As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Yeah I like that whole video, especially the dumb experiemnts at the start.

I'll have to get it, my girl loves Angry Birds, and that does look like great fun.

fragglefart.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Just tried out the Bard's Tale (classic 80s version) that comes bundled with the newer Bard's Tale on my iPhone. It's definitely an iPad player. To get the arrow keys up, it reduces the viewing screen to a minuscule size.

Funny thing about it. When you first start it, it asks if you want to import characters from Ultima, Wizardry, or another game just like it did back in the day.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    Draw something is ridiculously addictive

That too. I love the metagame I've developed with my friends and family to see who can draw the mode uselessly complex and elaborate scene before finally drawing the item in question.

I've turned it into jeopardy. Some of my friends are unhappy about this but screw em. :p

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone got their hands on the new iPad early, and the RAM has been increased to a gig.

YL9WnCY.png
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Strategy section needs more Starbase Orion. It's basically Master of Orion, but fits in your pocket and has built-in asynchronous multiplayer.

edited March 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Someone got their hands on the new iPad early, and the RAM has been increased to a gig.

Really? How do we know? Cool if true! I mean, it could do with more, but that's double the iPad2.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Really? How do we know? Cool if true! I mean, it could do with more, but that's double the iPad2.

http://www.cultofmac.com/152580/early-benchmark-tests-for-new-ipad-confirm-1gb-of-ram-same-processor-speed/

steam_sig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    Strategy section needs more Starbase Orion. It's basically Master of Orion, but fits in your pocket and has built-in asynchronous multiplayer.

By that same vein, I'd recommend Ascendacy as well. Though ship-to-ship combat takes a bit to get used to on the touch face.

newSig.jpg
    edited March 2012
    EA confirms they're working on retina updates to Real Racing 2 and Mass Effect Infiltrator. PopCap is also working on updating apps as well.

EDIT: And for those waiting for their first ever iPads, Angry Birds HD is on sale for $3 (normally $5).

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    Picked up Smash Cops through FreeMyApps. It's pretty damn fun!

The initial package is pretty short though, it didn't take me that long to 5-star the 20 included missions. The game says "New missions coming soon" so hopefully they offer good post-release support.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Annnnd Word Fighter delayed again.

Burnout Crash, the other game I've been waiting for, is finally coming out in April supposedly.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    EA confirms they're working on retina updates to Real Racing 2 and Mass Effect Infiltrator. PopCap is also working on updating apps as well.

EDIT: And for those waiting for their first ever iPads, Angry Birds HD is on sale for $3 (normally $5).

is angry birds hd gonna be retina?

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Draw Something is my new crack. iPad coupled with a stylus makes it infinitely more fun. I tend to go a little overboard with my drawings.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Draw Something is my new crack. iPad coupled with a stylus makes it infinitely more fun. I tend to go a little overboard with my drawings.

The point of the game is to see how complex of a scene you can weave before you finally point out the object that your opponent should be guessing.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

The point of the game is to see how complex of a scene you can weave before you finally point out the object that your opponent should be guessing.

I think my friends hate me because this is how I play. if I had a stylus it'd be even worse though.

I would be very incredibly shocked if it does not get updated. I would expect within a month at best, "eventually" at worst.

steam_sig.png
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I play the same. I drew an entire head, detailing the mustache and goatee and eyes and all that before drawing an arrow pointing at the sideburn.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Ugh my iPad is in PA and has been since last Friday. I am frothing. Good thing I'm ducking out of work at noon on the 16th.

It's my 1st iPad (I was waiting for the high resolution screen) and I'm super excited.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

I would be very incredibly shocked if it does not get updated. I would expect within a month at best, "eventually" at worst.
    yeah, I expect it will get updated too

shit I don't wanna buy more angry birds but...

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*

yeah, I expect it will get updated too

shit I don't wanna buy more angry birds but...

I have all 3 on my Droid X and I paid for exactly 0 of them. I'm happy to finally toss a bit o scratch at Rovio.

steam_sig.png
    I have all the iPhone ones but thy look ehh blown up

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh for whoever was wondering, the Mass Effect 3 Datapad is up. In addition to the codex and general news for the main game, you can apparently play mini-games to increase your Galaxy at War rating and "get updates from your favorite characters."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Man, why don't more games have tie-in iPad apps. Kind of like the Mass Effect 3 Datapad. Something like a combination codex/strategy guide with interactivity. I'd buy those for every single game ever.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm very pleased with the Datapad. Surprised that it's free. Getting emails from characters as you play ME3 is neat, and upping the Readiness is a cinch (easier than doing it via Infiltrator).

Speaking of Infiltrator: expect to hit a difficulty wall 2/3 of the way through. You'll then have to either replay the game to earn credits for upgrades, or spend real money on upgrades. Ugh. It's like Infinity Blade but not knowing up front what you signed up for.

steam_sig.png
  • SaarSaar Registered User regular

Are the additional Angry Birds (Seasons, Rio, etc) add ons to the original app (IAP or otherwise) or standalone apps?

They are their own apps.

steam_sig.png
    Do you usually see original prices when something is on sale?

I ask because I have no idea if Angry Birds is on sale in the UK Store, it's just £1.99

fragglefart.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    No you need to check some of those price notification sites like app shopper if you want historical price data

steam_sig.png
    App Shopper is a great way to get notifications of sales on things that you're waiting for a price drop on.

steam_sig.png
    Aha, that's awesome, cheers!

fragglefart.jpg
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I've been playing Chaos Rings lately, which I bought almost two years ago when it launched and never got very far in. I'm surprised it's not on your RPG list. It's good, and tailor-made for the iPhone, which I think is a pretty good thing. They even added voice acting! I believe the sequel comes out today. (Just checked, it does, and holy moley 2000 yen on the Japanese store! o_O )

Anyway, does anyone have any non-port JRPG recommendations for iOS?

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I had a couple on my 3G, but upgrading to a 3Gs caused me to delete a bunch of stuff. There is one that is definitely old school 8-/16-bit style that's original, but I can't remember the title.

Also, because you can never have enough Jack in your life, there's a single player version of YDKJ on the app store.
    24 delicious 20-minute ish episodes.

newSig.jpg
    Oh, I also have a quick question. Is there an easy way to preserve save game data from iPhone games? I always feel like every update/upgrade/et cetera is just a slight hiccup away from erasing all the progress I've made in my games. It would be supremely excellent to be able to back up individual games' saves. Especially (J)RPG data.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    I think that backing up to your computer and/or Cloud does the trick.

I've never liked that saves are attached to the app itself.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Vegan wrote: »
    I think that backing up to your computer and/or Cloud does the trick.

I've never liked that saves are attached to the app itself.

Agreed. I wish I could delete Angry Birds without having to worry about replaying hours of it if I ever decide to redownload it after a future update. It'd be great if saves were just tied to your Gamecenter account.

minor incident on
    I'd be fine with the saves being tied to "your" copy of the app, even. That way as long as you synched to your computer, you could download the app in the same state it was on your iPhone.

I suppose that wouldn't work with updates though. I know backups more or less work, but it would be more convenient to be able to backup piecemeal, eh? It's one of the reasons I can't really take the iPhone all that seriously (as a game device).

edited March 2012
    Looks like Chaos Rings and Omega finally went on sale to commemorate the new game. They're dirt cheap (relatively) now. Looks like I'l pick up Omega while the gettins good.

astronautcowboy3 on
    edited March 2012
    Sheesh, a triple post. I'm really sorry dudes.

astronautcowboy3 on
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, Chaos Rings II is $18. Square is really pushing it.

But yeah, Chaos Rings 1 and Omega are really cheap now. Is Omega like, a semi-sequel to 1? Or what's going on there?

• rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    I'm still enjoying Adventure Bar Story. It's scratching a couple different itches for me and I actually like the controls opposed to the people I hear complaing about them overlaying a D-pad and an OK button, they don't bother me a bit.

I think I'm on day 14 or so, not too far in, past the first cave and am headed to the port town of Lar. It could stand to be a little deeper, but for the price it's great.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
This discussion has been closed.