As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wasteland 2] 14 major areas to explore. One to press your balls against.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    even tho what you say is true, i always held it against fallout that you were a solo character instead of a party (no followers werent even close to the same thing).

better/worse/indiff as far as mechanics go are all debatable, but it very much was a team effort in wasteland for me

• YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah Fallout had NPCs you could hire.

Depending on your charisma in Wasteland, its hirelings could be even more useless than a Fallout follower. But ignoring NPCs, it was definitely different to be able to create up to four fully controllable characters from the start instead of just one.

Yar on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Just found out about this, this morning, I've got a little bit tucked away still from taxes, so $100 collector's boxed copy will be mine.

I was 7 when I first played Wasteland, was one of the first things I played after my dad got me hooked on Zork and other Infocom games. I can't remember how many parties I took into that rugged landscape only to be turned into paste within a few turns, but damnit I kept going back out there, because that's what Rangers do.

Is it possible to put myself into stasis for the next 18 months?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Brew wrote: »
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Hrm. I wish the $50 box version also came with a digital download...

I'd hope it does and they just missed out the 'previous reward+' bit at the start of the description.

Yeah, except that the $100 box explicitly says also comes w/ a digital version.

yeah that does seem kind of weird... id bump to 65 if it got me both my box and a digital download

In the FAQ at the bottom of their Kickstart page:

I am a collector, can I get a digital copy with my Large Box Copy so I don't have to open the box?
    Due to popular demand, the $50 pledge for the Large Box Copy now also comes with a Digial Download copy of the game. We understand the collector mindset!

Ha ha, awesome. Guess I'm square then. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I disagree. There are differences, quite substantly. I also don't want to see W2 take a Fallout route and rather stay true to its predecessor.

Ofc, there are tons of refrences in Fallout (as it was certainly a spiritual successor) but most of it superficial.

C2B on

maybe but you would miss legend of grimrock, xcom enemy unknown, and borderlands 2, which is just unacceptable

• What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just got off work, so I was a little late updating the OP.

We're at like 25% of the target already. Well done gang; keep spreading the word!

What Is Schwa? on
  • IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well, I put in some money. I'm a sucker for cloth maps.

I hope there's a "maximum nostalgia" option that plays grinding floppy drive noises during the loading screen.

Izzimach on
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Basically, this is the chance for us to show the industry that we can have nice things. If this game can't get made, then that might be seen as a validation of the decisions made by the publishers in a post morrowind world to only agree to make action rpgs, or these awful hybrid things like FO3. We need to show that there is a market for at least high end indy games in the genre we love, otherwise I fear that we will never see a major publisher make a turn based RPG again.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Izzimach wrote: »

I hope there's a "maximum nostalgia" option that plays grinding floppy drive noises during the loading screen.

Ha, nice. And graphics option to play in Apple ][E green mode. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »

maybe but you would miss legend of grimrock which is just unacceptable

Good god, how did I not know about this?!

It looks like a modern version of FTL Games' Dungeon Master, do want!!!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    I just got off work, so I was a little late updating the OP.

We're at like 25% of the target already. Well done gang; keep spreading the word!

stay-on-target.gif

stay on target! 249'000

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Basically, this is the chance for us to show the industry that we can have nice things. If this game can't get made, then that might be seen as a validation of the decisions made by the publishers in a post morrowind world to only agree to make action rpgs, or these awful hybrid things like FO3. We need to show that there is a market for at least high end indy games in the genre we love, otherwise I fear that we will never see a major publisher make a turn based RPG again.

To be honest it probably won't prove much to anyone. It depends on how much money the games make after being finished. Currently all they are proving is that they are able to break even on a (comparatively) very low budget (because they are going to have to break even, obviously). When you're hiring Hollywood actors to do the voices and spend millions in marketing and expect to sell a million copies minimum, you don't care if somebody else makes a game for a million dollars and sells it to 50,000 people and barely makes a profit.

But we will see!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    That's a good point. The publisher sees a break even game as a waste of time. Assuming he allotted himself a living wage, the enthusiast game producer sees a break even game as a wonderful way to earn a living doing what he loves.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    I disagree. There are differences, quite substantly. I also don't want to see W2 take a Fallout route and rather stay true to its predecessor.

Ofc, there are tons of refrences in Fallout (as it was certainly a spiritual successor) but most of it superficial.
    For one it had multiple endings. One even involved the party surviving, if i remember it right.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    That's a good point. The publisher sees a break even game as a waste of time. Assuming he allotted himself a living wage, the enthusiast game producer sees a break even game as a wonderful way to earn a living doing what he loves.

But if the kickstarter project fails, then I think the publishers may take that as a sign that they should never even reconsider making a turn-based iso game. The one thing this genre has going for it is its fanatical fans. If the fans can't get the game made, then why should publisher ever care about us?

That's why I am considering even the $10k donation. I've been talking about missing old games forever, and I'll be damned if I don't help to get a game like this made!

edited March 2012
    ACSIS wrote: »

For one it had multiple endings. One even involved the party surviving, if i remember it right.

Yes, also a focus on C&C which Fallout took over. As I said. It's most certainly a spiritual successor. It still is quite different.

It's still quite different both in gameplay as in narrative. One of the biggest things was already mentioned: The theme of the lone guy that wanders the wasteland. This is pushed hard in Fallout and is one of the things Bethesda actually managed to replicate quite well in F3. If you go on any Fallout focused forums this is what most are talking about when they think of Fallout.

To be more precise here. The reason I'm objecting calling it a direct successor is because, while similiar, there ARE differences between what makes Wasteland "Wasteland" and Fallout "Fallout". I don't think its a good idea to push the "Fallout is Wasteland" image since thats only going to lead to wrong expectations and I fear will change the game negativly.

I don't want Fallout "3", I want Wasteland 2. Thankfully, Fargo seems to be intent on doing that.

C2B on
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    in for $250

i looked longingly at the $1000 level but even though i got a great tax return i can't shut off the voice in the back of my mind saying hey that would be incredibly irresponsible even for you

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    i could find myself in the game and kill me and that would be cool as hell, i argue to myself

and myself responds retiring someday would be cool too wouldn't it, i think it might be even cooler than that thing you just said

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    That's why I am considering even the $10k donation. I've been talking about missing old games forever, and I'll be damned if I don't help to get a game like this made!

Wait until the last day and if they still need a few thousand, then you should consider it.

I think getting the word out among friends and getting them to spread the word would be more helpful than simply donating a few thousand. 900k is a lot, any one person is not going to get this made.

Of course if they meet the goal, an extra 10k could be very beneficial in one aspect or another. :)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

Also a code wheel.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    damn code wheels, i remember losing mine for pool of radiance... it was awful, i had to find a usegroup solution

It would be pretty funny to include a code wheel that whatever the setting just said "password".

steam_sig.png
    Now there are 3 10'000 backers. oO

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Now there are 3 10'000 backers. oO

I'm willing to bet they're some industry types.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    This thing is actually going to get made. I am so excited right now. I wonder how hard it is to get the Interplay 10 years thingy working on my current PC...

steam_sig.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Good lord. They're 1/3 of the way on the first day.

That is way better than I was expecting. Holy shit this thing is really gonna happen.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    edited March 2012

Yes, also a focus on C&C which Fallout took over. As I said. It's most certainly a spiritual successor. It still is quite different.

It's still quite different both in gameplay as in narrative. One of the biggest things was already mentioned: The theme of the lone guy that wanders the wasteland. This is pushed hard in Fallout and is one of the things Bethesda actually managed to replicate quite well in F3. If you go on any Fallout focused forums this is what most are talking about when they think of Fallout.

To be more precise here. The reason I'm objecting calling it a direct successor is because, while similiar, there ARE differences between what makes Wasteland "Wasteland" and Fallout "Fallout". I don't think its a good idea to push the "Fallout is Wasteland" image since thats only going to lead to wrong expectations and I fear will change the game negativly.

I don't want Fallout "3", I want Wasteland 2. Thankfully, Fargo seems to be intent on doing that.

Wasteland is less playful and more grown up and mature for one. Instead of having mutant-orcs running around (there are mutants garanted, actually a quite wide variety) you run into nuns pulling uzis from their robes and the like. It centers around an Arizona-ranger-esque party. It has quite a bit of that "law of the west" feeling to it, taking it to a post nuclear holocaust setting and borrows heavily the Mad Max (and to some degree Terminator) movies (minus the car stunts for obvious reasons - there is a usable jeep, tho, and also a helicopter).

Its a harsh setting in a harsh game environment and it does well in transmiting that in the atmosphere of the game. Considering its technology foundation the games back then had to have deep gameplay because there wasn't much on the visual side to offer. Wasteland is the mariana trench of gameplay.

Character death is irreversible (until you get to the clone vats), tho you could always recruit more low-level rangers as long as one party member survived, wich is acceptable starting out but its rather tendious later in the game to raise up new characters.

Despite this the game really tries to kill you right from the start when chars die easy (but are quickly replaced without much hassle, so you learn the *excellent* skill system, at least the combat and medical releated parts quickly - the hard way, you won't have gimped chars in this one - they simply won't survive). It will poison you. It will throw undetectable radiation on you (unless you obtain a geiger counter), it will dehydrate you in the desert (if you don't have the right equipment), it will sweep you with the current of rivers trying to drown you. It tries to finish you off with unexperienced use of medical skills, it will nibble away on your chars when heavily wounded beyond conciousness (usually the doctors first), it will try to bury you under rubble or make you slip into death during a climb, it tries rip you to pieces with booby traps and it even tries to nuke you... aside of throwing the (un-)usual mengenarie of increasingly harder opponents on you. There are things wich can't be killed at all.

It offers a robust but less esoteric arsenal than the Bethesda Fallouts (no junk-gun, no fuel driven fire-swords). There is a wide range of explosives (yes, the throw skill is relevant unless you are planning on taking out the entire party by a bad throw) as well as high tech energy weapons once you begin to access pre-war military bases, wich are hard-hitting but difficult to supply with ammo. There is also some esoteric stuff like an energy axe (no ammo needed) and a exoskeleton (armor) somewhere, but such toys are used *very* sparingly in the game and indeed more is less here, makes it kinda special. My favourite was always the M1989A1 Nato assault rifle, wich could burn trough an entire clip if neccesary. Gets you through most of the ugly encounters with a reasonable survival rate (goddam cyborg-tanks and Nightmares are an exception, of course).

Today most people would complain about dying. Back then this was considered normal game mechanics. And if we are honest its not a game if you can't loose, thats interactive media at best. What this does is it alters your game experience considerably. Its a difference facing (even if only digital) death at any given moment and adds to the immersion considerably. For one you don't "try and die" - at least not intentionally. Thats where it draws its motivation from. The whole thing is one big challenge and thats why people remember it. I failed countless times. And thats how it buries itself peristently into memory. Ten years later i came back and finished it. Twice. And i enjoyed it. Probably the game i got the most satisfaction from beating. Its not for the faint of heart, but enjoyable and addictive in its own way. No safety net. Can you survive the Wasteland?

ACSIS on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Also a code wheel.

Code wheel? How about a paragraph book? ;)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Soon as I get paid this week, $30 is getting thrown on this.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    That is one thing I remember more than anything about Wasteland: it was fucking harsh. Not only would you get swept into a river of sewage and poisoned, it would throw you through a checkpoint forcing an autosave so when you got outside anybody that had fallen unconscious - which was everybody because you got beat to shit fighting robots earlier - was doomed to die. No choice but to start the whole goddamn game from scratch.

In hindsight I can recognize that as a design flaw and we should be in no hurry to return to it, but you bet your ass I was careful on my next attempt. That game hardened me pretty much for life. It would probably break me in half if I were to play it anew today; hell, it still does on occasion, yet I keep playing it from time to time. Love does funny things to people.

edited March 2012
    Its not a design flaw in my opinion. Then again i am from a generation used to being thrown into a small starship with three lives to take on the entire biomechanical war machine of a space empire. A lot of young people have problems with this kind of "design flaw". They play with their safety net and then they enter a multiplayer enviroment and all of a sudden the situation is different and they go totally ape. I guess they will adjust to loosing, too at some point. Its of course so much harder with all this human factors as hummiliation and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtqB2XO9jtI
    Whats a game without the possibility of an loss, faliure or death? Nothing if you ask me. Interactive media at best. Has not much in common with playing games at all. Much more like watching an action flick.
    This can be entertaining, too - no doubt. Still i feel something is missing wherever i encounter it. Highly deterimental to the replay value, too.

ACSIS on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Bethesda is suing Mojang for naming their new game "Scrolls," so logic is not part of the equation.
    Its pretty standard for companies with trademarks to sue everyone who comes close to using those trademarks because if they don't someone else can use the trademark and bring as evidence that you have abandoned it your lack of defense of the trademark. Basically its Bethesda making sure that in the future no one can make a game and label it "Elder Scrolls" but them. It isn't really them being dickish to a Majong game company. Both companies probably knew this and settled quickly and with little cost to either.

wbBv3fj.png
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular

There's a BBC computer emulator that does this. It fair makes my heart flutter.

edited March 2012
    Its not a design flaw in my opinion. Then again i am from a generation used to being thrown into a small starship with three lives to take on the entire biomechanical war machine of a space empire. A lot of young people have problems with this kind of "design flaw". They play with their safety net and then they enter a multiplayer enviroment and all of a sudden the situation is different and they go totally ape. I guess they will adjust to loosing, too at some point. Its of course so much harder with all this human factors as hummiliation and such.

Whats a game without the possibility of an loss, faliure or death? Nothing if you ask me. Interactive media at best. Has not much in common with playing games at all. Much more like watching an action flick.
    This can be entertaining, too - no doubt. Still i feel something is missing wherever i encounter it. Highly deterimental to the replay value, too.

In principle, I'm fine with games that try to give death some punch. I actually tried the Iron Man mode in Fallout Tactics for that reason (which ended badly, I should add). In practice, Wasteland didn't have permadeath in other aspects - dying in combat or from environmental hazards didn't overwrite your saves, provided there were no map transitions - so it seems inconsistent for the game to arbitrarily overwrite your save after the party's diseased corpses wash out to the main map. Saving in general was kind of fucked, since you could accidentally delete an entire store if you quit the game (or got nailed by a random encounter, or the game crashed) on a shop square.

That said, I do hope they keep some complexity in squadmate conditions, like how critically injured teammates get worse over time unless they get professional help. I do like it when games expect me to be prepared for any situation, which means fielding a well-rounded team with a diverse skillset. If there's an emergency deep in the desert or in a dungeon somewhere, you might not have time to drag your wounded partner to a doctor; patch them up or start digging a grave now.

Stolls on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Wasteland 2, huh? Looks like a cheap Fallout clone
    I'm kidding guys seriously don't kill me please

JKKaAGp.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:

Also a code wheel.

Code wheel? How about a paragraph book? ;)

That's pretty fucking great, right there.

JtgVX0H.png
    Folks we are officially living on a prayer.
    We are half way there.

steam_sig.png
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hmm, never played Wasteland, but played both Fallout 1 & 2 and loved them. I will most likely be donating to this; more in-depth post-apocalyptic RPGs with an emphasis on characters and morality are always a good thing.

The_Tuninator on
    I'm kind of sad that team $15 is beating team $50 so soundly.

What part of cloth maps do people not understand?

I mean, sure, you might have to read a novella by the same person that wrote I, Jedi but that's no reason to forgo a cloth map an actual manual, IMO. Especially if Stackpole doesn't get an opportunity to share what he learned in the Kendo class he took last week.

steam_sig.png