As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Hey unintentional, if you still have the cobalt scabara or Abomination, I'd take one. My in game name is Akaike Sayuri.

I also have an extra hydra if anyone wants one. If anyone wants some dedicated minis, there's a bunch I can give away.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hey unintentional, if you still have the cobalt scabara or Abomination, I'd take one. My in game name is Akaike Sayuri.

I also have an extra hydra if anyone wants one. If anyone wants some dedicated minis, there's a bunch I can give away.

the abomination got claimed already but yes you can have the scabara :)

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Aaaand 20 on my elementalist. Now I need to finish the campaigns and figure out how to get more Hall of Monument points. And steal all the presents from a friend's neglected account.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Aaaand 20 on my elementalist. Now I need to finish the campaigns and figure out how to get more Hall of Monument points. And steal all the presents from a friend's neglected account.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards - Good start

For fairly easyish point set:
    3 points - Accounts linked.
    5 points - Beat all 3 campaigns, getting Protector title in at least two of them.
    6 points - 1 rare pet (which gives both that statue and the normal pet statue), M.O.X., and 7 more Heroes.
    (You can get 8 pts if you do all the hero armors/pets)
    2 points - 1 Tormented Oppressor weapon
    3 points - 1 unique and 1 rare miniature.

The only money there would be possibly to buy a few of the hero armors if you got frustrated with farming (*cough*shadow nexus*cough*) and one of the minis since Canthan New Year. Tormented weapon you can get for free completing War in Kryta.

Up to 24pts myself, out of a goal of 25, basically down to finishing my Nightfall vanquishing for the final point. Spent a fair bit on a Destroyer weapon to get a quick point (rather than buying an elite armor set).

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    You know, I only just realised that there's only 30 things to unlock for the HoM and the rest really is just titles. I thought they were like, secretly hidden away or something....I think that makes 35 my ultimate goal, I can get to 28 fairly easily and 30 with a bit of a grind, but 35'll be the less realistic goal I think.

Fantastic
    edited March 2012
    steejee wrote: »

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards - Good start

5 points - Beat all 3 campaigns, getting Protector title in at least two of them.
    6 points - 1 rare pet (which gives both that statue and the normal pet statue), M.O.X., and 7 more Heroes.
    2 points - 1 Tormented weapon

The only money there would be possibly to buy a few of the hero armors if you got frustrated with farming (*cough*shadow nexus*cough*) and one of the minis since Canthan New Year. Tormented weapon you can get for free completing War in Kryta.

Up to 24pts myself, out of a goal of 25, basically down to finishing my Nightfall vanquishing for the final point. Spent a fair bit on a Destroyer weapon to get a quick point (rather than buying an elite armor set).
    Sweet, thanks. I saw people recommending buying "max armor" in places. What's that? How I buy?

edit: Also, any recommendations for a skillset for an elementalist to romp around in the PvE effectively? I have prophecies/eotn/nightfall. Is there a nice resource somewhere for good builds/hero builds?

SniperGuy on

Sweet, thanks. I saw people recommending buying "max armor" in places. What's that? How I buy?

what campaign are you in and what campaigns do you own? They sell "max" armor in a ton of places
    it's 60 armor for the caster classes, 70 for R/A/D, 80 for P/W
    droknar's forge, kaineng centre, consular docks are the first available places to buy'em i think
    prophecies, factions, nightfall in that order

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular

Just a quick note, Tormented weapons are actually from the Domain of Anguish in Nightfall. WiK gives you enough medals for a free Oppressor's weapon.

Darklyre wrote: »

Just a quick note, Tormented weapons are actually from the Domain of Anguish in Nightfall. WiK gives you enough medals for a free Oppressor's weapon.

Right, brain fart :p

Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    I assume the tormented/oppressor's etc weapons are pretty good, as well? Do I need to finish a campaign before going for those? Still blazing through Nightfall, though I did hit level 20 through use of that Boxing thing in EotN. (Also still accepting skill builds because I'm fairly certain mine is terrible)

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    They're the same stats as the other weapons. The area where you can get the margonite gems to trade for Tormented weapons are late in Nightfall, and the Oppressors are from the War in Kryta questline, which is available when you beat Prophecies.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

the abomination got claimed already but yes you can have the scabara :)

Yaaay thank you

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I assume the tormented/oppressor's etc weapons are pretty good, as well? Do I need to finish a campaign before going for those? Still blazing through Nightfall, though I did hit level 20 through use of that Boxing thing in EotN. (Also still accepting skill builds because I'm fairly certain mine is terrible)

All weapon types can drop with max stats and minimum attribute requirements. The only benefit to Tormented/Oppressor's/Destroyer weapons is the graphical effect on the weapon itself (Tormented shields shimmer, for instance, while Oppressor weapons have a glowing jewel).

Darklyre wrote: »

All weapon types can drop with max stats and minimum attribute requirements. The only benefit to Tormented/Oppressor's/Destroyer weapons is the graphical effect on the weapon itself (Tormented shields shimmer, for instance, while Oppressor weapons have a glowing jewel).

Well, they do net you an extra HoM point as well, but not really an ingame benefit :p

Greens are usually the easiest max stat weapons to get, as you just have to farm specific elites for them. You usually need to work out which one works best with your build first though. IE, I use Zealous scythes, which are -1 energy regen but +1 energy per enemy hit - since I'm a dervish that works out well as I'm usually hitting multiple opponents at once and have enchantments which also boost my energy. No weapon will generally be straight up 'the best' for a class. Most greens can be replicated with inscriptions/hilts/etc as well, the greens just make it easy as they're already filled out when you get them (and usually look pretty nice).

• Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    So I have a question that I have not found an answer for yet.

GW2 is looking good so I reckon I will get in on it. I have never played GW1 before. Is it still worth shelling out the £12 for Nightfall (I have read various places that's the best), or should I just wait for GW2...

steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Kafka87 wrote: »

GW2 is looking good so I reckon I will get in on it. I have never played GW1 before. Is it still worth shelling out the £12 for Nightfall (I have read various places that's the best), or should I just wait for GW2...

Do you want to play GW1? You'd need Eye of the North too, really, both to get the bonus items for GW2 and, maybe more importantly, to get the story that transitions GW1 into GW2 and sets the lore.

The game is definitely very old, and it shows in a lot of places. I find it tremendously satisfying because the gameplay is so different from what you find in the two game types close to it, Diablo-like games and MMO's, but it's also insanely frustrating sometimes to realize that this game predates or disregards a lot of things that are just standard in games now (Like a z-axis).

So... is it worth it? Well, I'd played Prophecies, but shelled out $30 to pick up Nightfall, Factions and Eye of the North. Now I get to experience the entire story and earn some cosmetic items for GW2. But I'm enjoying playing the game on its own merits, too. Really depends on whether you want a new game to play right now, and one that has a steep learning curve at that.

What is this I don't even.
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kafka87 wrote: »

Nightfall is definitely the most accessible of the three base campaigns. GW1 does offer a free trial, though, and while I think that may plunk you down in a section of Prophecies, which isn't the best, it's also free. And if you do find that the game catches you, Prophecies/Eye of the North are by far the most important components as far as what's going to relate to Guild Wars 2.

My advice is to give the free trial a shot, remembering that this is more of a co-operative/competitive RPG than an MMO, and if you like it, spring for the Trilogy.

• Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Cheers for the advice, giving the trial a go now. Rolling a Mesmer as they seem interesting....

steam_sig.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I know that making a new character is probably counter productive to my goal of getting HoM points but I did make an assassin/ranger last night to play around with critical eye and a bow.

It was some good times.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    So, Sylph already has everything normal complete and is ready to do hard mode. I haven't done normal yet. Can she just set shit to HM and I join her, and I get credit for the NM and HM clears with her?

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, Sylph already has everything normal complete and is ready to do hard mode. I haven't done normal yet. Can she just set shit to HM and I join her, and I get credit for the NM and HM clears with her?
    You won't be able to join her until you've completed Normal mode yourself. It'd be equivalent to being in a party, and she attempts to teleport to an outpost you don't have access to yet.

Entriech wrote: »
    You won't be able to join her until you've completed Normal mode yourself. It'd be equivalent to being in a party, and she attempts to teleport to an outpost you don't have access to yet.

Ah. Poop. Oh well. So, if I do the missions and don't bonus, then we HM missions and DO bonus, does that count toward the NM title?

Ah. Poop. Oh well. So, if I do the missions and don't bonus, then we HM missions and DO bonus, does that count toward the NM title?

The HM and NM titles are seperate tracks - you get one title for completing all bonuses in NM, another for completing all bonuses in HM. Most of the bonuses aren't too hard to complete, and worst case if you fail one just continue on and come back when the campaign is complete to finish them all. There was maybe one or two bonuses/masters total across all three campaigns that took me more than 2 tries, most I got the first time through.

Oh, yeah, I'm with you. Factions is the only campaign that concerns me. Although I still haven't bonused fucking Dunes of Despair in Prophecies. Christ.

Oh, yeah, I'm with you. Factions is the only campaign that concerns me. Although I still haven't bonused fucking Dunes of Despair in Prophecies. Christ.

I think the only Factions mission that gave me trouble was Eternal Grove, and that just took some good hero positioning to pull off in the end (and not running out to fight the afflicted).

Dunes of Despair - took me a few tries but eventually what worked was that I just left two (or three) heroes with the guy you're protecting during one of the early lulls (one Minion Master, on healer/interrupt type IIRC) and sprinted off to kill the three bonus bosses. I completely ignored the siege worms for the entire fight, just healed through them. HM I can't imagine doing with Heroes but NM it worked out well.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    There is a kind of "cheat" for Dunes of Despair. If you talk to the ghost, he will wait until you talk to him again. Set him down far outside of the main temple and rush in with your heroes to kill the evil boss. The timer will not start. Then use a necrotic travel ability to "jump" the bridge and kill the three bosses at your leisure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3MQE3HJhZk shows how to do it in more detail.

26904.png
    As a further note on that, make sure you turn off any corpse exploiting abilities your heroes have before you try that part. My Olias decided minions were more important.

As a further note on that, make sure you turn off any corpse exploiting abilities your heroes have before you try that part. My Olias decided minions were more important.

oh my god i would be so mad if that happened to me

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    So I formed What A Nice Guild (PAF) and attempted to join an alliance but it keeps telling me no such guild exists. Eh?

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Did you pick the guild's allegiance (Kurzick/Luxon) yet?

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    KURZIC! Unless Geod swapped to Luxon at some point.

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Nope, we're still Kurzick. I can add you as an alliance member, though I'm not sure if it matters if you're in an alliance or not. Can you even reserve guild names for GW2?

• JaentherJaenther Registered User regular
    Got a request you guys can probably help with better than my pvp-loving guildies. I've spent hours now failing miserably at the last quest in Hard Mode Winds of Change. I just get stomped right at the end, no matter how well I was doing up to that point. I'm trying to do it with 7 heroes.

Any suggestions?

• RookRook Registered User regular
    Jaenther wrote: »
    Got a request you guys can probably help with better than my pvp-loving guildies. I've spent hours now failing miserably at the last quest in Hard Mode Winds of Change. I just get stomped right at the end, no matter how well I was doing up to that point. I'm trying to do it with 7 heroes.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, done this a couple of days ago. The trick for me was to take her down till about 75% when the spawns start to become overwhelming and then move everyone onto your side of the river and out of aggro range of the mirror forms. Deal with whatever phantoms and ministry come on your patch and hopefully you and your allies will be able to do just enough damage to finish her off. Being able to cast Spoil Victor on her as well helps as it's quite long lasting and she'll just kill herself.

As for build I used:
    1 MM
    1 UA healer
    2x Mesmers (don't use panic as that can seriously wreck your team)
    1x Ray of Judge
    2x Rits with Consume Soul (1 heal, 1 spirits)

Probably not the greatest team combo but it seemed to work ok.

I rocked with Great Dwarf Weapon (cast on the ally sins) and Spoil Victor.

• RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Double post.

On the flip side, what does everyone need for the HoM?

Rook on
    Rook wrote: »
    Double post.

Just 3 titles at this point and I hit my 25 pt goal. Vanquishing Elona for Vanq + Cart + Sunspear + Lightbringer for it since it lets me just sorta do it at my own pace and actually makes me money.

The Fire God Vambraces and Mini Golem are the only two things above 25 that I have any interest in, so unless some Vabbian armor falls in my lap for 2 quick points I probably won't bother going beyond 25.

Double post.

I'm at 13 but on the cusp of some points.

Not too much effort to get it to 20 at this point and that would make me happy. Anything past 20 is pretty much just icing on the cake for me.

Geod wrote: »
    Nope, we're still Kurzick. I can add you as an alliance member, though I'm not sure if it matters if you're in an alliance or not. Can you even reserve guild names for GW2?

You can, stated directly in the FAQ. Try adding me then, because as far as I can tell I'm spelling Kansas City Hotsteppers correctly.

edited March 2012
    Entaru wrote: »
    Double post.

Not too much effort to get it to 20 at this point and that would make me happy. Anything past 20 is pretty much just icing on the cake for me.

They definitely seem to come in bursts at first... I think I went from like 8 to 15 in just a few days. All those bonuses from 'Specific ___ + Any ___' add up. I'm pretty sure someone completely new to GW right now could still do 20pts fairly easily before GW2 comes out.

If you come into some money (like 10e+ [~80k+]) you can blow it for some added points with points from minis and weapons. The three super-prestige armors definitely aren't worth it if you're not going for 30+ though, nor are the PvP titles.

steejee on
    Entaru wrote: »
    Double post.

They definitely seem to come in bursts at first... I think I went from like 8 to 15 in just a few days. All those bonuses from 'Specific ___ + Any ___' add up. I'm pretty sure someone completely new to GW right now could still do 20pts fairly easily before GW2 comes out.

If you come into some money (like 10e+ [~80k+]) you can blow it for some added points with points from minis and weapons. The three super-prestige armors definitely aren't worth it if you're not going for 30+ though, nor are the PvP titles.

I'm one title away from the three extra points for a full title monument. I also am one pet and one hero away from a full monument on that side. I have a full mini pet monument and the easiest point to get there is one unique minipet which in all my birthday years I never ended up getting.

I am one armor piece away from the cheapest armor you can set in the armor monument. I already have Primeval which I've had since Nighfall proper. So I only would need one more elite armor set for another point there.

I am only missing the drake kabob to finish WiK and get the oppressor weapon. However I need to either redo it on my ranger or run my paragon all the way back to sardelac sanitarium to get the votive candles. A bit of an annoying thing.

I'm definitely not as rich nor as well connected as I used to be.