As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    I tried out a few big ones, but they're awkward. At this point I tend to use a combination of two trays for each unit, at 5-wide or 7-wide.

snm_sig.jpg
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    GW's modular movement tray pack comes with two 200mm x 200mm sections. That's big enough for a horde of 20mm troops with 10 ranks. And at $10 they're one of the most reasonably priced things GW makes.

I use half of one section for my mournfang unit.

steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    I must have the old trays. I need to pick up some more anyways.

I'm not sure I'm going to run anything in horde formation (maybe a unit of 30-40 dwarfs) but hard to say. It's kind of a game-time decision, I suppose.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Enjoy trying to horde up 25mm bases.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    you get the GW movement tray maker and make one the size you need for your horde unit.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Yeah, but they only have 8 25mm base spaces on that 200mm plate, so you end up cutting 2 more off so you can have 10 files. Then you glue them together as a frankenbase.

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    I've seen a lot of people do hordes with two independent trays moving together. I made a frankentray and it looks and works fine.

E26cO.jpg
    hmm, i did a 25mm horde base and didn't have an issue..odd.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Any chance you are confusing 20mm bases with 25mm bases? Because their custom kit is 10x10 20mm or 8x8 25mm.

I started a frankentray and it was ok. Just use plastic glue so it bonds properly, and let it dry flat. I also am going to use magnetic sheeting on the tray so my mans stay straight, which will cover up any unsightly seams.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    I started a frankentray and it was ok. Just use plastic glue so it bonds properly, and let it dry flat. I also am going to use magnetic sheeting on the tray so my mans stay straight, which will cover up any unsightly seams.

No Mark of Slaanesh, then?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    I could be but i know i been rolling Orcs as a horde and don't remember having to cobble together 2 trays like that.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Strange. The custom tray is very definitly 8x8 for 25mm, and I doubt the extra overhang the edges add put another 5cm space in there.

For anyone looking at Dark Elves, Raging heroes have a teaser. Basically, they're making a resin Dark Elf Witch regiment (at least, they said they were a while ago, and this certainly looks like a teaser for it), since Avatars of War dropped their plans for one to make their not-Chaos Warriors.

something-wicked.jpg?100574

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    p...plastic? oh my.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    No, from what I understand, resin. Full resin regiment.

edited March 2012
    Scibor now has the best Ogre model ever.

rhino_01.jpg

And the best Necromancer.

necromancer_01.jpg

-Loki- on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote:
    No, from what I understand, resin. Full resin regiment.

awww, butts
    still looks pretty nice though

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Warpfire Dragon!

warpfire.jpg

Explosive Experimental Rules

Dragon, huge, eats warpstone, breathes explosions. Now in three flavours!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    So, as I'm understanding it, the horde formation is used to allow the 3rd rank to provide supporting attacks. The downside is that you have fewer rank for combat resolution. Is that an accurate statement?

Yes. Also, being 10 models wide can generally make you harder to maneuver.

edited March 2012
    Thoughts on this 1000 point dwarf list?
    149 Runesmith (Rune of Balance, Rune of Breaking x2)
     50 Dragon Slayer

215 Dwarf Warriors x19 (w/GW and full command)
    165 Quarreller Rangers x10 (w/GW and full command)

270 Hammerers x15 (full command)
    150 Cannon (Rune of Forging, Burning (this might include engineer?))

Total, 999 points

Warriors and Hammerers deploy supporting each other. Runesmith in with the warriors. Rangers deploy to protect a flank or threaten with their xbows as well as being available for GW flanking (which makes them a better choice than an organ gun, IMO). Slayer protects the other flank/the artillery.

zenpotato on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Cool list, but I don't know dwarf things.

Could it handle THIS:

Ogres:
    Firebelly with ring of ruin and extra weapon

8 ogres fC
    8 belchers with musician
    3 YHETEES (oh snaaap)
    2 sabretusks separately

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    Yes, yes it could.

Oh yea, there's a cannon there...

Your prevalence of flaming attacks makes me rethink whether TK is really a great idea for a second army...

The general idea is that the cannon and the quarrelers force you to close with me (the cannon going for big nasties or units while the quarrelers deploying as scouts to offset my slow movement), while the warriors and hammerers acts as a hammer and anvil. The dragon slayer floats around to protect against scouts/fast cav or moves up the flank if my warmachines aren't threatened. I'm tempted to see if I could lose some runes or unit upgrades and get a Strollaz banner so I could take an extra movement after deployment.

The only concern I'd have is that the quarrelers get tied up early, thus reducing the urgency to come at you. One cannon is relatively easily avoided, depending on how early it's deployed.

2 fireballs a turn at the cannon!! Yea!!

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Warpfire Dragon!

warpfire.jpg

Explosive Experimental Rules

Dragon, huge, eats warpstone, breathes explosions. Now in three flavours!

Also has plastic wings from the DE dragon kit.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    zenpotato wrote: »
    So, as I'm understanding it, the horde formation is used to allow the 3rd rank to provide supporting attacks. The downside is that you have fewer rank for combat resolution. Is that an accurate statement?

No, because anything you're going to be bringing in a horde you'll be bringing like 5 ranks of anyway.

edited March 2012
    10x10 skavenslaves, 6 units. 42 hellpit abominations.

TheLawinator on
    SJ wrote: »

No, because anything you're going to be bringing in a horde you'll be bringing like 5 ranks of anyway.
    Well, I think he was asking if you're comparing similar numbers of models. I.e. a 10x3 horde's downside is that it'll have less rank bonus for CR than a 5x6 reformed unit.

Well, I think he was asking if you're comparing similar numbers of models. I.e. a 10x3 horde's downside is that it'll have less rank bonus for CR than a 5x6 reformed unit.

Pretty much. I'm not sure I'd ever actually field 50 dwarf warriors in a unit, but I could see maybe 40. Something to think about, I guess.

10x10 skavenslaves, 6 units. 42 hellpit abominations.

And this is why I have to take 2 cannons, 2 grudge throwers, and an organ gun.

Pretty much. I'm not sure I'd ever actually field 50 dwarf warriors in a unit, but I could see maybe 40. Something to think about, I guess.

Yeah, another consideration is how many casualties a unit can suffer before it starts losing attacks. A horde of 30 is going to lose attacks every time it loses a model. You'll probably want 40 if you're hording, so that you can take some losses and still swing back at full strength. For squishier units (Dwarfs are stout, after all) 50+ isn't unreasonable

So my buddy enjoyed our first Fantasy demo day and has decided to start up! He's going with VC, because he couldn't decide on an army playstyle after one day of gaming, and he loves their models/undead theme.

In trying to get him started up, I'm thinking a battalion and Vampire is a good starting point. I'll be building a TK army alongside his, so we'll end up with a couple of 600-650 point undead forces to play against one another.

At that low points level, a vampire is probably going to be detrimental. They're expensive. I'd go with a Necromancer and a Wight King that low.

Seeing as the Wight king model is freaking pimp, i would agree with loki. Though I don't know much about Vamps.

I'm confused. Wight King + Necro is 150 before upgrades, a base Vampire is 100.

And yeah, the Wight King model is so awesome that I'm going to use it for my Tomb Kings. TK vs. VC should be an interesting ongoing matchup, if only because there's so much fear/terror shit on the board that's not even going to matter.

i think hes just saying you would get more utility from a Whight king and Necro then just 1 vampire.

This discussion has been closed.