As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

1939495969799»

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Fast thread is fast and there are like ten more pages of ending discussion since I last posted.

But I have to say this:
    After I played ME2 I immediately started a new game+ and played it again. I finished ME3 on Friday and haven't touched it since. Yes, the bulk of the game was good but knowing what happens at the end has made me not want to play it anymore. I didn't decide to not want to play it anymore, I just don't. And the reason for this is absolutely the last five minutes of the game.

If they want me to buy DLC, or be interested in anything that has to do with the Mass Effect universe in the future, they need to fix the ending.
    "Fix" implies "broken". I think you mean "make what I wanted instead of what I got."
    Have you ever made a detailed argument about something, then had it ignored? Was that frustrating for you? Both me and many others have explained in detail why we think the ending is broken. Then someone comes along and just skips past all that and summarizes our objections in a completely inaccurate (and condescending) way.

So our choices are apparently either accept this or type out ALL THAT SHIT AGAIN. Arg.
    Just link Jacob's post from SE++.

forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/156984/awesome-mass-effect-3-there-goes-the-neighborhood-by-jacobkosh

It is the best writeup on the topic I've seen.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Party Member: "Hey, while we're on the Citadel, we should stock up on essentials. Weapons, armor, ammo. Just in case."
    Shepard: *shifty-eyed* "Essentials. Right." *checks to make sure the aquarium I just bought was delivered to the Normandy*

"HEyyy! You forgot your fish!"

(Nobody will get that reference...)

Space Quest 6!!

With that out of the way, I'm super hesitant to boot up the 360 today with all of this profile business going on. Has anyone played without the gamerscore issue happening?

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Fast thread is fast and there are like ten more pages of ending discussion since I last posted.

But I have to say this:
    After I played ME2 I immediately started a new game+ and played it again. I finished ME3 on Friday and haven't touched it since. Yes, the bulk of the game was good but knowing what happens at the end has made me not want to play it anymore. I didn't decide to not want to play it anymore, I just don't. And the reason for this is absolutely the last five minutes of the game.

If they want me to buy DLC, or be interested in anything that has to do with the Mass Effect universe in the future, they need to fix the ending.

Ending stuff
    It took me a while before I started my ME3 second run. And while the ending definitely needs some clarification, for me the main reason it was hard to start a new game is because I looked at Anderson in the beginning and instantly remembered "I'm proud of you, child" and began sobbing uncontrolably.

The ending has it's issues, but honestly... the hardest thing about it was saying goodbye. To Anderson and Joker, to Garrus and Liara and all my crewmates, but most importantly to Shepard.

One of the things I've thought about in the aftermath is something Javik says during the game. He has this memory shard that allows him to relive his memories, and he and Shep are discussing it. He asks her if she would be willing to relive the happy times in her life, if it also meant that she had to relive the pain of watching those she loves die. And Shep said yes. Now that I'm in the middle of my second run, and am gearing up for a 1 - 3 complete run (maybe a couple of those), I know that the answer for me is also yes. It's worth meeting Garrus, Liara, Tali and Wrex again for the first time. To become bros with them again and for them all to become immesurably badass once again, even if it means that at the end, my Shep dies and they are who knows where, or even dead. Because the important thing, the thing Bioware did incredibly, was make me care about these characters the way no video game ever has.

I also can't help but wonder how much of the "This ending ruined everything forever!" is as a result of other people having to say goodbye abruptly to characters they loved so much. And for BSN especially, how much of the angst is because they didn't get a house in the country with their waifu. I mean, since before the game was released, there was a BSN 'campaign' for Bioware to cure Thane. There's had to have been a ton of emotion from people who were hoping against hope for the "everyone lives happily ever after, forever" ending.

Absolutely, particularly this: "Because the important thing, the thing Bioware did incredibly, was make me care about these characters the way no video game ever has. " These are videogame characters, yet here I am tearing up in relief when I first hear Garrus' voice and experiencing that feeling in the pit of my stomach when you-know-who boards that elevator to the top of the tower. And this is MASS EFFECT's great accomplishment. In a way it's no surprise that the writers gave up at the end. How do you make this stop ?

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    When I anticipated this game, I mentally came up with this ending...while cheesy, and almost plagiarized from other sources, was simple, and emotionally impactful. I made several changes to my dream ending while playing the game
    You've defeated TIM, and you're ready to fire the McGuffin (I.E. Crucible). EDI either announces via radio or in person that TIM managed to disconnect the final couplings, and without it, the Crucible will not fire. Unfortunately, the area where it is located is drenched in electromagnetic radiation (or some other technobabble) So, in order to defeat the Reapers, someone's going to have to enter that room and manually connect the stuff. Problem is, the radiation will fry anyone, organic or synthetic. Then, three things may happen:

Option #1: You volunteer to sacrifice yourself to go into the room, where you manage to do the work, and die shortly after. Kinda like Star Trek Wrath of Khan. Bonus points for having your love interest (if they are not in the party at the time, but are on Normandy) screaming over the radio not to do it.

Option #2: If your LI is in the party, they will attempt to do the deed., and tell you that you mean the world to them. Now, Unlike a certain other Bioware game that did the same option, you can either charm (Please <LI>, let me do this), or Intimidate (Stand down <LI>, that's an order!) to let you do option #1. If you can't, they'll go in your stead, possibly accompanied by a line or two.

Option #3: You single? Left your LI behind? Don't want to die? There's still a solution. If EDI is in your party she will attempt to finish it, reminding you of the conversation you and her had about self preservation. You can also charm/intimidate her out of it, or you can let her do it.

Afterwards, there will be a memorial, dedicated to the people who fought and died, and your teammates and you (should option 1 not be taken) reflect on the sacrifices made.

Yeah, it's crappy, and probably has a bunch of holes too big to strap N7 armour over, but I liked it...Not to say the original ending is horrible, just not what I expected.

Those are, essentially, the FALLOUT 3 ending choices, right ? Been a while since I played and I forget.

• WappaduWappadu Registered User regular
    All of my saves have the Council surviving ME1. Can anyone spoil me on ME3 consequences of an all-human Council? I'm trying to decide on a couple different ME2saves.com files, and wondered if that choice should factor in very heavily.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    So much spoilers! Must avoid thread.

I really REALLY wish there was Multi thread. Carry on.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Wappadu wrote: »
    All of my saves have the Council surviving ME1. Can anyone spoil me on ME3 consequences of an all-human Council? I'm trying to decide on a couple different ME2saves.com files, and wondered if that choice should factor in very heavily.
    Its not all human. There's a new Turian, Asari and Salarian councilor

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Actually, wasn't even thinking of FO3, I was thinking more along the lines of DA:O ending, coupled with the emotional hubdrub of Wrath Of Khan's ending. That being said, FO3 has the bare bones structure of it. A lot of movies do. That's why it's pretty much a cliche.

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh god, the cut dialog from the SE++ thread is HEARTRENDING
    Think of how proud your kids would be... their dad is THE commander Sherpard!

Bless your heart.
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    someone else can take it if they want

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yeah ME1 seemed to focus your choices on Alliance versus Council so I was under the impression humanity would be in a much more powerful position following that game. Really, all you can do in 1 is piss off other aliens while not really improving humanity's position much.

616610-1.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Yeah ME1 seemed to focus your choices on Alliance versus Council so I was under the impression humanity would be in a much more powerful position following that game. Really, all you can do in 1 is piss off other aliens while not really improving humanity's position much.

Pretty accurate portrayal of real world diplomacy really.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

That is not cut dialog. Someone here has actually seen it in game.
    It seems you can get that dialog if you have no active romances. Not sure it's worth going without MAI WAIFU Garrus, though. The "I'm proud of you, child" is good enough for me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

It seems you can get that dialog if you have no active romances. Not sure it's worth going without MAI WAIFU Garrus, though. The "I'm proud of you, child" is good enough for me.
    I thought Anderson had a son?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    So much spoilers! Must avoid thread.

I really REALLY wish there was Multi thread. Carry on.

Can we not have a multi-focused thread too?

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I thought Anderson had a son?
    I don't really know, I haven't read the books. But even if he has a son, that doesn't mean he can't feel fatherly towards Shepard, does it?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Fallout 3's ending was much worse, but so was the rest of the narrative so I didn't really expect as much from it. Mass Effect had been building to the final confrontation with those fucking squids since day 1 and the ending mattered a lot more. I didn't think it was horrible per se, because the concepts behind each ending COULD have been great but they were just not presented and executed in a good way in my eyes.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • MechanicalMistressMechanicalMistress Registered User new member
    Or they were setting up for dark energy. Now we'll never know.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    So nobody has any comments on running the game as a soldier this time or the gun weight system? I am disappoint.

Tips for running as a Soldier:

The carry weight bonus is slightly misleading. Your plan should not be to carry all 5 guns, it should be to limit yourself to 2 guns (MAYBE 3, if you enjoy sniping) and enjoy the extra power recharge bonus.

Spam Concussive Shot. It is excellent in every way, it even has homing so you can shoot it around a corner and knock people out from behind cover. Especially make use of CS when moving between cover, it's like providing your own covering fire.

Incendiary Ammo. Learn it. Love it.

I usually carried the Mantis and either the Saber or Revenant. I was still facing a pretty negative power recharge rate (12 seconds or so).

I was using AP ammo almost exclusively except using Disruptor on Banshees. Is incendiary better than it?

I dunno, the incendiary panic effect seemed to be really helping me, and I didn't have that much trouble with Brutes (provided I wasn't being unavoidably flanked or some shit), Harvesters, etc. Banshees can go take a flying fuck, of course, but that seems to be a universal experience.

I ran with the Vindicator and a Heavy Pistol for most of the game, after I realized I was never using my sniper rifle. 200% recharge bonus, I could concussive shot again by the time the animation was done, pretty much.

Speaking of which, I keep seeing people talk about the Vindicator III and shit like that, as though the base gun can be upgraded and not just modded. Where did I miss that option?

Incendiary is the best all-around ammo, I think, since they seem to have nerfed Warp Ammo a bit. It's effective against everything except Barriers and when fully upgraded causes a stun as targets do the "I'm on fire !" dance. Barriers were a real problem in ME2 since so many enemies had them, but that was easily solve-able by taking Reave as your bonus power and/or teaming with Samara whenever possible.

Also, boobs.

There are fewer enemies in ME3 with Barriers, however. Mostly the Phantoms and asari Banshees.

Man, really? I got the opposite impression: Warp Ammo seriously outstrips Incendiary now, whereas the reverse was true before (for Vanguards, the only class that matters). Warp's bonuses to health and armor are higher than Incendiary's (or Armor Piercing's, even), and the crowd control effect on Incendiary is no longer reliable enough to really matter.

dN0T6ur.png
  • the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    so... I started it.
    I started.
    And ... I found out I care for my Shepard. I do. I am caring for a videogame character. Holy hell. I made him to look a lot like me.
    and just the first few minutes plunged me into everything, again.
    Hot damn, this game.

• tolragtolrag Registered User regular

That wasn't cut. You get it if you
    dont have a love interest.

There's a new thread already, guys.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/157087/

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

But I have to say this:

"Fix" implies "broken". I think you mean "make what I wanted instead of what I got."

BAM!

This guy gets it.

Agreed, I mean I liked the ending I got and had no idea anybody else thought differently. What where people thinking going in?
    There was always going to be one button saying Destroy and one saying Control. The only one that wasn't hinted at enough was Combine. Even that one was obvious enough that I suspected it from the start. That is the plot of the game: To either Destroy or Control the Reapers.

The entire point of the VI kid was that Synthetics and Organics where constantly fighting so he started the cycle. Periodically resetting the galaxy to zero and allowing the cycle to start over and preventing either side to gain the upper hand. It was up to Shepard to decide the end to the war: Destroy Synthetics(ending one species of life for now), Control Synthetics(Firmly establishing Synthetics as organic slaves and Combine(Make Synthetics and Organics one species).

The only thing lacking was apparently spelling that out for people.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

But I have to say this:

Ending stuff
    It took me a while before I started my ME3 second run. And while the ending definitely needs some clarification, for me the main reason it was hard to start a new game is because I looked at Anderson in the beginning and instantly remembered "I'm proud of you, child" and began sobbing uncontrolably.

The ending has it's issues, but honestly... the hardest thing about it was saying goodbye. To Anderson and Joker, to Garrus and Liara and all my crewmates, but most importantly to Shepard.

One of the things I've thought about in the aftermath is something Javik says during the game. He has this memory shard that allows him to relive his memories, and he and Shep are discussing it. He asks her if she would be willing to relive the happy times in her life, if it also meant that she had to relive the pain of watching those she loves die. And Shep said yes. Now that I'm in the middle of my second run, and am gearing up for a 1 - 3 complete run (maybe a couple of those), I know that the answer for me is also yes. It's worth meeting Garrus, Liara, Tali and Wrex again for the first time. To become bros with them again and for them all to become immesurably badass once again, even if it means that at the end, my Shep dies and they are who knows where, or even dead. Because the important thing, the thing Bioware did incredibly, was make me care about these characters the way no video game ever has.

I also can't help but wonder how much of the "This ending ruined everything forever!" is as a result of other people having to say goodbye abruptly to characters they loved so much. And for BSN especially, how much of the angst is because they didn't get a house in the country with their waifu. I mean, since before the game was released, there was a BSN 'campaign' for Bioware to cure Thane. There's had to have been a ton of emotion from people who were hoping against hope for the "everyone lives happily ever after, forever" ending.

This is something I felt too. When I beat it the first time I was so uncontrollably bummed out and I didn't understand why. And then I realized it's because Shepard's story was over and that most, if not all of the characters that I had grown to care about, I wouldn't see them again. It's like graduating high school or leaving summer camp. All those buddies you'll probably never have again, and you know that story is over and it's hard to see it go. It didn't have to do with how good or bad the ending was.

After Mass Effect 1 and 2 I could go "Man, I can't wait to see what happens next." Well, nothing happens next. It's done. =(

• SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    When I anticipated this game, I mentally came up with this ending...while cheesy, and almost plagiarized from other sources, was simple, and emotionally impactful. I made several changes to my dream ending while playing the game
    You've defeated TIM, and you're ready to fire the McGuffin (I.E. Crucible). EDI either announces via radio or in person that TIM managed to disconnect the final couplings, and without it, the Crucible will not fire. Unfortunately, the area where it is located is drenched in electromagnetic radiation (or some other technobabble) So, in order to defeat the Reapers, someone's going to have to enter that room and manually connect the stuff. Problem is, the radiation will fry anyone, organic or synthetic. Then, three things may happen:

Option #1: You volunteer to sacrifice yourself to go into the room, where you manage to do the work, and die shortly after. Kinda like Star Trek Wrath of Khan. Bonus points for having your love interest (if they are not in the party at the time, but are on Normandy) screaming over the radio not to do it.

Option #2: If your LI is in the party, they will attempt to do the deed., and tell you that you mean the world to them. Now, Unlike a certain other Bioware game that did the same option, you can either charm (Please <LI>, let me do this), or Intimidate (Stand down <LI>, that's an order!) to let you do option #1. If you can't, they'll go in your stead, possibly accompanied by a line or two.

Option #3: You single? Left your LI behind? Don't want to die? There's still a solution. If EDI is in your party she will attempt to finish it, reminding you of the conversation you and her had about self preservation. You can also charm/intimidate her out of it, or you can let her do it.

Afterwards, there will be a memorial, dedicated to the people who fought and died, and your teammates and you (should option 1 not be taken) reflect on the sacrifices made.

Yeah, it's crappy, and probably has a bunch of holes too big to strap N7 armour over, but I liked it...Not to say the original ending is horrible, just not what I expected.
    I find your ending, superior to what was there. They need a simple ending, to provide catharsis, save the galaxy and give the protagonist a fitting end. Instead we got magic ghost children and exposition which makes no sense.

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Yeah, let's stop saying "everyone hates this ending." The vocal internet crowd is hardly everyone.

Anyone who thought it was good or the right ending to the trilogy is a goose. Of all the ways to end it, the way that was chosen was so abhorrent that it truly is broken. It's not entitlement to want something better than poorly conceived shitty fanfiction for an ending to a trilogy we've put over 100 hours into.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The ending had a few decent ideas, but not even I will say it wasn't disapointing.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    Guys can you switch over to the new thread now? You can quote stuff from this thread in that one if you want.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Jacob's post hit the nail on the head. It was completely disconnected from everything that came before.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Could anyone enlighten me as to how many missions I have left? Pretty unsure if this mission is supposed to be the last or not. (As in locked out of travelling with the Normandy)
    I'm about to board the Cerberus base, the Illusive Mans Headquarters I'm assuming, the one that seems like a floating fortress near a Sun.

Sirialis on
  • AtrensisAtrensis Registered User regular
    You're really close to the end, about 1 hour if you take things slowly and admire the scenery.

This discussion has been closed.