As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

• ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    In a recent interview with GameInformer, Christian Svensson talks very briefly about Street Fighter X Tekken's DLC being on the game disc.

Here is what he had to say.
    There’s been a recent explosion over Street Fighter X Tekken having downloadable content already on the disc. Was it more of a PR situation where you have to be better explaining to fans upfront what is going on with something like this?

It came down to a development process issue more than anything. I wish it had been done differently. I think it just becomes -- the rationality of what content costs to make and how you fund that content doesn’t come into play here for the consumer. It’s an emotional issue that I think we need to be sensitive to.

The other part of this is we could have had a better communication strategy around this back at the outset. Left to their own devices, consumers will always jump to the worst possible conclusion. I think what you’ll see in the coming weeks the conclusions that were jumped to were not the correct ones.

This is so true. Companies need to learn that this is 2012 and communication between people is faster and more direct than ever before. Sure on-disc DLC sucks, but it would have been more acceptable to have been told ahead of time that it was being distributed that way. Then again, with this advance knowledge, people may not have bought the game equaling less sales.

My opinion is that it's best not to piss off the fans. Gameplay complaints and moaning I can handle, writing off the company is something else entirely.

Capcom are surprised that locking out an entire game's worth of content on the disc pisses people off? Is this Christian guy stupid? Better communication my arse, they got caught with his fingers in the till. I don't really think knowing this was the case would have made it better - and they know this which is of course why there's no way in hell they would ever have made it clear that the extra 12 characters, moves, gems, colorus and costumes were locked for sale later, on top of the cost of the game.

In every conceivable way this situation is a joke. Of course Capcom don't care, these statements are a sop and frankly that just makes matter worse since they are not remotely going to relent on this. The customer got shafted here, end of.

And that doesn't compensate the people that brought the game beliving it had local coop for the online. Next time properly playtest your games ffs.

ghost whistler on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Mhm, 12 characters sure is an entire game's worth of content.

Even if Capcom released all the 'on-disc DLC' for free now, people would still complain. It's impressive, actually.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    None of Kuma's alternates are Panda wtf is this garbage Crapcom

YOU NEVER SAY NO TO PANDA

NEVER

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Walt wrote: »

NEVER

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular

NEVER

But I think one of Chun-Li's alts is so...win?

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    You'd think with the community outreach initiative that is Capcom-Unity, Capcom would have a reasonable idea of how their fanbase would react to this kind of thing. The one-two marketing disaster that is the gimped Xbox release and announcing the Vita exclusives half-a-year before its portable release (a move whose only consequence would be reduced sales for the home consoles) seems so pants-on-head retarded that it beggars belief that marketing professionals actually have any input at Capcom. If nothing else, the reaction to Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 was as clear a precedent to gauge the possible fan reaction to this sort of silliness as could be imagined.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    The "community reaction" is like 2.5% of their playerbase complaining in a void.

Fighting game are geared for day 1 sales just like every other game. When the dlc is actually available and people have a chance to vote with their wallet then they'll see if anyone actually cares. And people will buy the dlc and Capcom will make their money and continue to not care what a small minority thinks should be done with their games.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Even if Capcom released all the 'on-disc DLC' for free now, people would still complain. It's impressive, actually.

This. I'm really interested if people would still complain if the DLC characters (not costumes/colors) were free. The fact that the Vita version has the characters proves that Sony paid Capcom for exclusive rights to the characters to push the Vita. Can't blame Capcom for taking the money. What you CAN blame Capcom for is not telling everyone that the characters were a timed Sony Vita exclusive and giving us a approximate date as to when we will get our hands on them.

The entire situation was handled poorly. The characters being on disc isn't anything new though. That's been going on all over the place for quite a while now and not just in fighting games. Ah well.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Are we sure the vita characters are free?

I thought that Jill and shuma were mentioned as in the vita release which I assumed meant free but those were paid.

steam_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Any update on what character is looking to be mix-up heavy?

steam_sig.png
    Ibuki, Abel, every Tekken character

Sorry, what is impressive? Your post is just confused. Are you seriously suggesting that if capcom fixed all the shit they caused people would still complain about it? Is that a joke or are you just stupid?

You'd think with the community outreach initiative that is Capcom-Unity, Capcom would have a reasonable idea of how their fanbase would react to this kind of thing. The one-two marketing disaster that is the gimped Xbox release and announcing the Vita exclusives half-a-year before its portable release (a move whose only consequence would be reduced sales for the home consoles) seems so pants-on-head retarded that it beggars belief that marketing professionals actually have any input at Capcom. If nothing else, the reaction to Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 was as clear a precedent to gauge the possible fan reaction to this sort of silliness as could be imagined.
    Indeed. So the obvious conclusion is that capcom are not stupid, they simply don't care. Consequently the likelihood of them doing anything that's actually going to appease the situation is somewhere between zero and none.

Page- wrote: »
    The "community reaction" is like 2.5% of their playerbase complaining in a void.

Fighting game are geared for day 1 sales just like every other game. When the dlc is actually available and people have a chance to vote with their wallet then they'll see if anyone actually cares. And people will buy the dlc and Capcom will make their money and continue to not care what a small minority thinks should be done with their games.
    I certainly won't buy another capcom game. I think they've double dipped once too oftne. The coop issue doesn't affect me. The roster is still quite large out the box and even though the customise option is a joke (grey or dark grey today sir?) I think it's just taking the piss to lock that much content. 12 characters is just ridiculous. I think most people would be more forgiving if it were a lot less. I wouldn't even mind locking the costumes since that's purely cosmetic. It's still petty. But 12 characters and all the gems is a step too far for me. Their response today is just garbage that manages to avoid the issue and blame the fans. They don't care.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ibuki, Abel, every Tekken character

Really? I am coming from SSFIV

and missing sakura dearly.

steam_sig.png
    capcom trolls and antagonizes their fanbase? this isn't 10 year old news or anything

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

Sorry, what is impressive? Your post is just confused. Are you seriously suggesting that if capcom fixed all the shit they caused people would still complain about it? Is that a joke or are you just stupid?
    Yes. People would claim that the only reason Capcom gave the DLC out for free was because they were trying to save face, and that deep down, Capcom wanted to bleed their customers dry because Capcom hates their fanbase.

I mean, that's pretty much the conclusion everyone has jumped to already, and at this point people (at least, the vocal minority of idiots) will froth at the mouth and whine about anything Capcom does going forward.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • RobotSpammerRobotSpammer Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What is the preferred method to build a foundation when starting a new fighting game? Is it to jump straight online and learn through the pain? I'm considering getting this game and want to avoid the mistakes of the past, trying to learn how to run before I can even walk.

RobotSpammer on
    steam_sig.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    learn your characters specials, nomals, and chains

then go online

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    You mean "Oh look another infinite."

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Are there already infinites?

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Are there already infinites?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8aJgB2IJHM

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Finding these infinites is a good thing so they can (presumably) get patched out later.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Have they talked about balance patches?

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Have they talked about balance patches?

Not yet. Though Seth Killian hinted at some announcements today, though I haven't seen any yet.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    edited March 2012
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Finding these infinites is a good thing so they can (presumably) get patched out later.

Patched out later.

For $39.99.

In Hyper Street Fighter x Tekken.

I'd rather infinites not exist in the first place, especially for one move repitition ones like Xiaoyu's. It just makes the game seem as lazily designed as Mortal Kombat, and that's not a good thing.

Also patches cost money. A lot of money. First patch is free but unless they have some online patch delivery system (which can screw over tournaments if you need to be online for the patch to be active), then each subsequent patch will cost Capcom quite a bit of money and they'll be more reluctant to patch things as it goes on. Sure it's better to find infinites earlier than later, but also each infinite found could delay patches as Capcom would want to put as many fixes into one patch as they can.

Antihippy, last I heard they had a patch in the works but it's been delayed for unspecified reasons.

B:L on
    I dunno, broken doesn't usually mean bad, or at least not fun, but time draining infinite loops are pretty boring.

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »

SFIV never gave me issues online except randoms every once in a long while. The matches we played, Masume, I had no issues besides the shitty sound.

It's been a bit, I just recall a lot of crappy connection issues with old SF4. Still, probably better than this. Our matches went pretty well thankfully, but stuff like that is inconsistent.

Mic came in btw, I'll be making lobbies tonight. :P

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    edited March 2012
    RajmanGamingHD uploaded a video showing that a couple of the Street Fighter X Tekken DLC costumes are available on the European Playstation Network store. Interestingly enough, these costumes are sold individually for £0.79 which comes to about $0.99 in U.S. currency.

I would test it on the US Store, but I can't sign into PSN for some reason.

AuburnTiger on
  • KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I haven't gotten around to trying this out yet, but I'll probably import it once it's dropped down a little bit.

With the whole DLC character fiasco, are the DLC characters included in the strategy guide at all? I know the DLC chars are included in the UMvC3 one. If they're not, then it's a bit bleh for those that buy it.

PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    The whole "DLC on the Disc" thing aside for a moment, $1 per costume is actually pretty reasonable.

I'd imagine there will be a bulk discount for those who really do want all 40ish costumes.

XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
    edited March 2012
    If $1 is indeed the price, I like this plan much more than past ones. I never liked buying a pack containing costumes for 3 characters I never used. This way I can buy Juri's nurse costume and . . . what other ones are there, again?

Edit: They're not in the US Store.

AuburnTiger on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I don't really care about the characters as I thought the base game has a perfectly reasonable number and variety of chars. It does really annoy me that they are charging for custom colors instead of just doing a color wheel.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    If $1 is indeed the price, I like this plan much more than past ones. I never liked buying a pack containing costumes for 3 characters I never used. This way I can buy Juri's nurse costume and . . . what other ones are there, again?

Edit: They're not in the US Store.

Kuma's R. Mika costume is certainly worth the price, if for nothing else but the lol-factor.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Some nice play on the big 2 stream so far. I really need to find my second and get out of playing trials for my entire play sessions. Lol. Kind of liking Bob.

steam_sig.png
  • DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    Wait, so even the extra colors are going to cost money?

Wait, so even the extra colors are going to cost money?

if this is true, that's bullshit. more colors don't take any work for them!

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    Supposedly the Colors will be free basically as a "Hey we got this store over here... Just saying" bait.

steam_sig.png
  • DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    I don't really care about the characters as I thought the base game has a perfectly reasonable number and variety of chars. It does really annoy me that they are charging for custom colors instead of just doing a color wheel.

This was the quote that confused me. I hope they don't charge for them. Not that I'll be playing much anyway.