As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    The game has a TON of awesome and funny dialogue.
    I pity everyone who missed it.

My favorite parts (various spoilers)
    Joker and Garrus trading military jokes.

Joker: "Now all we need is a gun that shoots Thresher Maws!"

Joker: "Commander, that may have been the first time that anyone has ended a war by yelling."

Shepard: "How are you getting drunk?"
    Tali: "Very carefully. Triple filtered Turian [whatever] through this emergency induction port."
    Shepard "Tali, that's a straw."
    Tali. "Induction Port"

Joker/Garrus telling a couple jokes

Garrus: Alright, I got a few for ya. What's the first order an Alliance Commander gives at the start of combat?
    Joker: Um.. I give up.
    Garrus: Heh, correct.
    Joker: Hah. Ok, what do you call it when a turian gets killed by a horrible spiky monster?
    Garrus: Friendly fire. C'mon that one goes back to Shang Xi.
    Joker: Gotta respect the classics.
    Garrus: How many humans does it take to activate a mass relay?
    Joker: 602. 600 to vote on it, one to ask an asari for technical help and one to request a seat on the council afterwards.
    How do you tell when a turian is out of ammo?
    Garrus: He switches to the stick up his ass as a back up weapon. Why does the Alliance hire pilots with brittle bone disease?
    Joker: Your shitting me? the Turian military has one about me?!
    Garrus: Absolutely heard it from a private back on Palavan.
    Joker: Alright, Why does the Alliance hire pilots with brittle bone disease?
    Garrus: So the marines have someone to beat up during hand to hand drills.
    Joker: Pff. Damn you need to tell James that one.
    Garrus: What's the hardest part about treating a turian who took a rocket to the face?
    Joker: Figuring out which side took the rocket.

That was the most amazing scene.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    The rocket power isn't very good so I don't know why you want to sacrifice weapons to get the recharge times up. You got grenades as a spammable offensive power independent of recharge times instead

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Joker: "Commander, that may have been the first time that anyone has ended a war by yelling."

Tali: "Very carefully. Triple filtered Turian [whatever] through this emergency induction port."
    Tali. "Induction Port"

Joker/Garrus telling a couple jokes

Garrus: Alright, I got a few for ya. What's the first order an Alliance Commander gives at the start of combat?
    Joker: Um.. I give up.
    Garrus: Heh, correct.
    Joker: Hah. Ok, what do you call it when a turian gets killed by a horrible spiky monster?
    Garrus: Friendly fire. C'mon that one goes back to Shang Xi.
    Joker: Gotta respect the classics.
    Garrus: How many humans does it take to activate a mass relay?
    Joker: 602. 600 to vote on it, one to ask an asari for technical help and one to request a seat on the council afterwards.
    How do you tell when a turian is out of ammo?
    Garrus: He switches to the stick up his ass as a back up weapon. Why does the Alliance hire pilots with brittle bone disease?
    Joker: Your shitting me? the Turian military has one about me?!
    Garrus: Absolutely heard it from a private back on Palavan.
    Joker: Alright, Why does the Alliance hire pilots with brittle bone disease?
    Garrus: So the marines have someone to beat up during hand to hand drills.
    Joker: Pff. Damn you need to tell James that one.
    Garrus: What's the hardest part about treating a turian who took a rocket to the face?
    Joker: Figuring out which side took the rocket.

That was the most amazing scene.

I'm sad that I missed this Garrus/Joker exchange...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    So nobody has any comments on running the game as a soldier this time or the gun weight system? I am disappoint.

Tips for running as a Soldier:

The carry weight bonus is slightly misleading. Your plan should not be to carry all 5 guns, it should be to limit yourself to 2 guns (MAYBE 3, if you enjoy sniping) and enjoy the extra power recharge bonus.

Spam Concussive Shot. It is excellent in every way, it even has homing so you can shoot it around a corner and knock people out from behind cover. Especially make use of CS when moving between cover, it's like providing your own covering fire.

Incendiary Ammo. Learn it. Love it.

I usually carried the Mantis and either the Saber or Revenant. I was still facing a pretty negative power recharge rate (12 seconds or so).

I was using AP ammo almost exclusively except using Disruptor on Banshees. Is incendiary better than it?

I dunno, the incendiary panic effect seemed to be really helping me, and I didn't have that much trouble with Brutes (provided I wasn't being unavoidably flanked or some shit), Harvesters, etc. Banshees can go take a flying fuck, of course, but that seems to be a universal experience.

I ran with the Vindicator and a Heavy Pistol for most of the game, after I realized I was never using my sniper rifle. 200% recharge bonus, I could concussive shot again by the time the animation was done, pretty much.

Speaking of which, I keep seeing people talk about the Vindicator III and shit like that, as though the base gun can be upgraded and not just modded. Where did I miss that option?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    As a bit of a writer myself, I can tell you that endings are extremely difficult. I tend to start with the ending and work backwards, and even that doesn't always work. There are few better storytellers than JRR Tolkien yet the ending to LOTR dragged on and on and on. Patrick O'Brian never wrote one, he just died. And so forth. So while I will not fault ME3's writers for having trouble, there was still an obvious solution
    A heroic ending where the music rises and Shepard staggers forward to fall into Tali's/Liara's/Ashley's/Wrex's arms while the troops cheer

which they purposefully ignored.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    So nobody has any comments on running the game as a soldier this time or the gun weight system? I am disappoint.

The carry weight bonus is slightly misleading. Your plan should not be to carry all 5 guns, it should be to limit yourself to 2 guns (MAYBE 3, if you enjoy sniping) and enjoy the extra power recharge bonus.

Spam Concussive Shot. It is excellent in every way, it even has homing so you can shoot it around a corner and knock people out from behind cover. Especially make use of CS when moving between cover, it's like providing your own covering fire.

I usually carried the Mantis and either the Saber or Revenant. I was still facing a pretty negative power recharge rate (12 seconds or so).

I was using AP ammo almost exclusively except using Disruptor on Banshees. Is incendiary better than it?

I dunno, the incendiary panic effect seemed to be really helping me, and I didn't have that much trouble with Brutes (provided I wasn't being unavoidably flanked or some shit), Harvesters, etc. Banshees can go take a flying fuck, of course, but that seems to be a universal experience.

I ran with the Vindicator and a Heavy Pistol for most of the game, after I realized I was never using my sniper rifle. 200% recharge bonus, I could concussive shot again by the time the animation was done, pretty much.

Speaking of which, I keep seeing people talk about the Vindicator III and shit like that, as though the base gun can be upgraded and not just modded. Where did I miss that option?

Down in the shuttle bay you can upgrade weapons.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    milk ducks wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »

I must have missed your question, man. What can I help you with?

I was just saying i thought the class was weak in ME3. The weapon weight system really hurts soldiers a lot. I was running with maxed weapon damage and the Saber and it still took a lot to kill things.

I dunno, man. The Vindicator's pretty light, and it packs a serious punch. You can maintain a 200% recharge bonus if you carry a Vindicator, and you can probably get away with also carrying an SMG, provided you've got an Ultra-Light Materials mod. That seems like a pretty decent number of guns to me. Also, aside from Adrenaline Rush and Concussive Shot (which are mutually-exclusive, really, since you can't use Conc Shot while you're in AR), so you can get away with having a pretty low recharge bonus. Soldiers have ammo powers, too, but in my experience, enemies in any given mission tend to have similar resistances, so you only really have to choose and activate your ammo powers at the beginning.

Adrenaline Rush is pretty nice, and Concussive Shot is cool, too. Either way, you can make a pretty strong build. Concussive Shot can be spammed about as fast as any power I've ever seen. You can get it down to like 3.37 seconds before the 200% recharge bonus, and it can be evolved so the blast takes on the property of your ammo power (set people on fire, freeze people, pierce shields or armour, etc). Seems pretty legit to me.

I think Soldier's pretty good, actually.

Maybe I was playing wrong wanting to carry a sniper rifle and an assault rifle, but so many talents add to headshot damage. It seems soldiers are designed around having both.

I mean, there's no wrong way to play, man. If you're having some trouble with weight, though, I'd definitely consider dropping some dakka. The Mantis is pretty light, but weight adds up pretty quickly. I'm a cooldown junkie, personally. So take that into consideration. I try never to have anything less than about 190% recharge, but my Salarian Engineer's way below that, with just the Widow equipped, and I'm pretty happy with it. You can get away with having a lower recharge bonus if you don't play a class that has a lot of cooldowns. The way I see it, you basically have two main Soldier builds: the Adrenaline Rush build, which emphasizes weapon damage, and doesn't care as much about weight; and the Concussive Shot build, which relies on a higher (190-200%) recharge bonus, so it can spam ammo-infused Conc Shots.

Both could be pretty effective, in my opinion.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular

Tali. "Induction Port"

Sorry but the best part in the entire game is
    Garrus out-calibrating Legion.

God yes.

Garrus is just the best fucking character ever.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Everyone would have preferred a cliche ending to the one we got.

If the worst complaint about the ending was 'it was so predictable' then there would be no problem at all.

Even an overtly happy ending, with Shepard retiring to his summer home with the love interest and some kids or something, even an ending so maudlin that you lose all hope and faith in the world. Any ending, happy or sad, would have been better than the worst possible ending, a confusing one.

• Options

Son of a fucking bitch, I ran the entire game on Hardcore without doing that.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Not only that, but an ending is literally the most important part of any narrative.

That's a pretty extreme statement. The narrative is the most important part of the narrative. Every second of it can draw a person in or repel them. People wouldn't care about the ending if they didn't love the game so much.

Alucard, you need to be on more.

I need competent people to run through Gold with.
    You want to go a few rounds?

Yeah sure.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular

WTF? You're kidding right?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Incendiary is the best all-around ammo, I think, since they seem to have nerfed Warp Ammo a bit. It's effective against everything except Barriers and when fully upgraded causes a stun as targets do the "I'm on fire !" dance. Barriers were a real problem in ME2 since so many enemies had them, but that was easily solve-able by taking Reave as your bonus power and/or teaming with Samara whenever possible.

Also, boobs.

There are fewer enemies in ME3 with Barriers, however. Mostly the Phantoms and asari Banshees.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    you can upgrade your weapons in the hanger bay.

also... i never had issues with enemies in me3 as an infiltrator. I pumped up my sniper abilities, and loaded the penetration mod and extended barrel on my sniper rifle. practically explode all brains and two-shot brutes. banshees... yea... disruptor ammo, incinerate, overload from garrus, and a warp effect from my biotic teammate. still takes a bit to drop her. take dat bitch down naow!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    A game where you play as an Asari Justicar wandering the galaxy, righting wrongs and beating up bad guys. A futuristic twist on Kung Fu.

Massassin's Creed, starring a young Drell Hitman named Thane.

Gotta have a game where you play as a Quarian going on his/her pilgrimage during the Geth uprising.

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

If the worst complaint about the ending was 'it was so predictable' then there would be no problem at all.

Even an overtly happy ending, with Shepard retiring to his summer home with the love interest and some kids or something, even an ending so maudlin that you lose all hope and faith in the world. Any ending, happy or sad, would have been better than the worst possible ending, a confusing one.

I'm not sure, but maaaaybe you should spoiler that, just in case someone was actually expecting that :(

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Not only that, but an ending is literally the most important part of any narrative. It carries far more emotional importance than any other singular part of the story.

It's badness is hugely enhanced because of this.
    Technically, the beginning is the most important part of a narrative. If you can't hook the reader with the first sentence, no one is going to bother continuing.

I adore my soldier. Ran with the Turian take on the Revenant(+mag, cover pierce) and an ultra light SMG (-weight, +mag) for the rare occurrence that I ran out of ammo. Basically every time Adernaline Rush was fresh, I hit it. Incendiary Ammo was on unless I came up against a Banshee or Geth, where I switched to Disrupter Ammo as needed.

For team mates, I took somebody with Overload / Energy Drain, and somebody else with Incinerate / Warp.

You learn Energy Drain from Tali
    It was actually rather disturbing as Tali and Shepard had sex and then the next morning I suddenly knew Energy Drain. Wait, what ?

as it's so powerful that I kept it as my bonus for the rest of the game.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular

5 ranks of improvements provides very little bonus. I think it added 4 ammo and maybe 2% damage to the Saber at rank 5.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options

Nope.

I am perfectly content and satisfied with Mass Effect 3's ending.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Party Member: "Hey, while we're on the Citadel, we should stock up on essentials. Weapons, armor, ammo. Just in case."
    Shepard: *shifty-eyed* "Essentials. Right." *checks to make sure the aquarium I just bought was delivered to the Normandy*

• Options
    Bioware: "Mass Effect 3 will answer all your questions!"

Reality: "Mass Effect 3 doesn't answer all your questions (and gives you new ones)"

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Nope.

You're the only one. Well maybe 4 others.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Party Member: "Hey, while we're on the Citadel, we should stock up on essentials. Weapons, armor, ammo. Just in case."
    Shepard: *shifty-eyed* "Essentials. Right." *checks to make sure the aquarium I just bought was delivered to the Normandy*

"HEyyy! You forgot your fish!"

(Nobody will get that reference...)

• Options

Nope.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Fast thread is fast and there are like ten more pages of ending discussion since I last posted.

But I have to say this:
    After I played ME2 I immediately started a new game+ and played it again. I finished ME3 on Friday and haven't touched it since. Yes, the bulk of the game was good but knowing what happens at the end has made me not want to play it anymore. I didn't decide to not want to play it anymore, I just don't. And the reason for this is absolutely the last five minutes of the game.

If they want me to buy DLC, or be interested in anything that has to do with the Mass Effect universe in the future, they need to fix the ending.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Fast thread is fast and there are like ten more pages of ending discussion since I last posted.

But I have to say this:
    After I played ME2 I immediately started a new game+ and played it again. I finished ME3 on Friday and haven't touched it since. Yes, the bulk of the game was good but knowing what happens at the end has made me not want to play it anymore. I didn't decide to not want to play it anymore, I just don't. And the reason for this is absolutely the last five minutes of the game.

If they want me to buy DLC, or be interested in anything that has to do with the Mass Effect universe in the future, they need to fix the ending.

I still say the ending to the Dark Tower series was worse :D

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    No, he means "fix."
    It might be only broken subjectively, of course, but the ending's chief emotion is one of confusion. That can't be considered a creative success.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options

But I have to say this:

"Fix" implies "broken". I think you mean "make what I wanted instead of what I got."

BAM!

This guy gets it.

• Options
    joshgotro wrote: »

WTF? You're kidding right?

I wish I was kidding.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    So Datapad has origins built into it and you can click the logo to get access to your friends "feeds" and your friends list and profile and stuff. It would see one of you REALLY likes ME:Infilitrator.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    To be fair, upgrading weapons doesn't really do much.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Yes, wanting an epilogue after a hundred hours of playing is completely unreasonable, and the stuff that came out of nowhere and reduced Shepard to a mute is totally acceptable.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Yeah, let's stop saying "everyone hates this ending." The vocal internet crowd is hardly everyone.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular

But I have to say this:

"Fix" implies "broken". I think you mean "make what I wanted instead of what I got."
    I'd put the current ending at the same place as Fallout 3's original ending. I can live with it, but it would just be so easy to make it a hundred times better. I will happily pay for Mass Effect: Broken Steel.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

But I have to say this:

Ending stuff
    It took me a while before I started my ME3 second run. And while the ending definitely needs some clarification, for me the main reason it was hard to start a new game is because I looked at Anderson in the beginning and instantly remembered "I'm proud of you, child" and began sobbing uncontrolably.

The ending has it's issues, but honestly... the hardest thing about it was saying goodbye. To Anderson and Joker, to Garrus and Liara and all my crewmates, but most importantly to Shepard.

One of the things I've thought about in the aftermath is something Javik says during the game. He has this memory shard that allows him to relive his memories, and he and Shep are discussing it. He asks her if she would be willing to relive the happy times in her life, if it also meant that she had to relive the pain of watching those she loves die. And Shep said yes. Now that I'm in the middle of my second run, and am gearing up for a 1 - 3 complete run (maybe a couple of those), I know that the answer for me is also yes. It's worth meeting Garrus, Liara, Tali and Wrex again for the first time. To become bros with them again and for them all to become immesurably badass once again, even if it means that at the end, my Shep dies and they are who knows where, or even dead. Because the important thing, the thing Bioware did incredibly, was make me care about these characters the way no video game ever has.

I also can't help but wonder how much of the "This ending ruined everything forever!" is as a result of other people having to say goodbye abruptly to characters they loved so much. And for BSN especially, how much of the angst is because they didn't get a house in the country with their waifu. I mean, since before the game was released, there was a BSN 'campaign' for Bioware to cure Thane. There's had to have been a ton of emotion from people who were hoping against hope for the "everyone lives happily ever after, forever" ending.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I feel like Ive already played the shit out of this game. Then I remember that I havent even ran into the Quarians or the Geth.

ME3 makes me feel the need to go out and buy ME1 and 2 again so I can play through with another "cannon" shep who hasnt fucked himself over via racism. Because there are characters I flat out never met. Two playable characters in 2 just sat in boxes because "fuck the geth and fuck the krogan".

616610-1.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Hmm.

Fallout 3's ending was significantly worse but my expectations of quality were much higher for this game.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular

But I have to say this:

Have you ever made a detailed argument about something, then had it ignored? Was that frustrating for you? Both me and many others have explained in detail why we think the ending is broken. Then someone comes along and just skips past all that and summarizes our objections in a completely inaccurate (and condescending) way.

So our choices are apparently either accept this or type out ALL THAT SHIT AGAIN. Arg.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

But I have to say this:

BAM!

This guy gets it.

Eh...
    The ending has actual flaws above and beyond "Oh noes, Shepard died! The relays are destroyed!"

The reasoning behind the cycle is just dumb. The entire thing. If synthetics inevitably rise against their creators, then why aren't the Reapers used as a weapon against the synthetics?. Why is being painfully turned into gray goup, then pumped in as the lifeblood for a robot the ideal solution? Especially since, presumably, the Reapers were created by organics.

Those are the kinds of questions that need to be ironed out before presenting the organic -> synthetic cycle as a legitimate problem necessitating the Reapers.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    When I anticipated this game, I mentally came up with this ending...while cheesy, and almost plagiarized from other sources, was simple, and emotionally impactful. I made several changes to my dream ending while playing the game
    You've defeated TIM, and you're ready to fire the McGuffin (I.E. Crucible). EDI either announces via radio or in person that TIM managed to disconnect the final couplings, and without it, the Crucible will not fire. Unfortunately, the area where it is located is drenched in electromagnetic radiation (or some other technobabble) So, in order to defeat the Reapers, someone's going to have to enter that room and manually connect the stuff. Problem is, the radiation will fry anyone, organic or synthetic. Then, three things may happen:

Option #1: You volunteer to sacrifice yourself to go into the room, where you manage to do the work, and die shortly after. Kinda like Star Trek Wrath of Khan. Bonus points for having your love interest (if they are not in the party at the time, but are on Normandy) screaming over the radio not to do it.

Option #2: If your LI is in the party, they will attempt to do the deed., and tell you that you mean the world to them. Now, Unlike a certain other Bioware game that did the same option, you can either charm (Please <LI>, let me do this), or Intimidate (Stand down <LI>, that's an order!) to let you do option #1. If you can't, they'll go in your stead, possibly accompanied by a line or two.

Option #3: You single? Left your LI behind? Don't want to die? There's still a solution. If EDI is in your party she will attempt to finish it, reminding you of the conversation you and her had about self preservation. You can also charm/intimidate her out of it, or you can let her do it.

Afterwards, there will be a memorial, dedicated to the people who fought and died, and your teammates and you (should option 1 not be taken) reflect on the sacrifices made.

Yeah, it's crappy, and probably has a bunch of holes too big to strap N7 armour over, but I liked it...Not to say the original ending is horrible, just not what I expected.

This discussion has been closed.