As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well, they seem pretty adamant that this game was "designed" for heavy DLC integration and that they will just update this version as necessary.

But this is Capcom, soooo...

The 2p local/online play thing was brought up in an interview and their response was basically, "It was really easy to implement with PSN's architecture, XBL not so much. It is possible on XBL but was ultimately a cut feature due to the extra time we would need."

I wouldn't be surprised if they patched it in later with one of the big updates.

House of Paincakes on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Who are you running with so far, Chorazin?

Right now I'm running Rolento x Guile, I've come to the conclusion that my SSFIV main Balrog just isn't up to snuff in this one.

I really want to learn some Tekken dudes but I just don't have the time to devote to their systems and weird combo strings. :(

That is the lamest team I've heard of so far. Well done!

And exactly why would this be? Guile compliments Rolento's lack of defence and lower health quite well, drop in some beatdown with Rolento, switch to Guile to switch the game up from a faster, constant offense on my part to a thoughtful reactionary defence. That way I'm in control of how the fight flows.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Well, they seem pretty adamant that this game was "designed" for heavy DLC integration and that they will just update this version as necessary.

But this is Capcom, soooo...

The 2p local/online play thing was brought up in an interview and their response was basically, "It was really easy to implement with PSN's architecture, XBL not so much. It is possible on XBL but was ultimately a cut feature due to the extra time we would need."

I wouldn't be surprised if they patched it in later with one of the big updates.

So in other words, it'll be in ultimate :p

I'm surprised their going so DLC heavy. When MvC3 came out, I really expected them to go the DLC route, especially with certain fan favorites missing. But then again, maybe Marvel was the reason DLC wasn't a big thing.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Another blow for the 360 version, apparently there are errors with the diagonal inputs:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/mar/15/diagonal-input-street-fighter-x-tekken-issue-analog-stick-xbox-360-documented/

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Umvc only happened because of a gigantic earthquake interrupting their plans for constant small amounts of dlc characters, didn't it?

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Right now I'm running Rolento x Guile, I've come to the conclusion that my SSFIV main Balrog just isn't up to snuff in this one.

I really want to learn some Tekken dudes but I just don't have the time to devote to their systems and weird combo strings. :(

And exactly why would this be? Guile compliments Rolento's lack of defence and lower health quite well, drop in some beatdown with Rolento, switch to Guile to switch the game up from a faster, constant offense on my part to a thoughtful reactionary defence. That way I'm in control of how the fight flows.

Rolento: lame 'em out with aggressive footsies
    Guile: lame 'em out with impenetrable defense

it's really a beautiful thing you've done here

I can almost feel the rage a brand new Ryu/Ken player feels when seeing your team on character select. I can almost taste their tears.

Walt on
    I've been practicing with Ryu/Juri. If Chorazin's team is lame, then mine is super lame.

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    After watching gootecks and Mike Ross play this, I have to say it looks a lot more fun than I was expecting. Although to be fair they could probably make anything look fun.

They couldn't make MK look fun. It was their saddest series.
    Page- wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine what a fighting game would be like without crossups. But I can't do it.

I don't have a very hard time imagining Mortal Kombat, personally.

Or any 3d fighting game.

Tekken sorta has crossups.

Oh look an infinite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2wvzyypvU

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I've been running Asuka / Marduk because Asuka's strings can get big damage and decent meter build, while Marduk can withstand enough hits to the face that Asuka can heal up. Also I think he's my favorite grapple in this game. Big damage throws, huge range on damaging pokes, c.mp into super is an amazing footsie tool. Just good stuff.

And I'm getting used to the sound issues online. I mean, I want them patched, like, yesterday, but I can deal without raging now.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    Umvc only happened because of a gigantic earthquake interrupting their plans for constant small amounts of dlc characters, didn't it?

That's the "official" reason. I know people were pissed about that but I honestly didn't mind paying $40 for 12 new characters and all the extra updates.

I think about it this way: did I get $60 worth of fun out of the original MvC3? Most definitely.

I feel like there's $60 worth of game in SFxT for me if they can fix the online sound problems, regardless of what's locked on the disc. The sound issue alone makes me not want to play this at all.

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    I feel like there's $60 worth of game in SFxT for me if they can fix the online sound problems, regardless of what's locked on the disc. The sound issue alone makes me not want to play this at all.

Don't forget the input problems

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/mar/15/diagonal-input-street-fighter-x-tekken-issue-analog-stick-xbox-360-documented/

360 only

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I've been running Asuka / Marduk because Asuka's strings can get big damage and decent meter build, while Marduk can withstand enough hits to the face that Asuka can heal up. Also I think he's my favorite grapple in this game. Big damage throws, huge range on damaging pokes, c.mp into super is an amazing footsie tool. Just good stuff.

And I'm getting used to the sound issues online. I mean, I want them patched, like, yesterday, but I can deal without raging now.

Fig, how do you approach/footsie with Asuka? I've been having trouble getting anything started with her.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine what a fighting game would be like without crossups. But I can't do it.

I don't have a very hard time imagining Mortal Kombat, personally.

Or any 3d fighting game.

Tekken sorta has crossups.

Actually the only part of TTT2 I've found remotely interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygYEcchhkpw&feature=g-hist&context=G250b3f4AHTwKZRQAMAA

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    blaze_zero wrote: »

Fig, how do you approach/footsie with Asuka? I've been having trouble getting anything started with her.

I had trouble at first too, so I know what you mean. You've got two main options on the ground: a) Her b+MP, MK string or b) Two hits of her leg cutter string; df+HK, df+HK. You can use b+MP, MK to punish whiffed footsies and go right into a combo, or just to get in. The second hit is plus on block and special cancelable. Two hits of leg cutter will go into her main combo, the string has decent range, and the second hit is frame neutral on block.

For projectile characters, I get to just outside sweep distance and throw out HP Exorcisor (hcf+HP). It has 22 frames of projectile invincibility, but no part of the attack is safe on block. If they block you just start holding downback after the first hit and hope they were expecting more hits/don't have a 3 frame jab.

s.MK, d+MP is another decent tool because the d+MP is safe and special cancelable, while Asuka's s.MK moves her forward a decent amount.

• DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »

Don't forget the input problems

360 only

Wow. 360 users kinda got fucked with this release, didn't we?

I decided that I didn't want to give up on this game just yet, so now I'm deciding who I want to use. I'm going to try and stick with Julia/King, and maybe mess around with Rolento/Poison/Lili/Hwoarang. Julia seems a bit limited in her options, but she seems to do decent damage with fairly simple combos. I'm not sure what to do with King, that knee loop is pretty much all I got. It does some pretty stupid damage though, so I guess it's good for now. Now to try and actually play against people.

Yeah, that's basically what I've been doing.

It's hard because her moves are just slow enough to get shut down by a lot of things. Especially jumps.

It's hard because her moves are just slow enough to get shut down by a lot of things. Especially jumps.

If someone jumps cancel into EX Falling Rain. Her AA grab by itself isn't great, but the EX version is a amazing. Also, f+LK. It moves her hurtbox back a bit and hits where her head was. You can then follow it up with f+LP and go into a Demon Slayer combo.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular

I can almost feel the rage a brand new Ryu/Ken player feels when seeing your team on character select. I can almost taste their tears.

Rolento and Guile have PLENTY of weaknesses that can be easily exploited by a competent player, it's only lame if you can't adapt and overcome. ;)

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin

If someone jumps cancel into EX Falling Rain. Her AA grab by itself isn't great, but the EX version is a amazing. Also, f+LK. It moves her hurtbox back a bit and hits where her head was. You can then follow it up with f+LP and go into a Demon Slayer combo.

I didn't think about EX Falling Rain. I use that in a lot of other situations, though. It's so good.

I seem to trade a bunch of f+lk. Probably because they are jumping in too deep or something.

Rolento and Guile have PLENTY of weaknesses that can be easily exploited by a competent player, it's only lame if you can't adapt and overcome. ;)

Lame means they play a style that is safe and difficult to counter (meaning to play literally with countering certain moves in mind) while being deceptively straight-forward looking. I don't think either characters are unbeatable or irritating personally, though the moniker "lame" comes from their nature as scrub-enragers.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Question about a couple characters.

I always liked/played King in Tekken and the Gief in SF. How are they in this, and do they make a good team? Also what other brainless are in it.

Thinking about renting it for a day or two to check it out.

Anyone on PS3 want to get in some games tonight? I only know a few basic combos for one character, so don't expect anything challenging.

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Sorry, 360 here. Speaking of, want to set up more lobbies tonight if anyone is interested.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    So how is this game? I've come into some money and I've been thinking about rebuying a console for fighting game purposes.

Better or worse than SSFIV?

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Blanka is DLC? Sad :(. I might pick up the game when he is released, so i can run with dhalsim/blanka. Really I just want two dhalsims, though.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    The frame skipping online is even worse than the sound bug.

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So how is this game? I've come into some money and I've been thinking about rebuying a console for fighting game purposes.

Better or worse than SSFIV?

The short for you...

At the very least, Chun is supposedly looking good at the moment, so you have that.

Juri may not suck either, so you could try pairing both of them for who you played in SF4. No clue how good or bad that would end up.

It's coming out for PC in May-ish, I think. Someone else can correct my date if I'm wrong, it's still a few months out. So you don't necessarily need to re-buy a console if you feel like waiting.

The long for you...

At the moment, general consensus seems to be people who started playing before SF4 came out like it better, typically a lot better, than SF4. The pacing and footsies get compared to CvS2 quite a lot, both by people I would trust saying that and by people who like the game but are just parroting that statement. People who started playing with SF4 seem split 50/50 on whether they like or hate it. You can also skim the thread here as people have been pretty vocal about the game, what they like and don't like, in between the other non-sense.

The only universal negative, gameplay issue seems to be the time outs. Not everyone is convinced, even with gems, (currently they're disabled in tourney play due to time constraints, they take too long to setup at the moment) that is going to go away. Personally I don't see it as an issue; if someone wants to lame it out by taking advantage of all the cinematics and having two life bars let 'em. Other people are turned off by it. Hard to gauge a response to that without playing it though to see how much it affects you/bothers you.

Day to day play you run into the online being, roughly, as good on XBL as your SF4 (vanilla) connections were. If that was acceptable then you'll probably be okay. If that was unacceptable then online might cause some hatred. The sound bug is annoying no matter how you look at it, that will happen to you at some point, even if frequency of it seems to come and go.

Column on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    If I bought another console it would probably be a PS3 this time around. The reason I am considering the console and not waiting is because the PC crowd for fighting games is generally smaller. It has crossed my mind though.

If I bought another console it would probably be a PS3 this time around. The reason I am considering the console and not waiting is because the PC crowd for fighting games is generally smaller. It has crossed my mind though.
    ChaosHat you would be proud of me

I am playing Chunster like woah

This game is the return of 3S Chun minus back fierce.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Whoops. I just completed all of the chin li trials and I turned off my ps3 afterward because I was running late.

steam_sig.png
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

you should still get it on 360 because we miss you terribly

also I find it a lot more fun than sfiv but it also has more characters I actually like

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    Every Capcom fighter I've ever played has seen me choose Chun as my first character. And every one of them has also seen me drop her after a few days. For whatever reason, I just don't "get" the character, as much as I like her. I can't play her.

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    I do not get along well with charge motions

gimme dose quarter circles

Every Capcom fighter I've ever played has seen me choose Chun as my first character. And every one of them has also seen me drop her after a few days. For whatever reason, I just don't "get" the character, as much as I like her. I can't play her.

I "get" Chun in SF4 but I don't play her because she is pretty not good in AE2012. Same with MVC3. Fair weather Chun fan.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    lets get a ps3 lobby going

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sorry missed your invite pook.

edit: i just spent an entire round looking out for Fei Long's dragon kick on wake-up and wondering how his new combos worked.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Sorry missed your invite pook.

edit: i just spent an entire round looking out for Fei Long's dragon kick on wake-up and wondering how his new combos worked.

It's almost like he's a completely different character isn't it? :lol:

steam_sig.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Tried out some ranked online matches tonight. Went 5-7 with Asuka/Chun. Definitely did better when Chun was in, mostly due to my familiarity with her playstyle. Looks like it's gonna be an uphill battle figuring out Asuka's pokes, ways to get in, and so forth. She just doesn't have that much reach. :-/

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    I do not get along well with charge motions

gimme dose quarter circles

it's like we're the same person or something

MNC Dover wrote: »
    Tried out some ranked online matches tonight. Went 5-7 with Asuka/Chun. Definitely did better when Chun was in, mostly due to my familiarity with her playstyle. Looks like it's gonna be an uphill battle figuring out Asuka's pokes, ways to get in, and so forth. She just doesn't have that much reach. :-/
    Asuka has zero footsies to compensate for how hardcore her damage/mixups are up close. Put Chun on point and tag in Asuka because Chun has the most godlike normals around and her meter building is some of the best around. Whiff double fierce in the air and look at how much meter you get! That way you bypass Asuka's limitations and play to Chun Li's strengths.