As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 3: Welcome To Our Thread, Here Are Your Complimentary Tasers and Cyanide Pills

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the end of that song always scares me

it always makes me think of A Day in the Life

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    royard wrote: »
    @takyris

Wow. People are actually rage-quitting SWTOR because of ME3 endings. One guild reported losing 10 members.

...This is truly getting ridiculous.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9912881

[EDIT]

HOLY COW. A group of people raised $27,000 to change the ending. In 24 hours.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9901463

One guy donated $10,000. ...Now I'm getting scared.

hahaha what

Listen

I don't like the ending

I would pay $10 for DLC that changed it

I might even pay $15

I would not pay $10000

• Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    @takyris

Wow. People are actually rage-quitting SWTOR because of ME3 endings. One guild reported losing 10 members.

[EDIT]

lol first world plobems, people need to chill it a fucking game.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've apathy-taken a break from TOR because of spending all of my gaming time on ME3.

Also I'm horrible about MMOs

• Options
    royardroyard Registered User regular
    @takyris

[EDIT]

hahaha what

Listen

I don't like the ending

I might even pay $15

I would not pay $10000

I agree with you. That's where the "scared" part comes from.

Irrefutable proof that the ME3 endings are visually similar. Good or bad is up to your interpretations and tastes. Visual similarity is not.
    2 minutes. No commentary. Spoiler obviously.
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Great song with an awkward and terrible last 15 seconds or so. Sounds familiar!

Also: http://www.gamespot.com/features/why-bioware-shouldnt-change-mass-effect-3s-ending-6366066/

I don't believe for a second that the people who don't like the ending represent a minority. And if money or time constraints were to blame for what happened, they have every right to change it if they now have the power to.

Francis Ford Coppola released re-edited versions of Apocalypse Now. Most famously, the original ending to Blade Runner was taken out completely in edits over the past 10 years. The final cut, now seen as the definitive version, is a completely different film from the theatrical version.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    put on this music (spoilers: ME3 ending tune), and imagine, if you will, an ordinary vanguard in firebase ghost

this vanguard is near the end of her life
    though she does not yet know it, she approaches the Ultimate Charge, the vanguard myth, the charge to which all other charges aspire

this charge goes to where there is only health
    where the shield never breaks
    where the cooldown never triggers.

nobody knows where those who accomplish the ultimate charge go. some say they are destroyed. some say they go on to birth new life with the purity of their impact. and others yet say that every person who goes on to the ultimate charge joins with the charge, and forevermore charges with all other vanguards.

this vanguard leaves the surly bonds of gravity. she charges harder, and charges faster. briefer are her cooldowns, stronger are her impacts. first she charges between assault troopers, unflinching. then she shoots across the map, charging an atlas without fear. then she charges to another city, and strikes a thug about to shoot a man in the act of robbery.

then, she charges into space. she charges satellites processing e-crimes, ships full of batarian slavers, vile Reapers. each charge is faster and stronger than the last, streaking across the galaxy, until she at last turns and charges away- a long streak of blue, burning a light away into the darkness of space. the Ultimate Charge. peace for all vanguards.

this is what just happened to Melding.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    @takyris

[EDIT]

hahaha what

Listen

I don't like the ending

I might even pay $15

I would not pay $10000

well that $10,000 is also for sick kids, then

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    my only concern about the hypothetical fantasy land where Bioware releases new ending DLC

is that if they bowed to demand and changed the ending

they might bow all the way and change it to a super fanservicey ending, which would be bad in a different way

• Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    So, uhhhh, I should be buying this game in a few hours, and this thought just reoccurred to me. They originally said the bonuses to galactic readiness are optional from multiplayer. Is it a save-by-save choice? Because my Renegade MaleShep run is pretty fucking close to 'Doom the galaxy' territory as of the end of ME2, and I don't want my enjoyment of multiplayer to unfuck that.

Artheleron.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Arth wrote: »
    So, uhhhh, I should be buying this game in a few hours, and this thought just reoccurred to me. They originally said the bonuses to galactic readiness are optional from multiplayer. Is it a save-by-save choice? Because my Renegade MaleShep run is pretty fucking close to 'Doom the galaxy' territory as of the end of ME2, and I don't want my enjoyment of multiplayer to unfuck that.

readiness slowly drops back down to 50%

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012

throughout the game you collect War Assets, which are represented by a military strength score. You also have galactic readiness, which is a percentage that goes up as you play the multiplayer and do some other galaxy at war stuff. The actual score that determines your ending is the product of those two numbers. So if you have 4000 War Assets but 50% Readiness, then you only get a score of 2000.

Readiness goes across all your saves but I think if you do a barebones playthrough and make poor choices you can still probably get a fucked ending.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited March 2012

No it's not. The percentage is shared across careers. If you do multiplayer extensively, you probably can't get the worst ending. (Until you wait a long time)

royard on
    Irrefutable proof that the ME3 endings are visually similar. Good or bad is up to your interpretations and tastes. Visual similarity is not.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

throughout the game you collect War Assets, which are represented by a military strength score. You also have galactic readiness, which is a percentage that goes up as you play the multiplayer and do some other galaxy at war stuff. The actual score that determines your ending is the product of those two numbers. So if you have 4000 War Assets but 50% Readiness, then you only get a score of 2000.

Readiness goes across all your saves but I think if you do a barebones playthrough and make poor choices you can still probably get a fucked ending.

The problem is you will get krogan, turian, asari, one of geth/quarian no matter what.

royard on
  • Options
    I am dissapointed at the lack of custom Shepard screenshots.

• Options
    I don't play on your devil computer

• Options
    Oh, I don't know, I fucked up my game -pretty- goddamn bad. Let the council die in 1, Gave TIM the base in 2, got Legion, Miranda, Jack, Thane, Grunt, Zaeed, Mordin And -possibly- Garrus killed in the suicide mission, never recruited Kasumi or Tali, may have killed Wrex in 1 (I can't remember if I did, and I never went to Tuchanka in 2, so he might be alive.) Ahh well. I can always save that playthrough for last once my multiplayer bonus dies down.

Artheleron.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh, I don't know, I fucked up my game -pretty- goddamn bad. Let the council die in 1, Gave TIM the base in 2, got Legion, Miranda, Jack, Thane, Grunt, Zaeed, Mordin And -possibly- Garrus killed in the suicide mission, never recruited Kasumi or Tali, may have killed Wrex in 1 (I can't remember if I did, and I never went to Tuchanka in 2, so he might be alive.) Ahh well. I can always save that playthrough for last once my multiplayer bonus dies down.

Don't even bother playing ME3 if you're going in with all of those characters dead. Would just be a barren experience. Re-do the suicide mission.

edit: or yeah just don't stick with it at all

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    @takyris

[EDIT]

hahaha what

Listen

I don't like the ending

I might even pay $15

I would not pay $10000

well that $10,000 is also for sick kids, then

oh yeah i clicked the link now

well at least they're putting their nerd rage to a good cause i guess

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »

Don't even bother playing ME3 if you're going in with all of those characters dead. Would just be a barren experience. Re-do the suicide mission.

I'll probably redo it just to see if I can finagle into only killing Miranda and Jacob. That was sort of the goal. It just... uhhh... didn't go so well is all. I'll probably do my first playthrough as my paragon male soldier, since that's how I started 2.

Artheleron.png
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    I have to get some stuff off my chest. I'm just marking it all as Spoilers:
    I loved the game. It was great, and absolutely worth the money I spent on the CE. Like most everyone it seems, my problem lies with the endings.

I would have been okay with an ending in which Shepard sacrifices herself for the good of humanity, and we got to see how all of the crew members lived afterward.

The endings seem pretty lazy and "WHAT A TWEEST" type schlockiness. I don't need everything to be rainbows and candy canes, but the plot made it seem as if everything you did was somewhat for naught. The people you care about, the things you've done, all gone. I just don't understand why they chose to pave over such an interesting and rich universe. I'm sad -- not because the ending is sad, but because of what could have been.

• Options

I'll probably redo it just to see if I can finagle into only killing Miranda and Jacob. That was sort of the goal. It just... uhhh... didn't go so well is all. I'll probably do my first playthrough as my paragon male soldier, since that's how I started 2.

Miranda? But... dat ass

• Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    This whole shitstorm is makeing me go into a supervillian, i really want to do to the internet what the joker did to gothem city in dark knight, but 10X worse.

i want a fight for the soul of the internet.

• Options

Miranda? But... dat ass

I was going for a 'Fuck Cerberus' vibe.... goddamnit! I'm reloading a mid-game save and romancing Miranda.

Artheleron.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    put on this music (spoilers: ME3 ending tune), and imagine, if you will, an ordinary vanguard in firebase ghost

this vanguard is near the end of her life
    though she does not yet know it, she approaches the Ultimate Charge, the vanguard myth, the charge to which all other charges aspire

this charge goes to where there is only health
    where the shield never breaks
    where the cooldown never triggers.

nobody knows where those who accomplish the ultimate charge go. some say they are destroyed. some say they go on to birth new life with the purity of their impact. and others yet say that every person who goes on to the ultimate charge joins with the charge, and forevermore charges with all other vanguards.

this vanguard leaves the surly bonds of gravity. she charges harder, and charges faster. briefer are her cooldowns, stronger are her impacts. first she charges between assault troopers, unflinching. then she shoots across the map, charging an atlas without fear. then she charges to another city, and strikes a thug about to shoot a man in the act of robbery.

then, she charges into space. she charges satellites processing e-crimes, ships full of batarian slavers, vile Reapers. each charge is faster and stronger than the last, streaking across the galaxy, until she at last turns and charges away- a long streak of blue, burning a light away into the darkness of space. the Ultimate Charge. peace for all vanguards.

this is what just happened to Melding.

We will remember you Celia Norman. you are one with the charge force now.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

Miranda? But... dat ass

I am pleased I have several playthroughs with her dead

Didn't really like the way she was done in 3

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Cyrondin wrote: »
    This whole shitstorm is makeing me go into a supervillian, i really want to do to the internet what the joker did to gothem city in dark knight, but 10X worse.

i want a fight for the soul of the internet.

Why?

I mean, there was an incredibly shit ending, and now nerds are mad, so they're donating money to charity.

A good ending would make me happier, and some of it is entitled whining, but thousands of dollars to a good cause beats the alternatives in my book. Nerdrage doing good is a pleasant change.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    my only concern about the hypothetical fantasy land where Bioware releases new ending DLC

is that if they bowed to demand and changed the ending

they might bow all the way and change it to a super fanservicey ending, which would be bad in a different way
    End of Effect.
    Now with disturbing scenes involving Ash/Kaidan's comatose body, Wrex goes out in the most undignified way, everyone dies, and all thats left of the universe is a giant EDI head.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Miranda? But... dat ass

I am pleased I have several playthroughs with her dead

Didn't really like the way she was done in 3

She could have been done better. She felt like kind of a drama queen in 3, with an issue that Shepard would have fixed in about 5 seconds flat if she just let him take care of business. I still don't regret continuing the romance since, as I've said before, she's the hottest chick in the ME franchise by miles.

Also, considering how graphic the violence is in this game, I really think that sex scenes in games like this need to take cues from The Witcher 2. If exploding heads and gibs is acceptable to show, sex should be too. Though the Liara romance conclusion was done really well after I saw a youtube video of that. Miranda's was extremely disappointing.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    "incredibly shit" is a matter of opinion

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Frumpy shep is frumpy
    nIWOG.jpg

• Options
    At any rate, I'm curious to see what will happen at the mass effect 3 panel at pax east.

Awkward.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    "incredibly shit" is a matter of opinion

Alright.

Change that to "Brilliant and fulfilling until the last five minutes, despite niggles, then incredibly flawed on every practical and conceptual level ending."

Because, really. It was bad.

• Options
    At any rate, I'm curious to see what will happen at the mass effect 3 panel at pax east.

Awkward.

My bet is panel canceled.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Frumpy shep is frumpy
    nIWOG.jpg

....I really want to see some sort of ME3 LP with a Liz Lemon inspired Shepard now...

Artheleron.png
  • Options

Awkward.

My bet is panel canceled.

i got money riding on someone in the back row screaming FOR TUCHANKA before riddling the panel with nerf bullets and being escorted off the premises

• Options
    Frumpy shep is frumpy
    nIWOG.jpg

....I really want to see some sort of ME3 LP with a Liz Lemon inspired Shepard now...

I want to go to there.

• Options
    I wonder why none of the reviews seem to address the ending. Do they lack the attachment to the story that we have or did they simply see no major problems with it

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I picked up a helmet on the last mission that's this goofy-ass riot gear looking thing

Shep looks like he's about to go play Space Hockey

I used the helmet that's basically a ski mask with glowing goggles - no nose/mouth/ears exposed - for pretty much the last half of the game.

At one point on the citadel, I got to a conversation with Liara and the mask stayed on the whole time. Not funny in itself, but the fact that Shep and Liara were kissing for the last 10 seconds of the scene was sort of amusing.

• Options
    Reviewers review the gameplay and general story.

This discussion has been closed.