As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, March 15, 2012 - The Conch

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited March 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Tales from the Trenches

The Conch
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/the-conch

Lucky, lucky, me.

Anonymous

While working on a title based on a license we all know very well, I discovered that the hair color was wrong on a character that was known, in part, for her hair color. Does neon pink instead of white sound wrong enough?

I entered the bug into the database with several screenshots from the game to show that the color wasn’t just the way it was lit. I also included links to some source materials just in case the artists didn’t have any.

After a few days I checked the bug’s status and it had been summarily closed by the dev with the following inspirational comment:

“You’re lucky she has hair.”

IcyLiquid on

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    The only character I can think of with white hair that is very well known is Storm.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    jackal wrote: »
    The only character I can think of with white hair that is very well known is Storm.

The only female character, at any rate.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I think it might be Jeane from Suikoden? She started off with white hair, ended up pink.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular

There's Ivy from the Soul Calibur series, but I don't think her hair is her defining feature. :/

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Maybe Princess Yue because her hair color is important.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

There's Ivy from the Soul Calibur series, but I don't think her hair is her defining feature. :/

What he meant to say was, boobs.

That is all.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It could also be Winter, from Star Wars. That's a pretty well known franchise with a woman with white hair.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I think it might be Jeane from Suikoden? She started off with white hair, ended up pink.

It wouldn't have effected her concept art, which was released before the game was in heavy development and had the pink.

I'd guess Storm as well. A lot more games out there with X-men in them that were built on the cheap without huge focus to character details. Suikoden typically puts character design in first and foremost at the cost of everything else.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular

What the hell does this even mean?

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    SharpevilSharpevil Registered User new member
    Pretty clearly, it was Princess Celestia.

• Options
    fUNHIPfUNHIP Registered User new member
    At first I thought it might be Ritz from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and that they cleverly covered it up as a story element, but I'm pretty sure that game's graphical style has no lighting engine.

• Options
    ShulamanaShulamana Registered User new member
    It does say "based on a license", so we can probably limit it to just games based on a movie, TV show, book, etc.

• Options
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    “You’re lucky she doesn't have a mohawk.”

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    “You’re lucky she doesn't have a mohawk.”

Mohawks. As far as the eye can see.

• Options
    fallenphoenixfallenphoenix Registered User regular

Maybe it's a reference to the amount of time/effort (not) dedicated to the characters?

• Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    Two years in a row without a proper PA birthday comic. Thanks, Obama Leap Year.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular

Maybe it's a reference to the amount of time/effort (not) dedicated to the characters?
    I think the gist is that the devs were super busy and they didn't have time to think about hairs.

I wonder if the hot pink hair made it to launch? Seems like that would render useless the vague language if anyone should happen to have played it.

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    a character that was known, in part, for her hair color

I don't know if Storm is known, in part, for her hair colour, but it was a very distinctive feature of her and an easily identifiable indicator. I believe it was made such due to her mutant powers.
    Also, X-Men is a license. And as previously mentioned, there were quite the many sub-par license-milked X-men games put out.
    So this sounds par for the course and would be my bet as well.

The only other option, in the same license, would be Rogue - although she has a tint of white rather than the whole of her hair.