As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2»

• Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    We won't be increasing the avatar size.... uh... anything else? :wink:

I have a few requests... but I'm still under the impression you're not ready for such things
    Good call :D I've got to work out the triage list first. Big errors like connection resets and podcasts. I'll get to other things after.

I'm not officially taking requests. That said, if you could email alphamonkey@penny-arcade.com with a rather large list. I'll see if I can massage the things I like into my todo list. No promises. But if there are small nifty things in there that wouldn't take too much of my time, but make others lives much easier. I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Psssst

(make me a mod)

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Kazhiim wrote:
    Psssst

(make me a mod)
    Psssssst.

I'll make you a mod of something if I can make one change of my choice to your account. :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Is it mod of butts?

I'll bet it's mod of butts.
    (do what you want)

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    would you be more motivated to implement a no-sig option if you could look at code from a forum that has implemented it in phpBB?

I know a guy that runs a phpbb forum with a no-sig option, and i'm pretty sure he'd be more than happy to share the code..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Mr. Yos MannMr. Yos Mann Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    People with 56k connection do still browse the forum.
    And sometimes the pages don't load fully.
    So maybe it's not the best time to make the limit to the avatar and sig size higher.

Mr. Yos Mann on
    shinichiropot2.gif
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Ah yes, there was one forum I used to go to that allowed both sigs and avatar images to be turned off. I enjoyed it a: because you were allowed to go billy-buck-wild with sigs(and I don't like them), and b: it meant I could read at work, and not be bothered about people noticing giant video game images (the rule was webbrowsing was okay, so long as it didn't look too un work related. So, text only message boards were ok).

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Indeed, the ability to hide signatures would be rather fancy. Being forced to view signatures is one of my biggest gripes with phpBB-based forums; I've yet to see one that hid signatures without going to the extreme of disabling them on the board altogether. While I'm aware that Alpha, poor overworked chap that he is, doesn't need any more on his plate I'm compelled to pipe up and state that I am chomping at the bit for a "Hide Signatures" tickbox on my profile. If he could pull it off I would be rather impressed.

I would be his luvvie forever and ever.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I've seen a couple phpBB-based forums with the option to hide sigs. I have no idea how much work went into making that work though, so it may not be worth the trouble.

Tofenheimer on
  • Options
    dmitdmit Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The easiest way to allow per-user sig settings is to add a new class to the <span> where the sig is put in the template. Change it from
    <span class="postbody">

to
    <span class="postbody sig">

and everyone who's using Opera or FF can set up custom CSS for this domain to hide it:
    span.sig {
      display:none;
    }

Voila! No more sigs. And all it took was four characters of code.

dmit on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    that still makes you download the images, however.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    dmitdmit Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Not in Opera. Can anyone check with FF?

http://www.quirksmode.org/css/displayimg.html

dmit on
  • Options
    scjohnnoscjohnno Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    dmit wrote:

My FF2 Beta 1 opened them both.

scjohnno on
    ...a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. I must, of course, admit that if such an opinion became common it would completely transform our social life and our political system; since both are at present faultless, this must weigh against it. - Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    dmit wrote:

well that's neat, that's the first time I've ever seen a browser opt to not download images. consider me pwn'ded.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2006
    Yes, but if it's an option than I still have to fucking look at them because I'm a moderator, and that is just not on. Sigs suck balls.

Tube on
  • Options
    anyprophetanyprophet Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Yes, but if it's an option than I still have to fucking look at them because I'm a moderator, and that is just not on. Sigs suck balls.

If we shut down the boards they'll be easier to moderate.

anyprophet on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I can't decide if you're joking with me or if you're making a retarded straw man

Tube on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    No man we should totally close the forums it's perfect.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2006
    Things would be a lot easier and calmer without them god damn forumers.

Echo on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    we're just a buncha stupid punks. we don't DESERVE a good forum. we can go and rot on gamefaqs and the other shithole.

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    anyprophetanyprophet Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I can't decide if you're joking with me or if you're making a retarded straw man

It's more of a slippery slope.

anyprophet on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    It's fucking retarded is what it is.

Tube on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    20030901h.gif

Brolo on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    OH FUCK HES RIGHT I TOOK A JOB EATING SIGS WHAT WAS I THINKING

So, we're not increasing the avatar sizes? Okay, then this thread doesn't need to be open anymore.

Monoxide on
This discussion has been closed.