As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Train Alliance 2012

• DocBurnsDocBurns Registered User regular
    What Line You Will Be On: Metal Gear
    Name: Hayden
    What Stop You Will Be Boarding From: Rochester NY (Or Albany, it was a little confusing)
    Ticket Purchase: Yes~!

• BinarySamuraiBinarySamurai Code Chef Registered User regular
    Yeah you have to buy early for the metalgear line out of chicago or the price gets absolutely ridiculous as the train sells out.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    It is my dream that one day the Metal Gear is just all PAXers.

E6LkoFK.png

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Ah crap. I just went to book a second seat for the sonic line for my brother who found out he can join me last minute this year and they hiked up the rate to $118. I'm gonna have to change my train to the 174 Northeast Regional. Hour and a half earlier and I can get both our tickets for less than the price of one on the 176. Bummer. I'll miss you guys this year!

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm just being paranoid... but when does Amtrak mail out tickets?

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

I think you pick up the ticket at the train station from one of the kiosks unless you specified mail.

amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245657848

• BinarySamuraiBinarySamurai Code Chef Registered User regular
    I just got my tickets for going to Chicago a few days ago and I ordered them beginning of February. When I called to check on them they said they normally don't mail them till close to the departure date. With the Chicago to Boston tickets I didn't get a mail option just a pick up at station option.

• GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Ah crap. I just went to book a second seat for the sonic line for my brother who found out he can join me last minute this year and they hiked up the rate to $118. I'm gonna have to change my train to the 174 Northeast Regional. Hour and a half earlier and I can get both our tickets for less than the price of one on the 176. Bummer. I'll miss you guys this year!

Departing 30th Street Station at 12:16pm on Thursday? That's the one I'll be on. I'll be getting off at Boston Back Bay at 6:26pm.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • UnnDunnUnnDunn New York, NYRegistered User regular
    What Line You Will Be On: Sonic Line
    Name: Uche
    What Stop You Will Be Boarding From: New York Penn Station, NY
    Ticket Purchase: Months ago

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

JerYnkFan wrote: »

I think you pick up the ticket at the train station from one of the kiosks unless you specified mail.

amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245657848

Well my fears have been alleviated.

Just got my train tickets in the mail today!

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    Departing 30th Street Station at 12:16pm on Thursday? That's the one I'll be on. I'll be getting off at Boston Back Bay at 6:26pm.

I'll be taking the Northeast Regional out of Penn Station at 2pm on Thursday. It looks like you're on the Acela Express.

• XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    Okay, my ticket is paid for, and I'm bringing two friends: Ryan and Rob.

Also, there will be cookies.

• gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    So I screwed up and thought I bought a ticket but turns out I didn't and now they're sold out except for the posh rooms that cost too much. If anyone cancels, can it be transferred to me and my friend? Any way shape or form I can get 2 tickets for 448 Lakeshore Limited from CHI to BOS (Metal Gear line)?

I'll be taking the Northeast Regional out of Penn Station at 2pm on Thursday. It looks like you're on the Acela Express.

The whatta express?

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    edited March 2012
    So since I screwed up, and am flying into Chicago already. I'm taking the other train that requires 1 stop. If anyone else is dumb like me, I'll be on that train with Bitstream. I purchased this:

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

48 Lake Shore Limited (CHI - ALB)
    Depart: 9:30 pm, Wed, Apr 4, 2012
    Arrive: 2:50 pm, Thu, Apr 5, 2012
    Duration: 16 hr, 20 min

448 Lake Shore Limited (ALB - BOS)
    Depart: 3:25 pm, Thu, Apr 5, 2012
    Arrive: 9:10 pm, Thu, Apr 5, 2012
    Duration: 5 hr, 45 min

We're already flying into Chicago. So...I'd rather play games on a train with one other person than pay for a flight and pay for more hotel. I got insurance on this though, so I can cancel. So if anyone else cancels tickets, please contact me to transfer to me maybe before you actually cancel!
    Propriety wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I have yet to run into an instance where the any train was sold out far enough in advance to warrant splitting the group into two. The goal for the ETA is to get as many on one train as possible. If we started supporting multiple trains per line, the group would get smaller. This would be something to consider if the Sonic Line sold out in, say, January or early February.

Keep in mind, the time chosen for the Sonic and Metal Gear lines are chosen so that people on other lines are able to connect to those two final lines. A second, earlier train would make it impossible for people on other trains to make that connection.

Oh, sure, I understand and agree. I wasn't so much thinking about being sold out, as much as the fact that at a certain point, we will fill up an entire train car. People will be forced to split into two groups anyway, and while being separated by train car isn't that dramatic, there are other limits to train enjoyability. For example, the cafe car eventually fills up with PAX people; only so many people can be playing games there at one time.

Just a thought. People forced to take the earlier train for other reasons may want to organize something themselves, like a certain train car to congregate in.

gidgets on
    That's the same train. The 48 splits off and goes to NYC, while the 448 goes on to boston, but from Chicago to Albany they are the same train. I just checked the schedule and that's definitely the same train (there's only one per day that runs that route).

E6LkoFK.png

That's the same train. The 48 splits off and goes to NYC, while the 448 goes on to boston, but from Chicago to Albany they are the same train. I just checked the schedule and that's definitely the same train (there's only one per day that runs that route).

MOE, you're my hero for pointing this out!!! Looks like I will be on the same train from Albany to Boston you mean! Which means I can do group photo again! (I bought a new camera!)

It's the same train the whole way. The 448 and 48 are the same train until you hit Albany. Then some cars split off and go to NYC while the others go to Boston. You will literally be on the same train the whole way. Amtrak must split the availability of tickets by train number, even though they're technically the same train until Albany.

E6LkoFK.png

Ooh, we do a group photo? Neat!

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    It's the same train the whole way. The 448 and 48 are the same train until you hit Albany. Then some cars split off and go to NYC while the others go to Boston. You will literally be on the same train the whole way. Amtrak must split the availability of tickets by train number, even though they're technically the same train until Albany.

Yeah, when you get near Albany, they start giving you warnings about how you really don't want to be in the back cars if you're going to Boston. They were very thorough about it. The division last year was at the dining car, so stay forward of that and you'll be fine. If you're on the Wednesday night train from Chicago to Boston, you cannot possibly not be on the right train.

• MalaMala CeciltuckyRegistered User regular

You both are on the same train, which is coincidentally the same one my brother and I are riding (boarding at Wilmington). I think the confusion is most get off at South Station (6:34pm arrival) where as GrimRupert is getting off a stop before at Back Bay (6:26pm). My brother and I plan on grabbing seats in the rear-most car.

Mala wrote: »

You both are on the same train, which is coincidentally the same one my brother and I are riding (boarding at Wilmington). I think the confusion is most get off at South Station (6:34pm arrival) where as GrimRupert is getting off a stop before at Back Bay (6:26pm). My brother and I plan on grabbing seats in the rear-most car.

I may end up aiming for the rear-most car then just to be in range of other potential 3DS owners, or in range of some good conversation heading on up. Last year I tried to entertain myself for six hours on Pokemon and a Zelda manga, and...well, I like Pokemon, but not THAT much.

I'll have a wider range of 3DS games this time around, and potentially a new laptop or tablet, buuuut that only breaks up the monotony so much.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    I accidentally same train. w00t! w00t!

Yup, here's the one from the first pax east train:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gidgets/4481005614/
    Ooh, we do a group photo? Neat!

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Mala wrote: »

I have a feeling that there will be quite a few PAX people on that train, even though it's not official. (On page 5:
    Kyuss wrote: »
    My friends and I will be taking the early morning Philly train as well.

which might be the same train?) So just be on the lookout for PAX people! Don't be afraid to walk the length of the train, if I remember correctly, they don't bother assigning seats for short trips like Philly to Boston, so you can look around before you sit.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    Well if anyone else gets on for that one at Penn Station my brother and I will be stoked to hang out. Last year I never left the dining car(somehow). I'll be keeping an eye out for fellow PAX-ers.

Would it be a good idea to simply have our PAX badges on somewhere visible while on the train?

Wearing them on the train raises your ability to lose them. Should it break off or you misplace it, you would then be unable to get into PAX.

E6LkoFK.png

Yeah, last year the clips for them were really fragile too, so unless they've improved them, I'd wait to break those out at PAX.

I'll probably just wear a nerdy shirt or something. Or just look for the guy with the mohawk. Those are rare I guess.

• alfalfadudealfalfadude ohioRegistered User regular
    so since the trains are packed/sold out/ect does that most likely mean that there will be designated seats?

• DocBurnsDocBurns Registered User regular
    Wearing them on the train raises your ability to lose them. Should it break off or you misplace it, you would then be unable to get into PAX.
    Yeah, last year the clips for them were really fragile too, so unless they've improved them, I'd wait to break those out at PAX.

I'll probably just wear a nerdy shirt or something. Or just look for the guy with the mohawk. Those are rare I guess.

Well, if we know what line we're on, then we can just hum music from that particular game series to identify us. What a thrilllll...

You won't be the only one! My younger brother will be about 7 feet tall with his through PAX. Not sure if he's planning to do it for the train yet.

Already beaten at the mohawk meta-game. :(

Signs to spot a PAXer:
    1. They are looking for an outlet
    2. They are playing DS or PSP
    3. They are reading manga
    4. Nerdy shirts
    5. PAX shirts
    6. Nerds come in packs, normally, because everyone is friend. Look for a pack of PAXers. Those are easier to spot.
    7. They are carrying board games/playing magic
    8. Look for the people who have fun

gidgets wrote: »
    Signs to spot a PAXer:
    1. They are looking for an outlet
    2. They are playing DS or PSP
    3. They are reading manga
    4. Nerdy shirts
    5. PAX shirts
    6. Nerds come in packs, normally, because everyone is friend. Look for a pack of PAXers. Those are easier to spot.
    7. They are carrying board games/playing magic
    8. Look for the people who have fun

Duly noted. :)

• Nicole452Nicole452 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    Looks like north bound's going to be really quiet until the sonic line starts

btw, Moe, you can update my status to tickets purchased for me, Bitstream, and Zedarius!!

• Nicole452Nicole452 Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    http://youtu.be/1aj3SIXUqlo

In honor of Jordan Mechner being the keynote speaker I recommend getting pumped for the PAX East Train ride by playing this amazing game from the 90s called The Last Express that he designed.

You can download it here:
    http://www.dotemu.com/en/the-last-express
    and other places, I'm sure

Moe Fwacky on
  • alfalfadudealfalfadude ohioRegistered User regular
    has anybody gotten their tickets mailed to them yet?!

Hrm. Anyone have experience in changing times? I might join the Sonic Line instead of being on the train up. Unlikely, though, as prices are probably even higher now.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
This discussion has been closed.