As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    So for multiplayer is it worth buying Veteran Packs or should I always save up for Spectre?

Also, when is a good level to start Silver/Gold? I've only been playing Bronze for now.

Ending:
    So since the Normandy gets trashed in the Control ending, doesn't that mean EDI is going to end up dying since all of her major processors are on board?

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    [

How does this make any sense? If I come up to and kick you in the nuts and you don't like it, can I say "you're willfully choosing to dislike this"?

I've actually seen people use this as an excuse to troll people on the Internet. Never understood this "you're responsible for your own feelings" argument. Feelings are not a matter of choice. You feel what you feel, you like what you like. Pretending and surpressing feelings are not the same.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    eeSanG wrote: »
    So for multiplayer is it worth buying Veteran Packs or should I always save up for Spectre?

Also, when is a good level to start Silver/Gold? I've only been playing Bronze for now.

Ending:
    So since the Normandy gets trashed in the Control ending, doesn't that mean EDI is going to end up dying since all of her major processors are on board?

... Well, you just removed pretty much my only hangup about picking
    red

I won all the bronze maps on the 360 and hit like level 19 on my engineer, and it chucked me into silver. I promptly got kicked from silver due to apparently not being awesome enough or something, as "assists be damned". So, I'm just not gonna play silver for a while 'cause my assumption is that it's full of the people I don't really wanna play with. (Besides, I'm not really that good unless it's a Geth level, and then an engineer is just cheating. Bronze is about right.)

I'm assuming that people in silver will just kick you at low levels, low score, etc, so if you're worried about that I'd try for 19-20 minimum first.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Yo dawg, I heard you don't like the ending...
    15992406.jpg

Love this.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    All I really care about for silver is level 15+ on that character class. Higher overall level will let me lower my standards to maybe 12-13. Anything less and you're useless.

That said I just unlocked krogan soldier earlier tonight and have been running around in bronze meleeing the fuck out of everything. Probably doesn't work at higher difficulty but it's a fun change of pace from the typical low health adept/inf/engi I play at max range.

MOBA DOTA.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    You're coming across "dicks" on LIVE. There is a spreadsheet with people from here on it listed by platform. Find it. Use it. Profit.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

My take on this is, 15 items with three chances at an uncommon or rare, is way better than 5 items with one guaranteed rare. The Spectre Pack is just too costly. It'd be worthwhile at double the cost of a Vet Pack, or maybe a few K more.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    IMO people who let the ending ruin the game and the series for them are more obnoxious than the people who feel that they're somehow entitled to a "real" ending.

Luckily reality is there aren't that many of either. They are just the loudest; like with so many things.
    This is an extraordinarily shitty thing to say. I don't think anyone for whom the ending harmed the series or the game are doing that on purpose.

Hell, I even tried to go back and play ME3 again and I couldn't enjoy it. I'm not fucking doing it willfully.

Yes you are. The game can't make you dislike it. You willfully chose to do so. Own your actions and feelings for fucks sake.

How does this make any sense? If I come up to and kick you in the nuts and you don't like it, can I say "you're willfully choosing to dislike this"?

Things that are poor quality can make you dislike them.

Yes, the ending was of poor quality and you can dislike it.

That's perfectly fine.

But the rest of the game is not. The rest of the game is of excellent quality. If you let 10 minutes of a poor ending ruin excellent gameplay, excellent characters and relationships, decisions and interactions, then that is your choice.

Your analogy does not fit. The end result is not the entire journey and if you let one color the other you're choosing to do that.

If I have a 7 course meal of the finest food in the world and the dessert is shit cake it doesn't retroactively make all that wonderful food terrible unless I choose to look at it that way.

Obviously there is a limit to an individuals control over their feelings, but if you honestly think that you don't' control your feelings and you are a slave to your reaction then you need to take some time and work out some skills with how to effectively interact with others and the world where you are in control of yourself and you're not just blowing in the wind reacting to what everyone else is doing to you. That's pretty damn weak.

And as often as I fall for trolls, they're right. My reaction is my decision. They can be massive dicks and push buttons and know it but me choosing to respond is on me. I can get up and walk away and leave it. But if I don't it is my fault. The initial anger? The initial reaction? Yeah, that's more on them then me. Anger is instinct. But after that, you either control your own situation or it controls you.

You can watch the ending of the game and hate it with a passion because it is bad. Fine. Dandy. But if you then choose to retroactively hate the game and the prior games that is entirely on you. Not on Bioware, not on the ending and not on anything else. You.

Anyway, I'm done with this conversation, there's nothing else to say.

Regarding the whole speculation issue with the ending being
    an indoctrination attempt or whatever, there's more proof in the Saren confrontation in ME.

When you challenge him in what Sovereign did to him (implanted tech to "strengthen his resolve" he responds: "The relationship is symbiotic. Organic and machine intertwined. A union of flesh and steel. The strengths of both, and the weaknesses of neither. I am a vision of the future, Shepard. The evolution of all organic life. This is our destiny. Join Sovereign and experience a true rebirth." which sounds awfully familiar to what the Catalyst tells you re: Synthesis.

Shepard is being played.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    THIS ENTIRE THREAD HURTS YOU

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    There's a rumor on the internet with some forums posting proof that either
    -> spoilering the ending on web forums
    AND
    -> disliking it
    actually DECREASES your galactic readiness score.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ok now they're just being cockteases:

@SamHulick @masseffect Listening to my ME3 CE soundtrack for the first time after beating the game. Love it so far, awesome job!

@slimavery Cool! Does it make you want to play again?

@masseffect Maybe. I still have mixed feelings about the ending. I'll play again eventually though, still need to do the DLC and hit lv 60.

@slimavery All are good choices. And don't be too bummed about the ending. Next time you play, it may be different. ;-)

EDIT: I keep seeing people on other forums mention that there was an ending leaked in that demo/beta leak awhile back. Does anyone have any idea what it was supposedly? The ending that was supposedly leaked I mean.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    the_Frollo wrote: »
    There's a rumor on the internet with some forums posting proof that either
    -> spoilering the ending on web forums
    AND
    -> disliking it
    actually DECREASES your galactic readiness score.

I've heard that if you say anything negative about the game Garrus can die really early on!
    really now, I refuse to actually believe people on the internet are actually that dumb

but I've been wrong about that before

Ok now they're just being cockteases:

@SamHulick @masseffect Listening to my ME3 CE soundtrack for the first time after beating the game. Love it so far, awesome job!

@slimavery Cool! Does it make you want to play again?

@masseffect Maybe. I still have mixed feelings about the ending. I'll play again eventually though, still need to do the DLC and hit lv 60.

@slimavery All are good choices. And don't be too bummed about the ending. Next time you play, it may be different. ;-)

EDIT: I keep seeing people on other forums mention that there was an ending leaked in that demo/beta leak awhile back. Does anyone have any idea what it was supposedly? The ending that was supposedly leaked I mean.

That "it might be different" comment is about being able to choose 2 other endings and the little secret video after one of the endings. That's it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Major TomMajor Tom Registered User regular
    So I just finished my second playthrough (on Insanity). Holy hell that last battle is hard.

Also, (ending spoilers)
    I hated the ending less this time. I suppose because I knew it was coming, so the shock of it didn't affect me this time around. I still find it horribly underwhelming, but I didn't get the visceral, kicked-in-the-gut feeling I got the first time around. And playing the game again did remind me what a masterpiece it is up until those last two minutes.

I mean, I nearly cried when I played Rannoch the first time because I had to kill all the Quarians and Tali committed suicide -- but I still nearly cried the second time from the conversation Tali and Legion have right before he sacrifices himself to give the Geth true intelligence.

"The answer to that question...was yes."
    "I know Tali. But thank you. Keelah sel'ai."

Fucking onions all up in my face right there.

The ending is amazing, 99% of the way through. The fleets engaging the Reapers, the desperate battle to the conduit, the confrontation with TIM, Shepard and Anderson looking out over Earth -- it's all fantastic. All this lessened the sting for me this time of the final two minutes.

dporowski wrote: »

Ending:

red
    It's ok! You can still pick sythesis!

I'm probably going to pick destroy on my next run through. Also picked control the first time because I chose the Geth over Quarians. What happened to Tali upset me so badly that I couldn't play for the rest of the day so I'm not going to do that again. I blame Gerrel, he was a tool.

LFMGb.jpg

If I have a 7 course meal of the finest food in the world and the dessert is shit cake it doesn't retroactively make all that wonderful food terrible unless I choose to look at it that way.

But the meal, as a whole, would be ruined. If I'd learn the cake I just ate had shit in it, I wouldn't care how wonderful the previous courses were. I'd be pissed and nauseated and I wouldn't be too happy about the people who served it to me.
    Obviously there is a limit to an individuals control over their feelings, but if you honestly think that you don't' control your feelings and you are a slave to your reaction then you need to take some time and work out some skills with how to effectively interact with others and the world where you are in control of yourself and you're not just blowing in the wind reacting to what everyone else is doing to you. That's pretty damn weak.

And as often as I fall for trolls, they're right. My reaction is my decision. They can be massive dicks and push buttons and know it but me choosing to respond is on me. I can get up and walk away and leave it. But if I don't it is my fault. The initial anger? The initial reaction? Yeah, that's more on them then me. Anger is instinct. But after that, you either control your own situation or it controls you.

I think you're confusing feeling with reaction. You can't control feelings, you can only control how you act on those feelings. Walking away from a situation where someone is abusing you is reaction. The feeling of hate is an emotion. You can argue the reaction to the endings by spamming Gamerankings is a choice, but you can't argue that someone can't hate something.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg

Ending:

red

I'm probably going to pick destroy on my next run through. Also picked control the first time because I chose the Geth over Quarians. What happened to Tali upset me so badly that I couldn't play for the rest of the day so I'm not going to do that again. I blame Gerrel, he was a tool.
    You can't compromise with a Reaper. You can't control a Reaper. Don't care if a little magic space kid said it's totally different this time. I'm convinced that even if BW doesn't release a proper ending/go with the indoctrination hypothesis, that either of those endings would be failure, as we've seen how well anything but "apply bullets" works with Reapers over three games now, and I ain't going out like that.

Yeah, I should be able to get both the Geth and Tali on any playthrough, so I will be. But if I had to pick, I'd go "Tali not jumping off a cliff" any damn time. Because "emergency. induction. port."

Also, the Normandy gets equally trashed in all endings. That part's the same regardless, just depends who gets out. I just hadn't thought of the whole "EDI's components just took a planet to the face" angle of things is all.

Such a good bloody game. Why'd they have to go all magic invisible kid?

edited March 2012

Ending:

red

You can't compromise with a Reaper. You can't control a Reaper. Don't care if a little magic space kid said it's totally different this time. I'm convinced that even if BW doesn't release a proper ending/go with the indoctrination hypothesis, that either of those endings would be failure, as we've seen how well anything but "apply bullets" works with Reapers over three games now, and I ain't going out like that.

Yeah, I should be able to get both the Geth and Tali on any playthrough, so I will be. But if I had to pick, I'd go "Tali not jumping off a cliff" any damn time. Because "emergency. induction. port."

Also, the Normandy gets equally trashed in all endings. That part's the same regardless, just depends who gets out. I just hadn't thought of the whole "EDI's components just took a planet to the face" angle of things is all.

Ehh, I was assuming that since in the Synthesis ending that Edi becomes more organic and wouldn't have to rely on the Normandy to survive. Unless her parts on the Normandy also became organic, but then that'd be kind of gross. And sad.

Yeah, I think it's the worst ending in a variety of ways.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Guys I don't think trying to argue one of the basic principles of psychology is going to take this thread anywhere good (not that it's even anywhere good now).

Are you the magic man?
    Frei wrote: »
    Guys I don't think trying to argue one of the basic principles of psychology is going to take this thread anywhere good (not that it's even anywhere good now).

Just trying to argue people should at least try to respect and leave these people alone. Telling people they're being stupid for feeling something is not going to make them feel it any less. It's just going to make them feel even worse.

ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Just finished Priority: Palaven on my second playthrough
    It's kind of interesting how best of bros, Garrus, tries to warn you (as in, you the player) that you're not going to get the nice, clean, perfect ending you were expecting. He comments on how "Humans always want to save everyone." but that the fight is going to be bloody and with a lot of sacrifice.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Ending:

red

Ehh, I was assuming that since in the Synthesis ending that Edi becomes more organic and wouldn't have to rely on the Normandy to survive. Unless her parts on the Normandy also became organic, but then that'd be kind of gross. And sad.

Yeah, I think it's the worst ending in a variety of ways.
    See, I'm dead sure it's tied with Control for awful. I mean we've spent three games insisting that Reapers can't be controlled, compromised with, or anything, and now... Magic? Unless Control was followed by a number of squid-shaped explosions, I'm not having it. Yes, there's a theme of "history might not repeat" and "everyone deserves redemption", but the Reapers really are the Lovecraftian incomprehensible horror, and reason and logic and concepts of mercy and forgiveness just don't apply, because when you try, they control your brains. Bullets apply. Lots of bullets. And lasers.

I liked it much better when they had no motivation, just "death". I dig an incomprehensible dark force from the beyond.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ, what the hell? Rannoch spoilers:
    Why the fuck was approving of Gerrel's decision the paragon choice? He's a warmongering reckless asshole that nearly got his entire race wiped out, I shouldn't be penalised for throwing him out the airlock, let alone giving him a good kidney punch.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Just finished Priority: Palaven on my second playthrough
    It's kind of interesting how best of bros, Garrus, tries to warn you (as in, you the player) that you're not going to get the nice, clean, perfect ending you were expecting. He comments on how "Humans always want to save everyone." but that the fight is going to be bloody and with a lot of sacrifice.

It already was going to end like that
    even if Shepard lives and kills all the reapers with none of the space magic bullshit

Heisenberg on
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    re: macguffin

I was wondering how it would work through the game and i came to the conclusion that it was some kind of space bomb that could be targeted to certain profiles as it were. Such as fine tuning it so that it would send some kind of energy or explosive through the mass relay system/citadel to destroy the reapers.

Also multiplayer, I'm just running bronze right now as a vanguard and i'm getting 3-6k more than the other players. Is this right? AND regarding the multiplayer spreadsheet. What does the platform id represent?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    ...Nothing ever comes out on Android...I swear.

Apple is winning this cycle. Reapers please come early.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    re: macguffin

I was wondering how it would work through the game and i came to the conclusion that it was some kind of space bomb that could be targeted to certain profiles as it were. Such as fine tuning it so that it would send some kind of energy or explosive through the mass relay system/citadel to destroy the reapers.

Also multiplayer, I'm just running bronze right now as a vanguard and i'm getting 3-6k more than the other players. Is this right? AND regarding the multiplayer spreadsheet. What does the platform id represent?
    This is normal. I can't always do very well on my soldier classes because soldiers are inherently dependent on their gear to exceed, where as vanguards are simply CHARGE NOVA SHOCKWAVE NOVA MELEE WIN GAME. Their multi-player portion wasn't really all that well thought out.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, what the hell? Rannoch spoilers:
    Why the fuck was approving of Gerrel's decision the paragon choice? He's a warmongering reckless asshole that nearly got his entire race wiped out, I shouldn't be penalised for throwing him out the airlock, let alone giving him a good kidney punch.

wait, which one? My interactions with him were basically
    1) punching him

2) telling him to shut the fuck up about blowing geth ships up

3) telling him to stop chasing them at the end cause he was about to get blowed up

further rannoch stuff
    legion noooooo

although, how can a geth even commit suicide? isn't he just like, distributed through the network now or something rather than being in one platform?

also the targeting down the reaper part was really dumb. I died like six times mastering the combination of strafe/roll necessary to avoid it's stupid beam will maintaining the lock

talking to the dead reaper was another dumb cocktease, too. if the game ends without an explanation of why 'the cycle must continue,' I swear I'ma fly down to bioware austin and go all harbinger on them

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    When a star system is flashing it means there is quest stuff to be done right? I'm sitting on the Citadel. Talked to everyone possible. Checked every inch of it twice now. Nothing to do. No artifacts to deliver. No items to purchase. No dialogue tree I haven't seen already. Nothing. It's still fucking flashing though. The only other flashing nod is
    Perseus Veil.

Goddamnit.

• Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I just beat the game.... I... who.... wha.... how.... it.... buh?!

I am SO confused!
    How does Bioware make 2 games showing how organic life and synthetic life can peacefully coexist... and then turn around and say "organic life and synthetic life cannot peacefully coexist!! Now pick control, destroy, or become one with them!!"

That makes no logical sense. The ending is so full of plotholes I don't know where to begin. I don't hate it... I'm just confused.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    your confusion will lead to frustration, your frustration leading to anger, your anger leading to hate

and hate...

leads to dlc

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    How are people failing to
    broker peace between the Quarians and Geth? I see an alarming amount of "Tali killed herself/killed legion" in this thread. Did people not have enough conversation points or something or what? The "best" dialogue path was pretty obvious to me

t5qfc9.jpg
    I am going to restart my current Renegade Shepard playthrough with this DISASTER! savegame:

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/show_saves.php?g=Male&a=Renegade&r=None

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man, I really wanna know what happens if you let morinth replace samara now

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    man, I really wanna know what happens if you let morinth replace samara now
    You get an email from her and then find her as a Banshee in the Monastery.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    When a star system is flashing it means there is quest stuff to be done right? I'm sitting on the Citadel. Talked to everyone possible. Checked every inch of it twice now. Nothing to do. No artifacts to deliver. No items to purchase. No dialogue tree I haven't seen already. Nothing. It's still fucking flashing though. The only other flashing nod is
    Perseus Veil.

Goddamnit.
    It seems like that bugs out sometimes. I had a system that flashed for most of the game. If I went to it, one of the planets had a tag on it with its name, as if it had a quest. It didn't actually have a quest title under the name, though, and I couldn't interact with the planet in any way.

Ending:

red

It wasn't really a magic invisible kid. It was a VI that used Shepards memory to manifest itself. Most likely it was a remnant of whatever civilization created the reapers since it refers to the reapers as their "solution" and refers to itself as "we". I didn't mind that part at all. What I did mind is that we didn't get to talk to it enough and just had to accept the 3 choices at face value. I mean, in the span of like 5minutes we learn the intentions of the Reapers and learn that we only get 3 choices and they all are related to some synthetic/organic balance in the galaxy. It came way out of left field for me. I just wanted to destroy the reapers and die heroically, not have to choose between the Geth/EDI and everyone else etc

t5qfc9.jpg
    further rannoch stuff
    legion noooooo

although, how can a geth even commit suicide? isn't he just like, distributed through the network now or something rather than being in one platform?
    My take on Legion was that he had been improved via Reaper code, thus he was a true sentient being capable of intelligence and self awareness without having to build consensus among the 12,000 geth programs that comprised his consciousness. But those programs were still what comprised him.

He didn't have enough Reaper code to spread this improvement to all other Geth.... so he dissolved his own consciousness to spread his programming (the reaper improvements) to all other Geth, this divided all his programs up and distributed them to all Geth, but destroying his own consciousness in the process.

I guess an analogy would be like, one rich guy who wants to make the entire world richer, so he gives everyone in the world money, which destroys his fortune in the process.

further rannoch stuff
    legion noooooo

My take on Legion was that he had been improved via Reaper code, thus he was a true sentient being capable of intelligence and self awareness without having to build consensus among the 12,000 geth programs that comprised his consciousness. But those programs were still what comprised him.

He didn't have enough Reaper code to spread this improvement to all other Geth.... so he dissolved his own consciousness to spread his programming (the reaper improvements) to all other Geth, this divided all his programs up and distributed them to all Geth, but destroying his own consciousness in the process.

I guess an analogy would be like, one rich guy who wants to make the entire world richer, so he gives everyone in the world money, which destroys his fortune in the process.

I think they just had to decompile him to get his gift

t5qfc9.jpg
    Zzulu wrote: »
    further rannoch stuff
    legion noooooo

I think they just had to decompile him to get his gift

ahh yeah, that makes more sense but....
    I can't help but apply realistic computing methods to it. Why didn't they just make a copy of his program or something? I mean, the plotpoint was great, it was an awesome scene.... but thinking about Legion having to die doesn't really make sense.

This discussion has been closed.