As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HAPPY STRAYA DAY! [AusPAX 2013]

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Emma Ayres?

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Certified blue collar labour would likely mean you would be earning more than higher education people as well

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It sure does. Love knowing that people who beat me up in primary school end up earning more than me in the end.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Going to beat you up fiscally squid.

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Yeah but they have to live out in the desert if they want to keep earning that much. If they want to go back home to live closer to family then they can get their job as a mechanic or whatever.

I can't comment on their prospects for promotion while working out there.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Yeah but they have to live out in the desert if they want to keep earning that much. If they want to go back home to live closer to family then they can get their job as a mechanic or whatever.

I can't comment on their prospects for promotion while working out there.

They also work in shit conditions, 12 hour shifts, and have more day to day risk to their life than you do.

The amount of people who find their job is a stress point in their relationship is significantly higher also.

But you know, dollar signs.

• Options
    My uncle drove a massive truck for a few years

The money was really good but it was so boring out there he literally drank it all away and came back with nothing. Now he drives trucks between cities and I expect he'll do that for the rest of his working life.

• Options

The money was really good but it was so boring out there he literally drank it all away and came back with nothing. Now he drives trucks between cities and I expect he'll do that for the rest of his working life.

So kinda like you and blunter in Canberra then?

• Options
    I have friends here and enjoy the short commute!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

That can be a real problem out on site. Bored senseless all day, and nothing to do after work but hang out in the wet mess sinking piss. Once you start spending hundreds of dollars a week at the bar, you may as well just go home and get a different job...

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular

That can be a real problem out on site. Bored senseless all day, and nothing to do after work but hang out in the wet mess sinking piss. Once you start spending hundreds of dollars a week at the bar, you may as well just go home and get a different job...

I see this everyday. It's really quite depressing!

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I know we like to rag on Canberra, but they've got a good thing going down there I think.

No traffic. Big enough to have a few nice restaurants and bars, but not big enough to contain throngs of annoying douchebags. A surprisingly large number of bands and acts come through Canberra. Only a couple hours drive from the Snowy Mountains, making winter ski trips feasible. Clean air and skies for the most part.

But it depends on the type of lifestyle you find appealing I guess!

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    I know we like to rag on Canberra, but they've got a good thing going down there I think.

No traffic. Big enough to have a few nice restaurants and bars, but not big enough to contain throngs of annoying douchebags. A surprisingly large number of bands and acts come through Canberra. Only a couple hours drive from the Snowy Mountains, making winter ski trips feasible. Clean air and skies for the most part.

If you want all that why don't you just move to Auckland instead

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Oden wrote: »

If you want all that why don't you just move to Auckland instead

We have nicer weather and better beaches within an hour and a half drive.

The biggest downside to living in Canberra is the people who don't live here and whinge all the time :P

• Options
    Hahaha "nicer weather than Auckland"

• Options
    The northern island has some pretty sweet beaches. And though technically its colder than a witches tit they actually get real beach weather.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    What are the technical requirements to be considered colder than a witch's tit?

• Options
    I am at this wedding reception right now

And everybody I know

Which is basically half of the guests

Are 45 minutes late!

• Options
    Kiss someone Dave.

• Options
    Kiss the strangers.

• Options
    It can be your pickup line.

*smooch*

Hi I'm Dave.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Raid the bar.

Turn this into your "Comedy event of the year!" - Rolling Stones Magazine co-starring Zac Galifianakis and Jason Segel.

• Options
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    But I have to drive home!

Have the person you kiss be your designated driver, obviously.

• Options
  • Options
    Even better!

Raid the bar. Put it all in your car.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    All of a sudden I can't stop listening to Somebody That I Used To Know.

Why yes I do have my finger on the pulse of the newest trends, why do you ask?

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    So, some swell news guys.

A certain someone may no longer be single. That someone may or may not be me.
    It's Bart

That's awesome. Tell tell tell.
    Let me live vicariously 8->

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Pffffft whatEVER Nick. Like you don't turn girl-heads when we are all hanging out at a pub somewhere

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I am actually pretty alright right now.
    This is fucking amazing.
    I managed to pace my drinking since 3pm today.
    Thanks for coming to meet my friends after we were pretty much done Tom and Teck.

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Kincaid wrote: »

And now I'm sad the mining companies don't set up any rec facilities?

• Options
    They do but, drinking.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    So, some swell news guys.

A certain someone may no longer be single. That someone may or may not be me.
    It's Bart

That's awesome. Tell tell tell.
    Let me live vicariously 8->

Man you don't need me to do that!

• Options
    But seriously. Details boy.

Have you done long distance before?

• Options

And now I'm sad the mining companies don't set up any rec facilities?

There's a gym and a very well set up rec room.

But there's also a wet mess. And (as of a few weeks ago) unlimited drinks.
    Whelp.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You have to get the workers drunk so they don't realise they're actually not being paid all that well for the amount of effort they put in...

"$80,000/year for just driving big trucks is pretty good, Chris" I hear some people thinking. Uh, how about that 84 hour working week, dude? "But you get 2 weeks on, 1 off..." Yep, it still all works out to being $27.20/hour. Council workers get paid more than that to hold stop-go lollipop signs at roadworks sites.

Having said that, I really really really want a mining job...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    A friend I was chatting with yesterday was shocked to hear that I do 12 hour days for 3 weeks straight (with one day off in the middle).
    Mind you, I drive a desk and have an interesting job. No complaints!

There is no way in hell I could survive working a shovel in the heat for 12 hours straight. Massive props to those guys and gals.

Edit: Numbers, could you work on getting onto a site as a mechanic?

Kincaid on
  • Options
    I didn't know you were in/near the mines Kinc

I hear the alcohol is more expensive as well, I guess to soak up all that excess cash

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    So just a quick question for anyone who's ordered from Play-asia, when putting in my address it doesn't ask for what state I'm in but still has a line for post code, city, and country. This should be fine, right?

This discussion has been closed.