As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Tabletop Freeplay Thread

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I'm bringing 'Aye, Dark Overlord'.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • sheranosukesheranosuke Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I was wondering what TCG's people will be playing. I will be bringing decks for
    Yugioh
    Cardfight Vanguard
    Pokemon
    World of Warcraft
    VS Systems (Maybe)

sheranosuke on
  • FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    i'll def be playing warcraft. not sure if i'll bring cards or just enter beginners tourneys and get some that way.

• malicious nerdmalicious nerd NYRegistered User regular
    Pokemon. For sure.

PAX East 2012
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Time Off: [x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @maliciousnerd
    Gamertag: Fr3akyxAssAssIn
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    I'll be bringing:
    • Settlers (Plus XPAC)
    • Guillotine
    • Lunch Money

I just recently found my Pokemon collection from middle/high school. I feel like I probably could put together a deck but it'd all be ollllddd cards.
    That might be fun, though.

If I manage to buy them before the con
    • Cards Against Humanity
    • Red Dragon Inn

http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I may bring my Decipher SW CCG (pre-prequels) stuff again this year. I got a lot of comments on it at last East.
    I also have a significant amount of Marvel/DC Overpower that I may be bringing. I have some weak DBZ decks too, but probably won't bring those.

Really I won't know until I'm packing my car ;)

• joeyfixitjoeyfixit Registered User new member
    Anybody planning on running any Pathfinder Society games?

• ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    In addition to some official time with WotC, I'll be bringing the new Marvel RPG, and the working draft of Modern Assembly (a module that allows you to play Morden Fantasy games with the 4e ruleset).

• BrentNewhallBrentNewhall 21st Century Renaissance Man Registered User new member
    Fellow gamers! If you've ever wanted to know what really old-school role-playing is like, I plan to run a session of Original Dungeons & Dragons -- e.g., the supplement to Chainmail -- Saturday afternoon. I'll have six slots, and I can teach the game (no experience/materials required).

If anyone's interested, I can also try to run one of the weirder old RPGs: Empire of the Petal Throne, or Tekumél, run in a Mayan/Indian world of slavery, active gods, human sacrifice, monsters, massive underground ruins, and no nudity taboo. Also, almost every roll is percentile. I'll teach this game, too.

Who's interested?

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Fellow gamers! If you've ever wanted to know what really old-school role-playing is like, I plan to run a session of Original Dungeons & Dragons -- e.g., the supplement to Chainmail -- Saturday afternoon. I'll have six slots, and I can teach the game (no experience/materials required).

If anyone's interested, I can also try to run one of the weirder old RPGs: Empire of the Petal Throne, or Tekumél, run in a Mayan/Indian world of slavery, active gods, human sacrifice, monsters, massive underground ruins, and no nudity taboo. Also, almost every roll is percentile. I'll teach this game, too.

Who's interested?

The Mayan game sounds really interesting

• joeyfixitjoeyfixit Registered User new member

Who's interested?

So like, not AD&D, but the one before that? I might be interested. I have the rules somewhere, too.

If it's after the 5E discussion at 1.30-2.30, you can probably count me in. Can I roll something up beforehand or do you want to see the scores rolled firsthand?

• BrentNewhallBrentNewhall 21st Century Renaissance Man Registered User new member
    joeyfixit wrote: »
    So like, not AD&D, but the one before that? I might be interested. I have the rules somewhere, too.

Yup; this will be using the original 1973 rules.

You can absolutely roll up your character first. I do want to run a game in which everyone rolls their characters randomly. So, you roll 3d6, and that's your strength score, even if it's low and you want to play a fighter. Then you roll 3d6, and that's your intelligence. And so on.

As long as you keep it random, cool!

With that, I'm edging towards a 3:00pm Saturday game. Anyone else?

JerYnkFan wrote: »

Who's interested?

The Mayan game sounds really interesting

More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tékumel

• AsmodeusLoreAsmodeusLore Registered User regular
    Wodrith wrote: »
    My wife and I are very interested in getting involved with some table top games. So far Ive got her to play munchkin and zombies!!! Any Im very willing to pick up any new games as well. Havent got to play any DnD stye tabletops since college started. If you need players during the event, just let us know :D.

For anyone interested in some D&D, there will be an official area where Learn-To-Play games are being run pretty much non-stop during official Con Hours. If you've listened to the podcasts where the PA guys, Scott Kurtz, and Wil Wheaton play D&D, you can get a taste of that here.

I'll be there probably most of the con, along with several other great Dungeon Masters, who are happy to show you how the game works. Feel free to ask for me. My name is Mark, and I'd love to teach you the game.

• bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Fiancee and I will be up for playing most anything. Last year I drove up so I had space for my own games. This time around we are flying so I don't think we'll be bringing anything other than a Magic deck or two (if that - last year there was one in the swag bag)

Things I would bring if I had the space/Things I am excited to play:

Ascension, MTG, Settlers, D&D, Bananagrams, Betrayal at House on the Hill ( I don't remember if this was at the freeplay library last year.)

I might bring S'Quarrels.

We are getting into the Westin sometime late afternoon on Wednesday 4/4. Can't wait.

bushnrvn on
    PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    I'll be spending some time on Saturday in this area, and I'll probably have GoSu and Innovation with me. Both pretty easy to learn and a ton of fun, I'd be willing to teach either one.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    we're going on the crawl, but plan to play a lot of random stuff here and there out of the Westin - gotta remind myself to use the hashtag :P
    here is our tentative list - Blokus, catan, dominion, deck of regular cards, dominoes, zombie dice, pass the pigs, MTG, Ascension, maybe dominion, FLUXX, and anything else we find fun. thank god for the car @_@

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    Xiyla wrote: »
    If people are really interested, I can run a few one shots of Paranoia, Rifts, Lady Blackbird, and/or World of Darkness Thursday or late in the evenings during the weekend.

Kinda missed this message. I've had a few people interested in Paranoia as well. Maybe we can figure something out between us?

Also, I'd be in for Lady Blackbird if you can get enough people for that.

• jsh357jsh357 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I will be bringing Dominion with all expansions/promos, but will only be there Friday... (Saturday was sold out by the time I remembered to sign up)

jsh357 on
  • KazamagdKazamagd Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just trying to get a feel here. I have been playing American Mah Jong for several years now and one of my common complaints is that there are not enough people exposed to the game at a younger age to realize it's actually a pretty cool tabletop game. If I were to bring my set and enough cards to be able to teach people how to play, do you think there would be enough people interested in learning to make it worth my time? Or would I be sitting at at table alone for 2 hours with a "Learn Mah" sign with no takers. Keep in mind that to play properly you must have 4 people. Thanks for your thoughts!

Also, thanks for moving the thread to the proper place but it would have been nice to know the thread was being moved. Silly forum.

Kazamagd on
    PAX EAST 2014 Status: [x] 3-Day Pass [x] Hotel [x] Travel Plans [ ] Waiting Patiently
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    OMG yes! I vaguely remember my dad playing when I was little, but he doesn't have the tiles anymore. I have no idea how involved of a game it is though.

HI3789R.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I LOVE Mah Jong!! I would totally play.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    Hmm just had a thought. Are you coming to Pre-PAX gaming at the Westin on that Thursday? We could get our Mah Jong on early. ;)

• KazamagdKazamagd Registered User regular
    I will be checking in at the Westin early afternoon so definitely there for the pre-PAX gaming. Now we just need 2 more people. It would also help if you brought your card (if you have one).

PAX EAST 2014 Status: [x] 3-Day Pass [x] Hotel [x] Travel Plans [ ] Waiting Patiently
  • ErickaJoErickaJo MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'd love to learn. Thursday I will probably be running around Boston, dressed like a Pokemon... I take joy in that I won't be alone xD

• DeuceDMDeuceDM Registered User regular
    I will be helping to run a live Fourthcore Team Deathmatch tourney for anyone interested in playing a team PvP style of 4th Edition D&D. Matches to last an hour long, everyone is welcome to bring custom characters as long as they are point-buy legal.

Tourney will be on Saturday, in the free-play area whenever we can grab some tables, look for the group making the most noise and rocking our silly gooses off!
    Round #1 10:00am
    Round #2 1:00pm
    Final Round 4:00pm

The victorious team wins FTDM themed-dicebags (custom-made, from dragonchow), and copies of the Fourthcore Alphabet

For more info, hit me up on Twitter @DeuceDM

forumsig.jpg
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    I'll be in tabletop a LOT and will have a variety of games, including: pandemic, railway rivals (out of print), parade, piece of cake, hey that's my fish, citadels, merchants and maruders, et al. I am happy to loan out in exchange for something (so I know you'll come back!) except railway rivals, which if you borrow i'll have to make sure you sit near me as i'm not letting that super expensive out of print sucker out of my sights. y'all understand.

also, haven't read every post on this thread (busy at work today), but in case no one has posted it yet, WotC has posted the games they will be running at PAX here - http://www.wizards.com/dnd/feature.aspx?x=dnd/feature/paxeast2012

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    For anyone interested in some D&D, there will be an official area where Learn-To-Play games are being run pretty much non-stop during official Con Hours. If you've listened to the podcasts where the PA guys, Scott Kurtz, and Wil Wheaton play D&D, you can get a taste of that here.

Those games are exactly why I finally went out and bought some dice. I've really wanted to try but I've been too shy. I'm going to do my best to attend one of these! I'm relieved to hear there will be learning sessions.

Kazamagd wrote: »
    I will be checking in at the Westin early afternoon so definitely there for the pre-PAX gaming. Now we just need 2 more people. It would also help if you brought your card (if you have one).

It has been over a decade since I played so I don't have one. But we are also staying at the Westin so we will be there for gaming after pre-pax dinner. :)

• Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    I'm up for bring my Pokemon deck with me. Its out of block but its my only viable deck >.<

I was wondering: Does anyone know of or :GASP: play the old Dragon Ball Z CCG? A bunch of friends and I have recently started playing again and I'm itching to take on some new players. I doubt I'll find anyone, but I might as well throw out a challenge and this is the best place for it.

• sheranosukesheranosuke Registered User regular
    Kazamagd wrote: »
    Just trying to get a feel here. I have been playing American Mah Jong for several years now and one of my common complaints is that there are not enough people exposed to the game at a younger age to realize it's actually a pretty cool tabletop game. If I were to bring my set and enough cards to be able to teach people how to play, do you think there would be enough people interested in learning to make it worth my time? Or would I be sitting at at table alone for 2 hours with a "Learn Mah" sign with no takers. Keep in mind that to play properly you must have 4 people. Thanks for your thoughts!

Also, thanks for moving the thread to the proper place but it would have been nice to know the thread was being moved. Silly forum.

I actually wouldn't mind learning american style. I play Riichi (Japanese style) Mahjong, so the transition shouldn't be too bad.

• TryfanTryfan Registered User regular
    It's my 4th PAX, and have yet to try tabletop there. I'm an old school AD&D 2nd Ed. era player. I've got experience with the 1st ed. Vampire games as well as my fav, Cyberpunk 2020. All the RP'ing I've ever done has been over the course of many sessions and many weeks, if not months. I know it will depend on the adventure, but I am worried that if I get into a game, it's going to last 6 hours, and I'll either have to leave it to go to a panel, or stay and miss something I want to see.

I know you have to pick your battles (or mass amounts of "crap-I've-just-gotta-see") at PAX, but can someone give me an idea of what a time-constrained PAX game session would be like?

PSN/XBL/Twitter: tryfan2k2 3DS: 0645-5860-0116
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    Tryfan wrote: »
    It's my 4th PAX, and have yet to try tabletop there. I'm an old school AD&D 2nd Ed. era player. I've got experience with the 1st ed. Vampire games as well as my fav, Cyberpunk 2020. All the RP'ing I've ever done has been over the course of many sessions and many weeks, if not months. I know it will depend on the adventure, but I am worried that if I get into a game, it's going to last 6 hours, and I'll either have to leave it to go to a panel, or stay and miss something I want to see.

I know you have to pick your battles (or mass amounts of "crap-I've-just-gotta-see") at PAX, but can someone give me an idea of what a time-constrained PAX game session would be like?

They range from an hour to all weekend. Your best bet is to double check with the DM. Wizards of the Coast also runs a ton of sessions of varying length and complexity. I know I personally will be running one-shots of about two hours.

• XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    Izzie wrote: »
    I'll be bringing:
    • Settlers (Plus XPAC)
    • Guillotine
    • Lunch Money

Oh my, I haven't played Lunch Money in forever. I'll be bringing:

Cards Against Humanity
    We Didn't Playtest This at All
    Several Magic: the Gathering Commander decks

Also, I might try to throw together an old WoW TCG deck. I just have pre-Cryptozoic cards, though.

• ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    I'll be bringing Dominion, Seven Wonders, and Chez Geek. Also, I don't have much interest in playing it myself, but if anyone would like to try the Game of Thrones board game I would be willing to put it in trusted hands.

1EAFQ.gif
  • lefthandpunklefthandpunk Registered User regular
    I love the tabletop area. It was a favorite stop for friends and I between panels/events last year. Bringing a backpack with the following:

-Cards Against Humanity + Expansions
    -The Resistance (kind of like Mafia)
    -Chrononauts
    -We Didn't Playtest This + We Didn't Playtest This Either
    -Guillotine
    -Skulls & Roses (awesome bluffing game)
    -Z-Ward + Action Castle
    -Maaaaybe a munchkin game and/or zombie dice.

It's great because the backpack is actually surprisingly small yet fits all of the above no problem so there's a ton of stuff that's easy to play anywhere.

• GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Hrm, it seems I have more to say in this thread than I expected. So I'll try and split discussions up, I guess.

I will be bringing the Resident Evil Deck Building Game and Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil

Someone earlier mentioned the Penny Arcade DBG, and while I wasn't originally intending to bring it, I figured it might be a good idea.

As for the games themselves, well, they're actually the first DBG games I've played. Most people compare it to Dominion, but some folks I've spoken to mentioned that Dominion is very light on the player interaction aspect. I don't know how Ascension or Thunderstone compare.

I do know, however, that both ResiEvil and PA encourage Player Interaction, though in different ways. ResiEvil is definitely more strategic. It's all about optimizing your deck to as few cards as possible, trying to guarantee every hand is a good hand. At least, that's my friend's strategy for the default game (I played the Nightmare expansion once, which more fits my style of "OWN ALL THE CARDS", but I will not be bringing that expansion). Several characters specialize with certain weapons, so you may find yourself wanting to grab all of one kind of weapon card. Meanwhile, if you're a competing player, you may have to decide if you want to have those cards taking up space in your deck just so the other player cannot have it (if you're playing against Jill, yes, you want all those grenades in YOUR deck sitting there worthlessly, because they are detrimental to anyone else playing against her).

It's definitely a lot of fun, especially with three or four people. There are also alternate game modes, with Mercenary mode being better if you want to keep the game under an hour.

Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil is a lot lighter on strategy, and honestly I don't think it's as properly balanced, but it encourages player interaction a lot more and as such becomes a lot of fun in a different way. There's just someone pulling out a PvP Attack card like Laser Squid and having two players shout "Baby Ninja!" in defense, or three players all having TouchWeiners in their hand.

Either game is really easy to pick up and learn, though, which is probably why they have both gotten a lot more interest from my friends than the Ninja Burger card game, Munchkin Quest or Order of the Stick. The only game I know of that's as simple and quick to learn that I own is Mall of Horror, but I'm not going to be carrying that around.

On Battlestar Galactica

Someone mentioned it in here, and I must confess I'd be interested in playing. I confess, I'm not a fan of the television show at all, but I heard the game plays like a more refined version of Shadows Over Camelot. I only played that game once, but I loved it and thought it was a great time. So I might have to sit in and give the Battlestar Galactica game a whirl some point this weekend.

Westin Mezzanine Thursday Night

I'll be there, and definitely with both ResiEvil and PA:Gamers vs. Evil.

Tabletop Freeplay: GamersWithJobs

I'm pretty much an Internet Citizen of the GamersWithJobs forums, so if I'm in the tabletop freeplay area, I'll probably be in whatever corner these guys are set up at. However, last year I didn't even take one step close to the Tabletop section as I spent my time at either panels or in the expo hall. So I probably would most likely be found at Tabletop in the evenings as things start dying down.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • KalabajooieKalabajooie Registered User regular
    This will be my first expo of any kind ever, so I'm not even sure how to ask this. Will there be open games or workshops for D&D 4th Edition?

Every DM I know here insists on playing 3.5, which with its numerous supplements and rules, is similar to quantum physics: If you claim to understand it, you don't really understand it. Due to many misunderstandings regarding such supplemental rules (don't get me started on templates) I've played with people with characters so broken, the game is no longer fun.

Looking over the 4th Edition books, I like the newer system a lot better and it seems harder to break, but as nobody plays it (or wants to play it when they can't break it) where I live it's difficult to really get any experience. So I'd like to learn myself and hopefully gain enough experience that I can run a game and teach my wife and cohorts a superior, largely template-free system.

So will such a thing exist? Am I delusional? Is there a primer I should consult (aside from the core books) so that I can at least think that I know what people are talking about?

• hurricane_jackhurricane_jack Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Are you coming to PAX East? Do you like fun? come play some tabletop games!

Games on Demand is coming to PAX East this year, and we’d like you to join us. The event will be happening in the tabletop gaming area and we’ll be running games from 10am to 10pm or later on Friday and Saturday, and 10am to 6pm on Sunday.

We’ll have a great selection of indie and small press games running in 2 to 4 hour blocks, generally starting every two hours. Tell us what you like and we'll match you up with volunteer GMs ready to go with their favorite games. And if you’re interested in running games yourself, we’re always looking for more GMs, so feel free to bring something along.

What games will be there? That depends entirely on the GMs and what they have prepared to run. Here are some games you might expect to see:

Fiasco
    Bulldogs!
    Lady Blackbird
    Dungeon World
    Shab-al-Hiri Roach
    Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple
    Dogs in the Vineyard
    Apocalypse World
    Marvel Hero RPG
    Monsterhearts
    Burning Wheel
    Mouse Guard
    Cthulhu Dark
    Freemarket
    Microscope
    Inspectres
    Psi*Run

If you have questions, or would like to volunteer to run some games, leave a comment here or drop us a line let us know!

hurricane_jack on
  • ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    Do you need GMs to volunteer ahead of time?

I know I plan to be bringing Marvel Heroic RPG with me ready to run, but I'm not sure I was to nail down anything further just yet,