As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Skyrim thread for adventurers who don't think jokes get funnier the more you tell them

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Sticks wrote:
    Welp

Skyrim thread can point and laugh. I took the weekend to do a much needed cleaning of my computer, including a fresh install of windows...and apparently I missed my skyrim save folder when backing everything up.

Farewell, MC Hammer. You sure loved your hammer. I hope you are using it to settle petty disputes in Sovngarde.
    Goodbye, Whistles-Innocently, you didn't make it to Riften to join the thieves guild, and now you never will.

:(
    was this on Steam? i think Steam backs up saves now as part of their cloud thingy...worth a shot checking!

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm looking at it now. On the updates tab, it has "enable steam cloud sync" checked.

0 bytes stored / 50MB available

:x

No clue why it apparently never synced.

Sticks on
  • intropintrop Registered User regular
    It's never synced Skyrim saves for me, either. :/

Steam ID: highentropy
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote:
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    If you haven't had the pleasure of pickpocketing one of those Briarheart dudes, I suggest you give it a try. It's pretty funny.

I have 100 Sneak and they still see me coming somehow. it's unreal.

100! That is surprising. If I'm behind someone I don't think I ever get detected, even before I reached 100 or took the silent running perk. But then my stealth skills are stacked high with Muffle and the Dark Brotherhood boots.

well if I'm behind them it's another story, but it seems with Briarhearts that they're rarely facing away from me

I am wearing the DB boots too, but check it: I am in Hag's End and there's that one Briarheart there, I sneak up the stairs near him, I'm not even at the top of the stairs before he gets spooked and starts wandering around looking for me.

Have you tried shooting arrows into him from a distance while sneaking? I find that delivering the gift of arrows to the face, head, chest, crotch, spine, ass, knee, leg, neck, and eye area tends to solve most of my Skyrim problems. Especially when enemies walk around all confused about the horrible wounds inflicted to them and their brethren by an invisible arrow fairy in the general vicinity.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Jumping back into this while I wait for ME3 to come out.

Just did Yngol's Barrow
    I came in through the exit by accident because I'd been exploring the northern coastline. Killed the Draugr Death Overlord by plinking him with arrows from safety on the opposite side of a locked gate. Then went back outside and in through the entrance, walked through an empty barrow and collected all his stuff. Easiest dungeon ever.

The little sprite things that follow you were cool. Do they do anything of note if you get to the overlord without having already killed him in a cheaty way?

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I just started my thief character and joined the Thieves Guild for the first time, this is great. I did the side mission that involves stealing enough stuff from an entire town, in this case Whiterun.

That alchemist is going to have a bad morning when she realises that her entire counter stock is missing. Finally I was able to get payback for her tricking me into buying a cure disease potion that one time.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    marty_0001 wrote:
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    If you haven't had the pleasure of pickpocketing one of those Briarheart dudes, I suggest you give it a try. It's pretty funny.

I have 100 Sneak and they still see me coming somehow. it's unreal.

100! That is surprising. If I'm behind someone I don't think I ever get detected, even before I reached 100 or took the silent running perk. But then my stealth skills are stacked high with Muffle and the Dark Brotherhood boots.

well if I'm behind them it's another story, but it seems with Briarhearts that they're rarely facing away from me

I am wearing the DB boots too, but check it: I am in Hag's End and there's that one Briarheart there, I sneak up the stairs near him, I'm not even at the top of the stairs before he gets spooked and starts wandering around looking for me.

Have you tried shooting arrows into him from a distance while sneaking? I find that delivering the gift of arrows to the face, head, chest, crotch, spine, ass, knee, leg, neck, and eye area tends to solve most of my Skyrim problems. Especially when enemies walk around all confused about the horrible wounds inflicted to them and their brethren by an invisible arrow fairy in the general vicinity.

I like to think that they're like "Dude, the Arrow Fairy came by and left me this sweet ebony arrow!" "Duuuuude"

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    What do I do with my money now that I've bought the houses I want?

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Make a giant pile of single gold coins and cackle over them?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    What happens if you buy more than one horse, anyway? I can't find out myself for fear of losing Fat Pony, whom I love.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • fourthmealfourthmeal Las Vegas, NVRegistered User regular
    Hey there, extreme long time lurker, just signed up to ask:

What the heck do you do when the main quest glitches (on Xbox)?

I didn't realize it at first, but after a while I began to notice that after Diplomatic Immunity the main quest did not progress. At least not in a way I can tell. I have tons and tons of side-quests, but here I am, after roaming the lands leveling up and up (now at 51). I can knocking ancient dragons out of the sky and kill them in seconds. Well, that's great and all, but I want more. Like maybe...plot continuance? Am I screwed? I heard tale that the main plot/quest can actually break. Halp?

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    have you done "A Cornered Rat"?

i think that's the next main-plot quest

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

Ubik,

I saw that in the tutorial but it is nowhere on my quest list.

And that's when I realized I might be screwed.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    fourthmeal wrote: »

I didn't realize it at first, but after a while I began to notice that after Diplomatic Immunity the main quest did not progress. At least not in a way I can tell. I have tons and tons of side-quests, but here I am, after roaming the lands leveling up and up (now at 51). I can knocking ancient dragons out of the sky and kill them in seconds. Well, that's great and all, but I want more. Like maybe...plot continuance? Am I screwed? I heard tale that the main plot/quest can actually break. Halp?

You restart the game. Or just keep playing (not like there aren't all kinds of other quests to do). Or maybe reload an earlier save from before you started Diplomatic Immunity.

There've been main quest breaking bugs in the Elder Scrolls games since their inception with Arena. It's something you just kinda... get used to.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Ubik,

What does Delphine do when you talk to her?

Ubik,

Yeah I thought Delphine was the key too but when I talked to her she just had non quest things to say.

Aren't you supposed to talk with Brynjolf or something? Right now that guy has me caught up in shenanigans on a quest called "A Chance Encounter". Maybe that has mixed things up?

LOL!

I seriously thought about it. Or maybe I should just buy the PC version and then transfer my file from Xbox to something...better

MechMantis wrote: »

You restart the game. Or just keep playing (not like there aren't all kinds of other quests to do). Or maybe reload an earlier save from before you started Diplomatic Immunity.

There've been main quest breaking bugs in the Elder Scrolls games since their inception with Arena. It's something you just kinda... get used to.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    try doing A Chance Arrangement and then talking to Brynjolf

i heard that Brynjolf won't talk about A Cornered Rat if you haven't completed that quest yet

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

Ubik,

Yeah I thought Delphine was the key too but when I talked to her she just had non quest things to say.

Aren't you supposed to talk with Brynjolf or something? Right now that guy has me caught up in shenanigans on a quest called "A Chance Encounter". Maybe that has mixed things up?

I'm not sure... Once you've completed the quest and turned it in, she's supposed to talk to you about the guy that the prisoner in the Embassy was being tortured about, who is hiding in Riften. Did she say any of this when you turned the quest in? Did you save the prisoner?

Ubik wrote: »
    try doing A Chance Arrangement and then talking to Brynjolf

i heard that Brynjolf won't talk about A Cornered Rat if you haven't completed that quest yet

Will do. I saw this on the USEP wiki just a while ago.

Brynjolf just walked up to me at some point when I was talking to another merchant, said he can tell I steal stuff, etc. This was all long before Delpine and I did the other. That must have started this other quest that mixed up with the main one. Radiant systems have their advantages and disadvantages, I suppose.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to enter special characters while naming your PC?

I want to make a Nord named Sördbörd

• ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    Online-storage saves are the best thing to happen to gaming in a while... in my belief. But that's partially because I always lived in fear of losing hundreds and hundreds of hours on different characters if my box were ever stolen or the house caught on fire or something.

I upgraded my Xbox yesterday, selling my old one, and getting all of my saves was super easy with their cloud service.

QcGKhPm.jpg
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote:
    Is there a way to enter special characters while naming your PC?

I want to make a Nord named Sördbörd
    Yes there is. One of my characters was Ra's, except with the accent on the "a" and not just an apostrophe like I showed there.

QcGKhPm.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Neat! I found a fairy ring. Is there any significance to it? Maybe I should go back at midnight.

I think I saw one of those with some spriggans, but that would've been months ago.

• twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    So, installing mods... Anyone got a tutorial? The hot new thing to use SKSE, or something similar like WyreBash or whatever?

Or are we just extracting to .../steamapps/...blahblahblah?

PSN: peepshowofforce
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Online-storage saves are the best thing to happen to gaming in a while... in my belief. But that's partially because I always lived in fear of losing hundreds and hundreds of hours on different characters if my box were ever stolen or the house caught on fire or something.

I upgraded my Xbox yesterday, selling my old one, and getting all of my saves was super easy with their cloud service.

Can you go from Xbox to PC with that ability?

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    ShimSham wrote: »

Can you go from Xbox to PC with that ability?

Alas, no. At least, not that I've ever heard of. Completely different formats.

edited March 2012
    So, update on this whole issue with "A Cornered Rat" and moving the main quest forward. I promptly failed the quest because I ain't a thief. Or maybe I should be more thorough... when crouched in sneak and thus hidden I happen to be just short enough to not be able to see and select the ring out of the box. I can pick the lock no issue, but I simply can't see inside and can't grab it. So, of course I had to stand, grab it, and [of course] I got nicked. Quest over, Brynjolf says something a thief prick would say, and says come see him down at the RF. I get down to the RF, and oh here we go, I think we're about to talk about who I came here for, which is the guy behind the door that won't come out and play, Esbern. No dice, Brynjolf just sends me on what I guess is a Thieves Guild quest to start their little gang. I even traveled back to Delphine, and that does nothing. There is no line of discussion about Esbern, Riften, or anything that can progress this sonofabitch.

Start over?

...With the PC version and sell the Xbox version?

Edit: Sorry to be a whiny bitch about this but at level 51 it means I've put a lot of work into this game which I'm sure most of you know all too well. It just suuuuux that the game could fail this hard and not have a way to recover, since it is Xbox.

fourthmeal on
    edited March 2012
    i heard there was a way to move your xbox saves to the PC so if you go that route you might not lose everything and you could use the console commands on the PC version to fix your main quest bug

might be worth looking into

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    with some games you can transfer the saves from 360 to PC with a thumb drive or via your network

I dunno if Skyrim does that, but you should look it up!

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yay you can do it!

I Just started my own mod, first one on Skyrim

I've framed out a little cave with some dripping and some luminescence and some puddles and a secret button that makes the back wall slide down and behind it is an old Nord Crypt where I'm gonna put together a house for myself, with that big stuffed Slaughterfish on the wall and a keg and a campfire!

I love making stuff in the construction sets.

oh also I made the woodcutter's axe roughly equivalent to the iron war axe, but a bit faster and a little less damage.

Because I am a humble woodsman who got arrested for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and whoops turns out he's magic and also the dragonblood so

So, update on this whole issue with "A Cornered Rat" and moving the main quest forward. I promptly failed the quest because I ain't a thief. Or maybe I should be more thorough... when crouched in sneak and thus hidden I happen to be just short enough to not be able to see and select the ring out of the box. I can pick the lock no issue, but I simply can't see inside and can't grab it. So, of course I had to stand, grab it, and [of course] I got nicked. Quest over, Brynjolf says something a thief prick would say, and says come see him down at the RF. I get down to the RF, and oh here we go, I think we're about to talk about who I came here for, which is the guy behind the door that won't come out and play, Esbern. No dice, Brynjolf just sends me on what I guess is a Thieves Guild quest to start their little gang. I even traveled back to Delphine, and that does nothing. There is no line of discussion about Esbern, Riften, or anything that can progress this sonofabitch.

Start over?

...With the PC version and sell the Xbox version?

Ring out of the box? Unless the quest is different on XBox, that's a pickpocket job, dude.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure you should go talk to Vex. She's a blonde woman in the Ragged Flagon.

edited March 2012
    you have to take a ring out of a box in one of the vendors stands and plant it on another

also, the box is under the stand, behind a sliding gate thing, not the display case on top

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

Oh, riiiight. I remember now.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I started this game up after like 2 months of not playing it at all and it was like booting it up for the first time. It was pretty great.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Are there any good UI mods out yet?

I found a sweet favorites organizer

it makes the favorites menu huge, but it separates everything by type

also, do you guys know how to make a weapon improvable/enchantable? I have searched the internet and skyrim creation set tutorials
    but no dice

it's so frustrating

edited March 2012
    LOL Like I said, not a thief. Besides, you think if I reloaded that one and did the mission correctly, that Brynjolf would have dialog about Esbern?

Well its worth a try, I think I'll do it and see.

In other news, I've done the calculations to figure out how much buying Skyrim for PC will cost me, minimum. Right around $1300.

fourthmeal on
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    How in the hell would $2000 be the minimum? Do you have to build a computer and ship it to Antarctica?

This discussion has been closed.