As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] So you have some minis? and you want to Play? AWESOME

• Sam ButlerSam Butler Minis coordinator Pax East, Minis Dept manager, Hobby Dept manager Pax Unplugged BostonRegistered User regular
    Slots Remaining
    Warhammer fantasy (13/14)
    Warmachine (8/16)
    Warhammer 40k (11/16)

• GunstarheroesGunstarheroes Registered User regular
    No idea if this would be the right place or if there are even really players down there, but i a big Heroclix player, and i'd love to run something (i'm a judge back in my city). We have left over stuff from previous sets for prize kits if people wanted to get a tournament together and have interest. I'd just be happy to find some players to play down at PAX.

• Sam ButlerSam Butler Minis coordinator Pax East, Minis Dept manager, Hobby Dept manager Pax Unplugged BostonRegistered User regular

That's a definite possibility. What size tables/type of terrain/space/people would you need to do that? It's a little short notice to add now, but I can try and wrangle something (as long as I have the info before 5pm tomorrow)

That said
    Slots Remaining for current tournaments.
    Warmachine (8/16)
    Warhammer 40k (10/16)

• mcslantymcslanty Registered User regular
    i see there are still slots available for the 40k tourny. I would love to jump on that if I can. thanks for organizing this!

• inkybrushesinkybrushes Registered User regular
    I'm not much for GW stuff, but I'll be bringing my Infinity, Malifaux, Hell Dorado, and Warmahordes for pickup games if anyone is interested. Yay skirmish games!

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (8/16)
    Warhammer 40k (10/16)

mcslanty wrote:
    i see there are still slots available for the 40k tourny. I would love to jump on that if I can. thanks for organizing this!
    That would be great. If you could toss an Email to the Registration link, or PM me with your name/info I'll reg you up.
    I'm not much for GW stuff, but I'll be bringing my Infinity, Malifaux, Hell Dorado, and Warmahordes for pickup games if anyone is interested. Yay skirmish games!

AWESOME the "40k" type tables will be available Fri, and Sunday for Demos and Free play.

• vtzychvtzych Registered User new member
    Are there any special rules for Steamroller like char restrictions or is it just the standard 2012 rules?

• DezDez Registered User new member
    Hello,

I was just curious why the Fantasy tournament was much lower in points, is it because it starts later in the day? What time does it start? Normally Fantasy tournaments are around 2500 points, which is why I'm assuming it's a fast evening tournament.

Thanks!

Dez wrote:
    Hello,

I was just curious why the Fantasy tournament was much lower in points, is it because it starts later in the day? What time does it start? Normally Fantasy tournaments are around 2500 points, which is why I'm assuming it's a fast evening tournament.

Thanks!

1000 points is an easy amount to assemble/transport and avoids alot of shennannigans. The tournament is slated to begin at 11am. The low points scale should lead to fast games, allowing folks to go and see more of PaxEast than just the tournament space.

vtzych wrote:
    Are there any special rules for Steamroller like char restrictions or is it just the standard 2012 rules?

Standard 2012 rules I believe.

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (7/16)
    Warhammer 40k (10/16)

• vtzychvtzych Registered User new member
    My brother and I will be up for freeplay for Warmahordes on Sat/Sun. I am bringing a couple different lists of Cryx and my bro is a Khadour guy. Our first PAX. Very excited.

vtzych wrote:
    My brother and I will be up for freeplay for Warmahordes on Sat/Sun. I am bringing a couple different lists of Cryx and my bro is a Khadour guy. Our first PAX. Very excited.

Awesome. I look forward to meeting you guys.

• karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I assume 40k is Sunday? Anyways, sent my reg in.

I'll also freeplay after EXPO is closed or maybe I will demo some 40k if I [E] tabletop this year again.

Q: do standard FoC limits apply?

Q: are army rules taken into account when calculating comp score?

Q: are wargear bonuses taken into account when calculating armor facing for the purposes of comp score?

edited February 2012
    I assume 40k is Sunday? Anyways, sent my reg in.

the 40k Tournament is Sat...

I'll also freeplay after EXPO is closed or maybe I will demo some 40k if I [E] tabletop this year again.

Cool.

Q: do standard FoC limits apply?
    Yes
    How do you mean?
    Q: are wargear bonuses taken into account when calculating armor facing for the purposes of comp score?
    no ( I assume you are referring to the necron +2 armor til bang...)

Sam Butler on
    Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (7/16)
    Warhammer 40k (9/16)

edited February 2012
    Sam Butler wrote:
    How do you mean?

Dark Angels terminator troops, White Scars bike troops (I can fit 6 full bike squads into 2.5" of foam), GK's have 2 good troops options.

Also if someone really wants to spam vehicles it's not a problem in my mind, but I can see some interesting match ups that will be fun.

All my questions around comp minmax basically involve FoC vs what is that unit really? It sounds like it's all FoC... meaning 6 transports won't give you +30 points and the ministorum priest won't take away 5. And killing that priest won't give secondary objective points eh?

karlthepagan on
    Sam Butler wrote:
    How do you mean?

Dark Angels terminator troops, White Scars bike troops (I can fit 6 full bike squads into 2.5" of foam), GK's have 2 good troops options.

Also if someone really wants to spam vehicles it's not a problem in my mind, but I can see some interesting match ups that will be fun.

All my questions around comp minmax basically involve FoC vs what is that unit really? It sounds like it's all FoC... meaning 6 transports won't give you +30 points and the ministorum priest won't take away 5. And killing that priest won't give secondary objective points eh?

Just so. it's all FoC.

Slots Remaining
    Warhammer fantasy (11/14)
    Warmachine (8/16)
    Warhammer 40k (11/16)

• crazygcrazyg Registered User regular
    just curious, do you know the time for the WH 40k event? Just want to make sure I plan to show up at the right time.

crazyg wrote:
    just curious, do you know the time for the WH 40k event? Just want to make sure I plan to show up at the right time.

I believe 11 oclock (doors at 10)

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (8/16)
    Warhammer 40k (8/16)

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (7/16)
    Warhammer 40k (8/16)

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (6/16)
    Warhammer 40k (8/16)

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (5/16)
    Warhammer 40k (8/16)

edited March 2012
    Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (4/16)
    Warhammer 40k (6/16)

Sam Butler on
    Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (3/16)
    Warhammer 40k (6/16)

Yay Indeed. :D Anything terrain/space wise that would be particularly handy for you?

• crazygcrazyg Registered User regular
    What are you guys playing for the tournament, I gots me some orks orks orks orks...

*break into orks song and dance*

Draigo wing.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Alright, I've got what I'm sure is a stupid question. What if I don't have minis, but am interested in playing? Do folks ever run games to teach newbies?

edited March 2012
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    Alright, I've got what I'm sure is a stupid question. What if I don't have minis, but am interested in playing? Do folks ever run games to teach newbies?

Definitely not a stupid Question. There will be Demos running throughout the weekend. (for at least Warmahordes and 40k)

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (3/16)
    Warhammer 40k (7/16)

Sam Butler on
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Awesome, please let me know if there are specific times for that stuff, or if I should just chat up the guys I see hanging around the area or whatever.

KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    Awesome, please let me know if there are specific times for that stuff, or if I should just chat up the guys I see hanging around the area or whatever.

The answer is Yes. (There will be specific times,) but feel free to chat folks up as well.

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (2/16)
    Warhammer 40k (8/16)

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (2/16)
    Warhammer 40k (7/16)

• mcslantymcslanty Registered User regular
    for the 40k tournament, will it be cool if I use my kindle fire? I usually bring a pdf version of my rule book, and my army lists that I email to myself instead of having to lug around all that stuff. I usually use army builder to set my army list so I just save em onto the fire since it is easier to carry/travel with and quicker to reference. I'll have a print copy of the codex.

edited March 2012
    Ok Race to the bottom just doesn't work as written ;)

but I have a solution: slightly modified VCs

Primary 15pts, Draw 5pts: More hits on target each game turn. For each game turn players record the number of HITS on any target scored by their units from any source that turn (shooting, melee, specials, and ESPECIALLY from exploding). Award 1 point at the end of each full game turn.
    Secondary Win 10pts Draw 5pts: Reverse killpoints. Each of your OWN units destroyed gains you 1 point.
    Tertiary: Win 5Pts: Recycle more units than your opponent.

karlthepagan on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    No way. That mission sounds really imbalanced. It's basically a difference between spam hits and efficient hits.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator

Slots Remaining
    Warmachine (2/16)
    Warhammer 40k (4/16)
    mcslanty wrote: »
    for the 40k tournament, will it be cool if I use my kindle fire? I usually bring a pdf version of my rule book, and my army lists that I email to myself instead of having to lug around all that stuff. I usually use army builder to set my army list so I just save em onto the fire since it is easier to carry/travel with and quicker to reference. I'll have a print copy of the codex.

The Kindle vesion of the list should work fine for the list to carry around to show your opponents, but I'd prefer to have a Hard copy for me to look at.
    Ok Race to the bottom just doesn't work as written ;)

but I have a solution: slightly modified VCs

Primary 15pts, Draw 5pts: More hits on target each game turn. For each game turn players record the number of HITS on any target scored by their units from any source that turn (shooting, melee, specials, and ESPECIALLY from exploding). Award 1 point at the end of each full game turn.
    Secondary Win 10pts Draw 5pts: Reverse killpoints. Each of your OWN units destroyed gains you 1 point.
    Tertiary: Win 5Pts: Recycle more units than your opponent.

Nope. That's too complex, and not remotely balanced at all. The number of "hits" that various armies/lists can generate is Wildly variable. 30 ork boyv vs 10 anything in power armors for example... simply reversing the killpoints game mechanic is much simpler and is far less open to abuse.

Sam Butler wrote: »
    Nope. That's too complex, and not remotely balanced at all. The number of "hits" that various armies/lists can generate is Wildly variable. 30 ork boyv vs 10 anything in power armors for example... simply reversing the killpoints game mechanic is much simpler and is far less open to abuse.

Best I could do so far... it might just not be salvageable even tho it's a funny concept.

Consider the abuses like flying skimmer transports flat out and landing in terrain each turn and getting 2 reversed killpoints thanks to recent FAQs. There's one list that can do this and score max comp.