As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Comics News] IV: The Voyage Home

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I think it's mostly about how a lot of art, especially Moebius', looks a lot better without inking, contrary to popular comic book wisdom.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Delduwath wrote: »

I'm still trying to figure out what it is that we learned today. Here are the various lessons that I can derive from this anecdote:
    1) Moebius hates inking; do not ask him to ink things.
    2) Moebius thinks that inking art makes it not-art; do not ask him to ink things.
    3) Moebius thinks that you should be satisfied with what you get, and not ask for more.
    4) Moebius thinks that asking an artist for a sketch and then asking them to do more work on the sketch is rude.

I'm not trying be a jerk, I seriously don't understand what lesson Moebius was trying to impart.

I'd definitely say three and four. If a brilliant artist, one of the great influential masters of a medium, gives you a free sketch, you don't ask for more.

If someone built you a free house, would you ask them add a deck, without so much as a, 'Please?'

Munch on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I am positive that the lessons there are three and four.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Sales numbers for February

DC won the top 10 again (Aquaman beat out B&R, whuuuut), but Marvel won both Dollar and Market share, primarily because the fifth week has nothing major to fill the spot.

Justice League #6 sold 135k, Batman #6 sold 128k, these are the only books to break six digits. The highest Marvel book was Uncanny #6 at 59k, 4k less than B&R #6. Captain Atom #6 is the lowest selling not-cancelled DC book at 13,698. Blue Beetle and Voodoo are only 2k and 1k higher selling.

The Twelve returned from years of delay to only get around 12-13k in sales, and I wonder if it would really be an evergreen seller in the TPB market like Marvel hopes.

Thunderbolts has fallen below 20k now, to around 19k, which is why I was shocked Thunderbolts won't just be outright cancelled in May, but just get a title change.

Defenders #3 continues to fall, at 33k in sales. Just for comparison, FF #15, the secondary F4 book dealing with kid heroes as the leads and a writer who is on the same level as Fraction in terms of notoriety, but with lesser known artists, sold 40k, only 2,000 less copies than F4 #603. Yet both spun out of big name stories and events. Either Marvel have truly succeeded in herding people to only care about books under the A or X umbrellas (that's not going to work out well long term), or they really misjudged interest in that book.

And to go with last month's sales numbers, Deadpool #49 had a big jump in sales, and we thought it might tie into some of Marvels 2 for 1 discounts, but it was actually the combined sales numbers for #49 and 49.1, so it was pretty much the same consistent seller it was over recent months.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    how are people not buying defenders!

what about iron fist, red she hulk, namor, silver surfer and dr. strange teaming up to battle mystic threats with fraction writing and multiple dodson's doing art doesn't seem like an awesome idea?

initiatefailure on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Thunderbolts will go over 20k again and stay there once this mind-numbing time travel arc is done.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

what about iron fist, red she hulk, namor, silver surfer and dr. strange teaming up to battle mystic threats doesn't seem like an awesome idea?

In a world where more people are buying Aquaman than Defenders, there is no logic to be found.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

what about iron fist, red she hulk, namor, silver surfer and dr. strange teaming up to battle mystic threats doesn't seem like an awesome idea?

i'd buy it
    if i could buy it digitally, and not just pay to read it,
    but actually buy the images so that i could cut the pages apart in paint and make lazy desktop wallpapers and whatever else i wanted to do with them, since you know, i bought them
    but i can't, unless i am missing something

http://www.comixology.com/Defenders-1/digital-comic/OCT110587

comixology makes you use an app to view images you can't actually download, right

DouglasDanger on
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular

i'd buy it
    if i could buy it digitally, and not just pay to read it,
    but actually buy the images so that i could cut the pages apart in paint and make lazy desktop wallpapers and whatever else i wanted to do with them, since you know, i bought them
    but i can't, unless i am missing something

http://www.comixology.com/Defenders-1/digital-comic/OCT110587

comixology makes you use an app to view images you can't actually download, right

You view them on the web, no app required (no downloading them on the pc yet though), as for saved jpgs just take a screenshot of your desktop when viewing the comic? That's how I do my MOTW "scans".

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah there is a print screen button on the keyboard

CYpGAPn.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    it is convoluted system based on paranoid delusions

tomato, tomato

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    It's just a case of ideology. Some people like to have all their comics floating in some nebulous collection of Internet servers, and they either accept or don't care that those comics are not 100% under their control. They get their digi-funnies, they get to view them from any device at any time, this is what they want, mission accomplished. Other people (and I will admit that I fall into this camp) want to have full control over whatever they shell out money for. They will probably have to do more work (downloading and personally archiving their comics), but if they lose their comics, they know it was their own fault, and not at the whims/carelessness of some other party.

My personal feeling if this: if I have to pay for every single issue that I buy, then I want to have full control over those issues. I want to get some image files on my hard drive that I can view even if I'm sitting inside a Faraday cage, I want to be able to view them on any computer, and I want to be able to make backup copies. On the other hand, if they will give me a monthly subscription for, I don't know, $10, and allow me full read-access to their entire catalog - even if it necessitates special viewers or whatever - I will probably take them up on that offer.

It's just a case of ideology. Some people like to have all their comics floating in some nebulous collection of Internet servers, and they either accept or don't care that those comics are not 100% under their control. They get their digi-funnies, they get to view them from any device at any time, this is what they want, mission accomplished. Other people (and I will admit that I fall into this camp) want to have full control over whatever they shell out money for. They will probably have to do more work (downloading and personally archiving their comics), but if they lose their comics, they know it was their own fault, and not at the whims/carelessness of some other party.

My personal feeling if this: if I have to pay for every single issue that I buy, then I want to have full control over those issues. I want to get some image files on my hard drive that I can view even if I'm sitting inside a Faraday cage, I want to be able to view them on any computer, and I want to be able to make backup copies. On the other hand, if they will give me a monthly subscription for, I don't know, $10, and allow me full read-access to their entire catalog - even if it necessitates special viewers or whatever - I will probably take them up on that offer.

While I understand this feeling, at the same time it is silly to think that if Comixology were to ever just stop, that Marvel / DC wouldnt have something in place for all the comics you bought from Comixology. But yeah, I can understand the need to physically own something, It was something I struggled with at first a couple of years ago.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    While I understand this feeling, at the same time it is silly to think that if Comixology were to ever just stop, that Marvel / DC wouldnt have something in place for all the comics you bought from Comixology. But yeah, I can understand the need to physically own something, It was something I struggled with at first a couple of years ago.

That's certainly possible. However, one thing I've learnt over the years is that the Big Two simply aren't good at evolving
    into different formats. Marvel's failed magazine, for example. They may try to fill in for Comixology were that be somehow disappear, I am skeptical they'd get anywhere near its quality. Not quickly, at any rate. Their rivalry will work against them, too. Rather then a single place for readers to get digital comics they'll get separate ones for Marvel & DC and indies will not be able to publish from either.

Harry Dresden on

I don't know if it's all that silly. I mean, it would certainly hurt them in the public eye to not provide some alternative means of accessing your comics, but that isn't the only factor involved. It's like when people say "If Valve ever goes under, they will have some way for you to still access your Steam games". I sincerely hope that that's the case, but there are so many factors at play, from legal to technical. Honestly, it's not even that I don't trust comiXology, Marvel, or DC; it's more that when I buy a thing and have it in my possession, I don't have to worry about whether I'll still be owning it in the future. If a digital comic book platform goes down (or if software license/DRM authentication servers are shut off, or whatever), then there are many things that can happen to prevent my digital goods from me. What if Marvel sells off the rights to the Fantastic Four, and then comiXology shuts down a year after that? My physical FF comics/images on my hard drive are unaffected, but my digital in-the-cloud FF comics might now be locked behind legal red tape.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but you need a persistent online connection to access your library on comiXology, right? That's also a bit annoying. It's true that I have a persistent internet connection almost everywhere, but the one place I do most of my reading - the hour-long subway ride home from work - keeps me underground, away from the 4Gs. Just the other day I was going home from seeing "John Carter" and wanted to read some "A Princess of Mars" on my phone. I previously started reading it on Google Books, but when I tried to launch it on the subway, it immediately closed, telling me that it couldn't access the (online) book. When I got topside, I downloaded it in EPUB format from the 'Net, and now don't have to worry about Books's online connectivity.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but you need a persistent online connection to access your library on comiXology, right? That's also a bit annoying. It's true that I have a persistent internet connection almost everywhere, but the one place I do most of my reading - the hour-long subway ride home from work - keeps me underground, away from the 4Gs. Just the other day I was going home from seeing "John Carter" and wanted to read some "A Princess of Mars" on my phone. I previously started reading it on Google Books, but when I tried to launch it on the subway, it immediately closed, telling me that it couldn't access the (online) book. When I got topside, I downloaded it in EPUB format from the 'Net, and now don't have to worry about Books's online connectivity.

I may be wrong but I don't think you do?

My tablet is always connected to the internet so I've never tryed but you need to download the comic onto your device first to read it so it's always there.

Maximum on

Well the phone/ tablet apps store the comics locally, so it would be no issue!

Ah, that's good.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

In a world where more people are buying Aquaman than Defenders, there is no logic to be found.

Defenders don't have Jim Lee & Geoff Johns for a creative team or Superman & Batman in the cast, that's why.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

Defenders don't have Jim Lee & Geoff Johns for a creative team or Superman & Batman in the cast, that's why.

Also, Fear Itself was the Apex of Fraction Fatigue, after Fear Itself was just baaaaaad, IIM just dragging for well over a year, and his Thor run being super polarizing.

Honestly, I like Defenders a lot, but I can see why right now people would ignore a book written by Matt Fraction, spinning out of Fear Itself, no matter how tangential the connecting thread may have ended up being.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Defenders has tigers flying spaceships tho!
    TIGERS FLYING SPACESHIPS!!!!!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    And it's written briskly, and it manages to balance Fraction's typical character focus and banter with actual bronze-age throwback plots. No decompression here (so far).

Also, the fucking layouts and the text in the margin are the best. It's a shame that around a third of them got cut off in my issue 4 :(

I'm having a bad Marvel week.

I can't wait to see what escaped from the Concordence Engine. Cannot wait.

huntresssig.jpg
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

detail.jpg
    http://marvel.com/news/story/18299/infernal_man-thing
    INFERNAL MAN-THING, a three-issue limited series beginning in June, will present the final Steve Gerber Man-Thing tale, a previously-unknown story that until recently remained only a wishful thought in the hearts and minds of his devotees. To illustrate such a landmark series, Marvel has brought in the equally-acclaimed Kevin Nowlan.

As good as that sounds, I'm glad it's $12 of stuff I don't have to pick up because it's tying into something.

huntresssig.jpg
    three issues? dammit. BUT THE LAST STEVE GERBER MAN-THING STORY WHOOOOO

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37533
    Bringing "Archer & Armstrong" back to modern comics is "Incredible Hercules" scribe Fred Van Lente. Alongside artist Clayton Henry, Van Lente is bringing Archer and Armstrong to the 21st century, hoping to start a movement of high adventure in comics.

WHY IS NOONE DISCUSSING THIS?

This is amazing! Easily jumped to top of my list for the Valiant relaunch.

Oh, and in the interview FVL mentioned that Eternal Warrior and Timewalker are going to be important in the relaunch as well. Hot damn!

That does sound great but

Clayton Henry is disgustingly slow

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Mark Waid and Chris Samnee to do a Rocketeer ongoing for IDW.

jeez Mark, aren't you stretching yourself kind of thin?

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Mark Waid and Chris Samnee to do a Rocketeer ongoing for IDW.

All my dicks and so forth.

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    jeez Mark, aren't you stretching yourself kind of thin?

Nah, Incorruptible and Irredeemable are both ending soon, so he should be able to take on this new book.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    It is a mini. Four issues.

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Ah. Well, still. WAID AND SAMNEE ON ROCKETEER!

I think I'd have to know what a Rocketeer is to be excited by that one.

huntresssig.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Dang, Arivia. The Rocketeer is a classic retro adventure comic, which was adapted in to a really good movie in 1991. You should definitely rent it sometime.

Centipede Damascus on
This discussion has been closed.