As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

YIPPY-KAI-YAY MOTHERFUCKER (Die Hard)

1235»

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    I hate to burst people's bubble, but watch the opening credits closely.
    Movie is adapted from "A Farewell to Arms."

So? How would that burst anyone's bubble? O_o
    Yeah. It's kinda an interesting read.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/5.05/netizen.html

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If I hear one more person say "this isn't a Die Hard movie" I'm going to strangle them. The only thing that really defines the first 3 is McClane getting this shit kicked out of him but still winning, which is exactly what happens here.

a post last page mentions that mclane could have walked away because they didn't have his wife or weren't directly after him... the ability to walk away is a luxury he doesn't have in the other movies.

the opening scene, where he is talking to his daughter, is so NOT mclane that it put me off right from the start.

I'm sorry that it pisses you off but this movie does not share almost any of what makes the others great. You can still like it all you want, but Die Hard movies are better than other action movies, and this wasn't.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited July 2007
    bombardier wrote: »
    Oh my God, we're having a fire! ... sale.

I couldn't stop giggling every time someone said fire sale.

that had me laughing, too.

Variable on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    I hate to burst people's bubble, but watch the opening credits closely.
    Movie is adapted from "A Farewell to Arms."
    Says so right before is "based on characters created by..."

EDIT: Not the book, a magazine article from Wired back in 97.

So? the original is based off a book. Even then, it really doesn't mean too much... it's just that if they even use one bit of the concept from a story/book, they credit it to cover their ass.

FyreWulff on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And the second one was based of another book that had nothing to do with Die Hard.

I don't think it felt like a Die Hard movie - even though I really enjoyed Live Free or Die Hard. Maybe that previous post about how McClane couldn't walk away from the other ones had something to do with it. Dunno.

Nova_C on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    And the second one was based of another book that had nothing to do with Die Hard.

I don't think it felt like a Die Hard movie - even though I really enjoyed Live Free or Die Hard. Maybe that previous post about how McClane couldn't walk away from the other ones had something to do with it. Dunno.
    He could have walked away in 3.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    edited July 2007

the dude was hunting him, personally. he could have walked away, but a lot of shit would have gone down and it would have been his fault.

edit - and before he got far he likely would have been killed.

Variable on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    bombardier wrote: »
    Oh my God, we're having a fire! ... sale.

I couldn't stop giggling every time someone said fire sale.

that had me laughing, too.

Even if America collapses, there's always money in the Frozen Bananna Stand. :winky:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »

the dude was hunting him, personally. he could have walked away, but a lot of shit would have gone down and it would have been his fault.

edit - and before he got far he likely would have been killed.

Not really, Simon just wanted the money. When they were on the boat at the end Zeus even asked what all of the theft had to do with killing McClain and simon just mentioned bonus's, the game with McClain was merely a distraction for the money. If McClain walked away before the boat then simon gets away with the money.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He could have walked away in 2.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    THATS WHAT MAKES HIM THAT GUY

I loved this movie.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    McClane is in his 50's in this movie. His 50's. It's understandable that he wouldn't be able to walk away as easily from things compared to before.

He was completely out of his element in this movie (HAXORS LOL), but he still managed to kick ass and take names.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The first one was better. But the new one kicked ass. Thus, I am satisfied.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Narian wrote: »

Sure would have been awesome when his wife died in a horrible plane crash.

YodaTuna on
    edited July 2007
    Narian wrote: »

Sure would have been awesome when his wife died in a horrible plane crash.

especially since no one believed how serious the situation was besides him.

and (at whoever mentioned it above) when would you have had him walk away in 3, considering up until justa bout the end he wasn't sure whether or not it had anything to do with him, and "simon" had many specific requirements of his AND the entire policeforce besides him was working on finding the bomb?

not that his ability to walk away or not is what broke this movie for me, ultimately.

edit - because we could obviously talk about it all day. I realize that.

Variable on
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This was a great action movie, and continued the spirit of the die hard movies for sure.

The entire theme of the die hard series is that John Mcclane is a tough son of a bitch. You can shoot him, cut him blow him up and he's gonna keep coming back. He's the good guy equlivalent to the old, if you can't find the body then he's not dead theme running throughout much of the bad guy universe. It's the same formula every time, it's just the square milage he covers gets bigger every time.

If you didn't like this movie well then, i have to ask you, why do you hate the troops?

Snarfmaster on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I went to see this with my Dad this afternoon. The cinema only contained other sets of Fathers with their sons (or possibly gay couples with large age differences) and a single straight couple who sat in the ghetto seats for some reason (for some reason new UK cinemas have seats on the flat section of the cinema, they are both too close to the screen and aren't elevated above those in front. They are only used as a last resort.)

Either way, it delivered exactly what it said on the tin. I do so love action films.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited July 2007
    Since the other Die hard topic got locked. I thought I'd bring this one back with a video I just checked out, perhaps I am late to the party with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOC5UbPnf54&mode=related&search=

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Since the other Die hard topic got locked. I thought I'd bring this one back with a video I just checked out, perhaps I am late to the party with this one.

They actually used that song in one of the later trailers they released for the movie. Pretty sweet.

YodaTuna on
    edited July 2007
    Really? That's awesome, I just thought it was a cool song/montage.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That was awesome. It seems it was made before the new movie was released. I hope they remake it when the DVD comes out or something.

xraydog on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

haha that is hilarious.

Aridhol on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's a cool video. Anyone know where I might find it in non-youtube-suck quality?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.