As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    The game has a TON of awesome and funny dialogue.
    I pity everyone who missed it.

My favorite parts (various spoilers)
    Joker and Garrus trading military jokes.

Joker: "Now all we need is a gun that shoots Thresher Maws!"

Joker: "Commander, that may have been the first time that anyone has ended a war by yelling."

Shepard: "How are you getting drunk?"
    Tali: "Very carefully. Triple filtered Turian [whatever] through this emergency induction port."
    Shepard "Tali, that's a straw."
    Tali. "Induction Port"

Sorry but the best part in the entire game is
    Garrus out-calibrating Legion.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    ME3 on Palaven
    found a spot you can stand at the end where the brutes will charge at you, fly over your head and off a cliff. :D

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    there's a mcdonalds commercial making the rounds on my local radio stations right now that features the one and only brandon keener

listening to garrus froth at the mouth over filet o fish sandwiches every fifteen minutes or so is disorienting

Martin Sheen did an insurance radio commercial right after Mass Effect 2 came out, which made me instinctively mistrust the insurance provider.

Edit: That was weird, a draft of my last post merged with this post.

He did a Midaas radio ad too. Instant distrust of Midaas...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    haahahahhaha

'the next game'

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Salarian Engineers are bad ass. I'm using the Widow, because the Salarian's -30% Sniper Rifle weight lets me get away with it. I liked the Mantis, too, but the Widow has insane penetration. I get collateral multi-kills all the time, and I can blast Guardians right through their shields. Decoy is surprisingly effective. It draws a lot of fire, and has a pretty decent amount of shielding, so I don't have to constantly spam it. The real benefit is Energy Drain, though. I lead basically all of my shots with it, even against unshielded targets, because it shocks them just long enough to line up a solid Widow shot.

Gameplay for me is basically like: Energy Drain -> BOOM!, Energy Drain -> BOOM! Energy Drain -> BOOM!

I seriously cannot wait for my Salarian Infiltrator. It'll be better in essentially every way. It is the class I've been wanting since I started playing Multiplayer, and it's the only class I don't have.

Also, just played a game where I scored 62,000 points. Next highest guy was about 25,000 , and the lowest scoring guy was 2,900 , lol.

GOML.

• Options
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    haahahahhaha

'the next game'

Halo 4 is happening. Mass Effect 4 is a given.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    haahahahhaha

'the next game'

Not looking forward to Obsidian's mass effect

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    So nobody has any comments on running the game as a soldier this time or the gun weight system? I am disappoint.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    So nobody has any comments on running the game as a soldier this time or the gun weight system? I am disappoint.

I must have missed your question, man. What can I help you with?

• Options
    haahahahhaha

'the next game'

Mass Effect hasn't had its own Mass Effect Wars, Mass Effect: ODST, Mass Effect: Reach or Mass Effect Anniversary Edition yet. It's a long road to Mass Effect 4 from here.

Not to mention Halo 3 had an ending that allowed for a Halo 4 to exist.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Maybe it was rushed, I dunno. What it is, is bad writing, something to which Bioware is not immune (and as far as I'm concerned have done before). But I would never dream of demanding some kind of fix. I've already paid them $70 of my precious money, and while I think it was worth it, and despite not liking the ending, it was worth my money. This literally seems to be an issue of "99% of this game is really good. 1% of it is not." I don't see the reason to throw out the baby with the bathwater because of it, nor do I see the reason to encourage Bioware and EA to fix their mistakes with paid DLC.

Ok you've been banging on about this point for a while, so here's some modern psychology for you: in studies, it turns out that humans require approximately 8 or 9 "good" experiences, to offset the impact of 1 bad experience. Now how we measure and check "good" and "bad" is obviously highly subjective, but the point is rather simple: bad experiences impact people far more heavily, emotionally.

We are not emotional statisticians - nor should we be.

Now, you obviously have some larger metapoint about DLC you want to push, but I suggest you stop doing it by trying to tell people their opinions are wrong, and that they should just consider the numbers of the situation. Humans don't work like that.

And nobody cares that you say your comments aren't directed at anyone in particular: lots of people here didn't like the endings, for many reasons. Generalize at your peril, but don't be surprised when people find your tone condescending.

• Options
    milk ducks wrote: »

I was just saying i thought the class was weak in ME3. The weapon weight system really hurts soldiers a lot. I was running with maxed weapon damage and the Saber and it still took a lot to kill things.

• Options
    Not only that, but an ending is literally the most important part of any narrative. It carries far more emotional importance than any other singular part of the story.

It's badness is hugely enhanced because of this.

• Options
    haahahahhaha

'the next game'

Mass Effect hasn't had its own Mass Effect Wars, Mass Effect: ODST, Mass Effect: Reach or Mass Effect Anniversary Edition yet. It's a long road to Mass Effect 4 from here.

Mass Effect 3 has an ending that would allow "The Sims: Mass Effect" to exist.
    I think that's not going to be a hurdle.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    It's not an
    indoctrination attempt...This isn't the most subtle game ever made, it's a game made to sell to a wide range of people and there are no good hints in it that help people understand that you are in any way indoctrinated. If, and this is a huuuge "if", they release a DLC with an alternate ending in it, it's going to be a response to the fans - not something they planned. There isn't even a small chance such a big mainstream title would take such a huge risk in the first place

To be clear about my *personal* take on that alternate theory (end spoilers)
    I don't think the writers intended for it to be an indoctrination attempt, not at all.

The belief in the indoctrination theory is more for me to be able to better accept an ending which was a bit weak and didn't fit with the series particularly well. Especially since there was no way to argue or renegade interrupt Catalyst, which seems way out of character for Shep.

I used to feel a slavish obedience to the idea that if the artist says "this is what I intend in my story" then it was so. That there couldn't be any 'true' interpretations of a work if they conflicted with what the work's creator says. But at some point in my life, I'm not sure when, I rejected that idea. Maybe it was George Lucas that convinced me that sometimes an artist can fail to understand his own work.

The indoctrination theory works for me. It fits beautifully and cuts through a substantial amount of Catalyst's flawed logic and really inexplicable space magic. So it's the theory I'm going to consider 'canon'.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    The game has a TON of awesome and funny dialogue.
    I pity everyone who missed it.

My favorite parts (various spoilers)
    Joker and Garrus trading military jokes.

Joker: "Now all we need is a gun that shoots Thresher Maws!"

Joker: "Commander, that may have been the first time that anyone has ended a war by yelling."

Shepard: "How are you getting drunk?"
    Tali: "Very carefully. Triple filtered Turian [whatever] through this emergency induction port."
    Shepard "Tali, that's a straw."
    Tali. "Induction Port"

Joker/Garrus telling a couple jokes

Garrus: Alright, I got a few for ya. What's the first order an Alliance Commander gives at the start of combat?
    Joker: Um.. I give up.
    Garrus: Heh, correct.
    Joker: Hah. Ok, what do you call it when a turian gets killed by a horrible spiky monster?
    Garrus: Friendly fire. C'mon that one goes back to Shang Xi.
    Joker: Gotta respect the classics.
    Garrus: How many humans does it take to activate a mass relay?
    Joker: 602. 600 to vote on it, one to ask an asari for technical help and one to request a seat on the council afterwards.
    How do you tell when a turian is out of ammo?
    Garrus: He switches to the stick up his ass as a back up weapon. Why does the Alliance hire pilots with brittle bone disease?
    Joker: Your shitting me? the Turian military has one about me?!
    Garrus: Absolutely heard it from a private back on Palavan.
    Joker: Alright, Why does the Alliance hire pilots with brittle bone disease?
    Garrus: So the marines have someone to beat up during hand to hand drills.
    Joker: Pff. Damn you need to tell James that one.
    Garrus: What's the hardest part about treating a turian who took a rocket to the face?
    Joker: Figuring out which side took the rocket.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    haahahahhaha

'the next game'

Is it wrong that I think that would be a great idea?

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Soldier does get the shaft when dealing with Cooldown reductions. I was running a fully upgraded Revenant and sitting at 153%. Any other gun would drop it down below 60%. Then I found the Geth Pulse Rifle. Fully upgraded leaves you with 200%. You're still not going to want to take anything "big" with it because you'll be waiting for AR to cooldown where as with the GPR you are literally reloading right into another AR.

• Options
    haahahahhaha

'the next game'

But you see Halo 4 is a direct continuation of Halo 3, with many of the same characters.

Mass Effect 4 could not do such a thing because of how Mass Effect 3 ended.

So any Mass Effect 4 is more likely to be a Mass Effect Colon Subtitle, because it is only related tangentially in the same universe and setting.

You'd basically be making a Mass Effect Black Ops, leaning on the brand identity rather than the game content.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Not only that, but an ending is literally the most important part of any narrative.

That's a pretty extreme statement. The narrative is the most important part of the narrative. Every second of it can draw a person in or repel them. People wouldn't care about the ending if they didn't love the game so much.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular

Tips for running as a Soldier:

The carry weight bonus is slightly misleading. Your plan should not be to carry all 5 guns, it should be to limit yourself to 2 guns (MAYBE 3, if you enjoy sniping) and enjoy the extra power recharge bonus.

Spam Concussive Shot. It is excellent in every way, it even has homing so you can shoot it around a corner and knock people out from behind cover. Especially make use of CS when moving between cover, it's like providing your own covering fire.

Incendiary Ammo. Learn it. Love it.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Mass Effect: ODST

More like Mass Effect: STG Files.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Not only that, but an ending is literally the most important part of any narrative.

That's a pretty extreme statement. The narrative is the most important part of the narrative. People wouldn't care about the ending if they didn't love the game so much.

By saying the ending is most important, I'm not saying the rest is unimportant. Don't mix words there.

Also, there's a difference between a conclusion and an ending. Empire Strikes back has a conclusion. Return of the Jedi has an ending.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

That's a pretty extreme statement. The narrative is the most important part of the narrative. Every second of it can draw a person in or repel them. People wouldn't care about the ending if they didn't love the game so much.

Alucard, you need to be on more.

I need competent people to run through Gold with.

• Options
    BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Well, Valiantheart, what are you looking to hear?

Playing through as a soldier right now, I find that I can comfortably carry the Revenant, Viper, and Disciple with only a -24 cooldown penalty. It means I can't spam concussive shot or adrenaline rush, but I'm never lacking in the dakka department. I feel like it also covers all weapon roles pretty well. The Rev preaches loudly and has decent ROF and okay range, the Viper strikes brutally at a distance, and the disciple has some pretty legit up-close ability. If you wanted something with a little more ROF up-close, you could easily take an SMG. If you want to be poppin' domes errywhurr, the carnifex would be a fine substitute for the disciple. Obviously you could carry a lighter AR like the Vindicator or Avenger if you wanted- I've not found any reason to take the Argus or Mattock yet. The Phaeston has some pretty great firepower, and I've always been pro-turian, but I took the Rev because I love listening to him give a hellfire and brimstone sermon to my foes.

When you can hit Adrenaline Rush and hold down the fire button and not empty the clip until after AR is finished? AWESOME feeling.

"And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Options

That's a pretty extreme statement. The narrative is the most important part of the narrative. People wouldn't care about the ending if they didn't love the game so much.

By saying the ending is most important, I'm not saying the rest is unimportant. Don't mix words there.

Also, there's a difference between a conclusion and an ending. Empire Strikes back has a conclusion. Return of the Jedi has an ending.

return of the jedi isn't much of an ending and is generally regarded as the weakest of the original three.

but I digress

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    haahahahhaha

'the next game'

I wouldn't mind a Frostbite powered ME FPS spinoff set on Earth during the Reaper invasion.

I would also accept a Mass Effect 4 that
    takes place 50 to 100 years after ME3, lets you choose which race to be, and Shepard only exists as a legend. You could even import your ME3 save to determine which races still exist

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

maybe

I kinda promoted my infiltrator, so he's back to level 1. just been screwing around with a krogan soldier nowadays

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

You want to go a few rounds?

• Options
    edited March 2012

Tips for running as a Soldier:

The carry weight bonus is slightly misleading. Your plan should not be to carry all 5 guns, it should be to limit yourself to 2 guns (MAYBE 3, if you enjoy sniping) and enjoy the extra power recharge bonus.

Spam Concussive Shot. It is excellent in every way, it even has homing so you can shoot it around a corner and knock people out from behind cover. Especially make use of CS when moving between cover, it's like providing your own covering fire.

Incendiary Ammo. Learn it. Love it.

I usually carried the Mantis and either the Saber or Revenant. I was still facing a pretty negative power recharge rate (12 seconds or so).

I was using AP ammo almost exclusively except using Disruptor on Banshees. Is incendiary better than it?

Valiantheart on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Mass Effect: ODST

More like Mass Effect: STG Files.
    Mass Effect: C-Sec, dealing with the founding of Citadel Security. You play as a salarian, turian, or asari, and become C-Sec's top agent, dealing with cases along the way (a little like LA Noire except with good combat), and capping it off with a station-wide conspiracy or something.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    delete

Valiantheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2012

I was just saying i thought the class was weak in ME3. The weapon weight system really hurts soldiers a lot. I was running with maxed weapon damage and the Saber and it still took a lot to kill things.

I dunno, man. The Vindicator's pretty light, and it packs a serious punch. You can maintain a 200% recharge bonus if you carry a Vindicator, and you can probably get away with also carrying an SMG, provided you've got an Ultra-Light Materials mod. That seems like a pretty decent number of guns to me. Also, aside from Adrenaline Rush and Concussive Shot (which are mutually-exclusive, really, since you can't use Conc Shot while you're in AR), you really don't have many cooldowns to speak of; Frag Grenades don't even trigger the global cooldown. So you can get away with having a pretty low recharge bonus. Soldiers have ammo powers, too, but in my experience, enemies in any given mission tend to have similar resistances, so you only really have to choose and activate your ammo powers at the beginning.

Adrenaline Rush is pretty nice, and Concussive Shot is cool, too. Either way, you can make a pretty strong build. Concussive Shot can be spammed about as fast as any power I've ever seen. You can get it down to like 3.37 seconds before the 200% recharge bonus, and it can be evolved so the blast takes on the property of your ammo power (set people on fire, freeze people, pierce shields or armour, etc). Seems pretty legit to me.

I think Soldier's pretty good, actually.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I was using a black widow, a krogan shotgun (with accuracy upgrades it becomes basically a medium range super-cannon) and a fully upgraded Geth Assault rifle. The Geth rifle is amazing, I had something like 130 bullet clips and it fires so fast that it outdamages most of the other rifles.

I never used any ammo powers other than Incendiary Ammo. It seemed like a great "all around" power and it had a crowd controlling effect as well. Overall I didn't encounter any issues in the game, playing on Hardcore so I think it was a decent class.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    It's just weak that I can't have one of each weapon while spamming CS.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    haahahahhaha

'the next game'

I wouldn't mind a Frostbite powered ME FPS spinoff set on Earth during the Reaper invasion.

I would also accept a Mass Effect 4 that
    takes place 50 to 100 years after ME3, lets you choose which race to be, and Shepard only exists as a legend. You could even import your ME3 save to determine which races still exist

Just yesterday I talked to a friend and mentioned this exact idea.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Oh, we are most definitely getting a fourth, fifth, and sixth Mass Effect game, because Bioware likes money. And EA likes money and EA's investors like money. They will not involve Shepard in any meaningful way, but they will take place in a Mass Effect universe.

• Options

I dunno, man. The Vindicator's pretty light, and it packs a serious punch. You can maintain a 200% recharge bonus if you carry a Vindicator, and you can probably get away with also carrying an SMG, provided you've got an Ultra-Light Materials mod. That seems like a pretty decent number of guns to me. Also, aside from Adrenaline Rush and Concussive Shot (which are mutually-exclusive, really, since you can't use Conc Shot while you're in AR), so you can get away with having a pretty low recharge bonus. Soldiers have ammo powers, too, but in my experience, enemies in any given mission tend to have similar resistances, so you only really have to choose and activate your ammo powers at the beginning.

Adrenaline Rush is pretty nice, and Concussive Shot is cool, too. Either way, you can make a pretty strong build. Concussive Shot can be spammed about as fast as any power I've ever seen. You can get it down to like 3.37 seconds before the 200% recharge bonus, and it can be evolved so the blast takes on the property of your ammo power (set people on fire, freeze people, pierce shields or armour, etc). Seems pretty legit to me.

I think Soldier's pretty good, actually.

Maybe I was playing wrong wanting to carry a sniper rifle and an assault rifle, but so many talents add to headshot damage. It seems soldiers are designed around having both.

• Options

return of the jedi isn't much of an ending and is generally regarded as the weakest of the original three.

but I digress

But it is an ending. Quality aside, it has a specific purpose and needs an entirely different approach from the writers.

Empire introduced new ideas and narrative arcs in its conclusion. The greatest twist in movie history happens in the last ten minutes. But Empire builds to an emotional climax and ends with a coda of hope and anticipation. It is the middle part of a trilogy. It has to be internally balanced as well as externally. Mass Effect 2 did this quite well.

Return of the Jedi is an ending. It needs to conclude narrative arcs, explore the consequences of past events and be internally logical. Return of the Jedi ends on a saccharine note, has some silly moments and plot contrivances, but leaves the viewer satisfied and emotionally fulfilled. That's the purpose of an ending.

If you're going to have an ending, instead of a conclusion, it need to fulfil different needs. Mass Effect 3 has a conclusion. It has the ending of Empire Strikes back, introducing Vader as Luke's father instead of doing what it should have done: having Luke watch Vader burn as the emotional finale to his character arc.

It's not that ME3 has a sad ending. It's that it has a bad ending. An incomplete conclusion that introduces more concepts than it answers. It feels like another midway point, setting up a direct continuation in ME4. But the specific way it ends in-fiction precludes that, because no direct contiguous sequel is possible without huge retcons and contradictions. It fails on two levels.

This discussion has been closed.