As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Another Job Thread? I could do that at home with MS Word!

19495969798100»

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    The last interview I went to was formulaic and redonkulous. Generic crap questions that had nothing to do with anything.

So, job thread, knowing that this is a PR manager gig and who it's for, who has ideas on what kind of questions I'll be asked so that I may properly prepare?

Never interviewed for the coveted role of manager, but for PR you're likely to get a thorny question re: managing the fallout of someone else's mistake

The one I got stung with was how I'd manage the release of statements following a potentially fatal incident brought about by another employee's incompetence. As an underling, an answer about slavishly following protocol and the supervisors' guidelines won through, but making an executive decision? It'd actually require thinking!

If a product results in blindness, nausea, or temporary loss of virginity, how would you do damage control?

On the topic of formulaic interviews, my bakery interview included such head scratchers as, "Would you say your previous managers like you?"

N... No?

Speakerphone pre-interview for the piercing studio, one of the piercers asked if I could catch live goslings while solving math problems.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    The last interview I went to was formulaic and redonkulous. Generic crap questions that had nothing to do with anything.

So, job thread, knowing that this is a PR manager gig and who it's for, who has ideas on what kind of questions I'll be asked so that I may properly prepare?

Never interviewed for the coveted role of manager, but for PR you're likely to get a thorny question re: managing the fallout of someone else's mistake

The one I got stung with was how I'd manage the release of statements following a potentially fatal incident brought about by another employee's incompetence. As an underling, an answer about slavishly following protocol and the supervisors' guidelines won through, but making an executive decision? It'd actually require thinking!

If a product results in blindness, nausea, or temporary loss of virginity, how would you do damage control?

On the topic of formulaic interviews, my bakery interview included such head scratchers as, "Would you say your previous managers like you?"

N... No?

Speakerphone pre-interview for the piercing studio, one of the piercers asked if I could catch live goslings while solving math problems.

He can probably run pretty fast

ryangoslingpicture2.jpg

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @Henroid That sucks. I used to think it was due to lack of sufficiently good scheduling software.
    But it seems much more probable that people in low level management like the place you're working at simply get off on the pathetic tiny bit of power they have.
    They regularly screw over good workers without a good reason.
    :(

Hopefully it works out for you though!

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    You don't need scheduling software as long as graph paper exists.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm looking for something else anyway @neville. I'll work my pathetic hours but as soon as something else comes up, whether it be one of the book stores or UPS (actually I hope UPS) or what the fuck ever, I'm out.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    why bother with graph paper

I've got my trusty yellow legal pad

yes this is how our 20+ million dollar manufacturing company handles our production and capacity scheduling.

:[

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Less than four hours left in today's orientation

Bleahhhh

I have learned nothing that I didn't already know from working any job in California and it's taken more time

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Aw, sorry to hear you were unsuccessful, Aphostile!

I'll survive! Just applied to a million more places down there. Trying to remember what else is located in the area so I can browse their careers sites too!

Nothing. Matters.
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Every day I struggle against the overwhelming urge to have a massive brain aneurysm that causes an instant death thanks to the overwhelming stupidity at my job

I kinda ended up being the closest thing to a supervisor in the smalls/IC belt/auto-DIM corner somehow? Despite only knowing how to do one of those things?

And it is infuriating when I'm tryingto make sure everything is getting done and people are making it harder and my manager doesn't even give a fuck

Thirty goddamn tires come down the belt in a row. The auto-DIM guy has to pull them all off and scan them individually before he can throw them back on the belt

Which is all well and good except thirty fucking tires in a row is a lot of tires and it's not physically possible for one dude to do it that fast

And then my manager literally does not give a fuck when I'm like hey hold the fuck up on that truck that's full of nothing but tires so he can scan them and I can whip them back on the belt (because I do eight different jobs a night weeeeeee) because there is no room to walk and I can't even put smalls bags on the belt over there (where I'm supposed to) because of the literal mountain of tires

NO

Alright thanks boss fuck you too I guess

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hahaha yeah I haven't told you yet buttlord but I am actually your boss at work and I fuck with you only because I have a secret crush on you and don't know how to show it

sorry about the tire thing

i was just blushing so hard on the inside I didn't know what to say!

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I am Rolo the Tsundere Foreman

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Nah she's usually pretty cool about me asking for help to get shit done faster

Because I only ask if we're really fucked up

But she hasn't quite gotten the idea that if I'm saying we're so fucked that the IC pullers need to slow their roll for five or ten minutes, we're really goddamn fucked and you're digging us further into the hole by not slowing it down

Also please note that them slowing their roll doesn't mean "stop working" it means "throw things that aren't smalls/tires/other things that have to be pulled off the belt on unload and pile up and make it harder to work"

Which we have in abundance

This discussion has been closed.