As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Men: Resisting Avengers Oppression For Five Decades

Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Graphic Violence
So, a lot of stuff has gone down (besides the mutant population) since the Regenesis and Schism events occurred. What were those two events you ask? Well, it all started with a slight disagreement between the two most iconic mutants of the Marvel Universe, Cyclops and Wolverine. You see, they got into a bit of a spat over how Cyclops was increasingly militarizing the mutant youth, and Wolverine wasn't having any of it. So, Schism happened:
schism.jpg

"But Witch Hunter," you say, "isn't there a picture that better encapsulates this great struggle AND that doesn't look like you only spent five minutes in Microsoft Paint using a tired old meme?"

There is!!!
x-men-schism-20110523102920713_640w.jpg

After the dust settled, Wolverine and Cyclops decided that they couldn't kiss and make-up this time and got a divorce. Half the kids stayed with mama Scott:
Uncanny-X-Men-01-pg34.jpg

And half the kids left Utopia to live with papa Logan:
32.jpg

Cyclops stayed on the lavish island paradise of Utopia, while Wolverine went back to the team's roots to re-start the school in Westchester, New York. He named it the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning both as an homage to Charles Xavier's old school, and to piss off Cyclops by naming it after his dead wife, who was kinda into Logan.
Jean_Grey_School_for_Higher_Learning_001.jpg

The establishment of the two rival camps roughly describes the Regenesis event. But even though the school is awesome, and the people populating it are thoroughly rad, people might argue that most of the remaining mutant population's heavy-hitters stayed with Scott on Utopia. I scoff at these words, I scoff at them heartily, because even though Scott has Magneto, Namor, Colossus-who-is-also-a-Juggernaught-now, Emma Frost (okay, we get it), Hope, Storm, The New Mutants (enough already!), Dr. Nemesis and the X-Club (GET ON WITH IT!!!!); Wolverine has two things that Cyclops will never have.

One, he's running an awesome team on the down-low you may have heard of. Oh, you know, nothing big, just an awesome Rick Remender vehicle called the Uncanny X-Force!
uncanny_x_men_colour_by_declanshalvey-d395c3k.jpg

A team that kicks ass, but doesn't take names due to their clandestine nature. The current roster consists of Wolverine, Psylocke, Fantomex, Deadpool, Dethlock, and Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler. There was some unpleasantness concerning Archangel, but that is a story best experienced through GETTING THE TRADE (seriously, it's really good, you should pick it up).

And two, Wolverine has ANOTHER secret weapon on his side. A weapon that Cyclops doesn't even suspect. He's a man of little renown, of seemingly little worth, who is waiting in the wings for his chance to shine, and we all know it's going to happen, and that it'll be good and sweet when it does.
IMG_0050.jpg

But maybe I've said too much . . .

Finally, there are two books which are not specifically tied to either side of the Schism, but are neat and should be checked out in their own right. The first is about a little detective agency that plays loose and fast, but gets results!
xfactor.jpg

The second book I'm talking about is one that is so far removed from the normal X-Books that it takes place in another dimension. A dark place, a place where Charles Xavier died and his dream never even had a chance to live. It's also a topsy-turvey place where humans are on the run and mutants are the ones sticking it to them.
x-men_ageofapocalypse_1.jpg

Welcome to the Age of Apocalypse, and yes, you're probably gonna die.

Here the team is called the X-Terminated, made up of honest-to goodness Homo Sapiens and lead by the heroic version of the 616 universe's William Stryker. They've even picked up a few de-powered mutant allies along the way in the form of Jean Grey and Sabretooth. On the run from the evil AoA version of Wolverine, they fight for what's left of humanity.

This is the X-Thread for all things mutant. Discuss!

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
Witch_Hunter_84 on

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    X-Men Season one, who has read it and should I spend my digital money on it?

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I've heard good things, and it looks pretty because Jamie McKelvie and Matt Wilson are a fantastic team.

Working off the AvX theme, I meant to suggest, "X-Men: Resisting Avengers Oppression For Five Decades"

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Ya, that is a better title I think (didn't much care for the original, just something I slapped together at midnight). With your permission I will appropriate it and give you writer's credit for the OP.

Season One is actually pretty good, I might say great. I'd recommend buying it with American dollars and reading it on assorted kindles or computer screens whole-heartedly!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I would also submit that Wolverine has Broo, Beast and Quentin Quire, whom outweigh many of the mutants who decided to stay with Scott.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Don't forget! X-Force spawned another series from the Age of Apocalypse X-men called "Age of Apocalypse"!

The first book was pretty great and the art is spectacular.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm sad. that last picture is a broken link so I can't see Logan's Secret Weapon.

• Options
    Ya, that is a better title I think (didn't much care for the original, just something I slapped together at midnight). With your permission I will appropriate it and give you writer's credit for the OP.
    Yay!
    Season One is actually pretty good, I might say great. I'd recommend buying it with American dollars and reading it on assorted kindles or computer screens whole-heartedly!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    helloooooooo Wanda!

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    yeah no kidding

that is a great look for her

I hope they make that her costume going forward

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    OP lacks X-Factor

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm sad. that last picture is a broken link so I can't see Logan's Secret Weapon.

Hm, I'm seeing it just fine. Is anyone else having this problem?
    OP lacks X-Factor

It . . . does. I was rash and careless. I also through this whole thing together in ten minutes then went to bed, this gross oversight will be corrected promptly.

Edit: fixed!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options

I am. All I see is IMG_0050.jpg
    It's Toad, isn't it?

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I tip my hat to you, Witch Hunter, good OP.

I read Legacy #263 last night and liked the Utopia kids telling Rogue exactly why their experiment is no different than what they've been through before, because it does a good job acknowledging that there are flaws in the Wolverine side that need to be said. Wolverine was also being too much abloo abloo about Rogue, she did the right thing. Baldeon's art is getting better and better, put him on Uncanny instead of Land please, for the love of God.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular

I'm also not seeing it.

• Options
    Fixed it I believe.
    TexiKen wrote: »

I read Legacy #263 last night and liked the Utopia kids telling Rogue exactly why their experiment is no different than what they've been through before, because it does a good job acknowledging that there are flaws in the Wolverine side that need to be said. Wolverine was also being too much abloo abloo about Rogue, she did the right thing. Baldeon's art is getting better and better, put him on Uncanny instead of Land please, for the love of God.

Why thank you!

On the Legacy front, I liked it too and I did see Hope's point (and it is a valid one). But isn't there a difference between what Logan is trying to do in training kids to defend themselves, and what Hope is advocating in training all the remaining mutants to be soldiers?

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    now it's working for me though. hmm.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Fixed it I believe.
    TexiKen wrote: »

Why thank you!

On the Legacy front, I liked it too and I did see Hope's point (and it is a valid one). But isn't there a difference between what Logan is trying to do in training kids to defend themselves, and what Hope is advocating in training all the remaining mutants to be soldiers?

This could be debatable, but Cyclops take on the kids is basically what the New Mutants were in the beginning, primarily learning their powers first, learning to fight, and education second. Cyclops is not making them be soldiers 24/7, just realizing they need to learn to fight because that's what you do these days. We saw this in Uncanny #1, the kids have their normal classes, only they get extra things like SF street patrol, which seems perfectly fine when accompanied by adults.

• Options
    Cyclops is basically training child soldiers and has admitted as much

He'll train then up and then send them in to fight

Wolverine is trying to teach them how to defend themselves

but figures that they are too young to fight and won't send them in

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I just got around to reading Uncanny 8 today.

I was not a fan. Not of that entire storyline. I hope the Avengers teamup will be fun for a couple issues before AvX spins everything out of control.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Cyclops is basically training child soldiers and has admitted as much

He'll train then up and then send them in to fight

Invisiblemutantchildren.com

A documentary by Bobby Drake

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    X-Treme X-Men written by Greg Pak, written by Steven Segovia. Covers by Julian Totino Tedesco. #1 in July.
    Dazzler is at the center of this book and it spins out of Greg's Astonishing X-Men run.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dazzler?

really?

Okay, well

I'll check it out

• Options
    edited March 2012
    detail.jpg
    Kicking off this July, Greg Pak and Stephen Segovia recruit Dazzler and a team of mutants from various worlds for reality-bending missions in X-TREME X-MEN. Stay tuned to Marvel.com for more details coming soon!

so

it is Exiles?

I am okay with this.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mor liek X-iles mrite

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Is Adam X going to be in it?

Because he should be.

• Options
    Dazzler is the only 616 character in the book according to Pak.

so, maybe

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Hrm, intriguing....

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    and really 616 Emma Frost should just use that costume it is way better

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    616 Emma would not be caught dead in a tube top

• Options
    Yes because this
    frank-quitely-newxmen116-2001.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1303031307785
    is so much classier

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    where do her nipples even go in that costume

• Options
    Jesus Christ!
    Why does the zipper go over her vagina? That's just asking for a mishap of "There's Something About Mary" proportions.

• Options
    Plus I mean
    550w_comics_uncanny_x_men_emma_frost.jpg
    that is covering less than a tube top would

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Well look, it's not like Cyclops is with her for her wonderful personality.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    where do her nipples even go in that costume

they're covered by the cups.

also yes blank that covers less but it's technically lingerie so it's better!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I fail to see how wearing lingerie in public is classier/better than a tube top

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    in the idea of emma as british upper-class woman, it makes sense

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    She isn't British at all! She was born in Boston!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
  • Options
    He’s got a Spider-Man lunchbox, a purple belt in taekwondo, and he is awesome.
    :D