As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW Credit Card Fraud : Out of fucking control

• naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm still confused as to how someone else ended up with your card details.

Unless you're over 40, there really isn't an excuse to fall for phishing.

naporeon on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    that's odd. I thought you'd be able to stop payments from your own credit card, no matter the account. It also doesn't matter now, since you canceled that card?

Or are you complaining because they aren't compensating you for it?

Unfortunately alot of people use debit/credit and the banks aren't calling them in to doublecheck suspicious charges. I think 5 one month subscriptions bought all at once is pretty fucking suspicious...

Also, you can't stop a charge once it's been made. The payment is in transit and neither side wants to put a halt on it. They basically force you to pay for the loss and file for fraud. Blizzard sent proof that it wasn't my account making the charge so we should be re-imbursed... that doesn't change the fact that they're sitting on hundreds of thousands of stolen dollars and doing nothing to stop it :lol: What assholes.

Wells Fargo is pretty good about taking care of these things for me :twisted::twisted::twisted:

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just got hit with over 100 dollars in unauthorized subscription fees from Blizzard entertainment. Called the bank up and cancelled my fucking card only to learn that there were two other charges from Apple.com

I am not looking forward to seeing the final damage of this, I am especially nervous about the purchases from Apple.com, they were made days ago but the actual dollar amount still hasnt shown up on my transactions.

Apparently, thousands of people are getting fucked over like this.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=450004

If any of you have WoW accounts and a Visa credit card, or have purchased any NCsoft games as well, I recommend checking your information regularly. Apparently Blizzard AND the Bank both admit that this fraud is booming.

:x It's a very dirty feeling having hundreds of dollars stolen right out of your account and knowing there's nothing you can do. I am filing for fraud but doubt that anyone is going to re-imburse me. I'm also a little disgusted at the fact that all the payments are 'pending' but cannot be stopped.

Anyone else going through this?

That sucks dude, I everything works out okay.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • danielof2k6danielof2k6 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Wise_a wrote: »
    One time I had a WOW account. It was for a couple months. I cancelled it, but not before they tried that shit with me as well.

Luckily, in the US most banks offer a feature called "fraud protection". Also, just about all credit cards offer this as well. It means that you are not liable for fraudulent charges (so I didn't have to pay shit).

If you don't have this feature, you probably hate freedom.

Fraud protection means they either watch for suspicious charges,
    or let the charges go through and expect you to catch it yourself then do paperwork and jump through hoops to prove it was fraud.

:x

danielof2k6 on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dude your bank sucks just admit it

Faricazy on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    fuck

i just signed up yesterday

Garlic Bread on
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited July 2007
    it's probably just some dudes at the bank

"hey this guy plays wow, let's fuck with him so he'll go whining about it on internet forums"

Menace on
  • scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is this thread now about phallic vegetables?
    763021031_d22d1ab128_b.jpg

Yes it is.

scarlet ave. on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nogs wrote: »
    martinLogo.jpg

Guys, guys.

Martin Lewis is on this.

Everything will be fine.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    fuck

i just signed up yesterday

ABORT

Menace on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ITT photoshop the U of M's advertising promos.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    naporeon wrote: »
    I'm still confused as to how someone else ended up with your card details.

Unless you're over 40, there really isn't an excuse to fall for phishing.

The banks know all about this. So does blizzard.

Blizzard was hacked last month apparently and the database of CC #'s from transactions is being sifted through. The hackers do a random generator and pick out as many numbers as they can.

Basically Blizzard is getting fucked in the ass and loving it because it's making them money. The credit card fraud is taking place within their system, the transactions which we are all comfortable with making are still secure. it's their bullshit system that is allowing this to happen.

So basically: If you have an account with Blizzard your CC number is just another fish in a barrel. It's totally random who gets hit and who doesn't.

danielof2k6 on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmmmm... can this also happen if your account is cancelled? I cancelled my account last month but there's about $350 dollars on my credit card of questionable origin. I can't look at the statement yet to find out where it came from. What should I do about this?

KalTorak on
    edited July 2007
    submit your single greatest question here.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Menace wrote: »
    it's probably just some dudes at the bank

"hey this guy plays wow, let's fuck with him so he'll go whining about it on internet forums"

This is for ganking me outside Southshore, Shadoeblayde!

Javen on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is this thread now about phallic vegetables?
    763021031_d22d1ab128_b.jpg

Yes it is.

Ahahahahaha

Meissnerd on
    edited July 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »
    my bank is not retarded and when my dad had these problems they refunded the money right away

hell, twice they called HIM to let him know that there has been a compromise and they are sending him a new card

basically your bank sucks and you suck for using it

Fuck you, bitch.

danielof2k6 on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    i just clicked my pending transactions and saw "BLIZZARD ENT" and freaked the fuck out but it's for $1.00

do i have to pay $1 for my account?

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    that's because if they reverse it, they would be helping with the fraud

the bank has to handle this, and the feds through the bank

Oh yeah 'Blizzard can't stop the fraud because that would be HELPING the fraud'

How about you stop pretending you have any idea wtf you're talking about. :|

danielof2k6 on
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited July 2007
    wait

so you really think Blizzard is happy that someone compromised their security just because they are making a profit off it right at the moment?

Menace on
    edited July 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TFS what is a 1,00$

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited July 2007
    i just clicked my pending transactions and saw "BLIZZARD ENT" and freaked the fuck out but it's for $1.00

No they do that to make sure you card is valid, that 1,00$ will be back soon

good

i need a pack of gum

Garlic Bread on
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    how many is one thousand and dollar sign?

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    my bank is not retarded and when my dad had these problems they refunded the money right away

hell, twice they called HIM to let him know that there has been a compromise and they are sending him a new card

Fuck you, bitch.

Ha! You suck, number guy. There isn't some crazy conspiracy out there between blizzard and banks to strip you of your fathers hard earned monies.

You are dumb.

Wise_a on
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited July 2007
    ONE COMMA ZERO ZERO DOLLARS

Menace on
    edited July 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Hmmmm... can this also happen if your account is cancelled? I cancelled my account last month but there's about $350 dollars on my credit card of questionable origin. I can't look at the statement yet to find out where it came from. What should I do about this?

YES.

My account had been cancelled for over 3 months and I got hit. So all Blizzard customers, past and present, are susceptible to this. :lol: At least I'm not alone.

danielof2k6 on
  • NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It's a check hold that blizzard uses to verify the account. The $1 never actually goes through as a charge.

Many other companies do this. It's similar to what PayPal does with depositing random amounts of cents into accounts to verify that yes, they are real.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

That's actually the result of a kind of complicated system.
    Eggplant-Little-Finger.jpg

scarlet ave. on
    edited July 2007

That's actually the result of a kind of complicated system.
    Eggplant-Little-Finger.jpg

This made me giggle.

Wise_a on
    edited July 2007
    Menace wrote: »
    wait

so you really think Blizzard is happy that someone compromised their security just because they are making a profit off it right at the moment?

:| Blizzard isn't getting ripped off. Customers and their CC numbers are. I don't see any reason why they should be upset about this... they obviously haven't put a stop to the fraud charges.

One month subscriptions are being bought in bundles by ripped off CC numbers,
    Blizzard is not refusing these purchases or investigating them. Come to your own conclusion mofo.

danielof2k6 on
    edited July 2007
    ITT photoshop the U of M's advertising promos.

questionjo3.jpg

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    edited July 2007

If you don't remember buying anything from Blizzard in the past week ,

expect to see a batch of 20 dollar charges popping up in the next day or so. The 1.00 is just a transaction fee.

danielof2k6 on
    edited July 2007

[Deleted User] on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    that's because if they reverse it, they would be helping with the fraud

the bank has to handle this, and the feds through the bank

Oh yeah 'Blizzard can't stop the fraud because that would be HELPING the fraud'

How about you stop pretending you have any idea wtf you're talking about. :|
    They have to leave the transaction intact so the bank can look at it. When the bank is done, the bank will reverse it.

Faricazy on
  • NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also my bank and my credit card company have backed me 100% when there has been an issue of fraud.

A year ago, my Wachovia account got charged for $1,059 (definitely an overdraft for my checking). I called within 24 of it happening, told them that I have no idea what company charged it. They gave me the 1-800 # that the charge came from, and we both called to check and didn't get a hold of a human voice, so they voided the transaction and opened an investigation on the company.

And CitiBank cancelled my card and sent me a new one after an eBay Wii fiasco.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Wise_a wrote: »

Fuck you, bitch.

Ha! You suck, number guy. There isn't some crazy conspiracy out there between blizzard and banks to strip you of your fathers hard earned monies.

You are dumb.

lol, now credit card fraud is a conspiracy. Okaaaay...

danielof2k6 on
    edited July 2007

If you don't remember buying anything from Blizzard in the past week ,

expect to see a batch of 20 dollar charges popping up in the next day or so. The 1.00 is just a transaction fee.

You, sir, are a banking whiz.

I imagine you sitting in your office right now, with your slicked back hair, typing out conspiracy theories between baited breath.

In reality, you are a baby.

Possibly canadian also.

Wise_a on
    edited July 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »

YES.

My account had been cancelled for over 3 months and I got hit. So all Blizzard customers, past and present, are susceptible to this. :lol: At least I'm not alone.
    what did you just do here

Don't try to talk to me like you're somebody.

You aren't shit to me.

Got that?

danielof2k6 on