As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME! DO IT!

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The RTS description does make me think of Vertex Dispenser. I picked that up during the Christmas sale and really enjoyed the time I spent with it. I need to get back to it. One day. Damn it.

Right now though I'm too busy jailing my seditious brother while waging a war against a pretender to the throne in medieval Scotland.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just curious, is there any other like minded people out there that thing this cash grab on all the bundles is going a bit over board? On one hand, I like having options and what not. The other hand, I was only really buying them as a way to give more to Childs Play. I guess I got mixed emotions on them.

And for something completely different:

Does anyone know of a way to stream gameplay FREE now a days? Caveat is, no capture card and no webcam.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Just curious, is there any other like minded people out there that thing this cash grab on all the bundles is going a bit over board? On one hand, I like having options and what not. The other hand, I was only really buying them as a way to give more to Childs Play. I guess I got mixed emotions on them.

Does anyone know of a way to stream gameplay FREE now a days? Caveat is, no capture card and no webcam.

No, you're not the only one that thinks that. We are heavily into market over-saturation with the bundles. I don't buy into the novelty factor of them at all anymore and only buy them if there's something I want/really want. I don't even buy them if there's 1 game I'm only somewhat interested in, which used to be all it took for me to pull on one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Cash grab? The bundles I've bought have been really cheap.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've bought nearly every bundle even if it only has one game I'm interested in, because usually I have the option to pay little enough that even for only one game it's not bad, and then I get some other keys to gift out usually. (Except in the case of the HIB)

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    A late congrats to Pluff, for winning Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in the Steamgifts contest.

Enjoy the game, or as we like to call it in the anagram bizness, Quadrilaterals Behooved Imp Semen.

....a far better title if you ask me.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Yeah, but I still buy them. I still think HIB is the best as far as games go and charity, but bundles like Indie Royale are still good and giving to indie developers is still a good thing. Not as good as child's play, but I still like to help indie developers out a little.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    PluffPluff BrazilRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    A late congrats to Pluff, for winning Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in the Steamgifts contest.

Enjoy the game, or as we like to call it in the anagram bizness, Quadrilaterals Behooved Imp Semen.

....a far better title if you ask me.

My friend @oakke was just telling me how amazing the game was and some stuff about a patch (wtf?).
    Anyways, lucky me to join and win your giveaway. I can only thank you for this classiness demonstration.

Best Regards.

Pluff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    New thread title, because that deserves to be immortalized (until I hear a funny pun).

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    A sports game is only as good as its step by step tutorial.

Unfortunately, NBA 2k12 fails at this part. I see thats its fun and maybe I'll stick with it, but I don't know anything about basketball and apparently this game doesn't want to teach me anything.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular

Unfortunately, NBA 2k12 fails at this part. I see thats its fun and maybe I'll stick with it, but I don't know anything about basketball and apparently this game doesn't want to teach me anything.

Did you not try the Training Camp practice mode?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceX7RoyceX7 Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Yeah, but I still buy them. I still think HIB is the best as far as games go and charity, but bundles like Indie Royale are still good and giving to indie developers is still a good thing. Not as good as child's play, but I still like to help indie developers out a little.

HIB is really outstanding in a few areas. You would have an expectation on other bundles as well.

Stability - you dont need to wait hours in order to receive an email. Or the site is down all of a sudden.
    Simplicity - Beat the average...Pre-order stuff makes things a bit complicated. HiB offers a grab n go style instead.
    Quality - This is rather subjective but the games do have a higher meta scores and popularity usually.

Steam: RoyceX7

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I wonder if indie developers are really getting money out of these bundles or if they are ending up just giving their games away for pennies. Not good for the industry if indie developers aren't making any money so they can make more games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    What do we have at this point? Humble bundle, Indie Royale, Indie Gala, Groupees bemine bundle, Indie Facekick.
    Am I leaving anything out?

I don't blame a bunch of people jumping on what looks like a good new marketing trend. HIB did a good job of pioneering things, but some competition is good. I think Gala may go by the wayside, just based on the quality of their lineup the second time around, and their desperate sounding e-mails. Groupees seems like it did alright, and they did pretty well with having an exclusive, known title like Sideway New York. Groupees also has been doing bundle type things for a while, just not with games. Royale and HIB seem like they'll keep on trucking. HIB has name brand recognition at this point, and Royale's found a good model as well.

Facekick remains to be seen, but if they can get a title like Dustforce in there, more power to 'em.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Really Big Sky is growing on me.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I wonder if indie developers are really getting money out of these bundles or if they are ending up just giving their games away for pennies. Not good for the industry if indie developers aren't making any money so they can make more games.

Outside Self-publication, Steam is one of the, if not THE best platforms to release your game in terms of licensing options and revenue gain. The fact that they are headed to the mobile market and are putting more and more energy into indie-lead games is just icing on the cake. The best part of all of this is the approvals process, which comes down to if your game is fun or not. This is good as one would hope Steam mobile won't turn into an iTunes App store.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Outside Self-publication, Steam is one of the, if not THE best platforms to release your game in terms of licensing options and revenue gain. The fact that they are headed to the mobile market and are putting more and more energy into indie-lead games is just icing on the cake. The best part of all of this is the approvals process, which comes down to if your game is fun or not. This is good as one would hope Steam mobile won't turn into an iTunes App store.

See Double Fine, Uberent, and Team Meat for the more vocal examples of how XBLA caused them to flock to Steam.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular

Indie developers generally are less concerned with income vs exposure. Again, it is a goal but these bundles are really wonderful for getting their project out there. I can say from talking with my friends going through it now, Steam is the hardest to get to, Desura and I can't recall the other one ATM, but they are less strict in what they require for your game/project to be released. If you look at HIB as an example, it generally averages out the people who pay a penny vs people who do the minimum and people who do a lot more.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

Training camp teaches me button combinations, yes and I did all of it. But that doesn't really help me a ton when actually playing. Like I know what a screen is in basketball, but it doesnt really ever teach you how to effectively use it. I understand there is also an ability to call plays and the training never taught me anything concerning it.

Not to mention I'm trying to play create a player mode and I have no idea what to do. I mean I can pick shots and pass, but since I'm not familiar with basketball I don't know what my position needs to be doing or how to create lanes. When I'm on D I basically just block whoever the blue arrow is pointing at, but I'm getting burned a lot because they seem to slide off me while when I'm on O I don't do the same.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

Training camp teaches me button combinations, yes and I did all of it. But that doesn't really help me a ton when actually playing. Like I know what a screen is in basketball, but it doesnt really ever teach you how to effectively use it. I understand there is also an ability to call plays and the training never taught me anything concerning it.

Not to mention I'm trying to play create a player mode and I have no idea what to do. I mean I can pick shots and pass, but since I'm not familiar with basketball I don't know what my position needs to be doing or how to create lanes. When I'm on D I basically just block whoever the blue arrow is pointing at, but I'm getting burned a lot because they seem to slide off me while when I'm on O I don't do the same.

There's an option to turn on AI play calling and have the diagrams show up on the court. That will show you where you need to be and what you need to do while there (stay, move, screen, pass).

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Newegg has a Bluetooth dongle on sale for $1.99 - if you have a PS3 controller, you can go wireless with MotionJoy pretty easily.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Really Big Sky is growing on me.

Really Big Sky is great.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I remember we had a debate in the chat thread about what Double Fine's kickstarter was going to end at, and I threw out three million. Well...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/double-fine-kickstarter-hits-3-million-drive-closing-on-ustream/

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I remember we had a debate in the chat thread about what Double Fine's kickstarter was going to end at, and I threw out three million. Well...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/double-fine-kickstarter-hits-3-million-drive-closing-on-ustream/

I haven't been following any of it, but it's for a text adventure, right?

This better be a hell of a text adventure for 3 million.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Graphic adventure.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Graphic adventure.

Oh, I could have sworn when they started it was a text adventure. Anyway, still, 3 million? Is that all going towards this?

Also, since this worked so well has any brought up the fact of why they aren't doing this with Psychonauhts?

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Graphic adventure.

aww now I kind of want to see the expense report for a 3m text adventure.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It'll be an encyclopedia-sized Choose Your Own Adventure book.

• Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Graphic adventure.

It is pitch black.

You are likely to be eaten by an HD grue.

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

Graphic adventure.

Oh, I could have sworn when they started it was a text adventure. Anyway, still, 3 million? Is that all going towards this?

Also, since this worked so well has any brought up the fact of why they aren't doing this with Psychonauhts?

It would require about 20 million to fund so it's probably a little out of their reach.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

livestream.com has their procaster and I believe xsplit (may need to also grab dxtory) can be used with livestream/twitch.tv to stream PC gameplay live.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Graphic adventure.

$50,000 - Game Development
    $2.95m - New Ferrari's for everyone

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    $50,000 - Game Development
    $2.95m - New Ferrari's for everyone
    Oh, please.

It would take much more than 2.95 million to get ALL of their staff new ferrari's.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    So question about Dawn of War II, Last stand (retribution or no, doesn't matter). Is there any games I don't know about similar to this mode?

I've never played a DOTA so I'm not even sure if this is similar. I'm not particularly looking for a online VS game but if that's all they come as, then I may check them out.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I've somehow managed to skip the past few days of checking the daily sale. I'm trying to wean myself off the habit.

But today I check. And today they have burnout paradise with all the trimmings for 5 dollars. That is awesome!

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box for 5 bucks.

No word yet on Midweek Madness.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    L.A. Noire 50% off is midweek madness

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Darn, LAN isn't $4.99 yet.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    So question about Dawn of War II, Last stand (retribution or no, doesn't matter). Is there any games I don't know about similar to this mode?

I've never played a DOTA so I'm not even sure if this is similar. I'm not particularly looking for a online VS game but if that's all they come as, then I may check them out.

I haven't played it but seems more similar to the Enfos mods available for WC3 than DOTA from what I can find online.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'll get LA Noire eventually, but $15 is still too much for me.

This would be a good time for a LA Noire coupon.

This discussion has been closed.