upon the rest of it the way I would have if the ending was passable. Maybe I can get someone to block out those memories and tailor me a ME3 disc where you can't get to the final mission :(

steam_sig.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    Well, if the user reviews on Metacritic are anything to go by

ohohohoho

on a less douche note, going to pick up my copy of the game in a few hours. is multiplayer right out the gate something you want to steer clear of if you haven't touched the single player? at this point I'm too intrigued to hold back, since somehow the multi that I thought was thrown in on a whim is being represented as surprisingly not-horrible.

Multiplayer and Single Player don't really interact, and I jumped into multi headfirst and had a couple of story bits spoiled for me by chatty assbaskets. (dot tubmlr dot com)

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    The quality of the game is a double-edged sword, with regard to the ending.
    Basically, it sets up expectations so high, builds so much momentum, that when it fails at the end, it's like crashing into a wall. ME3 is like skydiving and landing wrong; everything is exhilarating until you end up breaking your leg.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Crashed on loading in to the match.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I'm ticked off because it seems like there is not enough money in the game to purchase everything. Unless I'm missing something.

Which I guess is realistic, but the completionist in me says that if there are things you can buy in a game, you should put a means to acquire enough money buy all of them in that game. I'm Lv57, done virtually everything I can find, along with DLC and I still don't have enough cash for everything.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    What is hte plan for DLC for this game? I'm trying to figure out should I wait a week or a couple of months for play through #2?

Absolutely nothing has been announced, so I wouldn't base my decision on that.

However there will be DLC. There's no question. But as far as time frame goes your guess is as good as anyones.

I mean shit, didn't Arrival come out like a year after ME2?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was basically terrified to play multiplayer in any sort of quickmatch because of potential spoilers. I had something spoiled for me while watching Day9 the day before the game came out. I was sure there'd be plenty of jerks in multiplayer.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This was a big post and I'm just addressing a tiny snippet of it...
    That is not to say they couldn't leave loose ends- I would personally prefer to have never known the Reaper's motivations- but that the chief goal of the final scene had to be resolution, not confusion.
    I agree with this. There was ultimately no real need to ever know why the Reapers reaped - and speculating about it was pretty fun (my personal favorite was that they were transcendentalist zealots). The ME universe would've dealt with that just fine too - having the galaxy left wondering why everything happened would be interesting. Wondering just what kind of context their Outside Context Problem was in. It would play right in with their whole Eldritch-horror theme, with dark space being the Abyss you shouldn't stare into.

electricitylikesme on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

This is funny, because about an hour after I read the comic, I had one of those moments with one of my friends. She didn't import a character and we were talking about mission decisions (couple of early/mid game spoilers):
    Grunt died while fighting the Ravagers, and Samara never showed up for the Ardat-Yaksi mission

I'm sure there's more disparity going on, but those two were the most glaring and recent ones I can recall.

Uh huh. And that had an effect on the outcome of that situation, hmmm?

No. Of course it didn't. If character A dies before a specific situation when they would give you certain information/help you/whatever, some other character shows up to give you the information/helps you/whatever. Or the info/help/whatever turns out to be unnecessary. There are absolutely no real consequences, just pretense. Every mission goes the exact same way regardless of who is alive or dead.

Bioware isn't going to let something silly like player choice get in the way of the story they want to tell, to paraphrase David Gaider.

sniff

I smell trolling.

Gaider didn't write ME, as you may be aware. But when questioned about why so few choices in DA:O were reflected in DA2, Gaider replied that just because something happened in your game, that did not mean it was canon, going on to explain "it's our story".

That's Bioware for you. I'm sure you can dig up the full post if you're curious, it was on BSN.

Mass Effect has essentially the same approach. You can make all sorts of choices, but CHOO CHOO here comes the railroad plot and things go exactly the same way no matter what choices you made.

Well do you want to make a story with several slight variations that the players choose? Or do you want to make thousands of different stories?

One is practical, the other is not.

How about 5-6 concretely different stories? How about 3-4? You're creating a false dichotomy by claiming that it's either one story or a thousand. It is absolutely possible to give player choices real, substantive consequences instead of the charade we got in ME3.

But that's not how Bioware makes games. They'd rather just make superficial alterations to the circumstances of events and call it consequences. Because frankly, they assume either that most people aren't able to see through what they're doing or that most people don't care.

Well, if the user reviews on Metacritic are anything to go by, they misjudged their audience.

The reviews on Metacritic are a bunch of trolls and idiots and are not to be taken seriously.

The consequences are not fucking superficial. Massive changes to how major series plot lines are resolved result from what happens during your trilogy playthrough.

And this is already a game that took tons of money and effort to make. Expecting the entire narrative to be radically different for each major choice is unrealistic and immature. And so is acting like Bioware is lazy for not doing so when they've done more impressive things with choice and consequence with the ME series than any other dev ever has.

There are some legit complaints about ME3, the fact that they didn't rewrite the game three more times is not one of them.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Some of the Bioware hate is just getting really stupid. I hate, and I mean haaaaaaaaate the ending but the rest of the game is fantastic.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    Also, there's a number of gaming websites talking about the ending thing and they're completely missing the point.
    A sad ending is just fine if it isn't half assed.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    What is hte plan for DLC for this game? I'm trying to figure out should I wait a week or a couple of months for play through #2?

I know they said that they wanted to avoid a Katsumi situation, which is why their squadmate DLC was day-1 to allow people to play with the character their first time through. Given that the DLCs are usually planned during development, this *implies* that there won't be anymore henchmen DLC. So you can play through again without worries.

However, I'm pretty sure they've said no new ending or past ending-type stuf. I'm not sure what that means or if I'm interpreting things incorrectly. It could be middle ME3 missions/sidequests like 'from ashes' -which would again be bad. I'm wondering if we're done with 'Shepard' content and will get DLC concerning other characters and what they have been up to between ME2 and ME3. Or just weapon/armor/appearance packs from here on out.

I guess I typed alot of words to say 'I dunno, but we probably won't see any more squadmates'.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

is multiplayer right out the gate something you want to steer clear of if you haven't touched the single player? at this point I'm too intrigued to hold back, since somehow the multi that I thought was thrown in on a whim is being represented as surprisingly not-horrible.

If you want spoiler free times, I'll happily play versus Cerbies or Geth. You may want to avoid playing the Reapers, though, since some of the units *can* be kinda spoilerish. I'll most likely be good to go in about two to two and a half hours or so.

(It should be noted that this will be perfect since I <3 my Quarian Infiltrator too much to promote her...and she's built for countering all Geth and the annoying parts of the Cerb forces)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So, if there are any future N7 mission DLC, would it be wrong to ask for more multiplayer areas?

Also, which is everyone's favorite?
    I like the SETI style one in the desert the best. It's not overly complex, has a nice defensive position, and a nice view/skybox.

Least favorite is that interior Cerberus base. Too cramped.

Also, for weapon upgrades in SP there's a terminal in the hanger that specifically says "weapon upgrade terminal" where you buy the newer versions of the weapons you already have. It's on the left console.

newSig.jpg

is multiplayer right out the gate something you want to steer clear of if you haven't touched the single player? at this point I'm too intrigued to hold back, since somehow the multi that I thought was thrown in on a whim is being represented as surprisingly not-horrible.

If you want spoiler free times, I'll happily play versus Cerbies or Geth. You may want to avoid playing the Reapers, though, since some of the units *can* be kinda spoilerish. I'll most likely be good to go in about two to two and a half hours or so.

(It should be noted that this will be perfect since I <3 my Quarian Infiltrator too much to promote her...and she's built for countering all Geth and the annoying parts of the Cerb forces)

Hey I still don't get that, what do you get for promoting a class in MP? Promoted soldier just to see and still don't get it.

edited March 2012

Hey I still don't get that, what do you get for promoting a class in MP? Promoted soldier just to see and still don't get it.

Promoting adds a War Asset (each promotion is worth 75 war asset points). It'll be listed under N7 Special Ops or something.

EDIT - I forgot the downside: it resets that class's level. So my level 20 Quarian Infiltrator would go back to being level 1.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Reapers are a bitch for the unprepared. They have heavy duty melee and artilery units that will mess you up very, very fast. They're much more difficult to deal with consistantly than Cerberus or the Geth.

That being said, I was with Plush earlier today and a few other PA folks and we pretty much steamrollered all comers on bronze. It was pretty awesome.

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Ending stuff
    Just finished. The 'choice' was a bit of a weird one, but I didn't think it was an awful ending.
    I chose to destroy synthetics. Wasn't really clear on what it would destroy, it showed reapers getting killed, but tanks and troops on earth unharmed, then you see the normandy getting disintegrated. Even though the nerd in me is hung up on that, I still enjoyed the ending, even if it wasn't quite up to the par the rest of the game set.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Promoting adds a War Asset (each promotion is worth 75 war asset points). It'll be listed under N7 Special Ops or something.

EDIT - I forgot the downside: it resets that class's level. So my level 20 Quarian Infiltrator would go back to being level 1.

So it's pretty much just ME3's version of prestige'ing? Meh, its not like you need War Assets in Solo play anyway. Is there any multiplayer benefit to promoting them? Because if not, I'd just get them all to 20 and call it good.

Speaking of. Are all the races per class leveled by playing on? Like it says 9 for my soldier, are they all 9 then?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Yeah my soldier is back to 1, really though it's nice to run through bronze missions now and then so I don't mind levelling up really. The multiplayer in this game is WAY beyond what I expected, it plays well and it's a LOT of fun.

So it's pretty much just ME3's version of prestige'ing? Meh, its not like you need War Assets in Solo play anyway. Is there any multiplayer benefit to promoting them? Because if not, I'd just get them all to 20 and call it good.

Speaking of. Are all the races per class leveled by playing on? Like it says 9 for my soldier, are they all 9 then?

No, there is no benefit to promoting them save for e-peen strokage on the leaderboard. Yes, they will all be 9.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Okay so what does "Promote" do for the single player? I just checked the war room, and I couldn't find either of the characters I promoted. Which is good, because I didn't know they could show up in the single player and so gave them dumb names, but I couldn't find any indication of where they appeared as assets. Anyone know?

The reviews on Metacritic are a bunch of trolls and idiots and are not to be taken seriously.

The consequences are not fucking superficial. Massive changes to how major series plot lines are resolved result from what happens during your trilogy playthrough.

And this is already a game that took tons of money and effort to make. Expecting the entire narrative to be radically different for each major choice is unrealistic and immature. And so is acting like Bioware is lazy for not doing so when they've done more impressive things with choice and consequence with the ME series than any other dev ever has.

There are some legit complaints about ME3, the fact that they didn't rewrite the game three more times is not one of them.

But see, here's the thing:
    Aside from an arbitrary number on readiness score your past actions have absolutely no impact on the way the story ends, and that's what's frustrating to people.

I don't think they had to write ten different endings to get that. Even giving us a singular option that was unlocked by certain decisions in the game would have been nice. hell, they even could have given us just the same damn endings only they were all locked by certain decisions in the game that you had to make. Just doing that small thing would have made the player feel like they had a ton more agency in the storyline instead of the DeuxExMachina giving us three flavors to choose from irrespective of our decisions in the game.

My perspective, personally, is that either there was some kind of desire to railroad player choice, or they simply ran out of time and had to rush the finale to meet their deadline. I'm thinking it's likely the second more than the first.

steam_sig.png
    Okay so what does "Promote" do for the single player? I just checked the war room, and I couldn't find either of the characters I promoted. Which is good, because I didn't know they could show up in the single player and so gave them dumb names, but I couldn't find any indication of where they appeared as assets. Anyone know?

It's incredibly generic. Under Alliance it'll be the "Unofficial" N7 Special Ops entry (at least, that's what I'm thinking it is, the description made it sound the most plausible). Which is really too bad. I wanted to see an entry listing my Human Adept Fluttershy leading an Alliance biotic artillery team against the Reapers...

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    Banshee's are a complete pain in the arse, especially on Firepost Ghost extraction waves. Fuck em all.

Is there any benefit to getting spectre packs? I got an n7 shotgun in one which would have been sweet for a vanguard but the other stuff seemed meh. Looking to unlock the asari adept asap so do I spam recruit or veteran or risk spectre packs?

It's incredibly generic. Under Alliance it'll be the "Unofficial" N7 Special Ops entry (at least, that's what I'm thinking it is, the description made it sound the most plausible). Which is really too bad. I wanted to see an entry listing my Human Adept Fluttershy leading an Alliance biotic artillery team against the Reapers...

My Krogan's name is Grapeape. I could see how they wouldn't want 'Grapeape leads an army of soldiers against the reapers' in the mix of the serious war list.

danx wrote: »
    Banshee's are a complete pain in the arse, especially on Firepost Ghost extraction waves. Fuck em all.

Is there any benefit to getting spectre packs? I got an n7 shotgun in one which would have been sweet for a vanguard but the other stuff seemed meh. Looking to unlock the asari adept asap so do I spam recruit or veteran or risk spectre packs?

Stick with Veteran packs to get the Asari. I believe she's listed as a "rare" unlock, which will require Veteran or Spectre. About the only benefit of getting the Spectre packs is the chance of getting the ultra-rare unlocks.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular

My Krogan's name is Grapeape. I could see how they wouldn't want 'Grapeape leads an army of soldiers against the reapers' in the mix of the serious war list.

I named my krogan soldier Ron Weasley.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    Can you only upgrade Guns to V in the Campaign?

Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
    Honestly, when I was still playing multi, I hated having to name every character I got.

I think all my characters names were three random letters or numbers---because no one else actually sees them.

steam_sig.png
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    DudBolt wrote: »

Yep, same goes for addons.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

It's an alternative way of respeccing if you have a race/class with a spec that you really didn't like. The only other way is the (rare) respec card out of the credit boxes.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    On your first playthrough, yes.

Question about NG+ weapon upgrades: is it tied to the character or an achievement?
    For example, I cleared the game once, can I go beyond level 5 weapons on just that Sheppard or can I on any future Sheppard?

newSig.jpg
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

It's a little worse than that from what I've read. Promotion is done on the class level, not the character level. So if you have a level 12 Salarian Infiltrator when you choose to promote your level 20 Quarian Infiltrator, both will get knocked down to level 1.

cckerberos.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

But see, here's the thing:
    Aside from an arbitrary number on readiness score your past actions have absolutely no impact on the way the story ends, and that's what's frustrating to people.

I don't think they had to write ten different endings to get that. Even giving us a singular option that was unlocked by certain decisions in the game would have been nice. hell, they even could have given us just the same damn endings only they were all locked by certain decisions in the game that you had to make. Just doing that small thing would have made the player feel like they had a ton more agency in the storyline instead of the DeuxExMachina giving us three flavors to choose from irrespective of our decisions in the game.

My perspective, personally, is that either there was some kind of desire to railroad player choice, or they simply ran out of time and had to rush the finale to meet their deadline. I'm thinking it's likely the second more than the first.

That is an understandable complaint. But it wasn't the complaint I was responding to.

LockedOnTarget on
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    DudBolt wrote: »

You can get them higher in NG+.

cckerberos.png
This discussion has been closed.