As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Banned 360 Question

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
I'm going to be completely honest - and I don't think anything I'm going to post breaks PA forum rules (if it does, I apologize). I bought points for my 360 from a site that was offering them "wholesale" - which apparently meant stolen. I was stupid, I saw a deal, the site was a huge site, seemed legit and said it was perfectly safe. I fell for it, and tonight my console got the ban hammer all because I wanted to save money on games/songs.

As a 35 year old gamer, I don't play like I used to - frankly I only keep Gold at all for Netflix. My initial (angry) response was to think about trading in my games for a PS3 just so I could Netflix without Live subscription fees. My next response (once I simmered down a bit) was to post on the Xbox forums banning section begging for forgiveness. I said realized I screwed up, but I'm a model gamer (one of those plus sized models) and thought maybe I could appeal to them. I haven't heard back - but was wondering A.) Do I have a shot in hell at reinstatement and B.) if I don't are there any places online to recycle my old 360 that pay anything? I don't want to trade at Gamestop because even if they took it I definitely don't want some kid buying my console only to find it can't connect.

Anyone deal with a 360 ban when they were actually in the wrong and knew it/admitted it? It seems super extreme to ban without warning but I get it. Please don't flame my stupidity - I've already cursed myself out quite a bit.

Lindsay Lohan on

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Well if pleading with Xbox Live phone support doesn't work (worth a shot, I got my account recovered from the darkest depths of Microsoft's billing department after a lengthy period of unemployment), you could always try the news community route. Send a detailed explanation of your problem to gaming news outlets and maybe they'll post a story about it. I'm pretty sure Kotaku has written some similar stuff in the past.

After all, it's pretty shitty that your account was banned because you bought a code from a shady site.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Wait, your console got banned or your gamer tag got banned? Those are two entirely different situations, and I don't see a console ban happening for anything other than modding.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Console ban - looking at the xbox ban forum it seems like it's pretty widespread tonight.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Thats shitty. Sorry to hear it man. Had I known about that site, I would have bought points and probably been on a verge of a ban myself.

Is the site still around? If not, maybe by bringing attention to it, and letting then know may help.

I understand the logic behind the ban, but hate that they sometimes don't look at circumstance. They shouldn't ban a user who didn't realize they were doing wrong, they should be going after the site.

• Options
    I offered in my post to them to give them the name of the site and the details on my orders. I even offered to let them go into my console and delete my ill-gotten gain. Frankly, I'm not in a situation to buy a new 360 and as much as I'm mad at myself I'm annoyed enough with them that I don't want to throw more money at them either.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I believe getting points illegitimately is ground for termination of your Live account even if you were not the one who stole them. If this is the case, I wouldn't be admitting to buying them knowingly since then you probably have no chance of getting your account (or console) reinstated.

• Options
    Believe it or not, my account is still active, just my console is banned.

• Options
    How long ago did you buy the points?

• Options
    I don't know - I've done it a couple of times, probably at least a month ago at this point was the most recent time.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Honestly I'd delete all posts from the official forum and just call, the squeaky wheel gets the grease here and you're more likely to get a sympathetic ear on the phone than some moderator at their forum. Just keep calling and calling until you get what you want resolved.

• Options
    I've tried calling - they claim the phone support can't unban - only their online team can. They issue the bans and therefore are the only folks with access to fix it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i would have said the points were a gift, so they couldn't put the blame on you. but good luck, sucks that happened to you. i know i would be tempted by cheap points.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Console ban happens two ways, one way more rare than the other.

Rare way- Poilice notifies MS about a stolen XBOX with the hardware serial. This does not happen often.

Extremely insanely common way- Hacked 360 fails a Live check is banned forever. You will never get this unbanned. You see these on ebay and craigslist all the time, and in Gamestop's used pile.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    i've seen console bans happen to people who account share; when you let someone buy a game on your account but on their 360, then recover the tag to your xbox.
    it can happen for a variety of reasons.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    That's a new one on me, I used to flip rrod 360's until banned consoles became too much to deal with.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    So...if I'm screwed - any ideas on recycling it for $$? I'm assuming Microsoft isn't going to be forgiving.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Really sorry you are dealing with this. I've always been a little afraid of some Xbox policies but here is hoping that these widespread console bans cause some community uproar.

It's awful that these systems are just remotely bricked regardless of circumstance and then microsoft turns a blind eye.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You are boned, take it as a life lesson for the future. Sorry. :(

• Options
    You can still play games on it right? You just can't use Netflix or other Gold features?

Screw it and keep the thing. Or just outright trade it in to GameStop and claim ignorance, I'm sure they get thousands of these banned consoles and it's their problem to deal with reselling it, not yours.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    As a warning stay professional even if they are unsympathetic. They have a shame site for people who are banned who try to get their accounts back and get belligerent.

Really awkward that they did your console but not your account... Is that a response to the fifa thing? They think he is doing laundering?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    You can still play games on it right? You just can't use Netflix or other Gold features?

Screw it and keep the thing. Or just outright trade it in to GameStop and claim ignorance, I'm sure they get thousands of these banned consoles and it's their problem to deal with reselling it, not yours.

This is terrible all around. Something like this shouldn't happen. Then it becomes another persons problem and the slope gets slippery.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The more I read the more I think the FIFA thing is definitely the reason my ban took place. I'm going to stay very professional with them, I've seen the shame site. In the end, I know it's on me, but the way it was handled (no warning, no email, no phone support, told to post on a forum, possible ridicule if my post is shameful, etc) is incredibly unprofessional and has left me re-thinking my 360 entirely.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Well. The PS3 offers a wealth of older video games from past consoles. Also no monthly subscription so that's kind of two or three games a month.

On the downside. Not a lot of folks with ask you for your PSN.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Well. The PS3 offers a wealth of older video games from past consoles. Also no monthly subscription so that's kind of two or three games a month.

Even if you take a Gold account at full retail price (which you should virtually never have to pay), it ends up being $5 a month.

What kind of games are you buying.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Maddoc wrote: »

Even if you take a Gold account at full retail price (which you should virtually never have to pay), it ends up being $5 a month.

What kind of games are you buying.

FF7 was 4.99 I think? Maybe? It's been a while since I was on PSN.

I'm not going to get into Xbox vs PS3. That's like a debate about religion or politics. I was just pointing out that if he is fed up with such harsh policies he can receive the service he wanted for free on another system and use money that would have gone toward limited streaming + gameplay to permanently purchase some older video games.

Again not an Xbox vs PS3 statement. Just mentioning pros and cons of both consoles. I could be way off about the PSN price but the fact is if you purchase a gold account (i have no idea what that entails) on the 360 you will be at a monetary disadvantage from the PS3 perspective.

of course this is assuming that games cost the same amount on each platform.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Not even about console wars, man

It's just a weird exaggerated statement to make

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Doesn't Microsoft infrequently un-ban large numbers of people?

• Options
    It's slightly exaggerated on the $5/month but I really appreciate the feedback. We're still waiting to hear back from MS, but the wife and I have been talking and we're pretty close to deciding to just switch to the PS3 - dependant on getting some small $$ for the console and good $$ for our games and accessories. I'm not a heavy online gamer so paying the extra for Live has always felt painful when it was mostly to pay for Netflix. I'd hate to lose my Rock Band DLC and the Kinect, but we don't use either as much as we used to so even she was admitting it wouldn't be a major loss.

I think my son would love the various HD compilations of PS2 games as well. Free Netflix and a Blu Ray for the basement are definite pluses when I realize how I've shifted heavily over to handheld gaming lately anyway.

• Options
    Looking back over the past few months, I find I've been playing my PS3 a lot more than my 360, personally.

I dunno if it's just my perception or not, but it seems like the 360 hasn't had much going on in terms of exclusivity lately, except I guess for Kinect stuff which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

• Options
    i'll not start a console war fight, i'll just say the arcade and indie game stuff on XBLA is enough for me keep my 360 for a long time. add in the rewards program and i end up getting a good chunk of money back to buy more games with.

but really, if you have a kinect selling the system with it and the games on ebay should be easy. you probably have to mention that it is banned, and maybe offer it for a slightly reduced price. check ebay and see what other banned consoles are selling for.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Not even about console wars, man

It's just a weird exaggerated statement to make

I didn't realize it was exaggerated. My ignorance may have made me come off as insincere. Apologies for that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm actually going to call a non-local Gamestop and see what they do too. If they take them in to send off to MS to refurb I may do that - they are having some very good trade in deals right now (bonus $50 on consoles, bonus $10 per 3 game trades). It's still up in the air, but a fresh start wouldn't be bad and I know my son would dig Little Big Planet.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure they don't send them to refurb if they're console banned since they don't check that at trade-in. Most don't take in RRoD 360s anymore either. If you tell them it's banned, they'll probably refuse it.

• Options
    If all you need the Gold sub for is Netflix then why not just keep it? You said yourself you got a ton of Rock Band DLC and a Kinect shit and don't even play online, why do you all of a sudden have to get rid of the entire setup just because you can't use it for one thing that you admitted isn't even that big a deal? Get a 50 dollar LG blu-ray player that runs NetFlix and put THAT in the basement and keep all your 360 stuff.

Basically the 360 to me now is treated like a car repair, there's no question it's getting fixed/replaced since I have so much invested in the damn thing with XBLA and DLC and accessories. I'd say the same about the PS3 if I had that kind of time/money invested into it but I don't (so far).

And I wasn't trying to be a dick about the "trade it to GameStop thing" but I'm just trying to provide some silver lining here for you. I'm saying as big a retailer they are they HAVE to have a contingency plan in place for this kind of shit. You don't have to tell them anything, I traded in a console that was only playing games half the time, not my fault but it worked when I took it in and they tested it so whatever. I'm pretty sure they just ship ALL those traded-in consoles back to a depot somewhere to have them processed. I really doubt they'd flip the thing within hours of you trading it in to some 8 year old who saved up 3 months of paper route money to get a 360 and even so they have a return policy so it literally is not on you since you got boned in this whole ordeal anyways.

• Options
    Thanks for the input. I'm still thinking about next steps, haven't heard back from their online team. The thing is even if I don't play online this means no more rock band dlc, no more zen pinball dlc, and I can't even use the code I got with la noire. If I bought sf x tekken I'd have no way to buy new characters.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Don't offer to give them the info of the website that sold you the dodgy points as if negotiating for the unban. Just hand over that info (which MS probably already know) and hope you help the thieving bastards get nailed to the wall.

Remember that it's the dodgy points seller who has been the source of your screwing over here, not Microsoft.

To be honest you've probably already screwed over your chances of an unban by admitting you know that your discount points may have come from a dodgy source. Your best approach would have been a polite inquiry as to the reason for the ban and then feign complete surprise.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The polite inquiry/playing dumb thing obviously wasn't working for others so I decided on honesty. I only offered the site info because its a forum and I didn't think they'd want the site name posted publicly I made it clear in my message that was why I didn't include it.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Having to make your case on a public forum is a very odd system I have to say.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    No sense lying about the circumstances, but unfortunately, MS notoriously treats its customers with animosity. They stick to their policies hard.

If it doesn't work out for you, you could at least buy a basic (no HDD, no Kinect) console and reassign the DLC content via the online tool. The consoles go on sale all the time, because they know new users will have to buy all the accessories at some point. You can recoup some of the cost by selling the banned console. Keep an eye on cheapassgamer's deals forum.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Assuming that my estimates are correct and they were truthful on the phone that they would take the console I'd recoup about $450 if I decided to trade it in at Gamestop. Looks like basic PS3 is $250 plus another $50ish for a controller - that would leave a decent chunk left over for Little Big Planet, Infamous, Uncharted and maybe the Ico/SOTC HD pack or Wipeout.

I had major issues with MS a few months ago when they tried to renew my account on my old credit card which already left a bad taste in my mouth, this sort of cements it. The PS3 seems like a nice change of pace.