As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] East Is Over, and so is this thread.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I live in Alaska and I'm wondering who else from Alaska will be going or is planning on going if there's a bunch well dang we might as well plan something together so we can help each other out like say booking rooms together or help get down there and back and what not.
    I live in Ketchikan and will be there. Unfortunately living here locks me out of doing anything with other AK people :(.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • grifta67grifta67 SF, CARegistered User regular
    All these questions about where to stay and no one has brought up hostels. I think it's the best way to go. Think about how much time you'll actually be spending in your hotel room. Probably jussssst enough to sleep for 5-6 hours and shower, right? A hostel is perfect.

The Green Tortoise is popular among PAX patrons and is only a 5 minute walk down the street from PAX. Like all hostels, you'll be in a shared room. There's lockers in the room for you to put all your stuff in (although you do need your own lock for it) and there's a few bathrooms in each hallway. Everyone there is super nice too. I flew into town Thursday this past year and was pleasantly surprised that the Tortoise even had free dinner that night!

Hostels are way cheap too. Last year I stayed in a room with 4 beds and it was only ~$35 per night. Mainly because of this, they also sell out pretty quickly.

The HI hostel in the International District is where I stayed for my first PAX. It's a bit further away, but it's within the free ride zone for busses and only took maybe 15 minutes from hostel to PAX.

Hotels are dandy but for the amount of time you'll actually be spending at whereever you're staying I think hostels are the best!

-Sean

Prime '09, '10, '11, '12, '13
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Since I won't be going to Prime for a while, I'll say my "secret" hotel location every year has been The Inn at the Virginia Mason.

Prices are on the cheap side for hotels ($95-110 per night) in Seattle and they are only 2 blocks at most from the Con. Stayed there 3 years and every time it has been clean and quaint. Their Queen Suite has a foldout couch and easily fits 4 people.

Though things to note:
    1. It's attached to a hospital. They have a second elevator that opens right into it. The Emergency room is also on the doorstep of the hotel. However, I have never been bothered by sirens as they usually turn them off once they get there.

2. It's at the top of a VERY steep hill. The construction is finally done though.

3. There's no parking attached to the hotel. You'll need to park around the block.

4. The hotel is "quaint" and isn't totally up to date on TVs/wifi.

5. If you mention you are staying for PAX they normally offer a discount, as they weren't on the on-peak list if I remember.

6. Rooftop patio. Yeah. Frickin' awesome.

7. The staff has always been super nice and the restaurant in the hotel is excellent. If that's too much though you can get food from the hospital's cafeteria. That's actually where their "room service" comes from. Ordered from them once and thought it was alright. Just make sure you tell them you want butter/jam/ etc because that's the only way you will get it extra.

All in all, it's a nice place to stay to consider.

• WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little Whore Mojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular
    Anyone have an estimate about when the hotel system will be up?

TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Westrunner wrote: »
    Anyone have an estimate about when the hotel system will be up?

After PAX East.

• jakers11jakers11 Registered User regular
    Any point to book a room for the Sheraton now? Or should I just wait for the system to be up on the PAXsite?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Wait. Unless you can get a super deal, PAX rate will be cheaper.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Also booking through onpeak gives you a greater chance of not being bumped out of the hotel in an overbooking scenario.

E6LkoFK.png

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    grifta67 wrote: »
    All these questions about where to stay and no one has brought up hostels. I think it's the best way to go. Think about how much time you'll actually be spending in your hotel room. Probably jussssst enough to sleep for 5-6 hours and shower, right? A hostel is perfect.

The Green Tortoise is popular among PAX patrons and is only a 5 minute walk down the street from PAX. Like all hostels, you'll be in a shared room. There's lockers in the room for you to put all your stuff in (although you do need your own lock for it) and there's a few bathrooms in each hallway. Everyone there is super nice too. I flew into town Thursday this past year and was pleasantly surprised that the Tortoise even had free dinner that night!

Hostels are way cheap too. Last year I stayed in a room with 4 beds and it was only ~$35 per night. Mainly because of this, they also sell out pretty quickly.
    Seconding this. I've stayed at the Green Tortoise many times and enjoyed it each time. You even get breakfast each morning, though it's just toast (with butter or pb&j), some fruit, and juice. Still, macronutrients!

You can get a private room for 2, but it's more like $60/person. And it does sell out every PAX now, sometimes months in advance.

Others have had luck getting similar prices per person by packing a bunch of people into a nicer hotel, like the Sheraton. If you can get enough people together, that's generally a much more comfortable route, though you don't get breakfast in the morning.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    For those who like to do room parties a hotel is the best thing. I love inviting random people to party and drink on first two nights..haha!

• lolmontlolmont Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    Might already be in the topic but anyone know a estimate when the badges will go on sale?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    After PAX East, best guess would be a month or so after.

• ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    Mid may is my guess. The timeline is a bit tighter so might be sooner then most years

I'll guess no later than a month after PAX East. Considering the Prime 3-days sold out in 22 days last year, people need to be quick. Make sure to follow http://twitter.com/official_pax to find out

• awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    This will be my first PAX event.

I'm trying to get my timing down on when I want to arrive. Just a couple quick questions, since I know there aren't any specifics out yet until PAX East is over.

1) When will the PAX Train, more than likely, be scheduled for arriving in Seattle? Thursday, Friday, earlier? Would be catching it from north of PDX.
    2) Is the Keynote usually worth going to? I know the speaker hasn't been announced yet.

I'm going with some friends, but they won't be arriving until Friday around Noon. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to arrive on Thursday & have an extra nights stay at a hotel so I can be there when PAX opens on Friday, or if I should just catch the train with them & arrive on Friday.

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
    awyldknght wrote: »
    This will be my first PAX event.

I'm trying to get my timing down on when I want to arrive. Just a couple quick questions, since I know there aren't any specifics out yet until PAX East is over.

1) When will the PAX Train, more than likely, be scheduled for arriving in Seattle? Thursday, Friday, earlier? Would be catching it from north of PDX.
    2) Is the Keynote usually worth going to? I know the speaker hasn't been announced yet.

I'm going with some friends, but they won't be arriving until Friday around Noon. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to arrive on Thursday & have an extra nights stay at a hotel so I can be there when PAX opens on Friday, or if I should just catch the train with them & arrive on Friday.

1) Thursday
    2) It depends on who it is and how much you want to go to the 1st Penny Arcade Q&A since the MT isn't cleared in between.

IMO it's always better to arrive at least a day prior so you can decompress and unpack without feeling rushed. Also, there's other panels that happen at the same time as the keynote and 1st PA Q&A that may end up interesting you, plus things like tabletop/freeplay/expo hall.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    ATTENTION PRIME PEOPLE!!!

I'm working on the 2012 version of the PRIME FAQ
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/139422/pax-prime-2011-information-and-faq-read-this-first-then-ask-all-questions-here#Item_1408

what do you think needs to be added or taken out?? Pls post feedback in this thread or PM me.

Thanks!!!
    :D

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    1) Thursday
    2) It depends on who it is and how much you want to go to the 1st Penny Arcade Q&A since the MT isn't cleared in between.

IMO it's always better to arrive at least a day prior so you can decompress and unpack without feeling rushed. Also, there's other panels that happen at the same time as the keynote and 1st PA Q&A that may end up interesting you, plus things like tabletop/freeplay/expo hall.

Thanks for your response. I guess I'll be aiming for arriving on Thursday then.

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/139422/pax-prime-2011-information-and-faq-read-this-first-then-ask-all-questions-here#Item_1408

what do you think needs to be added or taken out?? Pls post feedback in this thread or PM me.

Thanks!!!
    Two things that jump out after a quick skim.

I don't know if it's essentially the same amount of time before PAX each year, but maybe putting something in the hotels section about when OnPeak transfers over reservations so people know to at least wait until around that timeframe (if they read the FAQ of course) before calling hotels wondering about their reservation (also maybe add a blurb about how patrons will need to call OnPeak if they need to talk to someone before reservations are transferred.)

Pass selling information can probably (I assume the no pass trading will be in effect from now until the end of time?) removed for a simple "Due to counterfeiting issues at Prime '11, there will be no trading of passes on the PAX forum anymore." or something more eloquent lol.

Thanks!!!

I don't know if it's essentially the same amount of time before PAX each year, but maybe putting something in the hotels section about when OnPeak transfers over reservations so people know to at least wait until around that timeframe (if they read the FAQ of course) before calling hotels wondering about their reservation (also maybe add a blurb about how patrons will need to call OnPeak if they need to talk to someone before reservations are transferred.)

Pass selling information can probably (I assume the no pass trading will be in effect from now until the end of time?) removed for a simple "Due to counterfeiting issues at Prime '11, there will be no trading of passes on the PAX forum anymore." or something more eloquent lol.

Yes, the no pass selling is already in my new FAQ doc.

as for your first suggestion, it's great! and I'm adding it now to my draft! :D

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    I have a question about the registration process for Prime 2012. I live in the U.S., but I expect to move in the middle of summer (between registering and attending). With the threat of selling out so quickly, I can not wait until after I move to register, and USPS forwarding is not reliable enough for something this important. Is there a way to register early on with a U.S. address and force my badge to go to Will Call instead of being shipped? (As I recall, this was not an option on the form for U.S. addresses when registering early in previous years.)

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
    Initialdor wrote: »
    I have a question about the registration process for Prime 2012. I live in the U.S., but I expect to move in the middle of summer (between registering and attending). With the threat of selling out so quickly, I can not wait until after I move to register, and USPS forwarding is not reliable enough for something this important. Is there a way to register early on with a U.S. address and force my badge to go to Will Call instead of being shipped? (As I recall, this was not an option on the form for U.S. addresses when registering early in previous years.)

You can actually change your mailing information right on the registration site after you have purchased your pass! :)

• InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular

You can actually change your mailing information right on the registration site after you have purchased your pass! :)

Even better! Thank you!

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • byakuenbyakuen Somewhere in SeattleRegistered User regular
    FYI: those that are flying in to Seattle-Tacoma Airport and are staying in the Downtown area... If you are traveling light, it would be cheaper ($2.75 per person, taxi about $25-35 from the airport) to take the Sound Link Light Rail into Westlake Center from the airport and walking to hotel/convention center. Could also check out the hotels near the airport and see if they have free shuttle service into Seattle.

Mass transit here is decent, for the most part. The Free Ride Area in Downtown is closing at the beginning of September. Still, it is cheaper (at about $2.25 per person) than a taxi or rental car. Don't forget parking costs for the event depending on location $10 to $25 a day).

♥ Properly Pleased Participant of Past PAX PrimeWest: '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16

Thanks!!!

Yes, the no pass selling is already in my new FAQ doc.

as for your first suggestion, it's great! and I'm adding it now to my draft! :D
    Yay, I'm helping again!

byakuen wrote: »
    FYI: those that are flying in to Seattle-Tacoma Airport and are staying in the Downtown area... If you are traveling light, it would be cheaper ($2.75 per person, taxi about $25-35 from the airport) to take the Sound Link Light Rail into Westlake Center from the airport and walking to hotel/convention center. Could also check out the hotels near the airport and see if they have free shuttle service into Seattle.

Mass transit here is decent, for the most part. The Free Ride Area in Downtown is closing at the beginning of September. Still, it is cheaper (at about $2.25 per person) than a taxi or rental car. Don't forget parking costs for the event depending on location $10 to $25 a day).
    Second the light rail. My buddy and I both used it after we got in last Prime. Sure it's a little long, but there's more than enough variety in the scenery to make up for it (also it being cheap doesn't hurt either!)

• FaintheartFaintheart Registered User new member
    For the "suggested to bring" section, I'd recommend adding something specific about rain gear. Sweater/jacket was mentioned, but something that keeps you warm isn't necessarily going to keep you dry. Last year the lineup for the Paramount was outside.

Faintheart wrote: »
    For the "suggested to bring" section, I'd recommend adding something specific about rain gear. Sweater/jacket was mentioned, but something that keeps you warm isn't necessarily going to keep you dry. Last year the lineup for the Paramount was outside.

excellent suggestion! Thank you!

• GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Don't know if this has been answered yet, but any chance there might be an MMT or Pre-PAX dinner again this year? I know those aren't "official" prepax activities, but has anyone heard any talk about either?

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
    Don't know if this has been answered yet, but any chance there might be an MMT or Pre-PAX dinner again this year? I know those aren't "official" prepax activities, but has anyone heard any talk about either?

There almost definitely will be. These things won't get started until far closer to Prime than we are now. I'd guess around Mayish for the PPD, Mid June for the MMT? just guesses.

• sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    question if you book through the pax site do you need to pay upfront or can you pay at the hotel itself. I would love to book a room at the Sheraton but wont be able to pay for it all till ljune

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Faintheart wrote: »
    If it's anything like last year, sun block would be even better. I was out there with those lines all weekend, and there were a LOT of developing sun burns.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    sarge1445 wrote: »
    question if you book through the pax site do you need to pay upfront or can you pay at the hotel itself. I would love to book a room at the Sheraton but wont be able to pay for it all till ljune

Payment doesn't happen until you check out, provided you give OnPeak a credit card when making the reservation.

• Luke GLuke G Registered User new member
    I just got the new Guidebook IOS app and loaded up the PAX Prime schedule for this year. Couldn't find a schedule for the Celebrity D&D session. Does that mean we are not getting one this year??? I've been looking forward to this all year! Come on guys, don't let us down. Get the group back together. Go Binwin!!!

edited March 2012
    Luke G wrote: »
    I just got the new Guidebook IOS app and loaded up the PAX Prime schedule for this year. Couldn't find a schedule for the Celebrity D&D session. Does that mean we are not getting one this year??? I've been looking forward to this all year! Come on guys, don't let us down. Get the group back together. Go Binwin!!!

There isn't a pax prime schedule for this year yet. If you downloaded a pax prime schedule, it was for last year.... they /just/ released the PAX /EAST/ guide.

zerzhul on
    whypick1 wrote: »

Payment doesn't happen until you check out, provided you give OnPeak a credit card when making the reservation.
    and when i checkout do they use that card or can I use a different one and thank christ either way

I AM THE VAMPIRE
    Yes. Last East I used a credit card for the reservation, but I only had my debit card (fuck Bank of America forever) by the time PAX rolled around.

dyaballikl wrote: »

Seconding this. I've stayed at the Green Tortoise many times and enjoyed it each time. You even get breakfast each morning, though it's just toast (with butter or pb&j), some fruit, and juice. Still, macronutrients!

You can get a private room for 2, but it's more like $60/person. And it does sell out every PAX now, sometimes months in advance.

Others have had luck getting similar prices per person by packing a bunch of people into a nicer hotel, like the Sheraton. If you can get enough people together, that's generally a much more comfortable route, though you don't get breakfast in the morning.

how big are the lockers they give you

I AM THE VAMPIRE
    dyaballikl wrote: »

how big are the lockers they give you
    Fairly large. roughly 3 feet wide by about a foot and a half tall by around 2.5-3 feet deep. I've fit a good amount of luggage in there before.

a.k.a. dya
  • mike923mike923 Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »

and when i checkout do they use that card or can I use a different one and thank christ either way

Is this pretty standard for how OnPeak works? I went last year, but got a room about 30 mins away by bus because I had to put the money down for it since the others in my group wouldn't be able to pay until the event. So I had to go with a cheap place. I didn't know of OnPeak though. I just want to make sure that this is how it works, so I can tell the guys that we won't have to pay next month in order to get a good hotel close by. Might as well reserve asap.