As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• ThatSwedishGuyThatSwedishGuy SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    What is a good class for silver against reapers? Because soldier doesn't seem to be worth jack shit.

Then you're playing the class wrong

Well, then I must have bad allies because nothing seems to die even though I'm the one getting the shit belted out of them. If I could get grenades more often I would probably be fine, but having lots of health means jack shit when you get one shot by banshees that absolutely *refuse* to die.

Edit: Basically, I need to make things die myself and not rely on others to do it for me.

Then Vanguard or Adept is a good class, they can really tear shit up. If you want to be useful in other ways, then Infiltrator is really good for reviving comrades, distracting enemies and completing objectives. Sentinels are awesome at dealing secondary damage, especially the Turian is useful as hell up against Reapers because he can wipe Barriers and Shields clean pretty damn quickly, leaving other more suited classes to deal the damage to the armor.

Vanguards are tricky as hell to play though, you basically have to be a ninja, strike quickly, get out quick because you won't stand up to much in a fight. Make sure to get the AoE upgrades and the ones that boost your barrier as that will be a lifesaver for you.

EDIT: Oh, and it's not impossible you were just playing with shitty players, you can't play Silver as you would play Bronze. If you can't get the team work to... uh, work, then you're screwed, there's not enough missiles to get you through Silver like that.

ThatSwedishGuy on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    holy crap, femshep can hit on
    joker in the bar, and he turns her down. bwhaha. fan service.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey all you fine PA folks, can I get some silver games with ya? I'd like to get a victory pack thingee.

Origin name is 3eeve, I'll be on. Toss me an invite!

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Same! Origin name is IcemanUSAF

Oh, and to all who want to try and play a round on Silver... please do some leveling up beforehand. At least level 10... preferably some equipment as well. Seriously, we had a Level 1 guy try and join us and we were like "Uh, no, we're not gonna carry you through this just so you can get a Commendation pack... go level up."

holy crap i missed conrad on my first run though and oh man, his dialouge. so good.

the thermal clips complaint, the fucking tasteful shrine with candles, oh god. he is the internet.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    I never got the shrine. He just
    appeared out of nowhere and then had the slowmotion jumpsave. Then he walked off with the girl

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    Neli wrote: »
    I never got the shrine. He just
    appeared out of nowhere and then had the slowmotion jumpsave. Then he walked off with the girl

yeah i got that on my first run, you have to
    get the quest to fix the medical stations, and then he shows up near the front of the docks and you can talk him then, and he vanishes after the quest is finished.

if you do it this way you can make use of all those asari writings you had from me1, although my failshep never had any of that and my other shep who did missed it all. grr.

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    bones09 wrote: »
    So I don't know if anyone else here has looked at Mass Effect 3: Final Hours (it's an iPad App), which details some of the scrapped content from the ending and other aspects. Having found discussion on it, I'm literally infuriated with how it turned out because common sense should have won in the end here (especially if there was genuine peer review).
    They had a really long and from what I can tell, even better conversation with Anderson right at the end of the game. Hudson sabotaged that, "For the moment".

Right at the end with the "Reaper Run" you would be shown a scene where your squadmate trips up and tries to get the other up - but are fried by Harbingers cannon. They would show up as corpses on the citadel. Now that would have been emotionally jarring and incredibly brutal. Of course, this is what I think happens anyway given that I still don't understand how Javik got out unscathed (or did he just fucking run away?) in the final cutscene of the game. You know, despite being right behind me when Harbinger was ruining shit.
    This is one of the parts that still bugs the crap out of me when I think about it. After the whole "meet me at the bar" conversation with Garrus, I knew he was coming on the final mission without a doubt. While trying to get onto the citadel, I figured Shep was just holding on for a bit longer to do a final task before meeting him at the bar. Then the ending... then wtf, he's on the Normandy and was going through a mass effect relay?
    What really offends me is the concept they just left Shepard there to die or actually ran away. The idea my companions were cowards and fled when it mattered is far worse to me than the idea they died.
    This really hits on anther thing about the ending really. I had Liara (my LI) and Garrus with me for that final run. And a big part of that is undermined by the fact that apparently despite being two steps behind me, they're both alive and fine on the Normandy.

Like, obviously I the player and Shepard don't want them to die, but yeah - the whole Shepard "just one more thing to do" kind of feel would have worked a lot better if it was obvious my ground team had actually died. Because that would suck, a lot, but for Shepard at least it would explain why he was about ready to die himself. I imagine it as one of them is already dead, and the other is just barely alive (having dragged the other up there - except EDI, in which case you should witness her panic as the Normandy is blown away and she just shuts down) and dies mid-sentence.

I mean, after losing Liara and Garrus, the only thing my Shepard would have left in the world to do is make sure he beats the Reapers.

...I made myself sad.

I love how different everyone's experience of the game was.
    Both of my squad-mates bit it from the reaper beam - both of them were laying there in pools of their blood (although I guess because one of them was EDI, it wasn't really "blood" or "hers") when you come to.

Wait, what? Under what conditions does that happen?

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    How's the line holding today?

Hopefully it's holding, I haven't gotten any game in since last night's 4 salarian engineer run. Decoys are surprisingly effective.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    So I don't know if anyone else here has looked at Mass Effect 3: Final Hours (it's an iPad App), which details some of the scrapped content from the ending and other aspects. Having found discussion on it, I'm literally infuriated with how it turned out because common sense should have won in the end here (especially if there was genuine peer review).
    They had a really long and from what I can tell, even better conversation with Anderson right at the end of the game. Hudson sabotaged that, "For the moment".

Right at the end with the "Reaper Run" you would be shown a scene where your squadmate trips up and tries to get the other up - but are fried by Harbingers cannon. They would show up as corpses on the citadel. Now that would have been emotionally jarring and incredibly brutal. Of course, this is what I think happens anyway given that I still don't understand how Javik got out unscathed (or did he just fucking run away?) in the final cutscene of the game. You know, despite being right behind me when Harbinger was ruining shit.
    This is one of the parts that still bugs the crap out of me when I think about it. After the whole "meet me at the bar" conversation with Garrus, I knew he was coming on the final mission without a doubt. While trying to get onto the citadel, I figured Shep was just holding on for a bit longer to do a final task before meeting him at the bar. Then the ending... then wtf, he's on the Normandy and was going through a mass effect relay?
    What really offends me is the concept they just left Shepard there to die or actually ran away. The idea my companions were cowards and fled when it mattered is far worse to me than the idea they died.
    This really hits on anther thing about the ending really. I had Liara (my LI) and Garrus with me for that final run. And a big part of that is undermined by the fact that apparently despite being two steps behind me, they're both alive and fine on the Normandy.

Like, obviously I the player and Shepard don't want them to die, but yeah - the whole Shepard "just one more thing to do" kind of feel would have worked a lot better if it was obvious my ground team had actually died. Because that would suck, a lot, but for Shepard at least it would explain why he was about ready to die himself. I imagine it as one of them is already dead, and the other is just barely alive (having dragged the other up there - except EDI, in which case you should witness her panic as the Normandy is blown away and she just shuts down) and dies mid-sentence.

I mean, after losing Liara and Garrus, the only thing my Shepard would have left in the world to do is make sure he beats the Reapers.

...I made myself sad.

Both of my squad-mates bit it from the reaper beam - both of them were laying there in pools of their blood (although I guess because one of them was EDI, it wasn't really "blood" or "hers") when you come to.

Yeah this is the first I hear of people finding the bodies. My teammates just vanished and then appeared on the Normandy endscene

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    jdarksun wrote: »
    How's the line holding today?

Pretty damn good, joined a random group and we kicked ass for three, four rounds, took down a lot of Brutes.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I am personally responsible for fifteen brutes.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Basil wrote: »

I've killed about 6.

Very very slowly due to the fact soldiers don't do jack shit, but 6 it is. Going to try a Drell Adept or maybe Salarian Infiltrator.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.

...I made myself sad.

low war assets.

• Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    My Origin name is GrimChampion and I want to spend this St. Paddy's Day getting drunk and killing brutes with all of you.

olgafjpg.jpg
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular

...I made myself sad.

low war assets.

Yep! Total of 4005, effective of 2002 because I haven't done any multi.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Alright, that's it. No more Silver games with randoms. Way too infuriating. :evil:

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

...I made myself sad.

low war assets.

Laying where specifically and when? This is a potentially interesting development.
    On the Citadel after the laser? Or on Earth after the laser? Before your sprint down to it? Details man, we need details!

Iceman.USAF on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I've killed so many Brutes I've lost count.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's probably already been mentioned, but there's a community event going on until tomorrow on Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. The goal is to kill 1 million Brutes all together, and if the community can accomplish that, we'll all automatically gain a Victory Pack on March 20th. Also, they're rewarding players for facing off against the Reapers in Silver difficulty or higher: if at least one member of a party is extracted at the end of a game, all the players on the squad will gain a Commendation Pack, which will contain one of the special, Single Player-only weapons included in the special edition (N7 Hurricane, N7 Valiant, etc).

For more information on the event, check out this link

[edit] And, yeah. Wow. Obviously, everyone already knows that, lol.

milk ducks on
    Drell Adept beats the shit out of my soldier. Even at level 4, I am far more effective and was keeping up until wave 6/7 on gold with a team of much higher players (then it all fell apart). I love how I can use pull + reave to blow people up - so immensely satisfying.

• Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited March 2012

...I made myself sad.

low war assets.

Laying where specifically and when? This is a potentially interesting development.
    On the Citadel after the laser? Or on Earth after the laser? Before your sprint down to it? Details man, we need details!
    On earth, after the laser. You wake up in slo-mo mode and to your right nearby is one party member facedown in a pool of blood, the other one is on your left further ahead, right at about the point where the husks trigger. It makes that whole sequence pretty moving, a real "all is lost/we came so close" kind of vibe. Especially the first time when, for all you know, all really might be lost.

I went into the final scenes feeling pretty pissed and nihilistic, and had no problems blowing up the world. Was pretty cathartic. Give praise unto me, galaxy, your terrible savior! I ain't nobody's idea of Jesus.

(Also because of my low readiness, I wasn't presented with the synthesis option.)

Tiger Burning on
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Been trying to decide on the ultimate anti-brute squad. Undecided on Inferno, Warp, or Reave. Also undecided on Sniper Rifles vs. Shotguns.

Tend to roll Adept regardless, at least until I hit 20 just in case I unlock the Asari.

Asari Adept makes a joke of reapers*and everything really, but reapers moreso*. 2 maxed warp bombs to kill a brute/ravenger, 4-6 maybe for a banshee on silver.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
    this video.. is the greatest thing ever. (ending spoilers)

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

...I made myself sad.

low war assets.

On earth, after the laser. You wake up in slo-mo mode and to your right nearby is one party member facedown in a pool of blood, the other one is on your left further ahead, right at about the point where the husks trigger. It makes that whole sequence pretty moving, a real "all is lost/we came so close" kind of vibe. Especially the first time when, for all you know, all really might be lost.

I went into the final scenes feeling pretty pissed and nihilistic, and had no problems blowing up the world. Was pretty cathartic. Give praise unto me, galaxy, your terrible savior! I ain't nobody's idea of Jesus.

(Also because of my low readiness, I wasn't presented with the synthesis option.)

This actually sounds pretty satisfying.

dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn wrote: »

...I made myself sad.

low war assets.

Was satisfying. 4 stars.
    Would blow up again.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Been trying to decide on the ultimate anti-brute squad. Undecided on Inferno, Warp, or Reave. Also undecided on Sniper Rifles vs. Shotguns.

Tend to roll Adept regardless, at least until I hit 20 just in case I unlock the Asari.

Asari Adept makes a joke of reapers*and everything really, but reapers moreso*. 2 maxed warp bombs to kill a brute/ravenger, 4-6 maybe for a banshee on silver.

Reave is actually really good at taking down the barriers of Phantoms so I'm not really sure what use Stasis has anymore.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    Reave is just absolutely amazing frankly. I don't know why I didn't bother using a non-soldier before.

Shockwave is made much more useful in this one since enemies don't all have defenses at higher difficulties. It's also very useful in multiplayer because it allows a Vanguard to set up their own Charge, if necessary, by whittling defenses and staggering weaker enemies. Hell, at level 6 it can even set up Nova or Charge-bombs.

I just can't figure out the best way to allot my skills to allow Shockwave to be effective. I want Charge and Nova maxed, I think - or at least Charge! But my passives are also very important. It is a tough balance. Damn this game.

dN0T6ur.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Reave is just absolutely amazing frankly. I don't know why I didn't bother using a non-soldier before.

It's actually really good combined with Cluster Grenades. Against a group of enemies the AoE effect of the Cluster Grenade after using Reave is pretty devastating.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

...I made myself sad.

low war assets.

Was satisfying. 4 stars.
    Would blow up again.

I'm sad that low war assets seems to give the best version of the game. Because I'm way too much of a completionist to ever have low war assets. :(

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    Just had a pretty good game on gold. 20 asari adept x2 (me as one), 20 human engi, 16ish soldier. Soldier quits at around wave 2 or 3. We tough it out all the way through level 10 where we complete the objective but finally die. But despite losing I think 3 people nearly beating gold is pretty good.

MOBA DOTA.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I really want to use my Drell Adept, but Reave sounds like shit for 20 minutes at a time. If they fix that, I'll have another character to play with.

Renzo wrote: »
    I really want to use my Drell Adept, but Reave sounds like shit for 20 minutes at a time. If they fix that, I'll have another character to play with.

As an apology to my friends when I use Drell Adept it is now considered standard and polite to beatbox over the mic every time I use Reave.
    THis isn't true, I can't beatbox

dN0T6ur.png
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I'm only starting Act 2 now, wish I could join in all the talk of the ending. It'll be a long time before I can contribute... but damn the game is good so far.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I wish we could see Shepard from the eyes of a Cerberus mook. I also wish that we could see the weapons and mods equipped on Shepard and co. when we're in the position to buy upgrades, so we have a better idea of what to get.

• Mr FuzmsMr Fuzms Auckland, New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've actually listened to that Reave sound effect so much now that I just tune it out, heh. I unlocked the Quarian Engineer last night, which seems pretty good. I like the idea of the little turret thing, though it seems pretty ineffective. The cryo ammo upgrade is good I guess? for 'Holding the Line!' etc. Not sure what to take for its final upgrade though - the rockets sound nice, but since it breaks after two shots I wonder if the flamethrower might not be better for chucking it into a group of bad guys. Any opinions on that one?

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Yeah, reave annoyed me so much that I don't think I'll use drell adept again unless they patch that hideous, constant sound effect out.

s7Imn5J.png
    Banshees one hit kill is so bullshit when combined with lag. Yes, you'll grab me from feet away and I'll die when you're nowhere near me.

This discussion has been closed.