As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME! DO IT!

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hyperion wrote: »
    I've always heard good things about the Burnout games, but have yet to play one. Is Burnout Paradise a good place to start?

I've been around this thread long enough to feel like everyone's going to tell me yes.

For 5 bucks it's the best place to start, but it's not the best Burnout.

As far as Burnout goes for PC though, I'm pretty sure it's your only option anyway.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    I've always heard good things about the Burnout games, but have yet to play one. Is Burnout Paradise a good place to start?

I've been around this thread long enough to feel like everyone's going to tell me yes.

As far as Burnout goes for PC though, I'm pretty sure it's your only option anyway.

Which one is the best Burnout?

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Burnout Paradise is widely considered one of the most fun racing games out there that doesn't involve going around a little track many times. I normally hate racing games, but I really enjoyed Burnout Paradise. Every stoplight has a new event to try, and there are multiple "types" of cars that have different burnout mechanics (basically altering the way you play the car to get the most acceleration). It's this weird mix of open world and racing that works really well.

On the other hand, Burnout Paradise is considered a departure from the franchise as a whole, so keep that in mind. There are Burnout fans that hate Burnout Paradise because it isn't like so-and-so Burnout game (and they have a point, because the other Burnout games have some unique gameplay elements that aren't represented in Burnout Paradise).

If you are new to Burnout and enjoy racing games, Burnout Paradise is a huge bang for your buck. You may be late to the party, but it's a fun racer that combines the best aspects of arcade racers in an open world environment.

And...

"TAKE ME DOWN TO THE PARADISE CITY WHERE THE GRASS IS GREEN AND THE GIRLS ARE PRETTY..." *crabwalks*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I have Burnout Paradise on my PS3, but haven't played it much. I was disappointed that there's no crash mode...unless I am missing something. I loved playing that mode in Burnout 3.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    You can't go wrong with Paradise or Takedown. Very tough call.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    I'm kind of at a loss on why I haven't played Mass Effect before now. This game is pretty good!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Burnout Paradise is the only racing game I've ever really gotten into. Soooo goood.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Podunk wrote: »
    I'm kind of at a loss on why I haven't played Mass Effect before now. This game is pretty good!

Yeah, I started playing Mass Effect a few years ago and it didn't really grab me, so I put it away for a while. I started playing it again about a year later and it absolutely hooked me. I intend to do a second playthrough one day.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I have Burnout Paradise on my PS3, but haven't played it much. I was disappointed that there's no crash mode...unless I am missing something. I loved playing that mode in Burnout 3.
    Crash mode in Burnout Paradise is called "Showtime". There's no dedicated Crash Mode, but Showtime can be done at any time whenever you feel like it (wikipedia quote):
    "In previous Burnout games, "Crash Mode", was a dedicated mode in which players were given scenarios in which to cause the biggest crash. In Burnout Paradise, "Crash Mode", now called "Showtime", can be initiated at any time and place in the game. Showtime does differ from the previous incarnation of Crash Mode being that instead of crashing into a busy intersection and watching a crash play out, Showtime has you bounce the vehicle around for as long as possible to gain points."

On the one hand, you lose the scenarios. On the other hand, you can initiate a huge crash at any time in the city, which can be more entertaining. You get more Showtime points for combo'ing crashes longer, extending the time of the crash. It can get pretty ridiculous.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    It hasn't been said enough times yet, so: Burnout Paradise is a very good game. You should buy it.

Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    I don't think I own a single racing game on Steam and you guys are making me want to get Burnout Paradise. I bought the OMD DLCs so I kinda already served the Newell today, right?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Just curious, is there any other like minded people out there that thing this cash grab on all the bundles is going a bit over board? On one hand, I like having options and what not. The other hand, I was only really buying them as a way to give more to Childs Play. I guess I got mixed emotions on them.

And for something completely different:

Does anyone know of a way to stream gameplay FREE now a days? Caveat is, no capture card and no webcam.

livestream.com has their procaster and I believe xsplit (may need to also grab dxtory) can be used with livestream/twitch.tv to stream PC gameplay live.

Thanks but.

Procaster gives you either 5 or 10 casts before you have to buy it.
    xsplit won't stream a game unless you upgrade from free version
    dxtory looks to be pay as well.

That's strange, I've been using Procaster for years without such limitations, and I haven't paid a cent. Xsplit is supposed to be in beta mode, so you should be able to stream directly from it without issue.
    dxtory is pay, but it does have some free features .

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    Well, there I go then. Guess I gotta buy it. Thanks all-

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:

Which one is the best Burnout?

Takedown. Like someone else said Paradise would be a lot better if they didn't depart from the other Burnout games and get rid of crash mode.

But Paradise is still good. And for 5 bucks it's a no brainer.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    I don't think I own a single racing game on Steam and you guys are making me want to get Burnout Paradise. I bought the OMD DLCs so I kinda already served the Newell today, right?

Nope sorry. I'm sure in the fine print somewhere Newell service excludes DLC.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    Penumbra wrote: »
    Sumanai wrote: »

Nope sorry. I'm sure in the fine print somewhere Newell service excludes DLC.

Not too mention serving the Newell never ends.

• Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I think there's something off about my leaderboard tracking in Super Meat Boy. It's an odd thing to complain about, but I'm pretty sure it's assigning me much better times than I think I got.

EDIT: Maybe "much" is too extreme, but my replay showed me 5.95, and my leaderboard time is 5.65. Is that supposed to happen?

EDIT 2: OK maybe it's my replays that are whacky. There's some odd slowdown happening during them, maybe that's the issue.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    AnteCanteloupe is a very classy gent and sent me a copy of Orcs Must Die! out of the blue. Thanks Ante!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Yeah, I started playing Mass Effect a few years ago and it didn't really grab me, so I put it away for a while. I started playing it again about a year later and it absolutely hooked me. I intend to do a second playthrough one day.

I'm seriously considering playing through ME1 and 2 again while waiting for a ME3 sale on Origin, but considering I just today hooked my PC up to my TV, I'm kinda put off by the fact that neither of them apparently have controller support. Which just seems bizarre, considering they're 360 games.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Just curious, is there any other like minded people out there that thing this cash grab on all the bundles is going a bit over board? On one hand, I like having options and what not. The other hand, I was only really buying them as a way to give more to Childs Play. I guess I got mixed emotions on them.

Does anyone know of a way to stream gameplay FREE now a days? Caveat is, no capture card and no webcam.

livestream.com has their procaster and I believe xsplit (may need to also grab dxtory) can be used with livestream/twitch.tv to stream PC gameplay live.

Thanks but.

That's strange, I've been using Procaster for years without such limitations, and I haven't paid a cent. Xsplit is supposed to be in beta mode, so you should be able to stream directly from it without issue.

Ok I was wrong, Procaster is not giving me the 10 session thing, I THINK it was another one I tried. Thanks for your help. Now to figure out why I have two accounts and passwords for LiveStream since they seem to have 2 versions of their site now?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

I'm seriously considering playing through ME1 and 2 again while waiting for a ME3 sale on Origin, but considering I just today hooked my PC up to my TV, I'm kinda put off by the fact that neither of them apparently have controller support. Which just seems bizarre, considering they're 360 games.

Also strange considering the amount of mouse acceleration present in all three of them. Chalk it up to Bioware's foresight I do suppose.

steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular

Thanks but.

Ok I was wrong, Procaster is not giving me the 10 session thing, I THINK it was another one I tried. Thanks for your help. Now to figure out why I have two accounts and passwords for LiveStream since they seem to have 2 versions of their site now?

Might have accidentally signed up on the beta part of the site which may be treated differently than the regular one. Glad to hear it's working though!

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Burnout Paradise is definitely fun, I played it for a while and enjoyed it. My problems with it are a) After Burnout 2, they got too interested in crashing and not enough in racing. Burnout 2 remains my favourite racing game because every one after them, Paradise included, is basically Mario Kart, there's no advantage to taking the lead more than 20 seconds before the end. And b) My favourite tracks were always the ones outside the city. Big Surf Shores on 2 is my favourite track because the road's only 2 lanes, there's thin traffic, and big sweeping corners, it's just so fun to drift for 300m because that's how long the corner is. The city tracks are fun too, but they're more about heavy traffic and sharp 90 degree turns, which I find less fun. Since Paradise starts a new event at every set of traffic lights, and of course there are more traffic lights in the city than outside, the few bits of track that I really like are rarely used.

Also you need to keep looking at your map to figure out where you're meant to go. Also I don't like shortcuts, I like races. Also I always liked the marathon races, which Paradise doesn't have. Also it has the most rubberbanding of any racing game I've ever played. Also there's no easy 'retry race' option. Also I'm sure I could think of more if I'd played it within the last two years.

Thanks to Swashbuckler for the retaliatory class of Worms Reloaded! Haven't played worms for aaaaaaages.

• Options
    I thought they added a retry option later? I haven't played Burnout Paradise in a while. From wikipedia:
    "While the game was well received, some reviewers were disappointed that there was no option to restart a race or event.[54] Instead the player had to either fail the event, or cancel the race by bringing the vehicle to a stop for a few seconds, and then return to the specific place on the map to try that particular race or event again. Criterion responded to this criticism by stating that they don't feel that this is a problem and that adding a "retry" option would introduce loading screens, which they "hate with a passion".[65] Despite this, the option to restart an event was later added to the game via a free software update."

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

The UI was redesigned from the ground up for Mass Effects 2 and 3 to support keyboard and mouse.

Except for the use/sprint/cover button. That remained one button for reasons unknown.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I thought they added a retry option later? I haven't played Burnout Paradise in a while. From wikipedia:
    "While the game was well received, some reviewers were disappointed that there was no option to restart a race or event.[54] Instead the player had to either fail the event, or cancel the race by bringing the vehicle to a stop for a few seconds, and then return to the specific place on the map to try that particular race or event again. Criterion responded to this criticism by stating that they don't feel that this is a problem and that adding a "retry" option would introduce loading screens, which they "hate with a passion".[65] Despite this, the option to restart an event was later added to the game via a free software update."

Maybe, like I said I haven't played it for ages.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Open ended apples versus tight, arcadey oranges, hmmm.

I kid of course. You could write a thesis comparing Takedown and Paradise. Both are excellent. Takedown is the more traditional, full Burnout experience.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Booo takedown. Yay 2.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So question about Dawn of War II, Last stand (retribution or no, doesn't matter). Is there any games I don't know about similar to this mode?

This is similar to Exterminatus mode in Space Marine, right?

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So question about Dawn of War II, Last stand (retribution or no, doesn't matter). Is there any games I don't know about similar to this mode?

I have not played Space Marine.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I have not played Space Marine.

Maybe someone who's played both can answer. :D

Last Stand is you (+/- team-mates) against waves of enemies, seeing how long you can survive, and getting persistent unlocks as you do better, allowing you to last longer, etc.?

If so, then Exterminatus mode is similar, from a 3P Shooter / Meleeish point of view.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    steam community die for anyone else?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Nope.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    For anybody interested, Ys: The Oath in Felghana will up next week with Achievements for just $15. . . as somebody who's never played any of the games I believe I'll be trying this out.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Damn. Now I have to get a controller. Steam getting Xseed/Falcom games? Damn, my pocket book cries.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I hope that when the sales on Steam blow the PSP sales for all regions totally out of the water, Falcom will take notice.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Someone sell me on this Burnout, I've not played a driving game since, urm, yeah.. Need for Speed 1? My GameBank(™) is still Ginormous but, this game intrigues me for some reason.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

The UI was redesigned from the ground up for Mass Effects 2 and 3 to support keyboard and mouse.

Except for the use/sprint/cover button. That remained one button for reasons unknown.
    And the hot bar swap ctd which was never fixed in me2

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I hope that when the sales on Steam blow the PSP sales for all regions totally out of the water, Falcom will take notice.

If it gets Xseed the $$$ to localize the rest of the Legend of Heroes TiTs series and the rest of Falcom's classics. I'll be happy.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Someone sell me on this Burnout, I've not played a driving game since, urm, yeah.. Need for Speed 1? My GameBank(™) is still Ginormous but, this game intrigues me for some reason.

Um, ok. It has...uh, cars what go fast.

....honestly, I just bought it earlier and I haven't played it yet. I fail at enabling.

This discussion has been closed.