As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• Mistress_IshboMistress_Ishbo Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ishtra wrote: »
    I have been on a diet attempting to lose weight. I lost 32 pounds so far and I have 28 more to go. D
    Pretty sweet job! and you still have a few weeks to boot :D Keep it up. Can't wait to see the costume!
    riathewolf wrote: »
    Oh my goodness congrats! As someone else who is attempting to lose weight I salute you! It's certainly not easy. Can't wait to see your costume.

Thanks guys! I just saw this! I just hit the 35 pound mark today! I hope to hit 40 before pax time. It is very very difficult. My diet is super strict and I cannot cheat at all or my body rebels and the diet wont work. :D

Mistress_Ishbo on
  • girlgamer88girlgamer88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    deadmeat wrote: »
    Last year after cosplaying all weekend long i returned home to watch G4's coverage only to see ALL the other cosplayers gathered for the taping. Somehow i apparently missed the memo. Needless to say, i was pants-shittingly-angry. I saw on the schedule they are doing another live taping Pax Sunday and didn't want anyone else missing out like i did. Here is a link to last years clip.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51787/pax-east-2011-cosplay-video/

UGH! Sunday was the one day I was planning to go in street clothes. Looks like I'll be changing. I just don't want to go to the girls meetup in costume. Do you recall what time they said they were doing it on Sunday?

nevermind that's mostly for bioshock people by the looks of it. hopefully they'll spot/ appreciate the costumes from other games.

girlgamer88 on
    8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Yay, my ears came Super fast in the mail yesterday. Parts coming together :D

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    I just finished riveting the Medigun together. Tomorrow I'm going to assemble and install the lighting rig. I don't think it'll actually heal people though.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • nduggzznduggzz Registered User regular
    i wish i had time to make cosplay i would love to go as Connor from the new assassins creed and i know i can do it but too little time need a time machine any help LOL

• Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    Idris is ready, I repeat, Idris is ready!!!! after a total of 4 months working on it off and on with my cousin!!!!

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    Update: The Medic's coat and Medigun are done. The coat needs some minor trim but is otherwise great, and the Medigun just needs some aesthetic tweaks - both the circuitry and structural integrity are good. Next up: the backpack assembly, and then PAX.

I'm just disappointed my friend changed his mind and won't be going as dancing Cyrax. That would have been great.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • MajorPixelMajorPixel Registered User new member
    Speaking of cosplay events at PAX East...did you guys hear about this?
    http://irrationalgames.com/insider/pax-east-2012-cosplay-meet-up/

• Mistress_IshboMistress_Ishbo Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    MajorPixel wrote: »
    Speaking of cosplay events at PAX East...did you guys hear about this?
    http://irrationalgames.com/insider/pax-east-2012-cosplay-meet-up/

Yeah the post after mine on this page is about this. But it is for Bioshock only. And only if they think you are awesome. My cosplay is street fighter theme so I will miss this.

• ValdataValdata Registered User regular
    My friend and I will be doing Steampunk outfits on Friday. For Saturday, we're taking inspiration from Episode 32 of Checkpoint (Piranha Plant and Portal Personality Sphere dresses).

edited March 2012
    Here it is everyone!
    (drum roll, please)
    Picture+487.jpg

girlgamer88 on
    8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    So how many people are going to be dressed as saints? I would be down granted there was enough interest.

Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Well, I didn't have enough money to the complete the costume I wanted to do.

I'm going to do my best Cole Phelps impression from LA Noire. I just bought a fedora to go with my dark three-piece suit. I won't look anything like Cole Phelps (he never wore solid black/charcoal), but I hope the fedora makes up for it.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote: »

I'm going to do my best Cole Phelps impression from LA Noire. I just bought a fedora to go with my dark three-piece suit. I won't look anything like Cole Phelps (he never wore solid black/charcoal), but I hope the fedora makes up for it.

Just pick up random things and rotate them while muttering "this has nothing to with the case."

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • crimsong19crimsong19 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Skrepo wrote: »
    I'll be going as the 11th Doctor again this year. I'm also working on a cardboard Tardis that might be done in time.

Nice touch! I did that last year as 10 and used the TARDIS as a Cookie Distributing Apparatus. ^_^

PAX East status: Hotel [X] Three-day passes [] Two one-day passes [X] Cookie recipes [X] Transportation [X]
  • crimsong19crimsong19 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Wow, I've been inactive on here ... anyways, I'm planning on sticking with the old reliable 10th Doctor outfit, probably with a new cardboard TARDIS or a small light wooden TARDIS ... for carrying cookies, mind you. Or I might bump it up from 10th to 11th if I can find the necessary costume parts ... but I don't have 11's Screwdriver ... so I could be Raggedy Doctor?

PAX East status: Hotel [X] Three-day passes [] Two one-day passes [X] Cookie recipes [X] Transportation [X]
  • phillerphiller Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    MrDapper wrote: »

Just pick up random things and rotate them while muttering "this has nothing to with the case."

Also, awkwardly tap your notebook. And accuse everyone of lying to you about the case.

I'm now fairly close to the Vox Populi costume. Just need a belt with pouches, fingerless gloves, and maybe suspenders. Rewatching the demo/gameplay video is making me consider just having a painted foam/cardboard tube as a standard henchman prop to top off the whole outfit.

philler on
    All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
    Well, the good thing is that it's regular clothing I have as part of wardrobe, so all I had to do was shell out a bit of money for a dark fedora.
    I'm now fairly close to the Vox Populi costume. Just need a belt with pouches, fingerless gloves, and maybe suspenders. Rewatching the demo/gameplay video is making me consider just having a painted foam/cardboard tube as a standard henchman prop to top off the whole outfit.

That's cool. Did you hear about the cosplay party Irrational is planning to host?

• phillerphiller Registered User regular
    Well, the good thing is that it's regular clothing I have as part of wardrobe, so all I had to do was shell out a bit of money for a dark fedora.

That's cool. Did you hear about the cosplay party Irrational is planning to host?

Yeah, in fact it was the main draw for me to do the Infinite costume. Never cosplayed before, but was always interested in doing one. Figured now would be a good opportunity.

All Kinds of Philler: A pop culture podcast remarkably free of filler!
    Twitter: @phillerworks || @AKOPpodcast || Steam: mr_philler
    PAX East '14 Locations: || Classic Console Freeplay || Tabletop Area || Long Wharf Pre-PAX Game Night (Come say hi or trade buttons!)
  • riathewolfriathewolf Registered User regular
    Here it is everyone!
    (drum roll, please)
    Picture+487.jpg

It looks adorable! I'm going to hunt you down for a picture. Just warning you.

I was finally able to finish some costumes and have a final list. I will be bringing Daeneys with me as well as Ellie Langford (Dead Space 2). I can't wait!

• LunaDivinerLunaDiviner Registered User new member
    I'll be going as Axel from KH again this year. Only on Saturday though. D:

• thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    I got my costume done, except that the socks aren't here yet, and I'll be starting my husbands. I'll show you all once I get a good photo but we're going as pokemon. I have a Chansey dress and my husband is getting a Luxray hoodie.

linkbanner.jpg
  • deadmeatdeadmeat Registered User regular
    So, in addition to digging my claptrap costume out of the closet from last year, i whipped together some bonus claptrap suits to pilot with some friends.
    claps2.jpg

However i planned on making a couple passes through the convention center over the weekend and really only have 1 shift filled. I wanted to make a pass through mid to late afternoon friday, once early sat and again late afternoon and finally wear them to the gearbox panel on sunday. Each "shift" should take about an hour and i need a body to pilot a suit or two for each shift. Thought maybe some non-claustrophobic Borderlands fans on the forum might be interested.

Also, would anyone with some camera skills be interested in documenting some of this madness? Last year the folks are Gearbox were pretty excited and took some pix of me at their booth and tweeted it/added it to their facebook/gave me some swag. With Borderlands 2 being heavily promoted this year and the claptraps being such a spectacle i think it should be pretty awesome.

Also, i was wondering if anyone would be interested in "herding" a group of claptraps through pax, communicating from inside the box isnt easy and wihth 5 of us its going to be pretty key having someone using hand gestures to let us know when someone wants to take a photo with us/wants to get past us in a hallway.

I realize there are a number of tall orders in this post but i thought i'd put it out there. This seems like a place of likeminded peeps. If anyone has any interest in anything i mentioned please get back to me.

thedandmom wrote: »
    I got my costume done, except that the socks aren't here yet, and I'll be starting my husbands. I'll show you all once I get a good photo but we're going as pokemon. I have a Chansey dress and my husband is getting a Luxray hoodie.

What are you dressing up as?

I have a Chansey dress, because I'm pregnant and not much else would have worked that I'm actually a fan of.

linkbanner.jpg
  • NewbieniceNewbienice Registered User new member
    Putting finishing touches on my Whiterun Guard costume. Just need to finish the fiberglass helmet, paint it, and get some boots.

thedandmom wrote: »

I have a Chansey dress, because I'm pregnant and not much else would have worked that I'm actually a fan of.

Oh, I didn't even read your post. I recall Pikachu being very popular in past years.

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    SUPER NERVOUS. I have NEVER cosplayed before... started ordering pieces and creating my Riku(KH2) costume about a month ago. I'm just not very good at sewing..... nervous.

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
    MASeffect wrote: »
    SUPER NERVOUS. I have NEVER cosplayed before... started ordering pieces and creating my Riku(KH2) costume about a month ago. I'm just not very good at sewing..... nervous.
    Don't worry. This is my first time cosplaying too and I'm not the best at sewing either. I'm sure it will be fine and it's not like anyone will make fun of you. We're all friends at PAX ^_^.

linkbanner.jpg
  • Thin Red PasteThin Red Paste Way out in the sticks.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Finally got around to finishing my Commissar outfit today:
    commissar1.jpg
    yes, that's a nerf gun. the guts are removed though, so it can't fire. My understanding is that's ok?

Thin Red Paste on
  • Dr ValkyrieDr Valkyrie Registered User regular
    I've got my humanoid GLaDOS done and I'm all ready. I'll only be doing it Saturday most likely.

Is there going to be a Valve photo shoot like there was last year?

• stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Here it is everyone!
    (drum roll, please)
    Picture+487.jpg
    That looks great! I'm considering bringing my Lucca costume, but I'd have to remake a couple parts of it first.

stardust462 on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    question: i know they are strict on accessories costumes at PAX. i was considering going as alan wake from american nightmare. his iconic thing is the flashlight... would i be able to carry it? i could even have no batteries in it. it's just for show.

any thoughts?

question: i know they are strict on accessories costumes at PAX. i was considering going as alan wake from american nightmare. his iconic thing is the flashlight... would i be able to carry it? i could even have no batteries in it. it's just for show.

any thoughts?

I think the props rule only applies to blades, blunted weapons, or firearms. Flashlight should be fine.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

any thoughts?

A flashlight is not against the weapons policy unless you start brandishing it at someone.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    coolcoolcool

riathewolf wrote: »
    It looks adorable! I'm going to hunt you down for a picture. Just warning you.
    That looks great! I'm considering bringing my Lucca costume, but I'd have to remake a couple parts of it first.

Thank you! Totally down for photo ops. :)

8BitBek

Future game art lady!
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    So, in addition to digging my claptrap costume out of the closet from last year, i whipped together some bonus claptrap suits to pilot with some friends.
    claps2.jpg

However i planned on making a couple passes through the convention center over the weekend and really only have 1 shift filled. I wanted to make a pass through mid to late afternoon friday, once early sat and again late afternoon and finally wear them to the gearbox panel on sunday. Each "shift" should take about an hour and i need a body to pilot a suit or two for each shift. Thought maybe some non-claustrophobic Borderlands fans on the forum might be interested.

Also, would anyone with some camera skills be interested in documenting some of this madness? Last year the folks are Gearbox were pretty excited and took some pix of me at their booth and tweeted it/added it to their facebook/gave me some swag. With Borderlands 2 being heavily promoted this year and the claptraps being such a spectacle i think it should be pretty awesome.

Also, i was wondering if anyone would be interested in "herding" a group of claptraps through pax, communicating from inside the box isnt easy and wihth 5 of us its going to be pretty key having someone using hand gestures to let us know when someone wants to take a photo with us/wants to get past us in a hallway.

I realize there are a number of tall orders in this post but i thought i'd put it out there. This seems like a place of likeminded peeps. If anyone has any interest in anything i mentioned please get back to me.

Allow me to discuss it with my fiance, and I'll get back to you, if I do though, dibs on Tuxtrap. It would match well with her costume.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    claps2.jpg

Allow me to discuss it with my fiance, and I'll get back to you, if I do though, dibs on Tuxtrap. It would match well with her costume.

fun bonus: hanging out with other nerdy couples! (@deadmeat is my darling bf, and though he denies it, i imagine i'll wind up doing most of the claptrap herding)

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    claps2.jpg

fun bonus: hanging out with other nerdy couples! (@deadmeat is my darling bf, and though he denies it, i imagine i'll wind up doing most of the claptrap herding)

Shes doing her own cosplay one day anyway, so I see no reason I shouldnt be able to rock a claptrap for a bit.