As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    VW owners will feel my pain.

Weather was great this weekend, so I decided some topless driving was in order. I get in the Beetle and crank it up and open the top. I hear this ear-piercing screeching sound coming from my engine.

Fookin' Secondary Air Pump is shot to hell.

Popped the hood and unplugged the bastard.

Easy fix :mrgreen:

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the MAF sensor went on my Jetta last week. Price quote at dealerships in the area, $220. Price quote from NAPA, $190. Online price, $42. While waiting for the part I just unplugged the damn thing.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »

Weather was great this weekend, so I decided some topless driving was in order. I get in the Beetle and crank it up and open the top. I hear this ear-piercing screeching sound coming from my engine.

That is the one thing that never broke on my Turbo Beetle convertible.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Six wrote: »
    Chimera wrote:
    @CommunistCow you should call 1-800-fly-mx5s. They can likely solve your issue, Keith there is a god. I used to do a lot with them when I raced Miatas.

So I /finally/ fixed this problem and I feel like the dumbest human on the planet. Someone on the miata forums suggested I connect the TEN/GND pins in the diagnostic box which would remove the ECU from the equation. So I drove around for a while until the problem started happening and I connected those pins. First thing I noticed was the idle went super high after connecting those which meant the idle screw was set wrong. So I tuned that down and drove around (without the pins connected) and the problem didn't occur.

The tricky thing is this problem first started happening out of the blue and I hadn't done any adjustments or work on the car for a while. When I replaced the IACV I re-tuned the idle with that TEN/GND jumper set but I had only let the car sit in the driveway and idle until I thought it was up to temperature. I guess it really wasn't up to temperature and I re-tuned the idle to be high, unintentionally. So both before and after the IACV replacement the idle screw was set too high.

Moral of the story, I am an idiot and you guys can make fun of me until the end of time. :(

These kinds of problems/solutions are always so bittersweet :)

Congrats on the fix, and no matter how you got there it has to feel great.

Hopefully it starts feeling great sometime soon. Right now I still feel like such an idiot for working on this problem for over a year. It would feel like an actual accomplishment if it was some obscure problem I finally found and fixed.

On the bright side, I will be able to drive the car around without getting furious at the idle. I've also learned a ridiculous amount about how a car idles and what can affect it. So that's always a plus.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    Also.... did you force the "T.O." to the manager or did you just deal with the salesperson?

I dealt with the manager and the salesperson. The salesman (Chad) was so adorable and timid that I actually had to push him a little to explain things I wanted. He couldn't have been older than 19 years old and his tie still had the little plastic thing on it from when he bought it at the store.

But he sought answers to my questions if he didn't know them, and was very polite and accommodating. I told his manager that I wanted him to receive a little bonus for this sale because he made a lifetime customer out of me with his willingness to go above and beyond. I told him that if I refer people to the company and/or come in to buy another car myself, I would only deal with him. He actually blushed a little. :>

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    @Cogliostro, you were likely one of his fist sales. It sounds like he was just starting off and that isn't surprising given by his apperance and how readily the manager caved. Most of your sales people in the new car sections of a lot are novices to car sales. That is where a dealership will groom a salesperson before moving them to internet or used car sales. Bad news though, he won't get an extra bonus. About 90% of new car dealerships work on gross commission. Normally you start out at 15-20% of the gross the car made. New cats have little to no gross in them now a days. Before they get sliced up in the sales process (like you had done) they only have between 1000 to 2000 dollars in gross in them. If you truly got a great deal the gross on the car likely was less than 1000 or maybe even in the negative. As a result that car sale would be considered a "mini." That means he got between 75 and 150 dollars for it. Mini's are the minimum a dealer will pay a salesperson per car deal that has little to no gross. How does a dealership survive of this you ask? Simple, in new cars almost all of the money a dealership makes is in their finance office via selling warranties and contracting you to a lender. Used cars on the other hand are different. I have made up to 7800 dollars in gross off a used car. The longer you negotiate and talk to your customer in your office, the smaller the amount of money you make in the deal. This deal you gave him was likely just a count for him towards his quota.

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Still, I am curious. What trim level is your new escape and what was the final sales price and APR?

edited March 2012
    It's the XLT with the sound package, fog lights, sun roof, side-steps, interior lighting package etc. I got the 6 year 60k mile advanced warranty, windshield protection, interior upholstery protection, roadside assistance, etc etc etc. I had them throw in a cargo cover as well for the back end. I actually talked them into the warranty because the financing guy tried pulling the "Well, the bank isn't sure you're gonna keep it if something goes wrong with it." So I said "Well, give me the warranty for free and they won't have to worry about it."

The financing guy was really the biggest scheister of them all. He tried at first to get me an interest rate of 14%. I about walked out for real at that.

Also I got a bunch of crap like my first two injector cleanings, 2 oil changes, state inspections, etc etc free (*they* claimed that was worth like $600)

All in all I ended up walking out by paying $22,221. My credit isn't Perfect, but I secured financing at 4.5% - which was waaaaaay better than Capital One's 9.4.

The one thing I *really really really really really* wanted was the in-dash navigation system. But the only way to get that was to buy the Limited model and I really don't want leather seats or any of the other crap that comes with it. So I just went ahead and got the next one down. I am looking now at maybe purchasing one and having it installed. It'll only increase the price of the vehicle for resale. :)

Cogliostro on
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Last year I had to replace a motor on the rear passenger window. That was a serious pain in the ass.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    edited March 2012

Last year I had to replace a motor on the rear passenger window. That was a serious pain in the ass.

All I can picture is you attaching an I4 engine to operate the window. Imagine the possibilities ....like opening and closing the window REALLY fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlMLqdvHzI

CommunistCow on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Saw one of these driving home today.

7cvGW.jpg

McLaren MP4-12C. It's... unique looking but only in a confusing way. I passed it while it was waiting to turn out of a side street, and neither me nor my wife could figure out what it was from the front. I had to slow down and let it catch up and pass us to see the McLaren badge on the back. It's supposed to compete with the 458 Italia and Gallardo and, well, from the front it kind of looks like a 458 and from the side and back it kind of looks like a Gallardo, so I guess it succeeded? But for over $300k, it seems kind of a waste for a car that difficult to figure out what it actually is.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Top Gear has spent a lot of time with the Mp4-12C over the last two seasons if you're curious about it.

can you feel the struggle within?
    edited March 2012
    But for over $300k, it seems kind of a waste for a car that difficult to figure out what it actually is.

Bwah? 300k seems pretty reasonable when it pulls better track times than the bugatti veyron and beat the ferrari 458 and the Enzo around the top gear track by THREE SECONDS. It was only 1 second off that super duper Ariel Atom v8 and it has a roof, a stereo, and AC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCPZSaHyZGQ

Also, screw Clarkson. I like the looks of the McClaren better than the 458.

CommunistCow on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    It's just so... blah. Like they copy-pasted from Ferrari and Lamborghini, with Lotus accents.

nibXTE7.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Its face is almost Mazda levels of happy.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Speaking of Mazda has anybody Driven the Mazda 3 with the sky-active system? Thinking about getting one for my next car. The gas savings alone compared to my 89 jeep cherokee will just about pay for the car payments. For reference I drive 50 miles a day total for work, then whatever on the weekends. I live WAY out in the country.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I want the first integrated night vision windshield display.

Tell me that's close to become reality, pleeeeeease.

Cogliostro wrote: »

Cadillac started this in the early 00's on the DeVille/DTS, but it didn't catch on. It was a ~$3k option if I remember right. Here's a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiyFx8z3Ht4

nibXTE7.png
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    My cousin, up until recently, apparently had a windshield that had a hex-grid system of defrost (similar to the lines on the rear window of all cars) that defosted the windshield. It was a Jaguar, I believe.

Does anyone else do that? That seems to be the most awesome thing in the world!

(I live in Saskatchewan--winter (and frost) fucking sucks!)

Cadillac started this in the early 00's on the DeVille/DTS, but it didn't catch on. It was a ~$3k option if I remember right. Here's a video!

That looks like some crappy thermal camera rather than night vision. All you can make out are the headlights and license plates. It showed no road features. I doubt you would see some rock that has fallen into the road with that thing.

• The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Speaking of Mazda has anybody Driven the Mazda 3 with the sky-active system? Thinking about getting one for my next car. The gas savings alone compared to my 89 jeep cherokee will just about pay for the car payments. For reference I drive 50 miles a day total for work, then whatever on the weekends. I live WAY out in the country.

Yup, just got one earlier this year, the hatchback. I love the handling, the transmission, and especially the gas mileage. I drive about 60-80 miles a day total for work, and I average about 34mpg (70/30 mix of highway and city) without making any special effort to conserve gas. I can push to 40-44 mpg during long road trips, so the real world gas mileage really is impressive!

I elected for the automatic because I'm lazy (plus I hit a good deal of traffic on my commute), but the manual tranny really is something to behold. Smooth, super short throws, just a joy to drive, pretty similar to the way the Miata's used to run.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
    I'm still trying to figure out what car I saw the other day. It was a low-slung coupe, but it was a big coupe, like a Camaro. It looked Euro, like a cross between an Astin and an R8, but I've looked at all the lineups of all the car makers I can think of and can't find it.

I didn't see any sort of badging on the back. The tailights set high and wide and were rectangular (not round) and they were solid red, so no funky chrome things. It might possibly have been mid-engine. He pulled out on the highway in front of me. I sped up to try and see what it was, but he was moving on, I gave up when I hit 85 mph and still wasn't catching up.

It's gotta be from some obscure car company, but I dunno.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    One thing that I really thought was neat about the newer Camaros was the HUD. I wouldn't mind car companies putting something like that into cars that have built in Nav systems having the turn arrows and maybe distance overlaid a bit would be neat.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!

That looks like some crappy thermal camera rather than night vision. All you can make out are the headlights and license plates. It showed no road features. I doubt you would see some rock that has fallen into the road with that thing.

Yeah, it was really just a FLIR camera they marketed as night vision. That video isn't so great though, it had better definition to what it showed when you were sitting right in front of it.

nibXTE7.png
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    My cousin, up until recently, apparently had a windshield that had a hex-grid system of defrost (similar to the lines on the rear window of all cars) that defosted the windshield. It was a Jaguar, I believe.

Does anyone else do that? That seems to be the most awesome thing in the world!

(I live in Saskatchewan--winter (and frost) fucking sucks!)
    Range Rover does it. It's kind of annoying though because you can see the grid in the windshield when driving.

XBL: heavenkils
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Yes it will. I work with thermal cameras from time to time and things like rock formations will stand out because they radiate heat differently then the surrounding ground usually does. It's actually a better option for this then a camera with a low lux value because the thermal won't be blinded by it's headlights or have the flattening effect you'd see with lots of WDR.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I kinda like the idea that GM was doing with their fighter-plane-esque HUDs with RPMs and Speed instead of altitude and IAS. I wonder why I never see cars with it (I wonder how many there were in the first place), and if it was just abandoned with everything else GM does well.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So Ford finally got it's 2013 Mustang configurator up. Now I can make myself crazy for the next few months while I figure out exactly what I want. (hint: I already know)

I had one go bad when they were back-ordered for 6months and the repair kits were at 3weeks. When they finally got the kit in I dropped it off, they had it for a day and I picked it back up. I put the top down and drove home. Then it started to rain while I was on the interstate so I pulled over, put the top up, and put up the windows while watching the one that just got fixed, it went up fine. So I smiled and looked to the other side, and it was broken.

I called up my service rep and she literally said "you're shitting me" to which I replied "Nope." She offered me a rental for as long as it took to get the parts in to fix it, I was like, nah just order it.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    So what you are saying is "VW makes awesome vehicles."

• XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    I keep hearing about how unreliable VWs are and it's almost always from Americans. I've never heard it as a general statement here in Germany. Makes me wonder how much of it is related to which factory the cars actually come from.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    wow stopped on a bridge next to this karma ev. never seen one before and gosh its pretty

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Beetles were made in Mexico and they were on the MKIV platform. Neither of these things were too good for reliability.

They have gotten tons better though. Most of my friends drive VWs.

Steam
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    I had a MkIV Jetta 1.8T. The thing was a nightmare, especially in the electrics. It was blowing ignition coils all the time, the remote stopped working even though the remote itself was fine, one of my rear tail lights got a short somewhere, the washer fluid pump circuit broke somewhere, and it blew headlights frequently. It also had a window mechanism that liked to loosen up and then leave the window up when I tried to open it and the trunk latch broke. God forbid you try and work on it yourself either. The manuals are expensive as hell and everything is jigsawed together in incredible ways under the hood. I have many bloody knuckles thanks to that car.

When it was working though, it was a blast to drive. I kinda miss it sometimes.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Xrdd wrote: »
    I keep hearing about how unreliable VWs are and it's almost always from Americans. I've never heard it as a general statement here in Germany. Makes me wonder how much of it is related to which factory the cars actually come from.

Perhaps, but I think a lot of it is simply that some places just don't have anyone that knows how to work on them.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I had a late '90s Ford Cuntour SVT.
    I had it for maybe 6 months before it started to fall apart.
    I had a stutter at low RPMs which I could not get rid of to save my life; and even after having it tuned the guy could not figure it out.
    The driver's side window broke. The easiest way to fix it is to replace the whole door. To get to the window mechanism, you have to cut the door apart, and re-weld it back together when you're done.
    I went through 3 transmissions. I sold it after swapping in a transmission for the last time, and it blew up within a week. I never did any burnouts or drove it too hard, as it was too fragile to be beat upon.
    I had a wheel fall off while merging on the freeway.
    Within about a month, the whole suspension went bad.
    The alternator self-destructed
    The passenger power seat refused to work.
    I think the only thing that worked consistently was the stereo, which was aftermarket.

I had a MkIV Jetta 1.8T. The thing was a nightmare, especially in the electrics. It was blowing ignition coils all the time, the remote stopped working even though the remote itself was fine, one of my rear tail lights got a short somewhere, the washer fluid pump circuit broke somewhere, and it blew headlights frequently. It also had a window mechanism that liked to loosen up and then leave the window up when I tried to open it and the trunk latch broke. God forbid you try and work on it yourself either. The manuals are expensive as hell and everything is jigsawed together in incredible ways under the hood. I have many bloody knuckles thanks to that car.

At least you had a real hood. Imagine working on a 1.8t in a cab-forward designed Beetle. Everything from the coils back is under the cowl.

I still wouldn't give it up for anything else... maybe...

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular

At least you had a real hood. Imagine working on a 1.8t in a cab-forward designed Beetle. Everything from the coils back is under the cowl.

Oh yeah, I've seen the engine compartments of those Beetles. Everything cramped and awful about working on a MkIV only magnified. Apparently the only reason the 1.8T Beetles were down-rated HP-wise from the Jetta and Golf was because the plumbing for the turbo and exhaust was restricted because of the lack of room in that tiny engine compartment.

Oh yeah, I've seen the engine compartments of those Beetles. Everything cramped and awful about working on a MkIV only magnified. Apparently the only reason the 1.8T Beetles were down-rated HP-wise from the Jetta and Golf was because the plumbing for the turbo and exhaust was restricted because of the lack of room in that tiny engine compartment.

A chip takes care of that real quick since the later and convertible Beetle Turbos have the same K03S that the Jetta and GTIs came with.

Makes a HUGE difference.

Steam
  • DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So Ford finally got it's 2013 Mustang configurator up. Now I can make myself crazy for the next few months while I figure out exactly what I want. (hint: I already know)

I know too. It's just a shame Ford won't ever release the Mustang in the U.K. Even if they just sold the V6 I'd be happy. I think the Camaro is coming over for silly money (£35k-40k I think) Which I think follows the pricing structure of replacing the $ for a £ and ripping us off. If Ford could get a basic V6 over here for £22,000 I would go giddy.

steam_sig.png