As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TESO] Probably better than a Cliff Racer hunting sim.

CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
So it has sorta been confirmed that Bethesda's super secret MMO is set in The Elder Scrolls universe in the second Era.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ZeniMax-Bethesda-Elder-Scrolls-Online-MMO,news-14481.html

Bethesda and ZeniMax are hard at work on a new MMO, and it's taking you back to the world of Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind.

zenimaxbethesdammox1330.jpg

While details are still few and far between, Tom’s has learned that ZeniMax Online Studios and Bethesda will officially announce Elder Scrolls Online in May 2012.

An industry source that wishes to remain anonymous revealed the name of the new MMO to us, and confirmed that the game would take place a full millennium before The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Using the Elder Scrolls Wiki timeline as a guide, Elder Scrolls Online will likely take place during the “Second Era,” or several hundred years before any of the other Elder Scrolls games. This information was corroborated by two additional sources before publication.

Elder Scrolls Online will have three playable factions, according to the tipster. Not much is known about the factions, except each is represented by one of three animals: A lion, a dragon, and a bird of prey (either a phoenix or an eagle, we aren’t sure).

A May 2012 announcement would likely be followed by some sort of presence at E3, the annual Los Angeles video game convention. The game would also be shown at Quakecon 2012 in August, along with id Software’s Doom 4 and several other titles.

The fact that ZeniMax and Bethesda are working on an MMO is hardly a secret, as related job postings have been on ZeniMax’s website for quite some time now. What remained unknown until now was the universe in which this MMO would take place. While some were certainly hoping for a Fallout MMO of some sort - a game that ZeniMax and Bethesda control the publishing rights for – that is not to be the case.

When Tom’s reached out for confirmation, the response from ZeniMax and Bethesda was a “no comment.” We will update this article as more information comes in.

I'm guessing it's set during the beginning of the new Empire. It says there's three factions lion, dragon, and bird of prey...prehaps representing Dominion, Empire, and the Akiviri?

Previews:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/elder-scrolls-online-nails-the-online-stumbles-on-the-elder-scrolls-during-

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/we-didnt-see-elder-scrolls-onlines-first-person-mode-until-last-week-heres

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/19/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-paul-sage/

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/19/hands-on-with-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Cabezone on

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Well that is certainly interesting news. Though I wonder how they would set the game up. Will they keep the first person perspective or will they go the normal MMO route of 3rd person?

I personally prefer first person, but eh, it's not a deal breaker for me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Why choose? Keep the current system of either.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Yeah, Skyrim did a fine job of allowing either perspective to be viable, and that's my ideal for an Elder Scrolls MMO.

I can't really say I'm super-excited about the prospect of this MMO at the current time, because I so love the single-player Elder Scrolls games, but I'm entirely willing to have my mind changed. I think the action-oriented combat and questing of Skyrim easily fits into an online game. Hell, I'd just love to see an MMO where every quest isn't given away by an exclamation point.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I just hope they do something radically different with their MMO than the standard. I love the Elder Scrolls, but I'm not going in for yet another theme park MMO.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If the combat is at least on par with Skyrim I would be okay with it. Hopefully they bring some new stuff to the table as well

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    It runs on the Hero Engine.
    The same engine TOR uses.

That is pretty god damn amusing.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

I'm trying to picture this.

It's coming off as hilarious and very sad all at once.

But hey, if they can pull it off I'm all for them trying.

488W936.png
    Corehealer wrote: »

All I'll say is, picture the following:

The Hero Engine + Bethesda's QA team.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    All I'll say is, picture the following:

The Hero Engine + Bethesda's QA team.

I'm picturing a huge epic raid, 30 guys in Daederic and Ebony armor, we're almost to the giant king, raid resets tomorrow, just have to do one more pull of mammoths and we're sure we've figured out the fight this time... And the raid leader gets his head stuck in the ceiling and we have to call it for the night.

My biggest worry with this would be the character system. Skyrim's isn't quite as susceptible to the ridiculousness of abuse that Morrowind's was, but it's still not really something I'd call balanced for multiplayer, let alone massively multiplayer. And I'm not sure it could be without turning it into something that jut doesn't feel like Elder Scrolls.

Hevach on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I'm just hoping that it's not the next Everquest/WoW/SWTOR. It'd be nice if they had the stones to try to innovate with the gameplay.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

The hero engine actually isn't bad. There's a few other (much smaller, less well known) MMO's that are using it, that look fucking fantastic and don't have much in the way of bugs.

The problem is TOR's devs were pants on head retarded about their graphics at release. We're just now getting the high def textures in 1.2. First they claimed it was a post release feature, then they claimed they didn't want to "stress the limits of CPU's that couldn't handle it due to the engine", and now they're back to it being a post release feature after people called them out on how mind bogglingly stupid that claim was on their forums.

Which is good, because there's a few in development MMO's that use the Hero Engine that look leagues ahead of TOR at the moment.

Archonex on
    edited March 2012
    Archonex wrote: »

The hero engine actually isn't bad. There's a few other (much smaller, less well known) MMO's that are using it, that look fucking fantastic and don't have much in the way of bugs.
    Released
    Faxion Online (2011) - UTV Ignition Entertainment
    Star Wars: The Old Republic (2011) - BioWare

Unreleased
    Hero's Journey - company's game the engine was developed for
    Origins - Burning Dog
    Dominus - PitchBlack Games
    The Repopulation - Above and Beyond Technologies
    Visions of Zosimos - Forever Interactive

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I can't wait to explore the varied and exciting environments of my latest national geographic between loading screens!

Must cap bitterness jar

must not wax nostalgic about bugs and swamps

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just hope this is really nice and expansive. If they do capture that without severely curbing down on world size, and have roleplay servers, I'm there.

I'm going to be the local drunkard getting into fist foights with other locals.

Lucky Cynic on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'd like an M&B melee system.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I just hope this is really nice and expansive. If they do capture that without severely curbing down on world size, and have roleplay servers, I'm there.

You'll be the local cynic who drunkenly berates people in global chat for talking about upcoming MMOs rather then playing the one they have between naps.

And if bandits raid the town you'll help fight them off with broken bottles and by peeing on them.

488W936.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Oh my god Faxion was on the Hero Engine?

I have literally no faith for this game and I wish you all hte best.

liEt3nH.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    .... why the Hero Engine? Seriously, why not something else?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    .... why the Hero Engine? Seriously, why not something else?

Like what? The defunct Gamebryo that was used for Oblivion?

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    This game is going to suck balls.

(I love Bethesda but this will not end up well)

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

Have there been any really expansive games in a while? The last one that I played that actually felt like it had a large world was Asheron's Call. I loved just going and going and going until I was in the middle of nowhere. Hunting Golems for motes. Stumbling onto some weird dungeon...

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Engines are a lot more malleable than most people assume. I'm much more concerned about what kind of gameplay an online Elder Scrolls game would have than whatever tech they are using.

Basically, if this is a third person tab-target game with a hotbar I will shit blood.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    Oh my god Faxion was on the Hero Engine?

I have literally no faith for this game and I wish you all hte best.

Go look at Dominus during one of its testing sessions. Looks like a proper modern day game for the areas they've fully textured.

Chill out about the damned Hero Engine thing, people.

I'd be more worried if this is going to end up as World of Skyrim, really. Seems to be the trend.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Hopefully it's at least in first person.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    I would love a co-op Elder Scrolls game, but I can't quite see an MMO. But maybe it will do something new to surprise like GW2 with its Dynamic Event system.

Hero Engine does not inspire faith, but my only experience of it is with TOR.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)

Come to think of it I can't think of any first person MMOs. And Elder Scrolls gives you the somewhat useless in it's context choice between 1st and 3rd person perspectives, especially Skyrim. I don't know that it would work here.

It can't be cut and paste Skyrim at any rate.

488W936.png
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    My worst fear is that an Elder Scrolls MMO will mean no more single player installments. Bioware already killed any hope of a future KOTOR singleplayer installment, I don't want Bethesda to murder my favorite western RPG series.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • MoistMoist Registered User regular
    Fallen Earth managed to do a reasonably good first person viewpoint along with hit detection and mele that actually has to hit something.

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    Having first person as an option is always nice in MMOs. Asheron's Call lets you move between 1st and 3rd person, for some reason I think I remember first person in CoH but that could be a false memory and I think Guild Wars let you go first person as well.

My concerns for this game is more about whether they will go the class based system that has been used by nearly every MMO or a skill based system.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Riale wrote: »
    My worst fear is that an Elder Scrolls MMO will mean no more single player installments. Bioware already killed any hope of a future KOTOR singleplayer installment, I don't want Bethesda to murder my favorite western RPG series.

It's being made by a different game studio owned by Zenimax.

Cabezone wrote: »
    Riale wrote: »

It's being made by a different game studio owned by Zenimax.

Hopefully that means Bethesda can keep doing cool stuff with the mainline series of ES and ignore the success or failure of a separately developed ES MMO.

488W936.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I just don't see any way they can succeed making an elder scrolls MMO. The type of game people would want is not the type of game you can make commercially successful as an MMO, imo.

Of course, people did buy Skyrim in insane numbers, and put a ton of time into it, so I guess adding a social element yet somehow letting it be the same type of game could work.

It's probably not impossible, but it will be pretty hard, to be sure, simply due to the expectations and limitations of ES as a franchise.

488W936.png
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    I'm down as long as it looks nothing like WoW or SW:TOR. There's not enough Elder Scrolls paint to save it if that's the case.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I guess TERA has given me hope that a more actiony combat system without targetting can work for an MMO, so I'm hoping that Elder Scrolls will do that, and then spend more time making it look good in first-person (while also allowing for 3rd-person as well of course!). But I'm with Hewn... it needs to look like an ES game, and nothing like WoW and SW:TOR.

The other major concern I have was also mentioned above: Are they going to stick with the traditional ES system of having skills determine what your character can do? In my mind, they kinda have to for it to be a real ES game, and yet balancing such a system is impossible even for a single-player game. :P

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Come to think of it I can't think of any first person MMOs.
    Seems to mostly be delegated to small, PVP MMOs- both Darkfall and Mortal Online fit the bill.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Everquest, the 3d MMO that put the genre on its way to popularity was all 1st person. If I recall(god I can't believe it was 14 years ago), you could toggle 3rd person, but it was horrible and basically impossible to use. Honestly, while I'm now spoiled and used to the 3rd person view, playing an MMO in first person really did make it more atmospheric, since you weren't seeing behind you unless you looked.

Joshmvii on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    I used to be an adventurer like you, then my guild dissolved.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Fallen Earth was first person. Really had a blast with it too.

I do not mind if they gave us the option for third or first person views, I just hope they actually animate the first person view. Most MMOs do not and honestly why would they?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Everquest, the 3d MMO that put the genre on its way to popularity was all 1st person. If I recall(god I can't believe it was 14 years ago), you could toggle 3rd person, but it was horrible and basically impossible to use. Honestly, while I'm now spoiled and used to the 3rd person view, playing an MMO in first person really did make it more atmospheric, since you weren't seeing behind you unless you looked.

Also initially when you were regaining mana back as a caster your spellbook took up what little screen you had in 1st person view.

This discussion has been closed.