As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Unity3D On] We make games, not engines, ITT (NSF 56K)

13»

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I've completed the 3d Platformer tutorial, I really recommend it for starting out. Now I'm just tooling around trying to make a mario galaxy like gravity system.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there are a lot of good tutorials out there. The 3D platformer one is especially good, because it deals with collision and some other topics that are tough to just figure out through experimentation, as they require some more exotic components.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PantomimePantomime Registered User regular
    I decided on Unity3d myself for its portability, flexible license, and large array of plugins. Now I just have to learn the thing. Any tips for getting into it? I am Linux Admin by profession. Most of the programming I do these days are shell scripts etc.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Best tips I have are to read the OP of this thread, I describe sort of the basics of how games are put together in Unity. Then do the 3D Platformer tutorial we were talking about. Also check out 3DBuzz. I think I have some other tutorials listed in the OP.

Start small, try and getting a completed game under your belt, even if that games is mechanically a total clone of something else (Tetris or some kind of block/gem falling puzzle games are always a favorite). The goal is to complete a game, start to finish, and see how it comes together. From there you start learning the lessons needed to build something bigger.

Honestly, your first game shouldn't take more than a couple of solid weekends to put together, it should be that kind of simple.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling