As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Monday March 12, 2012 - Multiplicity

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited March 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-nwXkCmJ-XL.jpg

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    I thought this was a great comic... but...

First panel was great, and ended great.

Second panel you could tell was a transition panel, but still felt really good.

I think the third panel might have been my favorite of all, but the punctuation after the last word retroactively ruined every word of the previous three panels.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    What the hell happened to the first thread for this?

Specifically, Tycho's Shepard has an ostrich neck.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »

I think the third panel might have been my favorite of all, but the punctuation after the last word retroactively ruined every word of the previous three panels.

if this is a subtle dig at the supposedly-horrible ME3 ending, bravo.

(note: i still haven't played ME3, and i will KILL if anyone drops spoilers)

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular

I was afraid I was being too subtle, so thank you. :D

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I thought you were really upset about the use of "?!" rather than "!?" or whatever. Too subtle for me :P. Then again, people get nitpicky as fuck about grammar in these parts.

Srsly tho, so far the Mass Effect games haven't really lived up to the image they were selling of crafting your own unique story. This comic implies, and I have to settle for implications until I can get around to playing the dang game, that they have at last settled the narrative bill on all those choices we've been making.

• Options
    lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular

I was afraid I was being too subtle, so thank you. :D

There was a delay on me getting the joke but that made it all the better. :lol:

Well played good sir, well played.

• Options
    OtisWildOtisWild Registered User regular
    I'm still a bit depressed over the ending(s). I suppose that if I'm still feeling it days later, that means it's art.

I'm also curious to see how they'll handle DLC (over and above the launch DLC).

I don't think I can handle another runthru actually, though I have a few other ME2 save games (carried over from ME1 even!) that I could run thru.
    Perhaps this time around in mine the Quarians will survive, though they really were being rather dickish and needed to chill the fuck out.

• Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    I'm still a bit depressed over the ending(s). I suppose that if I'm still feeling it days later, that means it's art.
    I've been in a steady Angry/bitter/depressed funk for the last 3 days over the ME3 ending. And I don't just mean that I get that way when I actively think about the ending... it's just been my mood over the entire last 3 days because of the ending. I've been disapointed by bad endings to fictions, serries, movies, books, etc that i've enjoyed before, but I dont think i've ever been hit this hard by one. The let down is just so over the top compared to how attached I had gotten to those characters and setting. I dunno if would agree that makes it art. I'm just mad. Probably more then I can rationally justify being.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Frequent sequels is the bane of being late to jump into a series. Once part 3 comes out, all bets are off for spoilers on part 2.

Meanwhile, I have yet to play any Mass Effect games. :(

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I haven't played through it yet, but from the way people are complaining about it, I think I can make a pretty good guess as to what happens in the ending.
    While I can't say I'd be happy about it, I think it's a fine way to end this series. Everyone who was expecting a flowers-and-rainbows super special happy ending hasn't been paying much attention throughout the trilogy.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I liked the ending, i'm sick of every damned game ending the same way, something different was a nice change.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Frequent sequels is the bane of being late to jump into a series. Once part 3 comes out, all bets are off for spoilers on part 2.

Meanwhile, I have yet to play any Mass Effect games. :(

Well don't worry. There aren't really any spoilers in the comic. Things like a character dying, are up to you. It's just a gameplay element that you can get your squad killed. So it's not really part of the story that any specific character dies.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Everyone who was expecting a flowers-and-rainbows super special happy ending hasn't been paying much attention throughout the trilogy.

Maybe people just expected that the many choices they made during the course of three games would somehow matter at the end.

• Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I liked the ending, i'm sick of every damned game ending the same way, something different was a nice change.
    IDK the group of people I hang with all have pretty much the same consensus the ending of Mass Effect 3 is the same as the Original Deus Ex. It's like they were in a room and couldnt figure out what to do and said "Well what game did you like? Oh Deus Ex had a great end, lets do that one." YMMV of course

Seruko on
    "How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I haven't played through it yet, but from the way people are complaining about it, I think I can make a pretty good guess as to what happens in the ending.
    While I can't say I'd be happy about it, I think it's a fine way to end this series. Everyone who was expecting a flowers-and-rainbows super special happy ending hasn't been paying much attention throughout the trilogy.
    I can say with certainty your guess is wrong. It's not about a flowers and rainbows ending that has people mad at it. I'll explain under spoiler coverage:
    Shepard can either live or die in the ending depending on a number of factors. People are not mad just cuz 'shepard dies' or because the ending isn't "happy". The crux of the problem, is the ending does not reflect shepard's character where he/she meekly accepts one of 3 choices put before him/her without argument or defiance, flies in the face of a morality the game had been trying to impart (Particularly by Legion in ME2, but also by EDI), does not give any closure or resolution to individual character story threads, and is full of illogicallities and plot holes (WTF was the Normandy Going? How did your crewmembers that were just with you on earth end up on it?). It also makes major plot points completely irrelivent (The Illusive Man has no meaningful impact on the ending for example). And ultimately, the 'endings' share so many assets and have so many similarities that it feels dishonest to even try to claim that there are multiple endings, which diminishes the feeling that your choices had any impact.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ah, okay then.
    I thought it was
    (pure speculation)
    Shepard dying
    and / or
    (speculation based on mid-game spoilers)
    Earth being destroyed because the Crucible is too destructive

Kinda glad I was wrong then :P

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    LuDuxLuDux Registered User regular
    Mostly its:
    original.png