As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sega insider leaks info on Shenmue HD

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    This might be a dumb question but I just want to ask before I get too excited. Assuming Shenmue II HD is a thing and assuming it'll be released as the rest of the Dreamcast titles have been, is there a chance it'll be released for both PS3 and 360? I mean, Shenmue II was published by Microsoft in NA which makes me think that 360 might get dibs. I would be super sad about that. (Not being console warz or anything, just would be annoyed if I could buy the first but not the second.)

Why wouldn't it be released on PS3?

Just because what I said. Microsoft got exclusive publishing rights for Shenmue II in NA for the OXBox, so I don't know if that would matter for now for a re-release, or not. I'm leaning towards figuring that it wouldn't matter, but I would just kind of like to know. I -did- say it might be a dumb question. >.>

Yeah I know, it was a pretty dumb question :)

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Need to finally see Ryo fight Lan Di/Chi You/whatever. I genuinely wanted to see what happens.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I'm looking for some sailors.

Heh, I'm looking forward to those busses and docks.

Seemed so real and valid, at the time.

fragglefart.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    This ongoing, it's-not-dead, returning dedication thing Sega's had going for Shenmue is kinda starting to creep me out. I know the original only came out in 2000, but given the original intended scope for this game and the ambition behind it, every time I hear about it coming around again, I begin thinking it's been like 20 goddamn years since the original.

It's like Shenmue is some kind of Haley's Comet of gaming.

Wow it seemed way older than 2000. I guess that says something about how it has aged.

steam_sig.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Shenmue has aged like a fine wine, my friend

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    A fine wine full of kittens, darts and space harrier. Oh yes, I sure played space harrier probably almost as much, if not more, than the actual first shenmue.

steam_sig.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yakuza is actually fun to play instead of being a boring qte game wrapped around one of the best goof off simulators ever.

Yakuza has the goof off plus is actually fun to play the main game.

But Yakuza isn't fun at all

Now I don't know what to think!

I always wanted to try Shenmue though.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    A fine wine full of kittens, darts and space harrier. Oh yes, I sure played space harrier probably almost as much, if not more, than the actual first shenmue.

What was nice about the arcade is that time still passed while you were playing in there. So, like in real life, you would go to the arcade and dick around whenever you needed to wait for something to happen.

I think the wait function in Shenmue II hurt the game as much as it helped, because you were never given a good reason to find things to do.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Dont forget capsule toys!

Also, now I remember where I got that info on Megumi (the cat) from. It was a supplemental disc that came with the first game. If you loaded it up, it would give you background info on characters you've met as well as give you a forecast (and contained the online leaderboards for the arcade games). Basically it would read your vmu data and unlock new things for you. Like how Nozomi was going to live with her relatives in Canada after school. And her.... relationship with Ryo.

Speaking of, apparently that teenage girl in Shenmue 2 (the one that has an obvious crush on Ryo) has a birthday during that game's time period. And you can hang out with her during it.

These games were pretty damn deep at times. (Still amazed at the fighting system. Practice a move enough and you actually improve upon it!)

newSig.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    'Teenage'? That's pretty generous of you.

Anyway, I played the original before I had to pack what I could. It was still fun in spite of being so old. Definitely curious to see how this turns out. Cautious, but not optimistic.

Anyway, a Shenmue comic. (Beware, the archives are sometimes NSFW. This one's...fine.)

• jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    When I read this rumor this morning, I immediately started sending text messages in all caps.

I will pay any amount of money to have those two games at 16:9 with a fixed framerate.

PSN: ZeroFourThree (PS3, PS4) | XBL: JerichoTwoFour (360, XB1)
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Shenmue has aged super poorly

But what it did at the time was something no other video game had even attempted, and most still don't - creating an incredibly strong sense of place using interactivity within the world, and attempting to tell a low key, down to earth story. Comparisons with the Yakuza games are inevitable, considering it attempts much the same thing through different methods

Also you can go into an arcade and goof off in both games, but in Shenmue you get to play Hang-On and Space Harrier, and in Yakuza all you get is Boxcelios

I never played Shenmue II, but unless it's exactly the same as the previous game, I'm guessing it's a bit more playable

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    How can you not play Shenmue 2 after playing one? How is this possible?

Mangaroo on
    Mangaroo wrote: »
    How can you not play Shenmue 2 after playing one? How is this possible?

I... didn't like 1 all that much?

Also I don't have an Xbox of any sort

signature-deffo.jpg
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Euro DC version is better by far, anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    215087164_BswKG-L-2.jpg[img][/img]

Mc zany on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Mass Effect runs into the same side quest problem. I sometimes wonder if it is better to just ditch the extra stuff and focus just on the main storyline. RPGs need to be shorter anyway.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I'm looking for some sailors.

Care to try a round of Lucky Hit?

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I ALREADY KNOW THE FUCKING RULE

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have a confession to make.
    I... I really liked the QTE sections in Shenmue and Shenmue II. Even though I know I'm just pushing a button in a specific time frame, the things Ryo would do always made me feel like a badass. That first QTE battle in the bar in the original Shenmue, for example.

I certainly hope there's some truth to these rumors. Even if III isn't anywhere on the horizon, the rich settings and activities of the Shenmue world are still great fun. Shenmue had this way of seizing me with its storytelling, even though the narrative unfolded very slowly and the voice acting left a lot to be desired. There was something thoughtful about living each day out with Ryo that made even his most minor discoveries compelling. I always wanted to keep playing.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    The only QTE bit I hated was in Shenmue 2, in Kowloon. Trying to climb that wreck of an apartment block to find Yuanda Zhu and crossing all those rickety planks above a massive drop. Fucking hated it.

"It would be a mess if I fell from there."

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Mass Effect runs into the same side quest problem. I sometimes wonder if it is better to just ditch the extra stuff and focus just on the main storyline. RPGs need to be shorter anyway.

The implosion of the internets would immediately follow if game devs suddenly cut out 70% of all their RPGs. Just sayin'.

QTEs have gotten a negative reputation, but I thought Shenmue did it pretty well.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I enjoy Yakuza enough, but it's Shenmue without the soul. It doesn't grab my attention like Shenmue did, I just come back to it every now and then.

Yakuza does rake in the $$$, though. Enough that I'd like to think Nagoshi could easily fund Shenmue 3 if he wanted to.

wVEsyIc.png
  • BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    This was the game that made me buy a Dreamcast based only on the graphics. Once I started playing, I thought the game was horrible. I just thought it was a boring convoluted mess, more of a tech demo than an actual game. Good news for those that loved the games.

I can't wait for the first person to come to the thread after the game comes out to ask how to pass the barber QTE.

Or was that in 2?

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    That video reminded me how much I loved the music in the game, and how the world just oozed atmosphere. Love that comic too. I spent so much time on the stupid collectables and screwing off.

Turkey wrote: »
    I can't wait for the first person to come to the thread after the game comes out to ask how to pass the barber QTE.

Or was that in 2?

Sounds like 2. Unless you meant 'tattoo'. I don't remember any QTEs related to barbers in the first one.

Since it's somewhat related: Yakuza 4 is pretty cheap now. Is it a good place to start the series?

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

Or was that in 2?

Sounds like 2. Unless you meant 'tattoo'. I don't remember any QTEs related to barbers in the first one.

Shenmue II without a doubt, since that's when the four Wudu come into play. I also remember failing that QTE the first time and being presented with a 'wait' option immediately afterward to kill a while day, which I believe was only an option in Shenmue II.

I never did like the wait option. It felt like cheating, somehow, or at least it felt like sacrificing a lot of the game. That's valuable Lucky Hit time, damnit!

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I still remember the QTE with the soccer ball like it was yesterday. I feel like it was the first QTE I ever experienced in a video game. I could be wrong. Was that or was it not the first QTE in Shenmue?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    edited March 2012
    Since it's somewhat related: Yakuza 4 is pretty cheap now. Is it a good place to start the series?

You can play Yakuza 4 and have a ton of fun. If you care, there's even an option in the menu to tell you what the fuck happened in the past three games, but it's not necessary except for context, since it focuses mostly on new characters

But if you can, I'd play Yakuza 3 first. It's a hell of a game, and it will let you get to know the old, awesome characters better

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    Alright, I'll get 3 first. It's even cheaper, actually!

For some reason I thought each game had a different cast or something. Shows how much I know about the series. :)

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Y4 has a largely new cast, so it's actually a great entry point. Kazuma Kiryu's the protagonist of 1-3, and he appears late in 4.

Also, Y3 removed content like the hostess clubs. Y4 has everything.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Haha. I want to play both of those games now.

Shemue is one of those games that I've always been told I need to play. I'm looking at copies on amazon right now. I should probably wait though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    I still remember the QTE with the soccer ball like it was yesterday. I feel like it was the first QTE I ever experienced in a video game. I could be wrong. Was that or was it not the first QTE in Shenmue?

Yeah. It happens on the first day you can leave the house. But it only happens if you get there early enough. Generally, there isn't really anything to do, other than the cat, at that point in the game. The only way you'd probably miss it would be if you investigated every door in the apartments before the shrine.

Only obsessive 'gotta see everything' types would do that on their first day in the game.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    215087164_BswKG-L-2.jpg[img][/img]
    shenmuecad.jpg

But really.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Would developing Shenmue have been as expensive if it had been done nowadays? It seems like a lot of the expense went into making it run on the Dreamcast.

It was originally planned to be a Saturn game.

If they developed it now, it'd be just as expensive as many of the current crop of mega-million budget games.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I dunno. On the one hand, there's a lot of tech out there now that simply didn't exist when Shenmue 1 and 2 were being done. So redoing Shenmue or continuing it is eminently more possible in that sense.

On the other hand, it's equally likely that, in keeping with the spirit of the originals, Yu Suzuki (or whoever else if not him) would decide to be so ambitious as to make all the tech developments of the last twelve years irrelevant, making the production just as hard as before.