As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[USB Issues] - Possibly frying things?

Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
Hey folks, I'm at my wits end and not sure what to do next so I figure I'll ask here.

So yesterday I am playing a game on the PC using my MadCatz gamepad and everything is fine. Quit out, come back a bit later, fire it up, hit any button to continue and nothing happens. I notice the green LED is not lit. Unplug/Plug back in, the 4 LED ring lights up, then goes out. Power OFF, and then boot back up. Same thing. Plug it into a laptop, same thing. Great, my gamepad has died. Right?

So tonight, I'm playing a game, and my Logitech G930 headphones beep to tell me I have less than an hour charge left on them. So I plug them in, while wearing them, and continue on. It beeps again a little later, and I think that's strange, but pay it no mind. After it beeps again, then sound goes out, I take them off and notice that there is no Green Light on the headset to show it's charging. Now I'm not happy, as these were a gift to myself and can't afford to replace them. Hell, I can't afford to replace the gamepad right now either, but that's all another story. SO I plug it into another port, and HOPE that plugging it in will charge and maybe my USB port(s)/channel is bad. Nope. Go to the laptop, plug it in, Recognizes the G930. Great!....no charge light...So it's recognizing the RF dongle that tells it what it is, but the headset itself is not charging. So I then grab a USB/wall outlet power charger from the Garmin, and plug the headset in. Dongle lights up, but the headset doesn't show a green charging light.

So, I run SPECCY to double check my Voltages and their showing fine. I know my BIOS has a voltage protection thing in it, and I'm about to boot into that to watch those voltages to make sure they match up with what SPECCY showed me.

So, I am sitting here at 1:22am EST and unable to get in touch with Logitech to see about Warranty/Replacement, and just a bit upset with the whole thing. Anyone have any ideas, or glimmers of hope on what may be happening? USB +5 voltage shorting out my stuff? Coincidence?

If you're curious here is some basic Specs:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 57 °C
Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2A-VM HDMI (Socket AM2 ) 40 °C
Graphics
VX2450 SERIES (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GTX 460 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 38 °C
Hard Drives
156GB Western Digital WDC WD1600JD-00HBB0 ATA Device (SATA) 47 °C
313GB Seagate ST3320613AS ATA Device (SATA) 41 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHES208 2 ATA Device
Audio
Logitech G930 Headset

Motherboard
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M2A-VM HDMI (Socket AM2 )
Version System Version
Chipset Vendor ATI
Chipset Model RS690/RS690M
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor ATI
Southbridge Model SB600
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 40 °C
BIOS
Brand Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version ASUS M2A-VM HDMI ACPI BIOS Revision 5001
Date 02/04/2010
Voltage
CPU CORE 1.328 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 3.392 V
+5V 5.053 V
+12V 12.160 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 4.865 V
CMOS BATTERY 3.248 V

Edit: As I research the headset issue further, it seems to be a common occurrence with the G930's having charging issues. Hopefully I can get it RMA'd tomorrow. Possibly it was all coincidence.

50433.png?1708759015
Banzai5150 on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Logitech had a bad run with some of their charging sockets being really flimsy on the wireless headsets.

As for the USB, it could be a short, it could be a voltage thing, it could just be those specific USB slots are bad, maybe they're USB 1 and not producing enough power, and maybe the specific devices require USB 2. Try different USB slots and see if it continues.

For instance, a lot of cases use USB 1 for the front adapters (I don't know why) and USB 2 for the on-motherboard connectors

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Logitech had a bad run with some of their charging sockets being really flimsy on the wireless headsets.

As for the USB, it could be a short, it could be a voltage thing, it could just be those specific USB slots are bad, maybe they're USB 1 and not producing enough power, and maybe the specific devices require USB 2. Try different USB slots and see if it continues.

For instance, a lot of cases use USB 1 for the front adapters (I don't know why) and USB 2 for the on-motherboard connectors

Thanks for the information. They are all USB 2.0, I checked that, and I had used all slots to test with. Logitech RMA'd the headphones right when I said I was having charging problems, so I assume it's a known issue.

50433.png?1708759015