As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Alright, thanks. I'll wrap that up tomorrow night.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Can someone tell me how much of the game I have left? Late game spoilers:
    I've gone through Cronos Station and am heading to Earth. Half hour? Hour?

Friendly advice. Minor spoilers for late ending.
    After an obvious endy bit where Shepard says "Anderson?", go do laundry or make a sammich or something. Quit. Watch the credits on youtube.

It's a good ending. Everything after... isn't.

Correction. There's some great stuff up until a weird glowing elevator thing lifts Shepard. Just makes the ending a bit less... endy.

After the elevator, quality drops to below nil.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I unlocked Salarian Engineer the other day... I really should try to level him.. especially since the random packs hate me and refuse to give me ANY shotguns for my Vanguard (except I got Geth Plasma Shotgun once, but the recoil and shot speed is so terrible that I can't even use it after a charge)

I have four sniper rifles but one assault rifle. I hate sniper rifles and almost never touch them.

I also just got some upgrades for the basic pistol so I'm at like level 2 or 3 with it. Thank god I got the Disciple or I'd have no idea what my vanguard would carry. It costs me cooldown but that gun is worth it.

Same on the pistol. I wish I'd get a Disciple. One of the best shotguns in single player at least IMO (outside of the Spectre one).

I wish there was a little more control over what you got. Like if you could spend extra money to ensure you get a random shotgun or what have you, rather than relying on pure luck.

Even a bit of weighting towards the class you have currently selected would be nice. Like I said, 4 snipers and I haven't touched a class associated with snipers.

I have no sympathy for you.

My class is Infiltrator and I've only picked up two sniper rifles but I have worthless shotguns and assault rifles coming out of my ass.

...well ok, one of those sniper rifles is the Widow so you get a little sympathy.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So yeah...

Donnicton on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    ending:
    Bullshit. damm near everything after I shoot Martin Sheen (having been unable to convince him to spare me the effort). Frankly I was fine with the reapers being some lovecraftian horror from beyond the stars, and didn't need or want them to be summed up in 180 seconds of dialogue. Further, the choices (aside from occuring in a near total vacuum in which your personal actions and such leading up to that point have no real bearing whatsoever) come across as some sort of absurd trinity of "ha ha fuck you sheperd." Would have been better if I was confronted by a giant plug that I just had to haul out of a wall socket.

Barring that (and an option to have the fleet blow the citadel to shit) and not shooting starchild's face wasn't yielding a desirable result. I decided to go for synthesis because it seemed to be the most banal option.

Then the freaking relays explode for some reason, Joker picked up the crew of the normandy and decided to flee for reasons I can not fathom and then crashes on some planet in bumfuck nowhere.

I have no idea what I was expecting from the ending, but this... Is this what Bioware had planned from the start? To have this incredibly disconnected ending that utterly fucks everyone over?

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    OK so my first playthrough was as my "canon" soldier. Started on Insanity, moved to Hardcore because fuck that first mission with brutes, as I believe I mentioned.

But now I'm doing my RenFem InsanGuard playthrough, and it feels like easy mode. Vangod indeed.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'm having so much fun looking through these pictures. This one cracked me up:
    7454_0be4.jpeg

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    So, I was playing the multiplayer and after finishing a game I was awarded another starter pack. Then I tried to switch to a different character and noticed all the stuff I unlocked (guns, alternate races and modifiers) was gone, save for the levels for the default race/class combinations. Only thing I was able to keep was my quarian infiltrator, but fairly sure she will go the moment I switch to another character.

Anyone else experience this or know if there is a way to fix things?

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Ending fan theory:
    How is "all of it was just an indoctrination hallucination" any better than "it was all just a dream"?

People must really hate the current set of endings if the end to that shitty season of Dallas is the best thing we've got.

Also, asking/demanding DLC to fix something you didn't like is dumb. Gamer entitlement is astounding sometimes.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They're feeling super entitled to pay them more money for more content!

That's

wait

What are you saying here?

No don't answer that don't do it you scallywag. Don't you dare.

So the Carnifex is the best thing ever, but the Paladin is even better, huh?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    kaz67 wrote: »
    So, I was playing the multiplayer and after finishing a game I was awarded another starter pack. Then I tried to switch to a different character and noticed all the stuff I unlocked (guns, alternate races and modifiers) was gone, save for the levels for the default race/class combinations. Only thing I was able to keep was my quarian infiltrator, but fairly sure she will go the moment I switch to another character.

Been hearing this bug a lot, bit worried about getting hit with it and losing all my stuff.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    about ashley (mid game i think?)
    i gather if i took the blue paragon option i could of got her to join the sqaud? i picked the top one and we agreed we'd just second guess each other but im now im wondering if something is going to come up and i've screwed myself... no spoilers but did i probably did the right thing? i might save her dialogue and such for one of my other shepards i guess..

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Ending fan theory:
    How is "all of it was just an indoctrination hallucination" any better than "it was all just a dream"?

People must really hate the current set of endings if the end to that shitty season of Dallas is the best thing we've got.

Also, asking/demanding DLC to fix something you didn't like is dumb. Gamer entitlement is astounding sometimes.
    They did recalls on Deception because the outcry was so loud. I'd be more then happy to pay five bucks for a better ending then... whatever the hell that thing was I got on sunday afternoon. Christ, X-men destiny had a better ending then that, and it screamed budget title.

• Options
    about ashley (mid game i think?)
    i gather if i took the blue paragon option i could of got her to join the sqaud? i picked the top one and we agreed we'd just second guess each other but im now im wondering if something is going to come up and i've screwed myself... no spoilers but did i probably did the right thing? i might save her dialogue and such for one of my other shepards i guess..
    I had Kaiden, but assuming its the same deal you should be able to get her back if you choose paragon options and the right dialogue option after some other stuff happens.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ending fan theory:

Good thing you got all bent out of shape about something you jumped to conclusions about and decided to be angry over.

Sure, I'm sure there's a few people demanding DLC to "fix" the ending but at least in the massive thread in the bioware forums that discuss the theory you're referring to
    it isn't an entitlement thing at all. It's people putting together the pieces of an ending that doesn't make sense within the context of the game. And it doesn't make sense and there are a lot of obvious things that stand out that don't fit. It's people purely hoping that it's an indoctrination attempt by Harbinger and how you choose to act will determine whether the indoctrination fails or works. And there's hope that there is something Bioware has up its sleeve regarding what follows; and they've hinted that there's something we don't know yet. In fact they explicitly said there's things we don't know yet.

So people are coming up with things they hope to see or hope happen(ed). Speculation isn't unique to this situation or this game, and there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe they're wrong, maybe they're right. It's no skin off your back so why do you give a shit?

But hey, go ahead and demonize everyone. Self-righteousness is awesome mate! Keep on keeping on!

EDIT:
    In fact there's things on the fucking disc that hint at a different ending. Dialogue from Joker during a battle between the Normandy and Harbinger. That alone leads to various ideas about the reality of the ending and might explain why your presumably dead squadmates are on the Normandy at the end. Does it for sure mean something? Obviously not. But its got people curious and coming up with ideas.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Ending fan theory:

People just hate the ending that much that they can't actually believe that we're given is the real thing and are looking for ways to make it make more sense.

I really do understand it, honestly. I went looking for some more closure when I beat it (green ending) because I literally couldn't believe that's all there was. When I realized that what I got was the best the game's ending had to offer, I honestly felt a little sad, and haven't totally shook it yet. It may sound a little pitiful, but it's totally true.

I can only imagine how some people who are the ultra-fans of this stuff might react to it. These attempts at finding an ending that doesn't actually exist is part of that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    i plan on taking ironside through the trilogy soon.

frankx.jpg

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    kaz67 wrote: »

Been hearing this bug a lot, bit worried about getting hit with it and losing all my stuff.

Yea it really sucks. As far as I can tell, nothing unusual happened prior to the alert about the starter pack either. Though hearing its not that uncommon does gives me some hope they may release a fix.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Holy crap. I didn't think the mass effect character creator was good for anything.

I've been proven wrong.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, angry rant time.
    About the end of the game, possible spoilers.
    Some of the people going on about how they don't want to live because of the ME3 ending are fucking ridiculous. They're sad. Very very sad. The people going on about how Bioware is a bad company, how the game is bad, they're idiots. That's obvious. However, all these gaming websites talking about entitlement and acting like everyone angry about the ending is a spoiled brat need to go fuck themselves, how out of touch with the gaming community are they when they can't spot that this ending is shit and people might be onto something with that fact? It's like I can HEAR them protecting advertising dollars by writing some of these pieces, it's just sad, Kotaku posted an article saying the ending is bad, and people should be upset, but before that they acted like it was horseshit in another piece. The whole thing just reeks of them doing what's best for them as a business and not just reporting on it.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Holy crap. I didn't think the mass effect character creator was good for anything.

I've been proven wrong.

Yeah, at least for dudeshep, it has some amazing range.

• Options
    Okay, angry rant time.
    Some of the people going on about how they don't want to live because of the ME3 ending are fucking ridiculous. They're sad. Very very sad. The people going on about how Bioware is a bad company, how the game is bad, they're idiots. That's obvious. However, all these gaming websites talking about entitlement and acting like everyone angry about the ending is a spoiled brat need to go fuck themselves, how out of touch with the gaming community are they when they can't spot that this ending is shit and people might be onto something with that fact? It's like I can HEAR them protecting advertising dollars by writing some of these pieces, it's just sad, Kotaku posted an article saying the ending is bad, and people should be upset, but before that they acted like it was horseshit in another piece. The whole thing just reeks of them doing what's best for them as a business and not just reporting on it.

I honestly doubt it's that insidious---I just think that they know folks in these companies and the natural instinct is to stick up for the people they know in the industry.

Unfortunately, when you have a crazy or two that shares your same opinion, sometimes people only hear the crazies and not the sane person with a similar opinion.

I think, however, that the uproar is too big to completely ignore in this case, or pretend it's just a case of a few loons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It's clearly not just a few loons.

The outrage just seems over the top to me. I've read countless people describing why they're outraged, but I still don't grok why they feel that way.

OK, so there's problems, but they're not that bad.

Except, apparently, it's enough to taint the entire series in the eyes of more than a few people.

sigh.

Oh well...

• Options
    It reminds me of how you see the occupy wallstreet thing reported on. The biggest nutjobs make the news and they act like it's the entire group that's a bunch of insane d-bags and the main points people are trying to make get completely lost.
    It bothers me because even if they know the people making the game and want to defend the devs it should be obvious by the response that it's not just a really small group of nutjobs.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Fighting a Brute as a Vanguard is the new ballsiest thing ever. Every time you charge in to Nova is a diceroll over whether you'll get hit with the instant kill animation. Highlight of my experience of the Vanguard so far - Finishing off three Brutes simultaneously on Tuchanka with a single Nova.

• Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    Yet more ending stuff:
    I think the most frustrating thing for me is that I can't figure out why the ending is what it is. I just can't comprehend the thought process on the part of the writers. It's not that it's the worst ending in any medium ever, but I just can't imagine a writing group polishing it off and thinking "You know, I think most of our fan base will be pleased". I mean I guess one could argue that their job is to get their artistic expression across, public opinion be damned, but it seems unlikely to me. The game is supposed to make money, make people like it, make people crave more stuff set in the Mass Effect universe and the ending just seems at odds with that.

Bottom line: I just can't figure out if they thought people would actually like the ending and it bugs the hell out of me.

• Options
    It reminds me of how you see the occupy wallstreet thing reported on. The biggest nutjobs make the news and they act like it's the entire group that's a bunch of insane d-bags and the main points people are trying to make get completely lost.
    It bothers me because even if they know the people making the game and want to defend the devs it should be obvious by the response that it's not just a really small group of nutjobs.

I can understand the people making a reasoned critique of ending and its problems. Some of them are even enlightening to read (like Jacobkosh's critique of ME3's ending). But most veer off into it completely ruining the entire game and I just don't understand it.

At this point just as a personal poll, about half the people I know who've played it loved the game, thought the ending was ok, or flawed but given everything else it was fine. The other half think the ending was made by Hitler, and the entire game by extension has become Space Hitler.

• Options
    And yes comparing it to occupy sounds crazy I dont give that much of a shit about this, it still annoys the hell out of me haha. Kinda realized that sounds a bit nuts there in the last post.

• Options
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Yet more ending stuff:
    I think the most frustrating thing for me is that I can't figure out why the ending is what it is. I just can't comprehend the thought process on the part of the writers. It's not that it's the worst ending in any medium ever, but I just can't imagine a writing group polishing it off and thinking "You know, I think most of our fan base will be pleased". I mean I guess one could argue that their job is to get their artistic expression across, public opinion be damned, but it seems unlikely to me. The game is supposed to make money, make people like it, make people crave more stuff set in the Mass Effect universe and the ending just seems at odds with that.

Bottom line: I just can't figure out if they thought people would actually like the ending and it bugs the hell out of me.

Well, I've heard the problem is it wasn't signed off by a writing group...

• Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Yet more ending stuff:

Well, I've heard the problem is it wasn't signed off by a writing group...

That would explain a great deal...That's pretty weird, but I guess that's something internal that we're unlikely to ever get total disclosure on.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Okay, angry rant time.

I honestly doubt it's that insidious---I just think that they know folks in these companies and the natural instinct is to stick up for the people they know in the industry.

Unfortunately, when you have a crazy or two that shares your same opinion, sometimes people only hear the crazies and not the sane person with a similar opinion.

I think, however, that the uproar is too big to completely ignore in this case, or pretend it's just a case of a few loons.

Well. That's usually because the crazy person is shouting louder than everyone else.

I will say that we've managed to get a good equilibrium going in this thread though. I mean some people still don't like the ending, some do, some don't care. But not as bad as it was a bit ago.

Which is good because man did that stuff give me a headache.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Just finished. The ending:
    I'm not as bothered by it as some here, but I wasn't blown away by it like I was in ME2. I replayed the Suicide Mission over and over and over because it was so cinematic, the heroic narrative of the mission choices was perfectly implemented.

ME3, not so much. I destroyed the Reapers, of course, like the One Ring anything that touches them is corrupted by them, and so the only path to true freedom was their destruction. I think that the designers clearly intended the Synthesis ending to be the "best" one, where organics and synthetics have learned to cooperate with each other. What the game needed, badly, was a Heroic ending, with Shepard leading strike teams through London and then to the Citadel, where he pushes the button to destroy the Reapers forever. There are indications that this is what the designers had in mind, otherwise why go to all the trouble of pointing out the krogan and asari and salarian troops on the ground ? But for whatever reason they moved away from it.

DLC will obviously be Omega, first. Followed by a "Lost in Space" story about the NORMANDY's crew exploring and surviving on their jungle planet. I wouldn't be surprised if this works in the ground vehicle exploration stuff which Bioware likes so much. Also wouldn't be surprised if, when the NORMANDY's crew is rescued, Shepard's love interest doesn't end up with a post-credits knock on the door to find a Shepard-shaped shadow finally coming home...

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Okay, angry rant time.

Well. That's usually because the crazy person is shouting louder than everyone else.

I will say that we've managed to get a good equilibrium going in this thread though. I mean some people still don't like the ending, some do, some don't care. But not as bad as it was a bit ago.

Haha, that's true, the guy saying "Well sir, my point is this." doesn't get as much attention as the asshole running around screaming "THE CIA PUT A CHIP IN MY BRAIN!" while playing the fucking bongo drums.

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Fighting a Brute as a Vanguard is the new ballsiest thing ever. Every time you charge in to Nova is a diceroll over whether you'll get hit with the instant kill animation. Highlight of my experience of the Vanguard so far - Finishing off three Brutes simultaneously on Tuchanka with a single Nova.

The ballsiest, and simultaneously dumbest, thing ever is charging a Banshee.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Favorite single line of dialogue ? Holy Cow that's a tough one, there are so many. I guess I'll go with:
    "I'll bet you say that to every guy who just saved your homeworld."

• Options
    Lemming wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

The ballsiest, and simultaneously dumbest, thing ever is charging a Banshee.

Hey, it's worked out for ok before

once

the second time I become a hood ornament

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I will say I can charge a banshee 6 out of 10 times without being instagibbed.

I like those odds.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    My previous playthrough that I aborted before the ending was an Adept, and banshees were little more than warp sponges who floated slowly around the place doing fuckall. Do they do more as a different character?

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I can understand the people making a reasoned critique of ending and its problems. Some of them are even enlightening to read (like Jacobkosh's critique of ME3's ending). But most veer off into it completely ruining the entire game and I just don't understand it.

At this point just as a personal poll, about half the people I know who've played it loved the game, thought the ending was ok, or flawed but given everything else it was fine. The other half think the ending was made by Hitler, and the entire game by extension has become Space Hitler.

I can't speak for anyone but myself but
    I can acknowledge that 10 minutes ruining three whole games doesn't make sense logically speaking, but you have to realize that it "ruining" it for me is primarily an emotional reaction I can't exactly explain.

Like, I can tell you all day rationally why i think the ending isn't very good, but most of that is simply me trying to figure out why I had such a negative emotional reaction to it after it ended.

I mean, all it boils down to in the end is that it struck me wrong in a pretty profound way.

Most of me still reading about this stuff is figuring out the why, and occasionally reading someone's reactions I can relate to.

That's why I think discussion of this stuff gets pretty heated---all the reasonable explanations in the world don't negate that first gut reaction to something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Okay, angry rant time.

It seems that the universal overwhelming opinion is that the ending had serious issues and was generally negatively received though.

This discussion has been closed.