As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I wish this game had a list of available games and it showed host ping.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Clearly the best move is griefing your teammates by going into cover when they think you're going to revive them. Had you fooled, sucker! Now watch as I do it again!

Oooh that is one of my favorites too! Im really quite amazing at that.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Being able to mute and kick people in-game would be nice too.

I had one game where a dude just sat in the landing zone the entire time.

It was only bronze, so we managed to pull off the extraction (relatively low-levelled folks), but it was infuriating that we couldn't do anything about that turd.

And while I'm bitching, working text chat would be phenomenal. How the hell did that not make it into the game?

• tolragtolrag Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Man...what is with all these low level people joining Silver today.

I wouldnt mind it so much if they didn't just constantly die every round.

The "any challenge" option should not be the default. I just kick any low-level guys now (and send a message explaining why).

Although low-level characters with high N7 ratings can often be surprisingly effective.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular

This. Kids do say the darndest and most racial things ever.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    I've had voice turned off the entire time. Not having text chat on a PC multiplayer game is really lame. I usually don't want to hear people I know yapping in my ear, nevermind random kids on the internet.

MOBA DOTA.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Damn, able to just get a Silver win w/ a pub group before I have to get ready for work.

Was intense as hell. I got hit with the MP wipe bug a couple of days ago, but luckily I'm still lvl 19 on my engineer (sadly my Salarian engie is no more, but made due with the human). So I was setting up tech bursts all over the place with full chain overload and my drone picking up assists out the ass as well.

I just couldn't do shit for kills cause I was packing a piddly little Predator (misses Carnifex IV so bad), but 2 of the team survived the final zerg wave at the LZ. 3 Banshees + 4 brutes at the same time and everyone doing the combat roll tango to avoid the insta-kills, was pretty awesome.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    And while I'm bitching, working text chat would be phenomenal. How the hell did that not make it into the game?
    And is it just me, or are you totally unable to change the powers bar? I cannot, literally can not drag around the little icons.

Nope, no changing the power bar for you.

Entitled pc gamers, jeeze.

Am I doing this right.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Here's a new source of bile for you: how terrible Origin is for multiplayer matchmaking.

I can't join a game in progress? What the hell?
    Sure you can, I did it tons of times.
    I dropped out of a game with MazPA, SR71C Blackbird, and Canadian Zealot. I go to reconnect - game is full.

Cannot join a game in progress.

If the game was full it means someone else got automatched into it once you left.
    Just yesterday Zoidberg quit the game and rejoined it 2 rounds later, no problem.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg

It was only bronze, so we managed to pull off the extraction (relatively low-levelled folks), but it was infuriating that we couldn't do anything about that turd.

All of these things have nothing to do with Origin btw.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    And is it just me, or are you totally unable to change the powers bar? I cannot, literally can not drag around the little icons.

Am I doing this right.

How dare entitled PC gamers ask for basic functions like this. How dare they.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »

Am I doing this right.

Especially if those options are already PRESENT IN THE SINGLE PLAYER and work without a hitch.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg

Am I doing this right.

Especially if those options are already PRESENT IN THE SINGLE PLAYER and work without a hitch.

You just don't understand the artistic intent of the multiplayer.

Minding, neither do people who wander over to the other side of the fucking map and predictably die. Then spend the rest of the round insulting their teammates for abandoning them.

Where is my device to slap people over the internet already?

I bet they just didn't have enough RAM.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I bet they just didn't have enough RAM.

That was my problem. But I downloaded this thing they advertise on the radio and now my computer is SO FAST XD

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    Clearly the best move is griefing your teammates by going into cover when they think you're going to revive them. Had you fooled, sucker! Now watch as I do it again!

Official Mass Effect gaming keyboard:

EA-Announces-Mass-Effect-3-gaming-keyboard-.jpeg

olgafjpg.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Spacebar, it only does everything.

I still find it hilarious that players can be banned for rebinding the spacebars functions on account of them all being in the same file that controls access to potentially paid for content. A plus for effort.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Here's a new source of bile for you: how terrible Origin is for multiplayer matchmaking.

I can't join a game in progress? What the hell?

Edit: Apologies to MazPA, SR71C Blackbird, and Canadian Zealot. I was sure that if I dropped back to character select, it would let me re-join as something that wasn't complete ass. Apparently, I was wrong!

Yeah, NEOFyte joined our game almost immediately after you left ;-)
    Thanks to all of you, had some great matches!
    Canadian Zealot, those Banshees sure liked to hug your Krogan :lol:

Anyway, now that I've finally completed that damn challenge, it's time to move on to some other characters. Adept was fun (and downright overpowered sometimes), but I've unlocked a few other aliens and I wanna try them out.
    Think I'm gonna go with Salarian Infiltrator next..what weapon should I roll with? Sniper Rifles?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    tolrag wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Man...what is with all these low level people joining Silver today.

I wouldnt mind it so much if they didn't just constantly die every round.

The "any challenge" option should not be the default. I just kick any low-level guys now (and send a message explaining why).

Although low-level characters with high N7 ratings can often be surprisingly effective.

I had a level 9 adept when I first did the extraction on silver. You'd be surprised how much the competency of the person playing can mean almost as much as their level :P

• lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or are the bindings for the specials different for every character?

I seem to spend ages fumbling in the shift menu for the rocket launcher or op survival pack... of course by the time I find what I'm looking for it's far too late.

World's best janitor
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    You know...(ending, again, sorry)
    If there's a "Upload Shepherd's mind into the Reaper consciousness to reprogram it using him as a template" ending, which I guess seems to be Control, then there should really have been a line from Harbinger or someone to the survivors like: "We are no longer your Reapers. We are your...Shepherds."

• Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    Mainstream media coverage of the controversy over Mass Effect 3's
    endings
    is spreading. Here's a link to the California Literary Review's article on the subject: http://calitreview.com/24673

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I have to say that Soldiers feel entirely worthless in multiplayer (I don't have a good AR for Turian yet unfortunately). They feel dreadfully underpowered compared to the other classes, who all kill things far better and faster than the soldier does. Ultimately, being able to actually kill/disable those damn brutes/banshees crawling all over you matters far more than anything else. Maybe the Krogan is better?

I tried for several hours to win one silver match with my soldier. I've now done it with my Drell Adept (level 9, Level 12), with my Human Engineer (level 8, level 12) and even with my Level 9 Salarian Infiltrator. I mean really, I can get through this shit with characters half the level of my soldier at level 20? Is it the soldier or do I just do something terribly wrong?

Well - what guns are you carrying? They're a gun class. I guess they need super good guns.
    In my short experience with Soldier in multi, yeah, I agree that the Soldier isn't as effective when it's not packing good guns.

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You know...(ending, again, sorry)
    If there's a "Upload Shepherd's mind into the Reaper consciousness to reprogram it using him as a template" ending, which I guess seems to be Control, then there should really have been a line from Harbinger or someone to the survivors like: "We are no longer your Reapers. We are your...Shepherds."

:^:

All of these things have nothing to do with Origin btw.
    You're right. Origins only sins are not showing if the game your friend is playing in is full or not, not having groups, and not incorporating friends and groups seamlessly into ME3.

Bioware would have to add that, it has nothing to do with Origin.
    Also, don't forget that Origin is mainly just a store/DRM and is also still in beta.
    I'm sure they'll add more stuff over time.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Spacebar, it only does everything.

I still find it hilarious that players can be banned for rebinding the spacebars functions on account of them all being in the same file that controls access to potentially paid for content. A plus for effort.
    Wait, has that actually happened? Because I have Use on W and Sprint and Jump on V.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Does anything happen with the Prothean Orb in ME3?

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I was nursing the fear for quite a while that I wasn't good enough to play Vanguard on Silver, or even that Vanguards weren't good neough to be competitive at higher difficulties.

Managed to win 2/3 public matches on Silver, though, and I feel intensely good about it because I contributed both times. Pierce on Nova is a godsend if you use it when your Charge cooldown is already finished.

Also, the first group I played with today taught me something important - on Noveria everybody tends to stay in that one area at the top of the ladder and the two staircases, right, straight across from the landing pad? When the extraction round came up, I high-tailed it to the landing zone - but the other three guys stayed right where they were. It took me a second to realize they were treating it like any other round, which meant killing enemies almost immediately after they spawned. Nothing's going to spawn at the extraction zone, after all.

So we stayed there for a minute and a half, only falling back for the last thirty seconds, and the whole round was a lot easier for it.

Hurray for immensely competent random public teams!

dN0T6ur.png
    lu tze wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are the bindings for the specials different for every character?

I seem to spend ages fumbling in the shift menu for the rocket launcher or op survival pack... of course by the time I find what I'm looking for it's far too late.

Naw, the consumables are on set binds that don't change. Rocket is 5, Heal is 6, Ressurect is 7, Resupply is 8

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, immediately hunkering down at the extraction zone is a bad idea. You will get overwhelmed on higher difficulties, especially if facing Reapers.
    On the other hand - I think it might be a feasible strategy for one mobile and fairly resilient class (Vanguard? Krogan?) to fool around on the other side of the map, drawing enemies away from the extraction zone. Getting a full extraction that way might be hard though.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, you definitely want to get far from the landing zone before the last wave is announced, because enemies spawn based on your location. If you run out, wait, and then run back, you'll have a much better time.

• ThatSwedishGuyThatSwedishGuy SwedenRegistered User regular
    CyborgZeta wrote: »
    I have to say that Soldiers feel entirely worthless in multiplayer (I don't have a good AR for Turian yet unfortunately). They feel dreadfully underpowered compared to the other classes, who all kill things far better and faster than the soldier does. Ultimately, being able to actually kill/disable those damn brutes/banshees crawling all over you matters far more than anything else. Maybe the Krogan is better?

I tried for several hours to win one silver match with my soldier. I've now done it with my Drell Adept (level 9, Level 12), with my Human Engineer (level 8, level 12) and even with my Level 9 Salarian Infiltrator. I mean really, I can get through this shit with characters half the level of my soldier at level 20? Is it the soldier or do I just do something terribly wrong?

Well - what guns are you carrying? They're a gun class. I guess they need super good guns.
    In my short experience with Soldier in multi, yeah, I agree that the Soldier isn't as effective when it's not packing good guns.

Again, I don't see how so many have so much trouble playing Soldiers in multiplayer. I run a lvl 20 Soldier on Silver and though I'm not in the top, I'm usually second or third, usually with very little difference between the two. But I don't go after the big guys, when everyone else is busy shooting at the Brutes, Banshees, Primes or Atlas, I make sure we don't get ambushed, I think out the number of small guys, I step in front of others to take the damage, I aggro the enemies so the Vanguards and Adepts and what not can ambush with their powers. That is what I do and it works incredibly well.

But tips for playing a Soldier, imho, is:
    Pack an assault rifle and a shotgun. I role with a Phaeston and Geth Shotgun. One lets me draw attention from a lot of enemies quickly and the other pretty much one shots the smaller ones when charged, meaning I can clean up while the others have fun with Brutes and Banshees.
    Boost your health and shield, melee and grenades. I heavy melee about as often as I shoot, as long as you've aimed right the enemies stop, when it hits they're staggered and in many cases it's either insta-kill or it only needs a quick follow up from the shotgun or even light melee. I also Grab a ton which I can because I can run through fire to cover, Grab then, put a grenade down, shoot anyone who looks at me funny and then just hightail it.
    Focus on the small ones and groups. With the Geth Shotgun, I can usually take down one or two, sometimes even three if their health is whittled down enough, and coupled with grenades, you're a beast to groups of small bastards. The only thing I try to do with the Brutes and Banshees is keep their attention on me (Phaeston is brutal for this) and the rest of the team can take them down quickly because they don't have to run backwards all the time.
    Be willing to bleed out. I've actually told the team multiple times that they should leave me to bleed out because if I die it's usually because I got swarmed and I'd rather not have them run into the mix and die trying. I've had hilarious sequences where someone dies, someone rushes in to revive them, dies just after, the revived person revives the one that revived him, then he dies, rinse, repeat.

So I guess it depends on how you want to play the game. I don't care about points, as long as the team wins in the end, I'm fine with whatever points I have. Especially since I run a lvl 20 whom have absolutely no use for XP so all that matters is getting the credits in the end.

At least, that's my take on it and I'm obviously doing something right 'cause it's been a while since I failed a Silver mission.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Does anything happen with the Prothean Orb in ME3?

Nope.

But speaking of:
    That actually flies in face of the Reapers leaving humanity alone. They obviously didn't wipe them out, but they killed at least one of them. Can't trust machines!

And Origin is a poor copy of Steam. Since they force you to use it everyone flaw of it is fair game.

Xeddicus on
    edited March 2012
    Raziel_pm wrote: »
    Mainstream media coverage of the controversy over Mass Effect 3's
    endings
    is spreading. Here's a link to the California Literary Review's article on the subject: http://calitreview.com/24673

Another pretty well said article. I love his analysis of the ending - sums up my thoughts well. Disagree with the idea that other critics didn't rate the game properly: It deserves the scores it gets despite what the ending does.

Aegeri on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I grow more at peace the ending the longer it's been since I've seen it. Not happy with it, or all right with it, or even further away from wanting a replacement (still holding out for
    Indoctrination DLC
    ), but I'm less angry every day.

But man. The guy running the Mass Effect Twitter is a machine. He's still going, taking all them tweets that all say the same thing. Must be a team of people working that thing.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    Yeah, you definitely want to get far from the landing zone before the last wave is announced, because enemies spawn based on your location. If you run out, wait, and then run back, you'll have a much better time.

My group has been doing this and the difference is astounding. We used to struggle on extraction; now it's easy.

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    I was nursing the fear for quite a while that I wasn't good enough to play Vanguard on Silver, or even that Vanguards weren't good neough to be competitive at higher difficulties.

Managed to win 2/3 public matches on Silver, though, and I feel intensely good about it because I contributed both times. Pierce on Nova is a godsend if you use it when your Charge cooldown is already finished.

Also, the first group I played with today taught me something important - on Noveria everybody tends to stay in that one area at the top of the ladder and the two staircases, right, straight across from the landing pad? When the extraction round came up, I high-tailed it to the landing zone - but the other three guys stayed right where they were. It took me a second to realize they were treating it like any other round, which meant killing enemies almost immediately after they spawned. Nothing's going to spawn at the extraction zone, after all.

So we stayed there for a minute and a half, only falling back for the last thirty seconds, and the whole round was a lot easier for it.

Hurray for immensely competent random public teams!

Vanguard on silver can be insanely effective for crowd control depending on how you build it. Personally I have multi-target charge, power bonuses up the tree, and piercing nova with x2 option. Pick your pistol, and then lead off with nova, nova, then charge. Picking your targets and knowing not to get too far away from the group is still crucial, though. If you're not crowd controlling next to your team, it doesn't benefit them, and it hurts you when you overextend yourself and become the only target in gunsight, or you have to run back through a bunch of the enemies to revive.

I think regular dodging gets underestimated with Vanguards, too. It lets you reassess the enemies around you, and eats up the 2 seconds or so until your charge is ready.

• stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Garris got sent to the big bar in the sky though on our way to the beam, which shook me up a bit. So did EDI's body.
    Not if you choose the Synthesis ending, or you romanced Garrus! If you did, then they're both alive. The implication being, they make it off in all endings.

You were trying to save the galaxy with your dying breaths, and they were running away. They abandoned you. They left you behind to die. They're fine by the way. Not even injured. They just turned around, got on the Normandy, and fled. Of course, Garrus will likely die of starvation soon if you choose the red or blue endings, and you just murdered EDI if you choose red. So I guess if you choose red you're right, you'll be able to meet them at the big bar in the sky and ask them why they didn't try to complete the mission.
    No Synthesis ending for me, though I imagine if I had gotten it I would have been a little pissed. In my head the Normandy taking off as soon as I activated the "device" hake sense. I always imagined the mass relays turning into GIGANTIC guns that tore though the reapers and could see why people would want as far away from the thing as possible once it turned on.

edited March 2012
    I grow more at peace the ending the longer it's been since I've seen it. Not happy with it, or all right with it, or even further away from wanting a replacement (still holding out for Indoctrination DLC), but I'm less angry every day.

But man. The guy running the Mass Effect Twitter is a machine. He's still going, taking all them tweets that all say the same thing. Must be a team of people working that thing.

I am 100% certain they (?) have seen the general sentence "ME3 was so awesome up until the ending, wtf bioware" so much now that it probably haunts their sleep by this point. ME3 must have exploded new users on twitter, so many of the people commenting have like no tweets except what they sent @masseffect.

Aegeri on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I just unlocked a Salarian engineer. What's the preferred build for that bad boy? I'm assuming go area and durability for energy drain, but what else?

This discussion has been closed.