As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tiny little computers with tiny little computer sweaters [smartphones/tablets]

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    So there was some kind of major shipping snafu at a Memphis FedEx hub, resulting in a bunch of missed deliveries. Managed to get a human being on the phone, very apologetic. Got it rerouted to be held at local FedEx hub for me, so yay new iPad tomorrow morning.

Still, would have shipped with @UPS if I'd had the chance.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Man, nobody ever got love for DHL...

• Options
    UPSUPS What can I do for you? Handling Your GoodsRegistered User regular
    I love you too, Smart Hero.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

That's because DHL is awful.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

Once, DHL was supposed to ship something from New Jersey to NYC, where I live.

A few days later, I check the tracking number, and I discover that the package went to Ohio, up to Canada, back down to NYC, and finally back to New Jersey.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Once, DHL was supposed to ship something from New Jersey to NYC, where I live.

A few days later, I check the tracking number, and I discover that the package went to Ohio, up to Canada, back down to NYC, and finally back to New Jersey.

That's amazing! Your package got international travel experience, for free! What a wonderful and generous company DHL is...

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    On Amtrak with my new iPad and relying on their crappy wifi makes me kind of wish I had the $$$ for LTE. I can't even get apps on this wifi.

poo
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    if the macbook pro redesign is true I'm probably going to buy one

also a thunderbolt display

goodbye gaming forever

zucchini on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I am probably going to get an iPad in the next month or so.

Are there good cases or docks/keyboards to use it for writing in Portrait mode? All I can see are landscape stuff.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the only meaningful protest is to not buy it

buying it and then complaining about how it was made is pretty dumb

and since almost everyones everyday life touches electronics from a sweatshop in factory asia, good luck with that!

also stop wearing clothes

There are plenty of things you can do. Source locally made goods, or buy second hand.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Just got my iPad

There's an imperfection on the bezel D:

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Otherwise neato!

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Ah, the sound of unnecessary Apple dick sucking will soothe me to sleep.

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    You know what's bad?

Letting an entire Africa's worth of impoverished Chinese go malnurished on the interior of the country because they don't have any jobs *at all* rather than just crappy ones

It's a sad fact of life. Threats to Foxconn with financial reprisal and pushes to get stuff like iPads made in America for an extra 20 bucks per unit takes those people whose lives currently just suck, and puts them into a whole new brand of hell.

It will get better over time, nobody can just snap their finger and give Chinese people cush wage jobs en masse. China knows that. They're working on it. Foxconn jobs are crappy because China is crappy. Not because Apple is crappy. And China knows it and they have the kind of government that can and does work on the problem. Just takes time when you have 800 million mouths to feed.

haha, wow

that is some serious corporate apologist shit right there

the exploitation of workers in developing countries is only a "sad fact of life" because people have successfully hidden the nastier costs of consuming massive amounts of cheap consumer electronics

when in reality it's wasting the world's resources, polluting the environment, and making the few businessmen who exploit these workers very, very rich

it's kind of disgusting to have full knowledge of the situation and just be like, "I'm cool with this, I'm going to support it, gimme my iPad"

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    how should we use the world's resources, lockout

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Yes please solve all the worlds problems.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    First of all.

You need to be in college.

College people have all of the answers.

• Options
    Lockout wrote: »
    You know what's bad?

Letting an entire Africa's worth of impoverished Chinese go malnurished on the interior of the country because they don't have any jobs *at all* rather than just crappy ones

It's a sad fact of life. Threats to Foxconn with financial reprisal and pushes to get stuff like iPads made in America for an extra 20 bucks per unit takes those people whose lives currently just suck, and puts them into a whole new brand of hell.

It will get better over time, nobody can just snap their finger and give Chinese people cush wage jobs en masse. China knows that. They're working on it. Foxconn jobs are crappy because China is crappy. Not because Apple is crappy. And China knows it and they have the kind of government that can and does work on the problem. Just takes time when you have 800 million mouths to feed.

haha, wow

that is some serious corporate apologist shit right there

the exploitation of workers in developing countries is only a "sad fact of life" because people have successfully hidden the nastier costs of consuming massive amounts of cheap consumer electronics

when in reality it's wasting the world's resources, polluting the environment, and making the few businessmen who exploit these workers very, very rich

it's kind of disgusting to have full knowledge of the situation and just be like, "I'm cool with this, I'm going to support it, gimme my iPad"
    -sent while on the move.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    how should we use the world's resources, lockout
    Lockout wrote: »

so there's this thing called compromise

clothes, a computer, and a cell phone are all pretty necessary these days. if you can go without a cell phone and/or a pc, good for you

but when people have a closet full of shoes or are buying every iteration of the latest Apple product, that's over-consumption

it supports exploitation like this and causes pollution when all of these consumer electronics inevitably break and are thrown away

I mean

This isn't anything insane here

• Options
    The thing is though, all companies are guilty of this.

Apple are (rightly) the target of this campaign because their marketing campaign is about people and how much apple cares about people.

This is not true when try are exploiting workers.

So actually you should be buying apple products because they are the only ones who are currently trying to make a difference.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I haven't used an apple product since the apple IIE in first grade.

Am I a bad person.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Blake T wrote: »

Apple are (rightly) the target of this campaign because their marketing campaign is about people and how much apple cares about people.

So actually you should be buying apple products because they are the only ones who are currently trying to make a difference.

His point wasn't never buy anything

It was "be conscious of what you're buying and maybe don't be in a big hurry to buy the latest and greatest just because"

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

His point wasn't never buy anything

It was "be conscious of what you're buying and maybe don't be in a big hurry to buy the latest and greatest just because"

This is un-American. Get out before the NSA black-bags you for being a commie.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

Also Foxconn is not just an Apple plant.

They make goddamn near everything there. From many different companies

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Ah, the sound of unnecessary Apple dick sucking will soothe me to sleep.

I need its nutrients to help me survive!

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    the only meaningful protest is to not buy it

buying it and then complaining about how it was made is pretty dumb

and since almost everyones everyday life touches electronics from a sweatshop in factory asia, good luck with that!

also stop wearing clothes
    You know what's bad?

Ron Paul 2012

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Played around with a ipad 3 today (or new ipad, as apple insists on calling it. not just ipad. no. the full name we're supposed to call it is "the new ipad." it's idiotic) and while it's a pretty sexy machine I admit to being disappointed with the screen quality. It's not a very distinct improvement over the 2. I always knew it wasn't going to blow me away like the 3GS to the 4 did, but having a 2 and a 3 sitting next to each other it was hard to even notice anything except with very high resolution pictures. There was little extra fidelity in the normal layout or with website text.

Overall I'd still pay the 100$ extra for it over the 2, but it didn't wow me or anything.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    it's when you zoom in I see the difference

(will continue to buy the newest iteration of products including outright purchasing phones I don't need just because I like technology and want to have it)

• Options
    Yeah the zooming is quite nice and all but really, if I were to ever get any sort of tablet it'd be so I didn't have to zoom web pages and pictures like with a smart phone.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I just feel an overwhelming desire to pull up pictures of celebrities and zoom right up their nose

• Options
    Well, pennies arcade is a safe place godmode

we don't judge your disgusting nose fetishes here

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    It's just so fascinating! It's a hole, completely unguarded, that leads into your skull!

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Played around with a ipad 3 today (or new ipad, as apple insists on calling it. not just ipad. no. the full name we're supposed to call it is "the new ipad." it's idiotic)
    what? it's just ipad dude
    it is new, though

so one might call it the new ipad

or you can say third generation

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Nah bro the official name is definitely The new iPad

• Options
    edited March 2012
    in my search for new wallpapers, i am now looking at screenshots from when i was 11, playing warcraft 3 online

this is
    something
    now world of warcraft

most of them were taken at random hitting the screenshot key too

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    That's gonna be tricky, since it's doing what it's supposed to (send the message to all the devices tied to your Apple ID)

I understand why folks share an Apple ID, but it does lead to some weird issues with sync.

I secretly wish Apple had been able to buy Dropbox, but at the same time, it would have killed off all of the non-Apple neat stuff that plugs into Dropbox. Apple still can't do sync well.

solution was to make a new iCloud acct and link that to relevant apps. This doesn't change the apple ID that is used to buy apps, just the one that is used for the iCloud.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You know what's bad?

Truth is, progress is being made. 500 million people got yanked over the poverty line in the span of 30 years. That is not bad when it's more than a third of your population (total population is 1.34 billion so you were only off by 50% there). Shit takes time, and it's probably moved faster than it should, but 500 million people is a lot of people who can afford to eat who couldn't before/during/just after the Great Leap Forward.

But whatever apparently China is "crappy." :\

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Don't worry about it Viv. I know plenty of people who think all of India is a shithole, an entire country of slums and deserts. Don't, you know, have a look on Google maps and check out the agriculture, forests, snowy mountain ranges and the huge bustling cities all over the country or anything...

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    That's gonna be tricky, since it's doing what it's supposed to (send the message to all the devices tied to your Apple ID)

I understand why folks share an Apple ID, but it does lead to some weird issues with sync.

I secretly wish Apple had been able to buy Dropbox, but at the same time, it would have killed off all of the non-Apple neat stuff that plugs into Dropbox. Apple still can't do sync well.

solution was to make a new iCloud acct and link that to relevant apps. This doesn't change the apple ID that is used to buy apps, just the one that is used for the iCloud.

Clever girl.

• Options
    Does anyone know of a basic drawing app that automatically uploads to Dropbox or photo bucket?

Bonus points if it copies the URL into the clipboard automatically.

This discussion has been closed.