As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what happens if (mid-game big plot Citadel spoilers)
    You don't renegade interrupt shoot Udina? Does he get arrested? Bailey, after I did that, mentioned something like how he wished Udina was still alive so he could interrogate him.

I was actually starting to like Udina. He seemed to be a desperate politician in 3, out of hope watching his people die. I thought they painted him in a very sympathetic light, and then all of a sudden he's trying to overthrow the Council. I mean, I can see his motivations, to save humanity, but it definitely felt good to shoot him myself.
    Ashley shoots him instead of you.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what happens if (mid-game big plot Citadel spoilers)
    You don't renegade interrupt shoot Udina? Does he get arrested? Bailey, after I did that, mentioned something like how he wished Udina was still alive so he could interrogate him.

I was actually starting to like Udina. He seemed to be a desperate politician in 3, out of hope watching his people die. I thought they painted him in a very sympathetic light, and then all of a sudden he's trying to overthrow the Council. I mean, I can see his motivations, to save humanity, but it definitely felt good to shoot him myself.
    Kaiden shoots him (I imagine Ashley would do the same).

There's then some dialogue later on where he talks about it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I assume that y'all caught the near-end game dialogue with EDI ?
    Shepard: So, EDI, do you have any big problems ?

EDI: No.

Shepard: Any small problems ?

Shepard: Any issues with a somewhat sinister creator who could be viewed as a damaged father figure ?

EDI: No. Shepard, is there a reason for these inquiries ?

Shepard: I've learned that we need to find these things out before going into battle, that's all.

haha, how did I miss that?!

The first thing I did after every mission was talk to Joker. If he said something other than "Commander.", I spoke to every goddamn person on the ship.

I highly recommend it.

That's what I did. That's what I do. Unless I forgot to one time. :(

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Vanguard is the popular opinion for the class to go with if I want to re-play the entire trilogy again, right? I've only ever played a soldier through all 3 games, haven't touched any other class even once.

Heisenberg on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    So I just had a weird experience playing this game...it hard crashed. Reset my console (xbox) and upon restart it says it has been a while since I have logged on to this console, I'm thinking that's a little weird.

Start up a multi game and I get 3 achievements, I check the see what I unlocked and its recruit, soldier and something else which are overall kill count. Look at my total GS and it is reset to zero.

I'm curious if MS if having problems though I can't get on there website

Same for me. Reset back to 0.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Vanguard is the popular opinion for the class to go with if I want to re-play the entire trilogy again, right? I've only ever played a soldier through all 3 games, haven't touched any other class even once.

Vanguard is the king of classes.

Adept in ME1 is pretty damn fun too, though the early game is a tad slow. Once you start getting some boosts though, you can throw all your powers at once ever few seconds.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Infiltrator is pretty boss. Vanguard is good, godly even, in ME2 but I feel like something's off with that class in 3. I don't know about the other two games, but I'm doing a playthrough as an Engineer in ME3 and its badass.

Such an offensive powerhouse. Combat Drone, Turret(That you can chuck wayyyy across the map, and behind enemies, effectively boxing them in), Cryoblast, Overload and Sabotage. My enemies tremble in fear.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mastrius wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »
    So I just had a weird experience playing this game...it hard crashed. Reset my console (xbox) and upon restart it says it has been a while since I have logged on to this console, I'm thinking that's a little weird.

Start up a multi game and I get 3 achievements, I check the see what I unlocked and its recruit, soldier and something else which are overall kill count. Look at my total GS and it is reset to zero.

I'm curious if MS if having problems though I can't get on there website

Same for me. Reset back to 0.

They know of the problem, they're trying to fix it says the support page. Hopefully we get it back painlessly

Dixon on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    welp, got a message when I started up the game this morning that I had been playing on another console, and the game had to sync to those saves. I immediately freak out.

I start playing the game, where all my saves are intact....an achievement pops up while I'm modifying weapons. I look and....all my achievements are wiped.

welp

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I hear Vanguard is the most powerful (in ME3 anyway) and makes everything pretty easy even on highest difficulty, so go with it if you feel like steamrolling things I guess

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    Sentinel played like a Vanguard in ME2 is fun.

You can even scream "I...AM...KROGANNNN!!!!" as you charge into battle.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Ending fan theory:
    How is "all of it was just an indoctrination hallucination" any better than "it was all just a dream"?

People must really hate the current set of endings if the end to that shitty season of Dallas is the best thing we've got.

Also, asking/demanding DLC to fix something you didn't like is dumb. Gamer entitlement is astounding sometimes.

Good thing you got all bent out of shape about something you jumped to conclusions about and decided to be angry over.

Sure, I'm sure there's a few people demanding DLC to "fix" the ending but at least in the massive thread in the bioware forums that discuss the theory you're referring to
    it isn't an entitlement thing at all. It's people putting together the pieces of an ending that doesn't make sense within the context of the game. And it doesn't make sense and there are a lot of obvious things that stand out that don't fit. It's people purely hoping that it's an indoctrination attempt by Harbinger and how you choose to act will determine whether the indoctrination fails or works. And there's hope that there is something Bioware has up its sleeve regarding what follows; and they've hinted that there's something we don't know yet. In fact they explicitly said there's things we don't know yet.

So people are coming up with things they hope to see or hope happen(ed). Speculation isn't unique to this situation or this game, and there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe they're wrong, maybe they're right. It's no skin off your back so why do you give a shit?

But hey, go ahead and demonize everyone. Self-righteousness is awesome mate! Keep on keeping on!

EDIT:
    In fact there's things on the fucking disc that hint at a different ending. Dialogue from Joker during a battle between the Normandy and Harbinger. That alone leads to various ideas about the reality of the ending and might explain why your presumably dead squadmates are on the Normandy at the end. Does it for sure mean something? Obviously not. But its got people curious and coming up with ideas.

Wait, who's being self-righteous exactly? Your sarcasm and thinly-veiled vitriol are pretty out of line for a throwaway post by me.

But anyway, it isn't self righteousness. I'm honestly astounded. Especially after all these people were railing at Bioware for day one DLC, now people are willing to encourage them to make crap endings so EA can get some more money? It's crazy. We even found out that, unlike what Bioware told us, the DLC is actually embedded on the disc and we had to pay them extra money to unlock it. Yet no one's angry about that. No no no no, the ending was so bad, let's encourage the industry to continue this kind of behavior! What a great idea.

I don't know why you are so hurt about my comment, it was not directed at anyone in particular. (Well ok, I did have some particular reddit posts in mind when I wrote it.) Certainly not everyone, but based on the posts I read last night (again mostly on reddit) there is a big chunk of that group saying "this is my series and it didn't end the way I wanted it to, so Bioware should fix it." People are willing to throw out every experience with the entire series because of the last ten minutes of the game. That's the definition of entitlement, and this really isn't the first game where it's reared its ugly head in the gamer community. It's ridiculous.

But that doesn't mean I don't recognize problems with the ending.
    It's not even the three choices or space child ghost god that really get me, although I think they're pretty stupid. It's the complete lack of consistent resolution based on the choices I made throughout the game. Did my squadmates Garrus and Liara die on the final charge to the beam? But wait, Liara just stepped out of the Normandy as Joker and gang were flying away. That makes no sense. How did she get there? And what is the Normandy doing anyway? Other stuff, obviously.

But they fan theories aren't any better as far as I can tell. Specifically, the indoctrination one. Shepard is the only one who never seems to suffer from indoctrination problems. There's no hints at it, nothing. To turn around and say, "haha fooled you!" is like a big slap in the face. It wouldn't be anything like Bioshock, which laid a lot of groundwork for that confrontation with Andrew Ryan. Instead it would be a pretty naked and deceitful mea culpa to fix an ending they knew was bad in the first place.

If you've played Deus Ex: Human Resolution, it is quite literally the same problem: make a choice for an ending that ignores all your prior deeds. It's pretty bad. But at least DX had the excuse that it was a prequel and it was pigeonholed into a particular future event.

Maybe it was rushed, I dunno. What it is, is bad writing, something to which Bioware is not immune (and as far as I'm concerned have done before). But I would never dream of demanding some kind of fix. I've already paid them $70 of my precious money, and while I think it was worth it, and despite not liking the ending, it was worth my money. This literally seems to be an issue of "99% of this game is really good. 1% of it is not." I don't see the reason to throw out the baby with the bathwater because of it, nor do I see the reason to encourage Bioware and EA to fix their mistakes with paid DLC.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The DLC was on the disc? I had to download 600MB for the DLC.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    so I finished the game... and Im all over the place with my thoughts, but I'd appreciate peoples' input or what not.
    Im not sure how I feel.

I cured the krogans and felt elation and saddness in equal measure. I saved Wrex's people! ... ... and Mordin is dead.

The quarians and the geth had their war, for which Im irksome about, but I cleaned up after them and got to roll with Legion for a little while. Then legion became a true AI along with the rest of the geth. I had my reservations with the reaper tech involved, but those crafty little VI's knew what they were doing. and later on, with EDI, I find she also has some reaper tech in her and she is working fine. Influenced by good people, they acted in altruistic fashions. It sucked that Legion was no more, but I was ok with it because he wasnt really gone, just merged with the geth consensus to create the AI's.

Im just unimpressed with Kai Leng. The guy was a douche and Im furious he killed Thane, but that only made Thane that much more awesome. A terminally-ill patient that could barely feel his extremities and, at times, blacked out because he was slowly suffocating from his disease, kept a cyber-ninja from his target. Let's take a moment and assume Kai was competent. Yea, Thane was a Boss.

Im aware that this is the end and we cant save everyone, I've accepted that, and it still hurt a little even with all the nameless NPC's I sacrificed for the greater good only when I thought it was absolutely neccessary. I know its a game, but I cant help shake that some good friends passed.

tl;dr I talk about my choices and feelings. I've grown attached to fictional characters.

I've made so many difficult decisions, but I managed to assemble the largest combined arms force in known galactic history (There may have been others, but those were wiped cycles ago.) I've made it to Earth and I've bloodied the Reapers hard and finally made it to the beam... and it gets weird.

But lets just say that I managed to speak with this god-child... While I have been presented with these choices. Myself personally, I reject them all. The personal and galactic cost of a win like this is too high for me. I find myself at the precipice, practically looking god in the face and all I can think of is, "This is bullshit. Fuck your three choices, star-child. I will not die. I will not sacrifice the mass relays. I will find another way, even if it means turning this damn space orb/needle into a deathstar and just *shooting* the reapers dead!" and I grew cold because I knew I would be willing to sacrifice billions for what I considered a true victory... how can Liara stand to look at me?

I've since read about the indoctrination/hallucination theory and its makes the most sense, and it's how Im rationalizing the endings at the moment. Is it wrong to think that Bioware is rickrolling us in a form of high art? and that they are going to release or unlock something on the discs/dlc?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's not an
    indoctrination attempt...This isn't the most subtle game ever made, it's a game made to sell to a wide range of people and there are no good hints in it that help people understand that you are in any way indoctrinated. If, and this is a huuuge "if", they release a DLC with an alternate ending in it, it's going to be a response to the fans - not something they planned. There isn't even a small chance such a big mainstream title would take such a huge risk in the first place

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

The recruitment mission was downloaded.

The assets for the squadmember, as well as the squadmember himself, was already on the disc.

You can change one variable in the game files and have him run around with you, as though recruited, without having to download the recruitment mission.

• RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well got into a pub silver with everyone under lvl 10, cleared it easily. Leader changed it to Gold next round and we made it to wave 8. Salarian/quarian infils with human engineers vs Geth seems alittle OP.

I need people to multi with, please add Rakeeth on Origin.

Rakeeth on
  • the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    so... I pop a boner the DVD, fire up Origin*, install the game, download promo DLCs.
    I launch ME3. I am... pleased.
    On the game menu, after New Game and such, there's "Downloadable Content", I check it out. Opens an Origin window that peddles the infamous Day 1 DLC with the bonus companion. Yeah, that one. I click on it, wondering casually how much it may cost.
    It's 800 Bioware points.
    And Origin states that I have a leftover balance or exactly 800 points just waiting to be spent on something.
    "Buy Now"?

I kept very cool about it. I was civil, even.
    The left button on my mouse is cracked, tho.

*Eeeewww

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Sent in ME1 was just 'power wheel of doom' once you'd leveled up a bit. Loved having all those options.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Supposedly the character is, but the recruitment mission (and some of the character's dialogue) isn't.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    jesus christ, 670 negative fan reviews on metacritic and over 200 on the amazon page. that's pretty crazy.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Sent in ME1 was just 'power wheel of doom' once you'd leveled up a bit. Loved having all those options.

Aren't all of the classes that in ME1 once you get past the Matriarch ?

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

According to this Forbes article, it is. (Some mild ending spoilers, so don't click that if you don't want to know.)

But there's also a video on how to bypass the process here. The dramatic music is stupid, but it makes its point pretty well. Or maybe the guy's full of shit? I don't really know.

Edit: and I'll just leave it at that since we have a no DLC discussion thread rule.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Man, it is ridiculously easy to raise the Galactic Readiness Level in MP. My Infiltrator isn't even lv.19, and everything is already at 99%.

sig.gif
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Infiltrator is pretty boss. Vanguard is good, godly even, in ME2 but I feel like something's off with that class in 3. I don't know about the other two games, but I'm doing a playthrough as an Engineer in ME3 and its badass.

Such an offensive powerhouse. Combat Drone, Turret(That you can chuck wayyyy across the map, and behind enemies, effectively boxing them in), Cryoblast, Overload and Sabotage. My enemies tremble in fear.

Vanguard might be the flashiest class, but the Engineer holds real ultimate power.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Nitpicks...
    I missed some of the interactive bits on the Normandy, like closing the shutters. I especially missed being able to fix yourself a drink in the lounge- I was basically playing ME2 Shepherd like a budding alcoholic to deal with the stress, and I wanted to keep that up.

How great would a scene of Shepherd drunk in his cabin trash talking the Sovereign model have been? So great.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    jesus christ, 670 negative fan reviews on metacritic and over 200 on the amazon page. that's pretty crazy.

Didn't expect aything less really.

A lot will be trolls and a lot more will be "I have not played the game but am outraged by things I have seen on reddit."

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Ahh, that sad moment when my journal is completely empty of missions except the last Priority mission that begins the ending series of missions. Almost out of Mass Effect :(

On the plus side, even though my readiness has decayed down to 80% by not playing multiplayer the last few days (still don't like that it does that on a day-by-day basis), I'm over 5000 Effective Military strength, so I think I get the really small bonus scene you get for having over 5000. Guess I'll find out soon.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    Man... I missed so many guns in SP. That's disappointing.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Orca wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I assume that y'all caught the near-end game dialogue with EDI ?
    Shepard: So, EDI, do you have any big problems ?

Shepard: Any small problems ?

Shepard: Any issues with a somewhat sinister creator who could be viewed as a damaged father figure ?

EDI: No. Shepard, is there a reason for these inquiries ?

Shepard: I've learned that we need to find these things out before going into battle, that's all.

haha, how did I miss that?!

The first thing I did after every mission was talk to Joker. If he said something other than "Commander.", I spoke to every goddamn person on the ship.

I highly recommend it.

Yeah, I spend almost as much time doing laps on the ship talking to everyone as I do actually doing missions.

Is Origin unable to load anyone else's friends lists? I was going to MP with a buddy today, but I don't even know if he's on!

Edit: Oh barf new smilies, get out of my post.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    Ahh, that sad moment when my journal is completely empty of missions except the last Priority mission that begins the ending series of missions. Almost out of Mass Effect :(

On the plus side, even though my readiness has decayed down to 80% by not playing multiplayer the last few days (still don't like that it does that on a day-by-day basis), I'm over 5000 Effective Military strength, so I think I get the really small bonus scene you get for having over 5000. Guess I'll find out soon.

I hear you. I took a long moment to think back before I pressed Enter, sorry that I was coming down to the end of such a great series. The Mass Effect universe is a cash camel for Bioware, so I'm sure we will see more games placed in it, perhaps even a MMO. But Shepard's saga is over.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I heard EA is having some system issues this morning. That may be part of it.

Bless your heart.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The game has a TON of awesome and funny dialogue.
    I pity everyone who missed it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    I hope they don't do an MMO. My life is just not constructed in a way to be able to play them, and I seriously doubt it's ever going to become so.

I'll take new stories from new characters though.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't know how you transition ME to an MMO and not lose everything that makes ME great.

If SWTOR had renegade interrupts during dialogue, I'd have stuck with it longer (and still burned out because it's an mmo and that's what happens with mmos)

edit- also, ME MMO means there are probably Batarians to kill somewhere. I consider that a plus.

Bobble on
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    there's a mcdonalds commercial making the rounds on my local radio stations right now that features the one and only brandon keener

listening to garrus froth at the mouth over filet o fish sandwiches every fifteen minutes or so is disorienting

The game has a TON of awesome and funny dialogue.
    I pity everyone who missed it.

My favorite parts (various spoilers)
    Joker and Garrus trading military jokes.

Joker: "Now all we need is a gun that shoots Thresher Maws!"

Joker: "Commander, that may have been the first time that anyone has ended a war by yelling."

Shepard: "How are you getting drunk?"
    Tali: "Very carefully. Triple filtered Turian [whatever] through this emergency induction port."
    Shepard "Tali, that's a straw."
    Tali. "Induction Port"

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    The next game needs to take the DA:O route of allowing you to pick your race and class, with different opening missions available depending on those choices.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    there's a mcdonalds commercial making the rounds on my local radio stations right now that features the one and only brandon keener

listening to garrus froth at the mouth over filet o fish sandwiches every fifteen minutes or so is disorienting

I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is my favorite filet o' fish sandwich in the Citadel!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited March 2012

Martin Sheen did an insurance radio commercial right after Mass Effect 2 came out, which made me instinctively mistrust the insurance provider.

Edit: That was weird, a draft of my last post merged with this post.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
This discussion has been closed.